OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 10:23:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calls for removal of "anti-Semitic" imagery in Orthodox Liturgy  (Read 21171 times) Average Rating: 0
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2013, 10:39:29 PM »

I know in Romania the patriarchate edited/toned down some of the more outrageous anti-jewish diatribes in the Lamentations of the Great Saturday.

Are there English translations of the new texts somewhere online?

What would you want them for? The edited version only lacks some stanzas, nothing new was added, nothing was re-written.

Liturgically informed people prefer the older (complete) version, because it has as many stanzas as there are verses in Psalm 118. It is also metrically better adapted to the music. People who use the "short" one completely omit the Psalm verses, which are actually much older and a constitutive part of all funeral office.

One "progressive" Romanian bishop even suggested dropping the Enkomia altogether, for the sake of "sobriety" and since it is the newest addition (apparently originating on the Holy Mountain) to the office of Great Saturday. That would be an outrage indeed, since people are so fond of it and everybody joins in when it is sung. 
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2013, 08:05:58 AM »

I know in Romania the patriarchate edited/toned down some of the more outrageous anti-jewish diatribes in the Lamentations of the Great Saturday.

Are there English translations of the new texts somewhere online?
No. The changes aren't very consistent  or even noticeable. Just some verses dropped or "Jews" replaced by "Judas".
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2013, 08:41:12 AM »

So smart and witty....

Be a good little Pole and I'll send you an 8x10 autographed picture.  Wink

You've obviously missed Michal's sig. Here it is:

Despite being a Polish citizen I am not a Pole.

Long live Belarus!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:41:54 AM by LBK » Logged
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2013, 08:49:05 AM »

Seriously, I wonder why some people are having so much fun singing about those "evil, wicked Jews"?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2013, 09:06:03 AM »

But it was okay for St. John Chrysostom to edit the liturgy of St. Basil?  Don't look at it with hindsight and say, "Ah, but he was a saint!"

Look at it from the POV of one of St. John's contemporaries, of whom I'm sure there was more than one who said, "HOW DARE THIS UPSTART EDIT OUR BELOVED LITURGY!"

You're certain that Constantinople in 400AD used a Cappadocian Liturgy which was revised by someone who died just twenty years earlier?

And isn't there a story about how a Pope tried to change the liturgy and was almost lynched for it?
Pope Paul VI?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2013, 09:11:28 AM »

Seriously, I wonder why some people are having so much fun singing about those "evil, wicked Jews"?

A story with all the bad-guys' bits edited out has no dramatic impact.

Can you imagine Purim without shouts of joy for Haman getting hanged? 
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2013, 09:24:07 AM »

So smart and witty....

Long live Belarus!

I could almost see the excitement in your eyes as you thought to yourself, "Gotcha!"  Wrong again, Large Bald Kid.  If Michael was born in Poland, speaks Polish, and still lives in Poland, guess what... he's Polish. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #142 on: May 02, 2013, 09:27:38 AM »

If Michael was born in Poland, speaks Polish, and still lives in Poland, guess what... he's Polish. 

Your logic is flawed.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #143 on: May 02, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »

So smart and witty....

Long live Belarus!

I could almost see the excitement in your eyes as you thought to yourself, "Gotcha!"  Wrong again, Large Bald Kid.  If Michael was born in Poland, speaks Polish, and still lives in Poland, guess what... he's Polish. 

You're taking your pick from the shovels in calling Michal a Pole. I know plenty of Belarussians who were born or grew up in Poland, who, in the Soviet era, would tolerate being called Russian, but God help you if you called them Polish.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #144 on: May 02, 2013, 09:31:42 AM »

If Michael was born in Poland, speaks Polish, and still lives in Poland, guess what... he's Polish. 

Your logic is flawed.

And self-identification is your security blanket.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #145 on: May 02, 2013, 09:32:08 AM »

So smart and witty....

Long live Belarus!

He may be Polish, but he's still not a Pole.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #146 on: May 02, 2013, 09:33:12 AM »

So smart and witty....

Long live Belarus!

Only to an American.  

Imagine a European calling you a Yankee because you were born in the US, speak English, and still live in the US and you'll start to grasp the difference between Ethnicity and Nationality among Europeans, especially Eastern Europeans.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #147 on: May 02, 2013, 09:39:48 AM »

Imagine a European calling you a Yankee because you were born in the US, speak English, and still live in the US and you'll start to grasp the difference between Ethnicity and Nationality among Europeans, especially Eastern Europeans.

No need to imagine. In colloquial Finnish  "jenkki" refers to all Americans irregardless of anything. You're all Yankees to me. Kiss
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2013, 09:44:20 AM »

So smart and witty....

Long live Belarus!

Only to an American.  

Amen, my dear Schultz. To which I'd add: Call a Southerner a Yankee and see how far you get.  Shocked
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #149 on: May 02, 2013, 09:45:23 AM »

So smart and witty....

Long live Belarus!

Only to an American.  

Indeed. I was born in in England, speak English (amongst other languages) and l live in England. I'm certainly not English. I have a British passport so you could say I'm British (I have British nationality) but I'd never identify that way and you could just as accurately say I was German (although, again I don't identify as such). Ethnicity does not equal nationality, and that's particularly obvious here. Almost nobody here would describe their ethnicity as British, and those that would seem somewhat confused.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #150 on: May 02, 2013, 09:47:57 AM »

So smart and witty....

Long live Belarus!

Only to an American.  

I know, I know... I was just having a little fun with the OC.Net trickster.

LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2013, 09:50:18 AM »

So smart and witty....

Long live Belarus!

Only to an American.  

I know, I know... I was just having a little fun with the OC.Net trickster.

Very unconvincing to this Large Bald Kid.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #152 on: May 02, 2013, 09:50:35 AM »

So smart and witty....

Long live Belarus!

Only to an American.  

Amen, my dear Schultz. To which I'd add: Call a Southerner a Yankee and see how far you get.  Shocked

That was his point.  Smiley

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2013, 01:37:21 PM »

So smart and witty....

Long live Belarus!

I could almost see the excitement in your eyes as you thought to yourself, "Gotcha!"  Wrong again, Large Bald Kid.  If Michael was born in Poland, speaks Polish, and still lives in Poland, guess what... he's Polish.  

It seems you are being deliberately offensive to Michal.  Try calling a person named say, Malcolm MacDougal , born in the United Kingdom near Edinboro who speaks English and who still lives there an Englishman or British and see what kind of reaction you will receive. Oh wait, you self identify as "Gabriel the Celt" so you should get it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:40:49 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2013, 01:43:47 PM »

So smart and witty....

Long live Belarus!

It seems you are being deliberately offensive to Michal.  Try calling a person named say, Malcolm MacDougal , born in the United Kingdom near Edinboro who speaks English and who still lives there an Englishman or British and see what kind of reaction you will receive.

It would be more interesting were the contributor to try and pull that stunt with a Glaswegian. A 'Glasgow kiss' would likely follow. Very direct and very painful.
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2013, 03:28:47 PM »

So smart and witty....

Long live Belarus!

Only to an American.  

Indeed. I was born in in England, speak English (amongst other languages) and l live in England. I'm certainly not English. I have a British passport so you could say I'm British (I have British nationality) but I'd never identify that way and you could just as accurately say I was German (although, again I don't identify as such). Ethnicity does not equal nationality, and that's particularly obvious here. Almost nobody here would describe their ethnicity as British, and those that would seem somewhat confused.

James
If you don't mind me asking, what are you then?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2013, 05:50:41 PM »

..., you self identify as "Gabriel the Celt" so you should get it.

Look who just caught up.  I think I established that several posts back.  Wink

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #157 on: May 02, 2013, 06:40:56 PM »

So smart and witty....

Long live Belarus!

Only to an American.  

James

I thought he was Romanian for some reason.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #158 on: May 02, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »

So smart and witty....

Long live Belarus!

Only to an American.  

James

I thought he was Romanian for some reason.
I thought that was only jure uxoris. I'm familiar with that situation.

Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #159 on: May 02, 2013, 11:04:51 PM »

Your logic is flawed.

Yep.  As everyone knows, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is obviously a bear.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #160 on: May 03, 2013, 12:56:31 AM »

Your logic is flawed.

Yep.  As everyone knows, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is obviously a bear.

Duckbear?   laugh

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2013, 01:03:53 AM »

Your logic is flawed.

Duckbear?   laugh

Finally, a post illustrating the proper response to the topic.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2013, 06:32:42 AM »

Your logic is flawed.

Duckbear?   laugh

Finally, a post illustrating the proper response to the topic.

Quackers.......!!!
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #163 on: May 05, 2013, 03:33:38 AM »

Your logic is flawed.

It is not so much a matter of logic, but more a matter of differing definitions on who is Polish, or who is Jewish, etc.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #164 on: May 05, 2013, 05:04:33 AM »

But it was okay for St. John Chrysostom to edit the liturgy of St. Basil?  Don't look at it with hindsight and say, "Ah, but he was a saint!"

Look at it from the POV of one of St. John's contemporaries, of whom I'm sure there was more than one who said, "HOW DARE THIS UPSTART EDIT OUR BELOVED LITURGY!"

You're certain that Constantinople in 400AD used a Cappadocian Liturgy which was revised by someone who died just twenty years earlier?

And isn't there a story about how a Pope tried to change the liturgy and was almost lynched for it?
Pope Paul VI?

No, someone in the early middle ages. I can't seem to remember his name, though.

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2013, 09:00:50 AM »

Your logic is flawed.

By citizenship yes, he may hold a Polish Passport and vote in elections as a citizen of Poland but his ethnicity may not be Polish.  Even the Byzantine Empire was multinational.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2013, 02:09:07 PM »

Your logic is flawed.

By citizenship yes, he may hold a Polish Passport and vote in elections as a citizen of Poland but his ethnicity may not be Polish.  Even the Byzantine Empire was multinational.

How is ethnicity determined?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #167 on: May 08, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »

You know, you have parents, and grandparents, and neighbours, and other family members and they bring you up, and you have some history... And it happens.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »

You know, you have parents, and grandparents, and neighbours, and other family members and they bring you up, and you have some history... And it happens.

You're thinking of culture which is different than ethnicity.  My wife is ethnically Korean but she was raised by her white adoptive parents, grandparents, neighbors, and other family members deep in the Ozarks. 

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #169 on: May 08, 2013, 02:41:54 PM »

You're thinking of culture which is different than ethnicity.  My wife is ethnically Korean but she was raised by her white adoptive parents, grandparents, neighbors, and other family members deep in the Ozarks. 

Do not tell me what should I be.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2013, 02:51:09 PM »

I'm telling you that your definition of ethnicity seems wrong.  A person's ethnicity does not necessarily have anything to do with who or where you were raised.  If you were raised in Zimbabwe, you would still be an ethnic Belarus, but you're culture would very likely not be.  See the difference? 

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2013, 02:57:09 PM »

This is overly general and is subject to varying interpretations. You parents and grandparents could be from China,and have some history in China, but they are white Russians who moved to northern China. Or going way back, one member could be Chinese, and another member was black,  but the others were Russians.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2013, 02:58:10 PM »

I'm telling you that your definition of ethnicity seems wrong.  
Well then, what is the correct definition of ethnicity?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #173 on: May 08, 2013, 02:58:45 PM »

You're thinking of culture which is different than ethnicity.  My wife is ethnically Korean but she was raised by her white adoptive parents, grandparents, neighbors, and other family members deep in the Ozarks.  

I'm telling you that your definition of ethnicity seems wrong.  A person's ethnicity does not necessarily have anything to do with who or where you were raised.  If you were raised in Zimbabwe, you would still be an ethnic Belarus, but you're culture would very likely not be.  See the difference?  

If I had been raised in Zimbabwe in the very same way I was I would be a Belarus. On the other hand, if I had been raised as a Zimbabwean I would be a Zimbabwean (or, more precisely, a Zibwabweanised Belarus).

This is overly general and is subject to varying interpretations.

Did I say it isn't?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:00:46 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #174 on: May 08, 2013, 03:06:20 PM »

If I had been raised in Zimbabwe in the very same way I was I would be a Belarus. On the other hand, if I had been raised as a Zimbabwean I would be a Zimbabwean (or, more precisely, a Zibwabweanised Belarus).

You're still talking about culture here. Ethnicity has nothing to do with upbringing whatsoever. For example, a child born of Ethnic Indian parents in America might have an American culture, but he will definitely still be ethnically Indian.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #175 on: May 08, 2013, 03:09:20 PM »

For example, a child born of Ethnic Indian parents in America might have an American culture, but he will definitely still be ethnically Indian.

I disagree.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:09:44 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2013, 03:14:52 PM »

For example, a child born of Ethnic Indian parents in America might have an American culture, but he will definitely still be ethnically Indian.

I disagree.

Do you think his brown skin will disappear? Or maybe that his eyes will turn blue? Ethnicity is about genetics. Culture is about community.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #177 on: May 08, 2013, 03:19:50 PM »

Before we go further, agreed upon definitions are in order for Ethnicity, Culture, Citizenship, and Nationality.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:20:07 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #178 on: May 08, 2013, 03:29:54 PM »

Before we go further, agreed upon definitions are in order for Ethnicity, Culture, Citizenship, and Nationality.

Here are mine.

Ethnicity: An ethnic group or ethnicity is a population of human beings whose members identify with each other, on the basis of a real or a presumed common genealogy or ancestry.   

Culture: A way of life of a group of people--the behaviors, beliefs, values, and symbols that they accept, generally without thinking about them, and that are passed along by communication and imitation from one generation to the next.

Citizen: A native or naturalized member of a state or nation who owes allegiance to its government and is entitled to its protection ( distinguished from alien ).

Nation: Nation may refer to a a community of people who share a common language, culture, ethnicity, descent, or history.

Sources in headings.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:30:19 PM by sheenj » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2013, 03:34:24 PM »

I was watching Andrew Zimmern's culinary show yesterday.  He was down in Jamaica.  One of the folks he showcased was an ethnic Chinese family living there.  If you were to close your eyes, listening to them talk you wouldn't know they were ethnic Chinese.  But they were showcasing how they blended ethnic Chinese culture with the surrounding Jamaican culture.  And every'ting was irie, mon.  Smiley

Tags: Political Correctness historical revisionism New Israel The Rudder Canons Israel Zionism 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: