OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:59:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer request ...  (Read 1155 times) Average Rating: 0
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« on: April 21, 2007, 11:12:38 AM »

We've not yet reached a point where we are ready to tell people that we're investigating Orthodoxy.  We want to wait until after we've spoken to the priest of the local Greek Orthodox parish and we know better where we stand.

But we're attending (in the interim) the Divine Liturgy at th GO parish and not at any Catholic parish.  I'm also finding myself adopting a more "Eastern" attitude toward some issues and developing a sympathy for the Orthodox view on many issues.  When these issues are discussed (yes, believe it or not religious discussion is a key component in some of these friendships) it is hard to hide completely or even tone down my obvious leaning toward Orthodox thought and belief.  It's becoming stressful to keep trying to "hide" this.  I rather feel as though I'm living a double life.  It has been like this for nearly 2.5 years.  But before now my friends assumed it was because I was gravitating toward Eastern Catholicism (a move that some still found cause for "concern").  Now that they know that I've moved to an area where I do not have easy access to an Eastern Catholic Divine Liturgy any mention of attending a DL makes them take note.

I'm not usually one to shy away from confrontation - but these are people I like and care about.  I know that my decision is going to cause them distress and will, in some cases hurt them or lead them to feel betrayed. 

If you would, prayers for discernment on when and how to tell people ... and for patience so that I don't blurt something out at an inopportune moment ... would be greatly appreciated.

Carole
Labosseuse

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 11:55:33 AM »

I can relate.  It's been a few weeks since I started researching in earnest and I can feel a change.  I'm naturally a very curious woman and will sometimes want to find out all I can about a subject...but this feels different.  It's scary, isn't it? 

I will most certainly pray.

"The act of faith is a constant dialogue with doubt." Bishop J.T. Robinson
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 12:26:07 PM »

Yes, it is an important period. May God bless your journey.

Just my $0.02. May be your corollaries and thoughts should be presented to your friends as a result of research of roots of Catholic faith. Because in reality that is the case.

Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 12:26:53 PM by Starlight » Logged
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 12:45:55 PM »

May the Holy Spirit give you wisdom for discernment and the Father give you grace for growth, you all shall be in my prayers.  Lord have mercy.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 12:48:18 PM »

Thank you both so very much.  In some ways I feel I am being dishonest (or at least disingenuous) by not being more forthcoming about our intentions.  In other ways I feel rather as though I am protecting myself and my family - as I know that some of our friends will be concerned but gentle in their comments and others will likely be very harsh. 

For 2 of the past 2.5 years we have had the "cover" of being part of a Byzantine Catholic parish so our Roman Rite friends simply assumed that our more "Eastern" outlook was part and parcel of our participation in the Eastern Catholic Rite and not necessarily indicative of a conversion of thought or heart to Orthodoxy.  I have been, for the most part, content to let them make that assumption without contradiction.  Mostly because it was easier.  But also in part because we were not certain in what direction we were moving.

Oh well ... no one ever said life was easy! I greatly appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

Carole
Lauren_Elisse
Elder

Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: United States

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 01:12:42 AM »

I will pray for both you and the people you care for.
As far as "hiding" your faith goes' you're spiritual life is between no one but you and God.
Sad to say but it is none of their business what liturgy you choose to attend.
Go with what you feel to be right.
Would you rather please friends or please God?

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 02:34:04 AM »

Lord have Mercy.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 11:24:10 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: