OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 02:12:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting  (Read 1508 times) Average Rating: 0
Uncle

« on: April 21, 2007, 02:20:00 AM »

Hello,

I would like to convert to the holy Orthodox Church but their is no parishes close to where I live but their is a Serbian Orthodox Monastery about 57 miles away from where I live can go to the monastery and can they help me convert?

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 02:35:17 AM »

Are you sure there are no parishes that are close enough? Say 100 miles? Where do you live? If you don't want to disclose that info here, make sure you at least do a search using the official directory of SCOBA parishes, which is available online (thanks to certain good men at a certain Greek Orthodox Theological School!). Check it out: http://scoba.us/directory/

If there truly isn't anything around, you may be able to convert at this Serbian monastery, but everything will depend on the blessing of that monastery's abbot and its ruling Bishop. I know of cases where individuals have been catechized and received in monasteries, but it is highly preferable to undergo one's catechumenate in a parish.

Welcome to the forum and God bless!

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Uncle

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 03:12:59 AM »

Hey thanks for the site I found a Orthodox Church in America Parish thats 66 miles away!!
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 03:18:25 AM »

Excellent news! I hope it will be an active and welcoming spiritual home.

Just a general point of information: This online version of the SCOBA directory is now THE place to turn for questions of parish information -- even more so than the print version. According to the GOA Department of Internet Ministries, they are going to be constantly updating it with all available information.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 12:41:50 PM »

but it is highly preferable to undergo one's catechumenate in a parish.

Yes, I completely agree on that!

(thanks to certain good men at a certain Greek Orthodox Theological School!). Check it out: http://scoba.us/directory/

Oh, yes! They deserved maximum of appreciation. Their results help so much! A real example of bringing Orthodoxy together.

An analogous directory may be found at:
http://www.orthodoxyinamerica.org/sr2_0_0/locator.php
Similarly, special thanks to Fr. John for origination and careful maintenance of that site.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 12:42:44 PM »

Uncle, welcome to the forum and welcome home to Orthodoxy!
Uncle

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 09:46:32 PM »

Thanks its good to be home!!
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 08:39:18 AM »

May I be so bold as to ask which Serbian Monastery?  If you don't want to make that public just Private Message me. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: