OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 02:06:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is globalization evil for the art world?  (Read 697 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: April 19, 2007, 01:05:40 PM »

I am quickly coming to the conclusion that the internet/globalization is evil.

Looking at the websites of young artists from around the globe, the work that they are producing is looking eerily similar. The internet appears to be spreading a cancer of "deviant art" across the world.

This is sad. Everything is gonna look like the US in 20 years. I hate that.

Maybe I should start collecting traditional paintings, it seems that none of the younger artists use that medium anymore, or then again, maybe that is just because you can't upload a painting. So maybe that is a false assumption on my part.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 01:47:09 PM »

I think it can be positive as well as negative. For example, I'm sure a site like myspace helps promote musical groups quite a bit. If I've never heard of a band, I'll go to their myspace page, which usually have a few of their songs, bio information, etc. I've probably done that a couple dozens times now, with some good results (for both I and the band's pocketbook). I even happened upon a musician, Akira Naito, that I had been talking with back in the late 90's, but that I had lost contact with after he returned to Japan. Another musician that I like, also living in Japan at the moment, is Marty Friedman; without the internet, I most likely wouldn't have been able to follow what he was doing.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: