Author Topic: Is globalization evil for the art world?  (Read 1043 times)

Offline TomS

• Archon
  • "Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono
Is globalization evil for the art world?
« on: April 19, 2007, 01:05:40 PM »
I am quickly coming to the conclusion that the internet/globalization is evil.

Looking at the websites of young artists from around the globe, the work that they are producing is looking eerily similar. The internet appears to be spreading a cancer of "deviant art" across the world.

This is sad. Everything is gonna look like the US in 20 years. I hate that.

Maybe I should start collecting traditional paintings, it seems that none of the younger artists use that medium anymore, or then again, maybe that is just because you can't upload a painting. So maybe that is a false assumption on my part.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Is globalization evil for the art world?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 01:47:09 PM »
I think it can be positive as well as negative. For example, I'm sure a site like myspace helps promote musical groups quite a bit. If I've never heard of a band, I'll go to their myspace page, which usually have a few of their songs, bio information, etc. I've probably done that a couple dozens times now, with some good results (for both I and the band's pocketbook). I even happened upon a musician, Akira Naito, that I had been talking with back in the late 90's, but that I had lost contact with after he returned to Japan. Another musician that I like, also living in Japan at the moment, is Marty Friedman; without the internet, I most likely wouldn't have been able to follow what he was doing.
"Fear not to follow with pious feet the corpse of Hafiz, for though he was drowned in the ocean of sin, he may find a place in paradise." - Hafez