OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 08:01:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relics of the Saints  (Read 1555 times) Average Rating: 0
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« on: August 05, 2007, 08:11:52 PM »

In the early Church, relics of the Saints appear to be very efficacious but in our day such practices appear to be very unpopular, especially in the West. Is this something others have witnessed?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 08:19:08 PM »

Can you be a little more specific in your question?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 08:25:23 PM »

Can you be a little more specific in your question?

I asked a Priest (OCA Mission Parish) about Relics and he appeared dismissive. I felt like he thought it was superstitious and not really a modern understanding of the faith.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 08:37:02 PM »

I think you will find many Orthodox very reverent about the relics of the saints. There isn't so much a desire to keep them in ones possession but rather have them in a church or a monastery so that all may be have the ability to venerate them.

Joseph
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 08:41:44 PM »

Indeed. A local 50 year old ACROD parish recently had relics finally placed in their altar. Strangely, the entire parish, which was withering, is rejuvenating - suddenly growing again, contributions up markedly, people getting along better...superstitious? Maybe, but then...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 08:49:01 PM »

In lots of Coptic Churches there are so many relics... and many of them just aren't legitimate... Bought from Catholics who really didn't know if they're who they said they were, or just dug up from a town where everyone was killed and all counted as martyrs, etc.  Tiny fragments of bones, some from the person claimed, some not.  So some people see these, are taught to kiss them, it seems silly and superstitious, people dislike it... But then many people tell me of trips to monasteries where they have real relics, and the miracles they have, and the way they feel in the presence of them... My church doesn't have any relics, because so many of them are fake, so my priest doesn't go after them.  But my priest also talks about the things he's seen, he's definitely not cold about relics, just abuses.  Probably a totally different situation in other Churches, but maybe similar things happen?
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 09:05:30 PM »

My fiancee's friend was cured of crippling depression (plagued her for years, went for professional help, multiple suicide attempts, etc) at the Monastery of Ostrog, which is believed to hold the relics of St. Basil of Ostrog. 

Superstition?  I personally do not think so.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 09:08:34 PM »

Relics in the Orthodox Chuirch are deeply revered. Sadly except for some 8-10 currently Glorified Saints in the North America all of our relics must come from  other parts of the world from Churches and monasteries who by love and condescension grant us a sliver of this bone or a small fragment of that relic. We do not have whole or nearly whole uncorrupt bodies of the saints that one finds in the old country. I remember when we got a relic from St Raphael Hawaweeny, our parish was greatly blessed. It is now enshrined in a handwritten Icon and many members of our convert parish venerate it and ask for his prayers for the conversion of their lost sheep in their family to Orthodoxy. What a blessing! We have also been blessed to have a relic of Sy Justin Martyr, and St John Chrysostom.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags: relics 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: