OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 11:06:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We did it!  (Read 727 times) Average Rating: 0
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« on: April 16, 2007, 09:02:26 AM »

And it was wonderful.  It was both very similar and very different from the Byzantine Catholic Divine Liturgy that we are used to.  Mostly because I don't speak Greek  Grin  We did stand out a bit in the parish.  Mostly because it is a small parish where everyone knows everyone else so we were obviously visitors.    We were made to feel very welcome and we had a chance to meet and speak with the priest. We are going to be meeting with him in the near future for more in depth discussions regarding Orthodoxy and conversion.

Thank you all so much for your help and your kindness in answering my questions.  I'm pretty sure that you've only seen the tip of the iceburg in my question asking. 

God bless,

Carole

Carole
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 09:07:01 AM »

Wonderful news!  Attending your first Liturgy is never as scary as you imagine.  I didn't realize it was an all Greek Liturgy.  While it sounds holy and mysterious, if you don't understand Greek, will that be a frustrating problem for you eventually?  I imagine it's the same problem as an all Latin mass. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 09:13:49 AM »

Wonderful news!  Attending your first Liturgy is never as scary as you imagine.  I didn't realize it was an all Greek Liturgy.  While it sounds holy and mysterious, if you don't understand Greek, will that be a frustrating problem for you eventually?  I imagine it's the same problem as an all Latin mass. 

It wasn't all Greek - some of it was in Greek and some was in English.  Which isn't hugely different from our old Byzantine Catholic parish where some of the Divine Liturgy was done in Ukrainian (which I don't speak either).  Eventually we just got used to the phonetics (if not the meaning) and we knew what was happening even if we didn't truly understand the language.  Which is not unlike the Latin Masses we have attended.  Though I admit that following along with the Latin was easier as we share a common alphabet and many of the words are obvious as the root of the English words.  The Greek is a bit harder to "dope out" as the alphabet is so considerably different.

I assume it will be somewhat the same here that we will easily understand the English portions and learn the meaning, if not understanding the language, of the Greek portions.

Carole
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: