OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 04:25:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tattoos?  (Read 6941 times) Average Rating: 0
Norwegian-Orthodox

« on: April 16, 2007, 02:20:41 AM »

Lately I’ve been thinking about getting a tattoo, but when I talked to one of my friends she said that the Orthodox Church frowns upon “marking your body.” Is this just some people’s opinion or is there a rule buried deep in canon law? What if my tattoo is IC/XC NIKA?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 02:21:42 AM by Norwegian-Orthodox » Logged
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 02:27:35 AM »

Here is a good little article from the OCA's site on the tattoo/piercing subject:  http://www.oca.org/QA.asp?ID=71&SID=3

I hope it helps.   Smiley
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 02:28:02 AM by Friul » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 07:03:04 AM »

What if my tattoo is IC/XC NIKA?

You mean, like mine? Sorry, but I did it first!
And don't even think of getting a double-headed eagle...I'm booked to get mine done in 2 weeks! Cheesy
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6919/1604072053nk0.jpg

« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 07:27:38 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 08:21:45 AM »

OzGeorge,

What a great way to get the right kind of tatoo.  A few inches lower and it would be how the arab, Egyoption , and Ethiopian's place their Christian tatoos of the cross. They have done this for generations so they can recognize a christian and assure they get a Christian burial instead of a muslim one if they die away from home and a stranger.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 08:30:05 AM »

A few inches lower and it would be how the arab, Egyoption , and Ethiopian's place their Christian tatoos of the cross.
A few inches lower and my maiden Aunt will see it when I kiss her hand. I don't care what the world knows about me, as long as Aunt Sophia doesn't find out!

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 09:03:13 AM »

Wow George I'm jealous. I would love to get the roman eagle. Maybe one day I'll get the courage to do it. What really holds be back is I'm afraid of what my mother would think. I'm still a Mamas boy.  Grin

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Norwegian-Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 12:27:40 PM »

You mean, like mine? Sorry, but I did it first!
And don't even think of getting a double-headed eagle...I'm booked to get mine done in 2 weeks! Cheesy

Drat! You even have in the same spot I was planning on! I'm getting mine in red with two roman eagles in the background!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 12:29:19 PM by Norwegian-Orthodox » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 05:43:03 PM »

Drat! You even have in the same spot I was planning on! I'm getting mine in red with two roman eagles in the background!
Just be warned, tattoos can be addictive! As I said, I'm getting the double-headed eagle next (right bicep) and the one I get after that will be the Cross with the 4 "B's around it on the left bicep. So don't use up all the designs you can use in your first tattoo!
Also, I'd think twice about getting tattoos done in red on the wrist! It may look like you've been hacking at your wrist with rusty razors!

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 10:41:44 PM »

That is interesting, that you put it in the same place where Copts and Ethiopians put it.  Is the tattoo black or dark green?

Personally, as a Copt, I frown upon cross tattoos.  In Egypt, they choose a specific color (blue or green) and the place (right wrist or thenar) for symbolic purposes as well as ID purposes in an Islamic-ruled slightly oppressive country that won't allow Muslims to convert back to Christian or would let kidnappings for the purpose of forced conversions into Islam go unchecked sometimes.

In the diaspora, I'm quite vociferous against the use of Cross tattoos because the idea behind it has not been taken seriously, and many people get it with nice designs rather than be humble about it. (It's interesting that even our own Coptic Pope does not have a cross tattoo.)

Like HG Bishop Youssef, bishop of the Southern US Diocese of the Coptic Church said, we need to tattoo the cross on our hearts more than our wrists these days.

God bless.

Mina
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 10:43:20 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »

I don't live in an Orthodox Christian ruled country either. Wink
I agree that it is important that we inscribe the Cross on our hearts, but I think it's also important, particularly in Western society that we are prepared to not be ashamed of Christ. From the day of our baptism in the Greek Orthodox Church, we wear a Cross around our necks, we inscribe the Cross on our Churches, place it on the walls of our homes and sign ourselves with it both privately and publically.
The main reason I got my tattoo was because my eldest Godson (20 y.o.) confided in me that he wanted to get one, but his parents threatened to disown him if he did, and were using the old "The body is the Temple of the Lord" argument.  Yes, the body is the Temple of the Lord, but the reality is that many young people in our Western society choose to "adorn" the exterior of their Temple. I think that it's best to swim with the tide rather than try and stop it, and guide them in ways of adorning the exterior of their Temple in ways which are more appropriate for Orthodox Christians rather than putting an image of a naked woman with a snake wrapped around her on their skin. Wink
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 11:10:45 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 11:19:29 PM »

The whole "swimming with the tide" thing depends on the environment of people you're exposed to. 

I'm glad you didn't use the "it's helpful for evangelization" argument because that just annoys me.  It's like you can't evangelize by your actions (which we tend to lack), but with intellectual conversations that stem from a skin marking?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 11:21:11 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Theognosis

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 11:35:46 PM »

You're such a bad influence, ozgeorge.  I am opposed to tattoos all my life.  Or at least used to be.  Just last night, I asked my wife if she'd allow me to have a nice little cross with IC XC NIKA tattooed on my wrist.

She said, "Are you kidding me?  No way!!!"

Oh well.  I'll just perish the thought for now.  Next time, I will negotiate for a henna.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 11:51:34 PM »

She said, "Are you kidding me?  No way!!!"
LOL Cheesy
As my dear Father used to say:
"Η φωνή της κυρίας του σπιτιού είναι η φωνή του Θεού." ("The voice of the lady of the house is the voice of God").

Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 04:03:00 AM »

Just be warned, tattoos can be addictive! As I said, I'm getting the double-headed eagle next (right bicep) and the one I get after that will be the Cross with the 4 "B's around it on the left bicep. So don't use up all the designs you can use in your first tattoo!
Also, I'd think twice about getting tattoos done in red on the wrist! It may look like you've been hacking at your wrist with rusty razors!

Nice, I have also been thinking about getting the double headed eagle on my chest. It would compliment the one I just had done last week on my upper right arm shown below. Of course this pic was taken tonight, which included alot of horseplay from some of the fellas from Church..... Grin
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 04:21:06 AM by Nacho » Logged

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 06:31:30 AM »

It would compliment the one I just had done last week on my upper right arm shown below.
I like it! But I think it's going to need some touching up later under the "XC" (you haven't been picking or rubbing the scabs have you?!) Use a mild nappy rash ointment with an antiseptic on it like Bepanthen twice a day until it heals.
We should start a "Show Us Your Orthodox Christian Tattoos" thread in the Gallery section! In fact, I think I'll ask the admins now if we can do it! At any rate, you should put one of the photos of you and the guys in the gallery section in the "people" thread. Come to think of it, I really should put one of myself there!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 07:09:03 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 10:27:43 AM »

We should start a "Show Us Your Orthodox Christian Tattoos" thread in the Gallery section! In fact, I think I'll ask the admins now if we can do it!

Hmm...great idea!

Why don't we, for now, post photos of our tattoos in the People section of the Gallery. If we get a lot of tattoo photos, we can consider making a new section entirely.

And, I would think it great if others looked at the Gallery and posted photos there. The Churches section has some beautiful photos, and the People section helps us put a name and a face together.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 02:13:13 PM »

I like it! But I think it's going to need some touching up later under the "XC" (you haven't been picking or rubbing the scabs have you?!) Use a mild nappy rash ointment with an antiseptic on it like Bepanthen twice a day until it heals.
We should start a "Show Us Your Orthodox Christian Tattoos" thread in the Gallery section! In fact, I think I'll ask the admins now if we can do it! At any rate, you should put one of the photos of you and the guys in the gallery section in the "people" thread. Come to think of it, I really should put one of myself there!

No, I haven't rubbed hard on the tat area. I put some moisturizing cream on it throughout the day. I'm hoping by next week some of the scabbing will clear up. I'm already getting some compliments from people and some questions as to what kind of cross it is. It's a nice little conversion starter. I ussually work out with my wife beater on, so its very visible and I notice alot of people looking at it. I'm hoping that it will give me more oppurtunities to share the Orthodox faith and invite people to church that seem interested. Myabe more of us can get tats & do the same! Good suggestion about the gallery section, I'll take some more pics when they guys come over soon.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 11:40:06 PM »

Bump...Lets see some more if anyone would like to post theirs.

A Sombra

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 02:01:46 AM »

I have read that tattoos were "all the rage" in late 19th century Russia, and that the Holy Royal Martyr Nicholas was but one of the Royal Family who had a tattoo. Also, speaking of fads and fahsions that are maybe not the best thing to do, cocaine was also "all the rage" in Russia at the same time . . . and yep, many members of the Royal Family found that they could use it as a "pick me up." Of course, Pope Leo XIII even endorsed "Vin Coca Mariana," wine that had been infused with cocaine! Can't leave the Catholics out here, can we now?
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 02:14:44 AM »

Of course, Pope Leo XIII even endorsed "Vin Coca Mariana," wine that had been infused with cocaine! Can't leave the Catholics out here, can we now?

Queen Victoria enjoyed her Vin Mariani as well, why leave out the Anglicans?   Wink  A whole lot of drinks during that period were treated with coca leaves.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 09:33:09 AM »

YEAH LIKE COCA COLA.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags: tattoos 
Pages: 1   Go Up