OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 04:25:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $26.6 million to family members of the astronauts  (Read 1035 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: April 15, 2007, 11:27:49 AM »

"ORLANDO, Florida (AP) -- NASA paid $26.6 million to family members of the astronauts who died on the space shuttle Columbia in 2003, a newspaper reported Sunday, citing recently released documents.

Documents obtained by the Orlando Sentinel through a federal Freedom of Information Act request show that former FBI Director William Webster helped negotiate out-of-court settlements with the families.

NASA obtained money for the settlement through a congressional appropriation in 2004, NASA spokesman Allard Beutel said."

--

I find this settlement disgusting.

Meanwhile the family of troops killed in battle get nothing but survivor benefits! Would it be too much for the government to pay 1 million to the family of any serviceman/woman killed in battle plus ongoing survivor benefits?
1 million dollars is nothing to the government.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 01:13:04 PM »

I do believe 1 million dollars would be unreasonable, when you volunteer for the military you take the risk of dying in combat, no one owes your family a monetary settlement if you do die; hundreds of thousands have died fighting for our country over the last century, all their families got were flags.

Likewise, I believe settlement for the astronauts to be unreasonable, when you sign up for the space programme and fly to space on what are essentially experimental aircraft, you take the risk of something going wrong and not making it home, every astronaut knows the history of the programme and risks inherent in space travel in this day and age, it's just the nature of the job...if you dont like it find another career, it's not like they're forcing people into the space programme Roll Eyes

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 09:46:44 PM »

Where does the government get the money to give to other people, be they the families of astronauts or of military casualties?  From Joe Taxpayer, that's who!  Would you be willing to pay more in taxes so that every family of a war casualty can receive a 1-million-dollar benefit?  (As long as we understand this truth, I can't say Tom's idea is necessarily bad.)

Just a thought (from PtA): we need to be very careful with the potential of this subject to turn into a political discussion, such as are forbidden on this public forum.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 09:54:06 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 12:53:56 AM »

Would you be willing to pay more in taxes so that every family of a war casualty can receive a 1-million-dollar benefit? 

No. But I WOULD be willing to reduce the AID that we give to foreign (especially Muslim countries such as Egypt which received 1.2 BILLION dollars in US aid in 2004) in order to do to do so. Wouldn't you"?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 12:56:18 AM by TomS » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 12:58:35 AM »

No. But I WOULD be willing to reduce the AID that we give to foreign (especially Muslim countries such as Egypt which received 1.2 BILLION dollars in US aid in 2004) in order to do to do so. Wouldn't you"?

I don't see how that is objectionable...

Has Egypt given us any monies on a consistent basis?  (I don't count anything from the Lockerby incident even if it was anything at all.)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 10:31:41 PM »

Pentagon announces plan to improve care for injured soldiers

"Under criticism for poor treatment of injured soldiers, the Pentagon announced new measures Tuesday to provide more health screenings, improve its record-keeping system and simplify an unwieldy disability claims system. Testifying before a House panel, Michael Dominguez, principal deputy undersecretary of defense, and Major Gen. Gale Pollock, the Army's acting surgeon general, acknowledged a need for major changes in the outpatient treatment of wounded soldiers and veterans..."

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 02:24:23 PM »

Don't forget the billions of dollars and lives spent for the chosen ones.  I curse them everytime I have to  take off my shoes at the airport.

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: