OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 07:42:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Historic Gatherings of West Coast Canonical Orthodox Bishops in Bright Week  (Read 2377 times) Average Rating: 0
kelfar

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Byzantine Chant

« on: April 11, 2007, 12:20:42 AM »

here is a link: http://www.antiochianladiocese.org/news/2007/canon_bish_gather.htm

April 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California

At the invitation of His Grace, Bishop JOSEPH (Antiochian), the canonical Orthodox Bishops in the West Coast held their historic first gathering on Bright Tuesday, April 10, 2007 in Los Angeles, California. In attendance were His Eminence, Metropolitan GERASIMOS (Greek), His Grace, Bishop MAXIM (Serbian) and His Grace, Bishop BENJAMIN (OCA), along with the Deans of the four Cathedrals in the Los Angeles area: V. Rev. Great Economos Michel Najim (St. Nicholas Antiochian Cathedral), V. Rev. John Bakkas (St. Sophia Greek Cathedral), V. Rev. Michael Senyo (Holy Virgin Mary OCA Cathedral), V. Rev. Nikola Ceko (St. Stephen Serbian Cathedral).

The gathering began with singing the Paschal Apolytikion and the blessing of the food. After lunch, His Grace, Bishop JOSEPH welcomed everyone and thanked them for making time to attend this gathering. He reviewed the items on the agenda and made an opening statement about the importance of expressing our Holy Orthodox Faith with one voice. His Eminence, Metropolitan GERASIMOS congratulated His Grace, Bishop BENJAMIN on his recent election to the vacant See of San Francisco and the West of the OCA. The hierarchs discussed a variety of matters including the need for Pan-Orthodox gatherings. They appointed the four deans present to meet and make recommendations about gatherings of the people from the different jurisdictions.

The hierarchs agreed to schedule the next gathering during the summer to be hosted by His Eminence at the Greek Metropolis of San Francisco. Please pray that the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit Himself, will guide the works of the hierarchs to do His will on earth as it is in Heaven.
Elisha
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 01:02:38 AM »

Awesome.  Thanks for posting.

Glory to God for all things.
kelfar

Byzantine Chant

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 01:23:02 AM »

Elisha,

You should say something regarding the Byzantine-Slavanic service which was chanted yesterday at St. Seraphim Orthodox Church in Santa Rosa, CA.  Grin Grin
Elisha
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 02:03:49 AM »

Elisha,

You should say something regarding the Byzantine-Slavanic service which was chanted yesterday at St. Seraphim Orthodox Church in Santa Rosa, CA.  Grin Grin

Maybe if I had better than my C- game yesterday, it could have been historic.

I'm sure something will happen eventually...maybe even this fall.
kelfar

Byzantine Chant

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 02:04:51 AM »

hahahahaha .....
you do not want to share it... Grin Grin
Elisha
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 02:11:31 AM »

hahahahaha .....
you do not want to share it... Grin Grin

OCA Diocese of the West Diocesan Assembly will partly take place in Santa Rosa (also in SF?) in the fall...multiple hierarchs might be invited.
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 12:15:42 AM »

Thanks for posting this Kelfar....this is exciting!! Finally, signs of Orthodox unity on the west coast! Glory be to God!
The smiles on their faces are even more in encouraging!

kelfar

Byzantine Chant

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 03:13:37 AM »

His Grace, Bishop JOSEPH, His Grace, Bishop MAXIM, and His Grace, Bishop BENJAMIN Concelebrate Bright Wednesday at St. Nicholas Cathedral
April 11, 2007
Los Angeles, California

Link: http://www.antiochianladiocese.org/news/2007/bright_wednesday.htm
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 05:29:04 AM »

Christ is Risen
Christos Voskrese
Christos Anesti
Al Maseeh Kam

Could you send some of that unifying wind eastward!  Smiley

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 10:27:27 AM »

Kelfar - I'm kinda clueless about the things going on in other jurisdictions, but what was the historic angle here?  The link didn't really explain much.  Nice photos anyway and very beautiful. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 03:19:48 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Hi Tina,

The meeting was historic because the west coast bishops have never all met together. The west coast used to be
the Orthodox unity dead zone....but with these four forward-thinking bishops we are moving into uncharted territory. Smiley
Elisha
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 04:29:28 PM »

The meeting was historic because the west coast bishops have never all met together.
...and they STILL haven't until Abp. Kirill is there too...but maybe this could happen soon as well.

The west coast used to be the Orthodox unity dead zone....
Really?  Compared to, say Alaska or the Southeast or Northeast or Midwest or....?  The West has been the worst?

but with these four forward-thinking bishops we are moving into uncharted territory. Smiley
And Glory to God!
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 06:37:17 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Hi Elisha,

Chicago seems to have a very active pan-Orthodox lay/clergy group called Synergy http://www.chicagosynergy.org/.

The mid-western bishops get along quite well (+Isaiah, +Basil and +Dmitri) and their relationship has fostered Orthodox Houston http://www.orthodoxhouston.org/

Detroit has St. Andrew's House http://www.orthodoxdetroit.com/  and the Council of Christian Orthodox Churches, a 40 year old Inter-Orthodox clergy and lay group, has been a source of constant support for pan-Orthodox ministries and activities.

That is why I say we were the dead zone. 
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »

You know...we have had a lot of recent threads concerning the West Coast Bishops recently. 

I think all of this is very exciting. 

I'm also personally glad to see Vladika Maxim is making new friends. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 08:19:29 PM »

Very nice! Hopefully all of Orthodox America and the World can be united in such love. We are all one religion, after all. There is no need for boundaries.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 10:09:28 PM »

Great news! Thank you so much for sharing.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 12:25:36 PM »

You know...we have had a lot of recent threads concerning the West Coast Bishops recently. 

I think all of this is very exciting. 

I'm also personally glad to see Vladika Maxim is making new friends. 

One of our Antiochian priests in southern California who attended the services wrote:

"They[the fours bishops] do genuinely respect and like each other. At least, that's what it seems from seeing them interact with each other first-hand.
The commonality they all share is a personal committment to The Most-Holy Trinity and the Holy Church. Each of them has a very different personality, but I think they see the deep Faith of the other, and this has drawn them to one another."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: