OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 04:27:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox rubrics for Paschal Season  (Read 1976 times) Average Rating: 0
Ung-Certez

Vind'ber Selo

« on: April 04, 2007, 01:01:18 PM »

As a "reluctant" member of the Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Metropolia, where revision is running rampant,
I would like to know how the different Orthodox jurisdictions celebrate Pascha.  Do most sing the Resurrention Tropar at the beginning of each Divine Liturgy?  Does this continue thorough the entire Paschal season?  Do you replace "May are lips be filled" with the singing of Christ is Risen?  Just would like to know the Orthodox consensus on this issue.

Ung-Certez Wink
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 11:10:34 PM »

As a "reluctant" member of the Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Metropolia, where revision is running rampant,
I would like to know how the different Orthodox jurisdictions celebrate Pascha.  Do most sing the Resurrention Tropar at the beginning of each Divine Liturgy?  Does this continue thorough the entire Paschal season?  Do you replace "May are lips be filled" with the singing of Christ is Risen?  Just would like to know the Orthodox consensus on this issue.

Ung-Certez Wink
I can't speak for all the regional/national Orthodox churches, but I can relate some of my experience as a (non-tonsured) reader and chorister in the Slavic tradition (OCA) and of what I've seen in some of my visits to Greek churches during Paschaltide.  At the beginnings of all of our services, the prayer "O Heavenly King" is suspended in favor of the threefold singing of the Paschal Troparion; the Greeks pick up "O Heavenly King" again after the Ascension, whereas the Slavic churches don't say this prayer again until Pentecost.  Toward the end of a service when the priest intones "Glory to You, O Christ our God and our hope, glory to You," the proper response is not "Glory... now and ever..."; rather, we will for the 40 days of Pascha sing the Paschal Troparion another three times.  We in the Slavic churches also sing the Paschal Troparion instead of "We have seen the true light..." after receiving Communion; only after Pentecost will we resume our normal hymn at this point in the service, which means that from Ascension to Pentecost we won't sing anything between Communion and the litany following.

I hope this helps answer your questions.
Ung-Certez

Vind'ber Selo

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 01:46:20 AM »

Yes, it seems that the Ruthenian Metropolia is apt to replace the "South-West Rus'" Slavic recension rubrics with "Greek" recension rubrics. Cheesy

Xpucmoc Bockpece!

Ungcsertezs
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 06:17:24 AM »

Ung-Certez Wink

Well.....

For Renewal Week, each service begins with the tenfold singing of the Paschal Troparion.  There is no reading of the psalms during the week, and the only Apolytikia that are chanted are for very big feastdays (specifically Life-Giving Spring and St. George if his feastday is during the week).  During the week all the hymns are sunday Resurrectional hymns or Paschal hymns.  At the end, before the dismissal there is the chanting of the Troparion again 3 times.  The Troparion is chanted as the Entrance hymn in Liturgy, and in place of "We have seen the light" and "Blessed be the name of the Lord."  The dismissal always includes "May Christ our God who rose from the dead..."  Instead of "Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers..." the priest exclaims the Troparion, to which the people respond "Truly the Lord is Risen."

For the rest of the 40 days, the Troparion is chanted 3x at the beginning of each service; "Heavenly King" isn't said until Pentecost (because we're anticipating His coming at this point); at the beginning of vespers "O come let us worship" is skipped, while at the beginning of matins the "Holy God (3x)" is skipped; the dismissal still includes "May Christ our God who rose from the dead..."  Instead of "Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers..." the priest exclaims the Troparion, to which the people respond "Truly the Lord is Risen."

I'm sure there is more that I'm forgetting!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 11:34:10 AM »

the Greeks pick up "O Heavenly King" again after the Ascension,
If this is what you observed then they did it wrong. Between Ascension and Pentacost "O Heavenly King.." is not said according to the Typikon of the Great Church.

Joseph
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 10:41:54 PM »

If this is what you observed then they did it wrong. Between Ascension and Pentacost "O Heavenly King.." is not said according to the Typikon of the Great Church.
I personally think what you present as correct is the more appropriate theological approach, anyway.  "O Heavenly King..." is specifically a hymn/prayer of Pentecost--this is made particularly clear by the many times the hymn is repeated in the services of Pentecost.  Between Ascension and Pentecost we are still, together with the Disciples in the upper room, awaiting the descent of the Holy Spirit 50 days after Christ's Resurrection.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 07:17:27 PM »

We in the Slavic churches also sing the Paschal Troparion instead of "We have seen the true light..." after receiving Communion; only after Pentecost will we resume our normal hymn at this point in the service, which means that from Ascension to Pentecost we won't sing anything between Communion and the litany following.
I have to correct this statement.  It appears as if there's more to the hymns between Communion and the post-Communion litany than I thought when I submitted the above.  "We have seen the true light..." is just the first of these post-Communion hymns, and it's only this hymn that gets skipped in favor of the Paschal Troparion.  After the hymn "We have seen the true light..." (or the Paschal Troparion) follows the hymn "Let our mouths be filled with Your praise, O Lord..."; so, during the ten days from Ascension to Pentecost we will start the post-Communion hymns with "Let our mouths...", singing neither the "We have seen the true light..." nor the Paschal Troparion beforehand.
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 07:53:40 PM »

so, during the ten days from Ascension to Pentecost we will start the post-Communion hymns with "Let our mouths...", singing neither the "We have seen the true light..." nor the Paschal Troparion beforehand.
According to the Typikon, in the Russian Tradition, from Ascension to its Otdanie (Leave-Taking), the Tropar of Ascension ("You have ascended in glory, O Christ our God...") is sung in place of "We have seen the true light..." at the Liturgy.

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: