OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 07:20:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The world is full of stupid people  (Read 1940 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: April 04, 2007, 12:01:02 PM »

Swedish Couple Fights for Right to Name Baby Girl 'Metallica'
Tuesday , April 03, 2007

STOCKHOLM, Sweden -

Metallica may work as a name for a heavy metal band, but a Swedish couple is struggling to convince authorities it's also suitable for a baby girl.

Sweden's tax agency rejected Michael and Karolina Tomaro's application to name their 6-month-old daughter after the legendary rock band.

"It suits her," Karolina Tomaro, 27, said Tuesday of the name. "She's decisive and she knows what she wants."

Although little Metallica has already been baptized, the Swedish National Tax Board refused to register the name, saying it was associated with both the rock group and the word "metal."

In Sweden, parents must get the names of their children approved by the tax authority, which is in charge of the population registry and issues personal identification numbers, similar to Social Security numbers in the United States.

Tomaro, who has appealed the decision, said the official handling the case also called the name "ugly."

The couple was backed by the County Administrative Court in Goteborg, which ruled on March 13 that there was no reason to block the name. It also noted that there already is a woman in Sweden with Metallica as a middle name.

The tax agency appealed to a higher court, frustrating the family's foreign travel plans.

"We've had to cancel trips and can't get anywhere because we can't get her a passport without an approved name," Tomaro said.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 12:40:44 PM »

Surely the results of too much fish oil and blonde hair...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 12:47:41 PM »

Surely the results of too much fish oil and blonde hair...

james

Well, maybe the fish oil, but there is never too much blonde hair!
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 01:03:03 PM »

Well, maybe the fish oil, but there is never too much blonde hair!

It is when it's bleach blonde.

You're from the area, Tom.  Think Dudalk/Essex in Baltimore, Glen Burine in AA County, and parts of PG Co.

*shudder*

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 01:11:42 PM »

It is when it's bleach blonde.

You're from the area, Tom.  Think Dudalk/Essex in Baltimore, Glen Burine in AA County, and parts of PG Co.

*shudder*

Well, yeah. But we are talking Swedish blondes! hubba hubbba  Cheesy
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 09:01:05 PM »

I'm not sure which is more silly, that someone would name their kid Metallica, or that you have to have a baby name approved by someone else. At least they didn't choose Manowar.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 12:23:06 AM »

Metallica's da bomb... there are a lot worse names out there.  Just hired a guy (I work for a huge comp. that provides labor) who just had twin girls; Hennessy & Felony

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 10:06:40 PM »

Parents Outraged After Elementary School Teachers Stage Fake Gunman Attack

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. —  Staff members of a Murfreesboro elementary school staged a fake gunman attack during a school trip, telling them it was not a drill as children cried and hid under tables.

Parents of the sixth-grade students at Scales Elementary were outraged after learning about the prank that occurred Thursday night during a weeklong trip to a state park.

Assistant Principal Don Bartch, who was present, said the scenario was intended as a learning experience and only lasted five minutes.

"We got together and discussed what we would have done in a real situation," he said.

During the last night of the school trip to Fall Creek Falls, a state park about 130 miles southeast of Nashville, staff members convinced the 69 students that there was a gunman on the loose.

The students were told to lie on the floor or hide underneath tables and stay quiet. After the lights went out, about 20 kids started to cry, said 11-year-old Shay Naylor.

"I was like, 'Oh My God,' " Shay said Saturday. "At first I thought I was going to die. We flipped out. (A teacher) told us, 'We just got a call that there's been a random shooting.' I was freaked out. I thought it was serious."

A teacher, disguised in a hooded sweat shirt, even pulled on locked door and pretended to be suspicious subject.

"This was not a good experience," said Alisha Graves, whose son went on the trip. "Those kids were crying and they were terrified."

Some parents said they were upset by the staff's poor judgment in light of the April 16 shootings at Virginia Tech that left 33 students and professors dead, including the gunman.

"The children were in that room in the dark, begging for their lives, because they thought there was someone with a gun after them," said Brandy Cole, whose son went on the trip.

Scales Elementary Principal Catherine Stephens held a meeting Saturday afternoon at the school after a handful of parents called to complain.

She said she was saddened by the situation and that the school was handling it. She declined to say whether the staff members involved would face disciplinary action.

"The circumstance that occurred involved poor judgment," Stephens said. "My hope is that we can learn from this, and in the end, it will have a positive result of growth for all of us."

Still Shay and her mother, Niki Morris, said they forgave the teachers for scaring the students.

"(It) went too far because it was too gruesome," Shay Naylor said. "You'd think a teacher wouldn't do it, but they did. But they're great teachers. If (the assistant principal) loses his job, I will break into tears. He's the best assistant principal I've ever had."

----

Note: Shay and her mother, Niki Morris are a stupider (even though that is not techically a word) than the assistant principal  Roll Eyes Wonder if Brittney is an alumni?

« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 10:11:35 PM by TomS » Logged
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 10:26:07 PM »

At least they didn't choose Manowar.
Or Megadeth!  (though I love Megadeth; it's just not a girl's name!)

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 07:05:32 PM »

Metallica?  Sorry, but that is far too ridiculous, and hardly proper!

Real Swedes name their little Gustavs after Gothenburg death metal bands and then dedicate them to eternal war with the crummy Norwegians who live only for insipid black-metal theatrics.

So you can stop saying 'awwww' now.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 07:17:10 PM by SamB » Logged
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 07:24:07 PM »

From the Homestar Runner site:

Strong Bad's take on death metal, along with the cartoon's wiki article.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 08:44:19 AM »

Pair told not to name son '4real'

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- New Zealand authorities have blocked a couple's bid to officially name their new son "4real," saying numerals are not allowed.

Pat and Sheena Wheaton said they decided to name their new baby "4real" shortly after having an ultrasound and being struck by the reality of his impending arrival.

"For most of us, when we try to figure out what our names mean, we have to look it up in a babies book and ... there's no direct link between the meaning and the name," Pat Wheaton told TV One on Wednesday. "With this name, everyone knows what it means."

But when the parents filed the name with New Zealand's Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, they were told names beginning with a number were against the rules.

The government office has opened negotiations with the parents about the name under a policy that says all unusual names must be given case-by-case consideration.

"The name has not at this stage been rejected," Registrar-General Brian Clarke said in a statement Thursday. "We are currently in discussions with the parents ... to clarify the situation."

Clarke said the rules are designed to prevent names that are "likely to cause offense to a reasonable person." Satan and Adolf Hitler were proposed names that have been declined, he said.

If no compromise has been reached by July 9, the baby will be registered as "real," officials say.

New Zealand law requires all children born in the South Pacific nation to be registered with the Births, Deaths and Marriages registry within two months of birth.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 08:56:59 AM »

How about "Parsley Sage" as the first and middle name of a 6 month old child?.....It gets worse.....the child is male.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 10:35:34 AM »

Oz George---I guess he could be nicknamed Lee.

TomS---my guess is the parents could use the name Forreal and meet the requirement.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 10:44:26 AM »

TomS---my guess is the parents could use the name Forreal and meet the requirement.

Could their neighbors name their kid something like "Lol@ur4real"?  Does this foray into alternative names open the door for mocking one's acquaintances with your children's names?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: