OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:17:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do if no priest is available.  (Read 1591 times) Average Rating: 0
Edmund

« on: April 04, 2007, 12:34:33 AM »

Hey there sorry its been so long since I posted but my computer has been down for about two months. Anyway here is my dilemma our Priest is retiring this may and since we are just a little Greek Orthodox mission in Montana it could be months till we get a new priest there is one other Greek mission in my state that hasnt had a priest for four years. I am just wondering what does one do when you dont have a Priest? I have heard that a long time ago Greek Orthodox would go to episcopal churches I am assumeing that was before they allowed women to pretend that they were priests and before they became way off base. So does anyone know what to do?

Thanks a lot.
Thanatos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 12:51:40 AM »

Get a blessing from your Bishop or whomever to do Reader Services. You can do these with your entire mission, as I would imagine. I know a good website that provides this stuff for those in your situation:

http://www.saintjonah.org/services/horologion.htm

Peace, and hope all works out!
Ioannis
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 12:52:18 AM by Thanatos » Logged
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Xeno

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 03:55:18 PM »

I am just wondering what does one do when you dont have a Priest?

Doing Reader's services is one way. If you aren't married to just being Greek, there is always the option of approaching the bishop of another jurisdiction (especially if there are other Orthodox locally with no place to go, together there might be enough folk for a mission.) It might not hurt to see if there are other Orthodox in the area who have not been attending just because they consider themselves Romanian or Russian rather than Greek. There is also the possibility of Evangelism - many Westerners (Christians and otherwise) are just waiting for someone to explain Orthodoxy to them, and show them exactly where to go. Another approach is to place oneself under a monastery - I know the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese's Old Calendar monastery has several metochion. http://www.goarch.org/en/otherpatriarchal/sta.asp See the links on this page: http://www.stirene.org/Resources/Resources_index.htm IIRC, their charter allows a group of 10 families to become a metochion, and then receive pastoral care from the monastery (including clergy visiting/moving there?) We have a similar arrangement here with another Orthodox monastery, though not the same terms as St. Irene's has. One can do services with one's family as well, but it takes at least being an Acolyte or Reader to publicly hold services. With blessing, one can also have an 'Orthodox Study Group' or 'Orthodox Study Society' which studies Orthodox writings and Scripture under direction. This can form the kernel for a mission later. The Antiochian Dept. of Missions and Evangelism had a pdf mission's manual online that had some ideas. Once there are enough families again, then a priest can be brought again. There are many churches today that have been deactivated and then reconstituted throughout their history.

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 04:01:59 PM »

St Irene's is no longer on the Old Calendar and if I were you I would stay very far away from Metropolitan Paisios, and I don't just say that because he is ex-GOC.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 04:17:45 PM »

Doing Reader's services is one way. If you aren't married to just being Greek, there is always the option of approaching the bishop of another jurisdiction (especially if there are other Orthodox locally with no place to go, together there might be enough folk for a mission.) It might not hurt to see if there are other Orthodox in the area who have not been attending just because they consider themselves Romanian or Russian rather than Greek. There is also the possibility of Evangelism - many Westerners (Christians and otherwise) are just waiting for someone to explain Orthodoxy to them, and show them exactly where to go. Another approach is to place oneself under a monastery - I know the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese's Old Calendar monastery has several metochion. http://www.goarch.org/en/otherpatriarchal/sta.asp See the links on this page: http://www.stirene.org/Resources/Resources_index.htm IIRC, their charter allows a group of 10 families to become a metochion, and then receive pastoral care from the monastery (including clergy visiting/moving there?) We have a similar arrangement here with another Orthodox monastery, though not the same terms as St. Irene's has. One can do services with one's family as well, but it takes at least being an Acolyte or Reader to publicly hold services. With blessing, one can also have an 'Orthodox Study Group' or 'Orthodox Study Society' which studies Orthodox writings and Scripture under direction. This can form the kernel for a mission later. The Antiochian Dept. of Missions and Evangelism had a pdf mission's manual online that had some ideas. Once there are enough families again, then a priest can be brought again. There are many churches today that have been deactivated and then reconstituted throughout their history.

What is a mentochion?

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Xeno

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 06:23:15 PM »

Metochia/Metochion being dependencies of a monastery (ie, other monasteries, hermitages, parishes, missions, etc.) The Slavic word is Podvorje - similar to how in the West (specifically Ireland and Britain) the word paruchia (paruchiae - ie, the Columban paruchia, the Patrician paruchia, the Culdee paruchia, etc.) developed from the original Latin term parochia (meaning parish) to a term describing a mother monastic institution and its daughter dependencies: monastic, clerical and lay. I think Brotherhoods are also similar.

(I don't really know about Met. Paisios - just noticed that they use that system of metochia as a stavrophegial monastery, and that they are Greek. Not sure some would appreciate it being spoken of in private, but private emails are welcome on sensitive matters.)

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 08:37:26 PM »

Or you could have a unofficial prayer service led by a deacon or reader. No communion or anything that requires a priest for blessing, but at least an hour or so long service with hymns and such.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 08:43:57 PM »

Or you could have a unofficial prayer service led by a deacon or reader. No communion or anything that requires a priest for blessing, but at least an hour or so long service with hymns and such.

That's what Ioannis pointed out Wink

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 10:47:09 AM »

I know there's a Serbian church in Bute, Montana.  I don't know how close or far that is from you, but the priest there is EXCELLENT! 

Just thought i'd let you know.   Wink

http://www.westsrbdio.org/info/showarticle.php?article=church_butte

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Edmund

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 12:54:52 AM »

Hey thanks for the advice folks it looks like we will be doing reader services in may for awhile when our Priest retires.
Serb1389 I am about a 2/12 hour drive from Butte I have seen that Serbian Church the Iconography inside is breathtaking Iv'e not met the Priest but that church is beautiful I think its called Holy Trinity.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: