OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 04:51:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many Lb. is your Easter lamb contest  (Read 2922 times) Average Rating: 0
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: April 03, 2007, 08:39:46 PM »

42 Lb. dressed. I have plenty of mouths to feed.

Kalli anastasi everyone.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 12:14:11 PM »

I would just be happy to finally taste one that wasn't dry and unseasoned.  several people prepare it at our small church, all is dry, and gamey tasting.  I could do better probably, but I had never tasted lamb until converting.  I have no idea where they even get it, it's not at my grocery stores!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 12:14:29 PM by calligraphqueen » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 12:49:47 PM »

No clue.  I just know that there will be 4 or 5 of them.  Grin

Some Greeks are inflitrating our parish and we're not complaining.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 08:49:26 AM »

We do it simply and get a leg of lamb 3-5 lbs, marinate it in olive Oil, Rosemary, and lemon juice and roast it in the oven---ours is never dry---otherwise it would be cabrito (goat) here in Texas, a whole lamb is difficult to get unless you are a rancher or farmer and raise your own.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »

Our parish will be having the usual picnic after the Agape Vespers. Instead of getting several lambs we have a cooler full of lamb roasts; my estimate is we have 300 pounds right now and once we find out the crowd (we're guesstimating a quarter or third of the parish will show up since the picnic site is kinda far out of town and Alabama is supposed to have a blackberry winter that day---this means we need to feed around 300 people or so) we can get any extra lamb we need.

Leftovers will go to the local food kitchen, since our parish staffs the local kitchen on Mondays, and so the leftovers will barely be chilled by the time we can serve others!

The problem with the lamb roast is that it's hard to get kokkoretsi, but they might have some on hand just for me and a few other diehards. I have been told though to make space for the margeritsa, since each priest here gets a gallon each donated to their home. My little girls will be thrilled, I'm sure  Roll Eyes

One good thing about the lamb roast---I'll be spared from having Presbytera or I needing to adjudicate which of my kids will get the matia from the arni. I was at seminary last Pascha, but my wife tells me that my oldest boy almost mixed it up with some other folks over the one good eyeball left from the lamb.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 09:23:06 AM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 11:03:11 AM »

I am never ever having margeritsa again.  Tongue I tried it, I'll stick to the lemon chicken rice soup.

I dont know-- we aren't doing a lamb anything, if we go to the inlaws for easter dinner they will probably have ham or goose or beef or pork.  That family doesnt do lamb. I like it, and a couple of the kids do, but nobody else does. 

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 11:14:53 AM »

Lamb?  Puh-leaze!  I have lamb all the time.  My wife loves it.  We even have spaghetti with a lamb meat sauce at least once a month.

She hates ham, though.  I never get to have ham except on Pascha.  I love a good baked ham.

Three more days and the festival of pork begins! Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 11:46:46 AM »

Can you get the fact that it is nearing Pascha  While the rest of the US dreams  of visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads at Christmas, Orthodox Christians have dreams of Lamb and Ham the closer they get to Pascha.  A true Orthodoxism. Grin

Thomas

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 02:17:53 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 11:49:46 AM »

K-O-B-A-S-I
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 08:57:33 AM »

we ended up at home with a ham.  It actually turned out ok.  Now begins Eggsalad Week.  Wink
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 10:47:56 AM »

lol! dh found a recipe on Paula Deen's website for using up boiled eggs.  Has a white cheese sauce with Gruyere cheese in it-totally feasting right?  going to try that this morning since I was sent home with all the eggs yesterday.
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 02:54:32 PM »

It ended up only 4 lbs - the roast end of a leg. I inserted slivers of garlic cloves every few inches, rubbed it with olive oil, roasted, and served with Roquefort butter (half cheese, half butter), Australian Shiraz, and Italian bread. Tiramisu was the dessert. Poverty doesn't mean one has to live without art. The priest blessed it, and I'm still eating it, to the Glory of God. Eggs, I don't like - unless skillfully hidden in a recipe - one red egg from the priest is all I needed.

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Zoe
Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 03:42:51 PM »

Well, I had to transport 14lbs of it over to my mother (which included the head...eww), and apparently that was only half of one!

NI!!!!!!
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 12:09:47 PM »

42 Lb. dressed. I have plenty of mouths to feed.

Kalli anastasi everyone.

Christos Aneste!

Dear Demetrios,

My brother-in-law ordered a 58 lb. lamb but he had many mouths to feed too! We also had dolmas made with lamb, Kibee made with lamb (an Lebanese/Syrian specialty), and Pasticho made with lamb!  Cheesy
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 12:12:43 PM »

Christ is Risen!Tamara,

You have these recipes with Lamb, I dont...  dolmas made with lamb, Kibee made with lamb (an Lebanese/Syrian specialty), and Pasticho made with lamb!

send  them to me or post them on the Recipe  in Family Forum.

thanks
Thomas
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 12:13:19 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 12:20:02 PM »

Christ is Risen!Tamara,

You have these recipes with Lamb, I dont...  dolmas made with lamb, Kibee made with lamb (an Lebanese/Syrian specialty), and Pasticho made with lamb!

send  them to me or post them on the Recipe  in Family Forum.

thanks
Thomas

I don't know how to make Pasticho. The Greek side of the family brings the Greek food and the Syrian side of the family makes the Syrian food. I will give you my recipes. But Uncle Nick's pasticho has no recipe...I will see what information I can get from him.  Wink
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 12:28:58 PM »

We only did a 35 or so lb. lamb at the house, but we also had two 8 lbs. leg/roasts as well.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 12:30:52 PM »

Now, for our various school roasts, we roast multiple animals; for Pascha just one 50 lbs-er, but also lots of burgers and 'dogs.  For our big events, 3 50-lbs lambs, and one time we added a 75-lbs pig (4 animals, and not a scrap of leftovers!).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 02:11:44 PM »

I'm just curious and ignorant - at what point or age does a lamb become a sheep?  I see people bragging about 50 and 60 pounders they grilled for Pascha.  Isn't that pert neer a half-growd' sheep?  As you can guess, we just don't know nothing much about sheep down here in the Lone Star state.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 02:30:31 PM »

Sounds like the base of Irish Stew to me! LOL.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 04:10:34 PM »

I'm just curious and ignorant - at what point or age does a lamb become a sheep?  I see people bragging about 50 and 60 pounders they grilled for Pascha.  Isn't that pert neer a half-growd' sheep?  As you can guess, we just don't know nothing much about sheep down here in the Lone Star state.

Usually we barbique spring lambs on a spit. Now the tricky answer to your question is what part of the world does the spring lamb come from. Here in NY it was 43 deg. Pasha day. I can't for the life of me believe that a 42 lb lamb was breed in NY. It had to have come from down south or a different country all together. Usually lambs over 60 lb aren't considered spring lambs any longer. Unless there 60 lbs alive. There almost fully grown. Only good for soup and stew where I come from. I think your right on about it being a sheep.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 04:13:26 PM by Demetrios G. » Logged

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 10:31:02 AM »

I was told it was somewhere in the 50's (of pounds) that they change the name...

---------------------
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: