OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 08:10:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confession  (Read 2524 times) Average Rating: 0
javamama

« on: May 08, 2003, 10:43:22 AM »

Please tell me about confession.  As a catechumen, this has been on my mind a lot lately.  What's the "procedure"?  Is there a set sort of way to confess, as in the confession of sins in the evening prayers?  When it comes to my first confession, how far back do I go in confessing "known" sins (big stuff I can remember)?

Thanks for your help...
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 11:12:53 AM »

Javamama,

Unlike in the Roman Catholic Church, there isn't a set procedure of what to say, usually the priest just asks for your sins and you say them. He may ask you some questions and have you talk about things as well.

To start the process, you just cross yourself and then bow, cross yourself and then bow again, kiss the cross and the Gospel book or icon. For your first confession you should confess every sin you can recall. The first one can last a while. After the confession you cross, bow & kiss the cross & Gopel book or icon again.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2003, 12:15:31 PM »

Javamama,

Christ is Risen!

This depends a lot on the jurisdiction/usage of the parish you are entering. It will also depend on the context of your first confession, meaning on how you are being received into Orthodoxy.  In which case there may or may not be an absolution immediately thereafter.

If you are making a confession before or at the time of being received the nature of that confession will likely be different from subsequent ones.  It may include some type of renunciation of heresy (very uncommon lately but it is possible).  The retrospection you will be asked to undertake is something that the priest who is receiving you alone can answer.  We cannot do that here.

If you are being received without confession and will confess only as the need presents itself in the future after your reception you would only confess sins as far back as your reception into Orthodoxy then from that time only as far back as the previous confession.  Of course, you can mention sins if they constitute a pattern but the sin previously confessed and absolved is just that, gone; don't dig it up again unless there is a need for informational purposes.  It was forgiven then it does not (cannot?) need to be forgiven again.  

I think the brief outline Nick gave is useful, especially in the Slav practices.  Confessions are not heard in a box but usually in the church at a stand with a Gospel book and a cross or icon and cross.  In some places the penitent kneels in others he/she stands.  I would add that there are somewhat standard ways of begining a confession in some jurisdctions and usually sorrow for the sin is expressed by something similar to an "act of contrition" or by a response to the priest's question.  Of course, the very act of confessing indicates contrition and the priests are usually sensitive and the "form" is not so important if they want you to do something they will tell you.    After the confession absolution is given by the priest placing his stole over the head of the penitent and pronouncing an absolution.  A blessing is then given by the priest and the penitent kisses the hand of the priest.  Once the end of the stole was given to me to kiss instead.  Also, in the Russian usage oftentimes the priest puts the stole over the shoulders of the penitent and both lean somewhat over the stand with the Gospel, etc. during the confession proper.   This seems to muffle any sound and is also a comforting comforting gesture.  

Tony

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
MartinIntlStud

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 08:35:20 PM »

In my experience, you read a prayer or two and then sit down(or stand up, my parish has pews) and you confess your sins and recieve spiritual counsel from your priest. After that you have prayers of absolution. It's really an amazing thing that kind scares people off, but it's really helped me in life.
MartinIntlStud

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2003, 08:35:37 PM »

And...Christ is Risen!
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2003, 08:38:12 PM »

Indeed He is risen!

I was really afraid of confession at first. But I love what it does for me, the feeling of being really clean that follows it.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2003, 12:15:42 PM »

I am being Chrismated this Sunday after the Liturgy and I talked to my Priest (GOA) about confession prior to being Chrismated.

He said that he can't really hear my confession until after I am Orthodox and that unless they are really, really, really bad sins that bother me and that I feel it would benefit me to discuss with him, then we could talk after I have been Chrismated.

But he did point out to me that all prior sins are forgiven during the the partaking of Communion during the Chrismation.

That's my undestanding.

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2003, 03:34:49 PM »

Congratulations and MANY YEARS! on your forthcoming Chrismation this Sunday, Tom.   Cheesy

Some things I'm curious about: Why are you being Chrismated AFTER the Liturgy rather than BEFORE it?  Will you be receiving Holy Communion from the Reserved Sacrament following your Chrismation then?

Hypo-Ortho
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2003, 04:16:21 PM »

Javamama, here are some articles on confession. They are very good.

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/penance.htm

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/guidance_repentant.htm

Life is just one disappointment after another.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2003, 09:40:54 PM »

Thank you Hypo-Ortho.

Why after the Liturgy? I don't really know. I had read that the tradition is that it is usually done before the Liturgy. Originally the priest set it up for me to be Chrismated on Saturday afternoon, but my wife had to extend a trip out of town until Saturday evening. So when I called the Priest to say that I would have to change it, he just set it up for the next day after the Liturgy.  Maybe since I am in the choir, he just figured that that would be easier.

I have noticed that this GOA church is not too hung up on tradition (I don't mean to generalize) if it gets in the way.

"receiving Holy Communion from the Reserved Sacrament " I don't know. I am trusting that it will be done correctly.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2003, 09:42:14 PM by TomS » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: