Author Topic: Does God speak to man with His Divine Voice nowadays?  (Read 1508 times)

Offline walter1234

• High Elder
Does God speak to man with His Divine Voice nowadays?
« on: October 20, 2012, 09:43:16 AM »
Nowadays, does God speak to  man with his Divine voice today, like to Abraham, Mose, Peter( Act 10:19),Paul(Act 9:4)?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:43:54 AM by walter1234 »

Offline walter1234

• High Elder
Re: Does God speak to man with His Divine Voice nowadays?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 01:51:16 PM »
Many fellower of God in Old testament and even Christian in New Testament, like Peter, Paul, Philip(e.g.5.Acts8:13)  can clearly hear the sound and see the vision from God. Is this still happening today?

Offline Cantor Krishnich

• High Elder
  • Mar Ahmed the Daftadar
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 02:06:15 PM »
Im not really in the position to answer this question, Im a little new to the faith. This does happen but its a very rare thing. I would say that usually the average layman wouldn't experience this but rather someone who has acquired much holiness (many times this could be a monk or nun).
Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!

Offline psalm110

• Elder
  • Orthodox Christian
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 10:05:57 PM »
--subscribed--

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
  • Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 01:46:23 AM »
Absolutely, this kind of thing does happen. When folks get to be prominent members of the Church (such as St. Paul, as an Apostle), these things may get discussed. For most of us layman who may have such experiences, we bring them to our priests and discuss them, and sometimes are told to keep them to yourself (even as Christ told his disciples to keep his identity a secret).

Sometimes these stories are told, but we don't make that big of a deal about it. We should not sensationalize miracles or visions, as some sects seem to do. In truth, the biggest revelation that can be had has already been: that of God becoming man, dying for our sins, and raising from the dead that we may have eternal life.
"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Offline walter1234

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 03:06:16 AM »
Absolutely, this kind of thing does happen. When folks get to be prominent members of the Church (such as St. Paul, as an Apostle), these things may get discussed. For most of us layman who may have such experiences, we bring them to our priests and discuss them, and sometimes are told to keep them to yourself (even as Christ told his disciples to keep his identity a secret).

Sometimes these stories are told, but we don't make that big of a deal about it. We should not sensationalize miracles or visions, as some sects seem to do. In truth, the biggest revelation that can be had has already been: that of God becoming man, dying for our sins, and raising from the dead that we may have eternal life.
How can we identify whether that Divine Voice is come from God?Or from our thinking / mind?Or even from Satan?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:06:31 AM by walter1234 »

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 07:27:05 AM »
Should be a very normal thing to have direct communion with God. What can be more natural than being together with God?
This is what The Church is -- communion with God and each other. After all what is the purpose of The Liturgy, of Prayer, of Holy Communion, and so on? In our fallen state, we ended up believing that knowing God is unusual, but it's the other way around -- our fallen state is unusual, not normal. And the examples of the many Saints who have been brought back to direct communion with God and Heaven from this earthly life should be very comforting and encouraging for us.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:28:30 AM by IoanC »

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 07:36:28 AM »
How can we identify whether that Divine Voice is come from God?Or from our thinking / mind?Or even from Satan?

Well, you have to remember that God is spirit so His voice is not human. God is known through the Uncreated Energies.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:36:42 AM by IoanC »

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
  • Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 07:19:35 PM »

Well, you have to remember that God is spirit so His voice is not human. God is known through the Uncreated Energies.

This is true. I would also add that this is why, in Orthodoxy, all are accountable to others who all hold the Faith. For a regular layman, this is your parish priest, who can stand outside of your situation and advise you by the grace of the Holy Spirit. I know times, also, that a parish priest may send their parishioner to another priest, perhaps a monastic [priest], if he feels the parishioner would gain from speaking with such a person about particular issues.
"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy