OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 02:39:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning vigil lamp glasses...  (Read 1377 times) Average Rating: 0
Justinian

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: April 01, 2007, 09:48:45 PM »

I was wondering if any of you have tips on cleaning a glass vigil lamp. I have tried washing them by hand with dish soap and a rag, but they just end up all gunky with oil residue. Would be okay if I ran them through a dishwasher?

Thanks,
Justinian

P.S
The oil I am using in my lamps is olive oil produced by the monks of Holy Cross Hermitage, if that has any importance.

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 09:51:01 PM »

If the glass is colored, then it may damage the coloring film (if it is film-colored).  I probably wouldn't soak them or dishwash them.  Depending on how the color was done to the glass, you may even have to be careful about scouring it.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 09:53:40 PM »

I have not tried this myself, but sometimes vinegar will cut grease or oil.  You may want to try it.  Or you may want to e-mail the monks you got it from.  They probably would have tips.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 10:12:22 PM »

Would be okay if I ran them through a dishwasher?

No! Take it from someone with experience! I tried to wash some vigil glasses in the dishwasher and they all cracked!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 09:38:19 PM »

Justinian,

I'm just curious whether you found out how to clean the lamp glasses, or if you have tried any technique which worked.

Justinian

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 12:35:13 PM »

Justinian,

I'm just curious whether you found out how to clean the lamp glasses, or if you have tried any technique which worked.

You were right, vinegar cleaned them right up! There was a nasty film in my sink afterwards, but I took care of it. Thank you for the advice. Also thank you to George who stopped me from making a disastrous mistake...

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 03:09:46 PM »

Isn't it nice to know we actually have people who know the day to day points of orthopraxis on down to cleaning votive  glass!

Thanks be to God in all things!

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 10:22:30 PM »

I'm glad the vinegar worked.    Smiley

Tags: icon corner votive lamp 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: