OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 11:47:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Do These Symbols Represent?  (Read 858 times) Average Rating: 0
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« on: April 01, 2007, 05:22:59 PM »

The first is a byzantine cross that has a swirling sun above the cross. What exactly does this represent? Also, what do the letters IC XC mean? Also, is there any general background information about the outer shape of the cross or anything significant about it?

The second byzantine cross also looks interesting. What do the swords represent here? Also, the shape is interesting, any significance to that? What do the letters mean on this cross? Also, what about the circle in the middle?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 05:24:11 PM by Nacho » Logged

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 05:26:50 PM »

Here's another interesting one. The double headed eagle that appears on many flags, especially some Eastern European countries. I have heard that it represents when the western & eastern byzantine empire were united along with the Church.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 05:59:41 PM »

The upper bar of the upper picture refers to the INRI (standing for "Jesus of Nazareth King of the Jews) sign that was placed above Christ's head, and the slanted lower bar was the foothold wrenched loose by pain, yet it also signifies how one of the thieves ascended and other descended to Hell.

I've heard the four equal bars signify the Divinity of God (The vertical line) meeting with Mankind (Horizontal line).

ICXC means Christ in Greek, while NIKA means victory. "Christ Victor", in essence.

The swords, I assume, refer to the strength of Christ and his victory over death, and the circle, referring to the Sun, alludes to Jesus as "The Sun of Righteousness." (Not Son, as I once thought it was a misprint in the Liturgical Book Cheesy).  However, neither of those things am I 100% sure of.

The double headed eagle was the symbol of the Empire, which was therefore the symbol of the Church. The two heads referred to looking on either side of the Golden Horn where Constantinople sat, that the Empire had dominance in Europe and Asia.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 06:07:09 PM by Simayan » Logged

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 06:25:24 PM »

IC XC and NIKA are Greek.

IC = the first and last letters of the Greek name IHCOYC = Iesύs = Jesus
XC = the first and last letters of the Greek name XPICTOC = ChristÏŒs = Christ
NIKA = "conquers" or "is victorious"

Put it all together:  IC XC NIKA = Jesus Christ conquers.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: