OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 09:24:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greek women use morning-after pill, abortion instead of contraception  (Read 4512 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: March 30, 2007, 10:43:11 AM »

One in 4 women rely on morning-after pill

An increasing number of Greek women are taking emergency contraceptives – known as the morning-after pill – to avoid unwanted pregnancies, while Greece has one of the lowest rates of women taking the regular contraceptive pill, scientists revealed yesterday.

The number of women taking the morning-after pill has increased to 27 percent from 20 percent, with 200,000 morning-after pills sold last year, experts said ahead of World Contraception Day today.

“Women are thoughtlessly using the morning-after pill, which is not a replacement for preventive contraception,” said Georgia Kovani of the Association of Midwives and Obstetricians. Gynecologists say 95 percent of woman who have graduated from secondary school have had at least one abortion. And just 3 percent of Greek women use the regular pill, compared to 45 percent in Northern Europe.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_politics_100016_30/03/2007_81800

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 10:48:40 AM by cleveland » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 11:10:35 AM »

Well, as the old homage goes, 'An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.' Sounds like Greece needs to improve their sex ed programmes.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 11:18:52 AM »

No one wants children there but then they wonder why so many immigrants are moving in. 2 = 2 = 5?  In 100 years Greece's population will have dropped dramatically while their Muslim neighhbors' populations will have doubled.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 12:40:08 PM »

Gynecologists say 95 percent of women who have graduated from secondary school have had at least one abortion.

What!?  Shocked
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 12:45:53 PM »

What!?  Shocked

It should be noted that newspaper seems to get things wrong a lot. however, the rates are certainly high (I doubt they are THAT high though).

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 12:50:48 PM »

Sounds like Greece needs to improve their sex ed programmes.
It seems to me that they know how to have sex- I don't think they need any more education in that regard. Wink

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 12:58:53 PM »

Well, as the old homage goes, 'An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.'
Actually, in this case, no.
Prolonged exposure to the hormones in the contraceptive pill is much more harmful than the acute exposure to the hormones in the post-coital pill.
Use of the contraceptive pill significantly increase the risk of breast cancer, cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, and thyroid cancer.   
What's required is a cultural change, with men taking more responsibility, and women not being seen as the sole gatekeepers of contraception.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 01:01:51 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 01:34:59 PM »

Actually, in this case, no.
Prolonged exposure to the hormones in the contraceptive pill is much more harmful than the acute exposure to the hormones in the post-coital pill.
Use of the contraceptive pill significantly increase the risk of breast cancer, cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, and thyroid cancer.   
What's required is a cultural change, with men taking more responsibility, and women not being seen as the sole gatekeepers of contraception.

I have always heard that the increases are nominal and mostly genetic. Though perhaps the research you cite is more recent...do you have a reference with statistics to fulfill my curiosity? Wink

Of course, there is another form of contraception that carries no increased risk of breast cancer, cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, or thyroid cancer...plus it helps protect against STD's...it's called the condom, and it's as much the responsiblity of the man as it is of the woman. Furthermore, modern child support laws make contraception the utmost concerns of males as well as females, since a child can ruin both their lives.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 01:44:27 PM »

Oh dear. I knew the abortion rates in countries like Russia and Romania were appalling, but I had no idea it was so common in Greece! Abortion is the preferred method of birth control for Greek couples, and the ratio of live births to abortions is 1:3.  No wonder Greece is dying a demographic death---hundreds of thousands of its children are snuffed out every year. Does not anyone listen to the Church in Greece? Embarrassed
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 01:48:57 PM »

"Greek women use morning-after pill, abortion instead of contraception "

Now, I ask you, just HOW is that subject title any fun?  Angry

You should have kept my original one!
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 01:49:50 PM »

The country's overpopulated as it is, the problem isn't the lack of births, the problem is the immigration rates...that the fact that the immigrants are in large part people who breed like rats: Mohammedans.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 01:51:28 PM »

"Greek women use morning-after pill, abortion instead of contraception "

Now, I ask you, just HOW is that subject title any fun?  Angry

You should have kept my original one!

Damn, I didn't even see your original one, though I'm sure it was wonderfully scandalous...I miss all the fun Wink

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 01:57:24 PM »

I have always heard that the increases are nominal and mostly genetic. Though perhaps the research you cite is more recent...do you have a reference with statistics to fulfill my curiosity? Wink
http://www.nbcc.org.au/resources/research/contraceptive_pill.html

Furthermore, modern child support laws make contraception the utmost concerns of males as well as females, since a child can ruin both their lives.
Great in theory- practice is another thing. I have three single mother friends, two of which have never seen a penny from the fathers of their children, and the third recieves $20 a month from her ex-partner who is on unemployment benefits.

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 02:05:45 PM »

I have three single mother friends, two of which have never seen a penny from the fathers of their children, and the third recieves $20 a month from her ex-partner who is on unemployment benefits.

Australian women are loose.  Cheesy

Bada-Boom!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 02:06:26 PM by TomS » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 02:24:13 PM »

Australian women are loose.  Cheesy

Bada-Boom!
Interesting comment from someone who doesn't think fornication to be morally wrong.

Bada-boom!

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 02:51:24 PM »

Interesting comment from someone who doesn't think fornication to be morally wrong.

Bada-boom!

That's not why I wrote that. Replace the nationality with "Greek" and THAT was the original title of this thread.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 03:37:58 PM »

That's not why I wrote that. Replace the nationality with "Greek" and THAT was the original title of this thread.

LMAO Cheesy

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 05:27:40 PM »

Hear that, GiC?  You need to change your name. Cheesy

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 09:04:17 PM »

Hear that, GiC?  You need to change your name. Cheesy
LOL Cheesy

TomS,
I still find it interesting that you don't consider fornication to be morally wrong, yet choose to use words which make value judgements like "loose" about promiscuous people. Remember when I said in the other thread:
So, Tom, it could also be that your denial of the sinful nature of fornication is simply because you as a man want women to be available for you to use for your pleasure at your whim and then discarded.
Calling women "loose" is one way of discarding them. Thanks for proving my point.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 09:12:41 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 09:33:19 PM »

TomS,
I still find it interesting that you don't consider fornication to be morally wrong, yet choose to use words which make value judgements like "loose" about promiscuous people. Remember when I said in the other thread:Calling women "loose" is one way of discarding them. Thanks for proving my point.

You're assuming that TomS is being insulting, perhaps he meant it as a complement if he regards 'looseness' as a virtue in women (and perhaps men as well). Wink

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 09:34:40 PM »

I still find it interesting that you don't consider fornication to be morally wrong, yet choose to use words which make value judgements like "loose" about promiscuous people.

ozGeorge,

I still find it interesting that you don't consider that I am using humor. Or has your religion killed that too?

I mean, Good Lord, man! Do you not know that I look for humor in everything?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 09:37:13 PM by TomS » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 09:37:53 PM »

ozGeorge,

I still find it interesting that you don't consider that I am using humor. Or has your religion killed that too?

I know that you're being humourous. All I'm saying is the same as the old proverb: "Many a truth told in jest."

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 09:57:47 PM »

*is waiting for GiC to change his name to GreekIsLoose*

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 10:14:32 PM »

So, Tom, it could also be that your denial of the sinful nature of fornication is simply because you as a man want women to be available for you to use for your pleasure at your whim and then discarded.

Why do you assume that only men can use the opposite sex at their whim and then discard them?
That is a very sexist statement.

Many women can, and do, the exact same if they are not looking for a serious relationship but just out to have a good time. You need to talk to more college kids, old man.  Cheesy

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 10:23:36 PM »

Why do you assume that only men can use the opposite sex at their whim and then discard them?
That is a very sexist statement.
And I suppose the statement "Greek / Australian women are loose" is a result of your second wave feminist notions....... Wink

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 10:28:55 PM »

*is waiting for GiC to change his name to GreekIsLoose*

I was thinking of 'LooseIsChristian' Wink

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 10:33:56 PM »

I was thinking of 'LooseIsChristian' Wink

Oh, I'd love to post a variation of that...but I'm not going to do that to Ebor and Keble. Wink

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 10:35:18 PM »

You need to talk to more college kids, old man.  Cheesy
I have studied at three Universities, and it's been my experience that the kind of guys who spout accusations that certain women are "loose" and talk about sex continually are usually the kind of guys who couldn't get laid in a Bangkok brothel with a fistful of hundred dollar bills.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 10:39:35 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

Thanatos

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 10:45:46 PM »

I have studied at three Universities, and it's been my experience that the kind of guys who spout accusations that certain women are "loose" and talk about sex continually are usually the kind of guys who couldn't get laid in a Bangkok brothel with a fistful of hundred dollar bills.

HAHA
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 11:19:47 PM »

Well, Bangkok, maybe not. But I have heard that In Australia they give it away for free. 'Course that's to be expected from the descendants of London street-walkers and pickpockets.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 11:33:21 PM »

But I have heard that In Australia they give it away for free.
We've gotta lotta of love to give. But surely that can't be a putdown from you. Fornication is not morally reprehensible according to you remember? Wink

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2007, 12:17:21 AM »

It is truly sad that many Orthodox countries who have the fullness of the faith have such a large population who act in such a way.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2007, 01:20:06 AM »

It is truly sad that many Orthodox countries who have the fullness of the faith have such a large population who act in such a way.

Yet observing multiple Orthodox societies, we find many of these variables to be constant across said societies...thus perhaps the most reasonable conclusion is that these behaviours are the natural evolution of the Orthodox faith. Now I will let you decide whether this is a justification of the aforementioned behaviours or a judgement of the Church.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2007, 02:13:12 AM »

Brian: Have I got a big nose, Mum?
    Mandy: Stop thinking about sex!
    Brian: I wasn't!
    Mandy: You're always on about it. Morning, noon, and night. "Will the girls like this? Will the girls like that? Is it too big? Is it too small?"

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2007, 09:58:12 AM »

We've gotta lotta of love to give. But surely that can't be a putdown from you. Fornication is not morally reprehensible according to you remember? Wink

You misunderstand, I wasn't putting down fornication at all. All I was saying was that "down under" you wouldn't need any money!  Cheesy

OK. I think we've had enough fun now.
We are about to enter Holy Week. Lets can the insults and gutter talk now.
I'm locking this thread.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 10:23:39 AM by ozgeorge » Logged
Tags: abortion 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: