OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 05:41:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Community Input: Web host Change  (Read 2753 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: March 30, 2007, 09:10:54 AM »

Dear OCnet Community,

We are growing weary of our current webhosting company which has once again given us trouble. At this stage OCnet has grown beyond a small, cheapo plan to needing something more serious and dedicated. We are thinking of getting some type of virtual private server with special configurations for high traffic periods, etc.  The first thing we need is suggestions for web hosting companies that offer business-grade hosting plans. If you have any experience with business class web hosting please let us know what host you use and how it rates in your mind.

We will probably need to create some kind of donor club with 6 people agreeing to 5 dollars a month or 10 people agreeing to 3 dollars a month, but let's hold off on that until we get an actual plan selected. We're just looking for feedback on web hosting plans at this point.

In Christ,

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 12:56:24 PM »

I have no idea for a company, though I am willing to be a monthly donator for the cost.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 03:11:39 PM »

We have purchased the new webhost. We will do the transfer God willing this weekend.  Pray nothing goes wrong Wink

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 03:28:47 PM »

Oh I know the feeling of having to transfer a website from server to server, not fun.   Tongue  God willing it will go flawlessly, unlike when I tried.   Cheesy

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 11:54:39 PM »

So no OC.net for the next month? Wink

Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 11:54:48 PM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 12:28:01 AM »

Ummm....I don't know anything about webhosts, but I can suggest you can talk to the coptichymns.net administrator, whose forums seem to have been stable, even after one crash.

I heard the secret was to use a Mac.  Wink

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 12:55:14 AM »

I heard the secret was to use a Mac.  Wink

Amazing...just amazing.   Wink Grin

I would be willing to help pay if that's what it comes down to! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 03:21:48 AM »

There are three threads in coptichymns.net spanning from 2004 to 2005 on the use of Macs, and why you should use them:

http://coptichymns.net/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-1492.html
http://coptichymns.net/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-5178.html
http://coptichymns.net/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-3445.html

Some of the posts are quite funny, especially those talking about "Mac converts"

Obviously, these are very old, but I believe there is a lot of truth that is still consistently evident in today's Macs.

I'm still a Mac catechumen due to be baptized this summer  Wink

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 08:28:27 AM »

I really dislike Macs and switched from MAC to PC lol.  You won't get far with me on that Wink

Now, as far as Operating System, I agree that Windows sucks. However, we have always hosted on Linux hosts or FreeBSD, which are the best for web hosting. The crashes we experienced were due to Database errors, not Mac vs. Windows vs Linux.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 12:33:58 PM »

Dear in Christ,

The site is going down Sat 11pm EST and will stay down as long as it takes DNS to repropogate, which is usually 24-48 hours.  When it comes back it will be on a new server.

Yours in Christ,

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 01:24:25 PM »

We have purchased the new webhost. We will do the transfer God willing this weekend.  Pray nothing goes wrong Wink
Lord have mercy.  Wink

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 04:43:52 PM »

Will we have to do anything new? 

Will we have to re-login?  all that stuff? 

thanks! 

p.s. will we lost our post-count?  Wink Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 05:00:50 PM »

Will we have to do anything new? 

Will we have to re-login?  all that stuff? 

thanks! 

p.s. will we lost our post-count?  Wink Grin

If things go right, nope.  If things go wrong... God help us all.   Tongue  *remembers trying (and failing) to rebuild databases entry by entry*

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: