OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 11:01:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the future of the OCA as a result of the scandal??
The Antiochians and the OCA will merge - 4 (6.7%)
It will continue on like nothing happened - 28 (46.7%)
The OCA will dissolve and go back to the mother church - 3 (5%)
The OCA will dissolve and go into various jurisdictions - 11 (18.3%)
Other (Post your opinion) - 14 (23.3%)
Total Voters: 60

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think will happen to the OCA??  (Read 7134 times) Average Rating: 0
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: March 26, 2007, 04:01:44 AM »

Here is an interesting poll in light of the OCA scandal. There has been much talk about the future of the OCA. I am interested what Y'all have to say.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 06:40:07 AM »

I chose "other" because I don't know what the future holds. But I do know that God holds the future, so I'm happy to leave it in His hands.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Innocent
No longer posting on this site
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 07:23:13 AM »

I chose "The OCA will dissolve and go into various jurisdictions". I believe there are a few factions within the OCA so getting all to go with one jurisdiction will not be possible. I know people who would never join certain jurisdictions so this leads me to believe that there will be people going in multiple directions.

I pray that the OCA cleans itself up and continues on!   
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 09:25:19 AM »

I took the pessimistic route and said that it will continue along as if nothing ever heappened. Some may leave for other jurisdictions and some may leave Orthodoxy altogether. But Orthodoxy will survive and the OCA will. I believe, clean up and move on.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
cholmes

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 10:40:48 AM »

It's still too early to say.  Based on his recent words, I think there's a strong possibility that Archbishop Job may take the drastic step of leaving the OCA and attempting to bring as much of his flock with him as possible.  If that happens, the OCA is done.  The symbolism of such an event would be too powerful to fathom.

Short of that happening, it really depends on how much of the laity is even aware of the extent of the scandal.  If enough people decide they've had enough and leave, it could have a ripple effect.  If it's just a few parishes, the OCA will be emboldened to continue as they always have.

Of course, the wild card in all this is the U.S. government - should the IRS or some other federal agency get involved, things could go downhill real fast.

Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 03:04:02 PM »

I'm doubtful the OCA will have a future. To the extent of the corruptness in the hierarchy, I'm very pessimistic about the current situation. Most of the OCA members probably feel the same. Things also seem to be getting worse as of late, which is obviously not the direction most of us hoped our Bishops would be heading. Archbishop Job & Seraphim of Canada apparently are a minority that have voiced their concerns many times over, the rest either don't want to hear the message or simply just don't care. I guess this is what happens when you have 'effeminate' men at the top running things. I would only hope for some men of God with some testicular fortitude and a calling to run the OCA in the future; that's if the current crop doesn't destroy it. If things do go sour, I hope that my Bishop would seek refuge in the Antiochian Archdiocese, which has a much healthier administration.   

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 03:35:19 PM »

Other. I don't see the whole OCA merging into the AOA, and there are plenty of folk in the latter that won't be interested in flinging the doors wide open - with or without scandal. Some might join the Antiochians, but I don't think it will be a 'merger' - they'd have to adapt to the Antiochian way of doing things (running the Church, liturgy, etc.) Things can't continue on like nothing happened, because something *did* happen. I don't think the OCA will 'dissolve' either. Some might leave for other jurisdictions, or return to the Russian Church. However, there is no telling what that will look like or the extent (it could be merely individuals and a few clergy, a few parishes, or at the most a diocese.) Odds are that some part of the OCA will continue as the OCA - particularly those who have a strong attachment to that identity, or see no wrong doing in the happenings. How such a body might relate to the rest of Orthodoxy, I can't predict. There will still in all likelihood be an OCA for quite a while though, even if it is smaller.

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 03:38:52 PM »

The bottom line is that the good old boys network has to go. The OCA administration is like a clique playing musical chairs. I say out with the old and in with the new. I think that the deeper the Metropolitian stonewalls, the greater his dimise shall be. This is an issue that affects us all in the OCA.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 04:13:50 PM »

It's still too early to say.  Based on his recent words, I think there's a strong possibility that Archbishop Job may take the drastic step of leaving the OCA and attempting to bring as much of his flock with him as possible.

That would certainly be messy.  I would think one of the main problems would be they wouldn't be able to take their physical plants with them.
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 04:27:25 PM »

You're right, welkodox - and I think none of us were thinking of that right off the bat. Where property is involved things can be pretty messy. Also, property can often guarantee that more folk will stay with whomever can establish legal claim to the property than will often leave. Getting folk to give up the place where they've poured their time, money, memories - where they have their family remembered? That is very, very hard.

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 07:35:42 PM »

I vote for other. I still believe that administration will be cleaned up and OCA will continue on healthier, bigger and stronger. It will be not easy it all, of course. Let us hope for the best. During the times of persecution, there were things much worse.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 11:32:08 PM »

It's too difficult to say I think what will happen.  It certainly seems providential that the Ecumenical Patriarchate never recognized the tomos though.

Even if the church carries on essentially unchanged, what does that really mean?  I read this letter by Fr. Thomas Hopko written about a year ago - http://www.ocanews.org/news/Hopkoletter319.html 

It seems amazing to think the situation now even seems a great deal more dire than when he wrote the letter.  One of the most striking things in the letter is this

the misrepresentation in and outside the church of its statistical figures (such as that our church has 400,00 members when less than 30,000 identify themselves as members)

30,000?  I had assumed it was around 60 to 75 thousand.  Either way, the fact may be that the church that is supposed to be the Orthodox Church in America might not even be the second largest jurisdiction here, and perhaps is shrinking.  It is certainly in no shape to serve as a unifying force in Orthodoxy, and their leadership I think it is safe to say is not one that people could rally around.

All of this is a far cry from what their leaders originally set out to do.  I think they not only need to think of what they can do that might allow the OCA to survive in some form, I think they need to consider what is right for Orthodoxy as a whole in this country.

You're right, welkodox - and I think none of us were thinking of that right off the bat.

Ari, the other issue is that from what I have seen there is a fair amount of mutual suspicion between the AOA and OCA and very different cultures inside both.  Another reason why I don't see a merger.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 11:42:18 PM by welkodox » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 12:39:34 AM »

No, the 60-75K is more accurate.  There are "members" and communicants/adherents.  For "members", only 18+, confess/commune >=1 per year and give to the parish are counted.  We count around 100 at my parish...even though >=150 show up and between 100 to 150 Commune.

Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 12:50:31 AM »

It's too difficult to say I think what will happen.  It certainly seems providential that the Ecumenical Patriarchate never recognized the tomos though.

I think recognizing the tomos has nothing do with this problem. The GOA is having similar moral problems at this very moment but they have more $$$ to hide the problems.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 08:25:53 AM »

The tomos is not directly related to the problem, I was merely saying it is fortunate it was not recognized.

Please post what you think is happening that is similar in the GOA.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 08:52:32 AM »

I think recognizing the tomos has nothing do with this problem. The GOA is having similar moral problems at this very moment but they have more $$$ to hide the problems.

No amount of money hides problems in the Churches.  We don't have a similar problem with regards to stealing from people's donations; the only thing that people are in an upheaval about is the severity of punishment and notification timing for our clergymen who have been involved in sexual misconduct (whether it be adultery, pedophilia, homosexuality, or whatever).  In the most recent case, a priest was suspended for alleged sexual misconduct-pedophilia, and (a) people thought suspension wasn't enough (even though it was probably only a preliminary step to get him out until they can finish the investigation), (b) while the local parish was informed immediately, the national church wasn't told until 6 months later.

The rest of our "problems" are relatively minor and have more to do with an administrative outlook and ecclesiology that differs from what many of our prominent laymen think...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 09:05:06 AM »

Thank you cleveland.

I think one of the worst possible scenarios for the OCA is for lack of action by the hierarchy to spawn Protestant like movements within that jurisdiction.  I have seen it pop up in various comments and opinions.  It at first surprised me to see the OCL getting their hooks in the OCA a little while back, but it no longer does.
Cowboy

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 09:30:10 AM »

The crisis in the OCA is NOT ONLY financial; it is a crisis of spiritualty. Our hierarchs, with the known exception of Archbishop Job, have become more concerned with earthly power, riches and prestige rather than being shepards and servants of their flocks. The stench of spiritual rot emanating from Syosset, NY (OCA headquarters) can be smelled in every OCA parish.

However, the good news is that the hierarchs and central administration of the church are but one tiny part of the Body of Christ. We, the faithful, and in many cases our Priests (but not all) , in hundreds of parishes throughout the US are the true Body of Christ. The OCA hierarchs by their very actions have shown that they have lost the ability to see Truth and Light. They prefer the darkness of the evil one. Otherwise what is there to fear from total transparency? (in EVERY jurisdiction-not just the OCA)

These evil men have made themselves irrelevant to the Body of Christ.

What will happen next is anyone's guess. But the life of the Church will go on in individual Parishes, irrespective of what our Hierarchs say or do. They cannot be trusted any longer and therefore will be increasingly ignored. Donations to the central church are drying up to the point that it's not even possible for them to construct a realistic budget. A movement has been started to choke the central church administration financially. I fully support this.

The OCA will survive this crisis because it is a crisis of leadership, not one of loss of Faith of the Gospels on the part of the faithful. We the faithful ARE the OCA, not the men who have chosen the world over the Kingdom of God. We pray for them, but can no longer follow them.

Cowboy
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 09:53:12 AM »

I think one of the worst possible scenarios for the OCA is for lack of action by the hierarchy to spawn Protestant like movements within that jurisdiction.  I have seen it pop up in various comments and opinions.  It at first surprised me to see the OCL getting their hooks in the OCA a little while back, but it no longer does.

Welkodox - I must be dense this morning, but can you explain this a little more.  I don't understand the connection.  

Whenever I read comments on the OCA scandal I'm always suprised at what's going on.  Down here in south Texas, we're so far removed from the central administration and it's problems that no one is taking this mess very seriously.  It just never comes up in conversation or has any impact on our day-to-day operations.  Maybe we've got a la-la-la, everything's gonna be fine attitude, but I think the OCA has overcome issues as big as this before and will survive.  Let's clean house, get new accountability and move on with the important stuff.  

If we don't, this will destroy all the groundwork that has been made towards Orthodox unity in this country.  If the OCA goes under (which I'm not inclined to believe), we certainly can't be crawling back to the old country like irresponsible teenagers who blew all their allowance on beer and parties.   Oops, sorry Dad, give me another chance will 'ya, and by the way, can I have a twenty for gas?

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 10:31:37 AM »

The crisis in the OCA is NOT ONLY financial; it is a crisis of spiritualty. Our hierarchs, with the known exception of Archbishop Job, have become more concerned with earthly power, riches and prestige rather than being shepards and servants of their flocks. The stench of spiritual rot emanating from Syosset, NY (OCA headquarters) can be smelled in every OCA parish.

However, the good news is that the hierarchs and central administration of the church are but one tiny part of the Body of Christ. We, the faithful, and in many cases our Priests (but not all) , in hundreds of parishes throughout the US are the true Body of Christ. The OCA hierarchs by their very actions have shown that they have lost the ability to see Truth and Light. They prefer the darkness of the evil one. Otherwise what is there to fear from total transparency? (in EVERY jurisdiction-not just the OCA)

These evil men have made themselves irrelevant to the Body of Christ.

What will happen next is anyone's guess. But the life of the Church will go on in individual Parishes, irrespective of what our Hierarchs say or do. They cannot be trusted any longer and therefore will be increasingly ignored. Donations to the central church are drying up to the point that it's not even possible for them to construct a realistic budget. A movement has been started to choke the central church administration financially. I fully support this.

The OCA will survive this crisis because it is a crisis of leadership, not one of loss of Faith of the Gospels on the part of the faithful. We the faithful ARE the OCA, not the men who have chosen the world over the Kingdom of God. We pray for them, but can no longer follow them.

Cowboy you make a good point. Should the OCA not survive this crisis, it is possible it might still bring about Orthodox unity in America. If the churces go back to the Mother churches in various jurisdicitions, the Ecumenical Patriarch will have to listen to the sister churches when their leaders call for America to be elevated from a daughter to a sister church. This could also solve the problem between ROCOR and the OCA, especially if ROCOR goes back in communion with Moscow.

Troparion - Tone 1:
cholmes

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 11:19:12 AM »

Well said Cowboy! 

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 11:30:29 AM »

Whenever I read comments on the OCA scandal I'm always suprised at what's going on.  Down here in south Texas, we're so far removed from the central administration and it's problems that no one is taking this mess very seriously.  It just never comes up in conversation or has any impact on our day-to-day operations.  Maybe we've got a la-la-la, everything's gonna be fine attitude, but I think the OCA has overcome issues as big as this before and will survive.  Let's clean house, get new accountability and move on with the important stuff. 

If we don't, this will destroy all the groundwork that has been made towards Orthodox unity in this country.  If the OCA goes under (which I'm not inclined to believe), we certainly can't be crawling back to the old country like irresponsible teenagers who blew all their allowance on beer and parties.   Oops, sorry Dad, give me another chance will 'ya, and by the way, can I have a twenty for gas?

Thank you, Tina.  Similar out here on the West Coast.  Many of us are aware of things, but it doesn't affect us.  No need to act like a bunch of Chicken Littles.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 11:40:41 AM »

No amount of money hides problems in the Churches.  We don't have a similar problem with regards to stealing from people's donations; the only thing that people are in an upheaval about is the severity of punishment and notification timing for our clergymen who have been involved in sexual misconduct (whether it be adultery, pedophilia, homosexuality, or whatever).  In the most recent case, a priest was suspended for alleged sexual misconduct-pedophilia, and (a) people thought suspension wasn't enough (even though it was probably only a preliminary step to get him out until they can finish the investigation), (b) while the local parish was informed immediately, the national church wasn't told until 6 months later.

The rest of our "problems" are relatively minor and have more to do with an administrative outlook and ecclesiology that differs from what many of our prominent laymen think...

Cleveland,

The Antiochians also have had and still have these problems too. Many pedophiles and practicing homosexuals have not been defrocked. Instead they are dumped by the Antiochians because we cannot afford the lawsuits associated with them. Dumping them so other jurisdictions will end up picking them up is wrong. The GOA has spent $10 million dollars to settle sexual abuse cases according  to Michael Jaharis, Vice-chair of the Metropolitan council. In the bay area we have one former GOA priest who is dying of AIDS. There are lawsuits pending against the GOA due to this former priest. The OCA's problems stem from immorality at a high level. In the OCA situation the leaders had to steal from the people in an effort to keep things hidden.

Andrew, The OCA does need the OCL. They have the OCA News. The OCL wants to focus on unity. Lay groups who see how accountablity is trampled upon will continue to pop-up until the leaders in all the jurisdictions start to deal with the problems according to our faith. Covering thing up and hiding immorality is always wrong.

ps. Lay groups have been started by lay members in all of the jurisdictions. The latest group to enter is called Orthodox Reform http://orthodoxreform.org/   I can't tell who started this group because they list problems in the GOA and the OCA. It is possible groups of laypeople in more than one jurisdiction have started this group. It is hard to say.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2007, 12:20:36 PM »

Tina

I must be dense this morning, but can you explain this a little more.  I don't understand the connection.

The situation could lead to a radical re-orienting of the church from a hierarchal institution to an organization with lay people at the helm and bishops and priests as puppets.  You can see it in various ways from groups like the OCL or the “Orthodoxreform” site (and reform is a good choice of words).  Look who the latter site links to – the Roman Catholic group Voice of the Faithful.  I would look in to them if you are unaware what they are about.

The other possibility (and it has happened with VOTF) is you will have people that will not only push for the Protestantizing of the church through lay control, but they may very well want to introduce other radical changes.  Don’t be surprised if you start to see things said like “maybe it’s time for married bishops” etc., etc.

If we don't, this will destroy all the groundwork that has been made towards Orthodox unity in this country.

The claim to autocephalous status by the OCA is one of the major impediments to Orthodox unity in this country.  To hobble along as they are and still claim this status will continue to set the prospect of unity back.  Something in this regard has to give.

Tamara, the OCA needs the OCL and their revisionist agenda like they need a hole in the head.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2007, 12:42:35 PM »

Tamara, the OCA needs the OCL and their revisionist agenda like they need a hole in the head.

My mistake...I meant to write the OCA doesn't need the OCL because they have the OCAnews.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2007, 12:49:31 PM »

My mistake...I meant to write the OCA doesn't need the OCL because they have the OCAnews.

This goes back to my original point about the OCL (I made in another thread): they've got so much on their platform that it's hard to take them seriously; OCAnews, on the other hand, has very few planks that are treated more seriously - and it allows them to be taken more seriously.  OCAN is focusing on the scandals and their resolution; OCL is working on scandals, the charter, women in priesthood, and a myriad of other things.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2007, 12:54:03 PM »

This goes back to my original point about the OCL (I made in another thread): they've got so much on their platform that it's hard to take them seriously; OCAnews, on the other hand, has very few planks that are treated more seriously - and it allows them to be taken more seriously.  OCAN is focusing on the scandals and their resolution; OCL is working on scandals, the charter, women in priesthood, and a myriad of other things.

Well, it looks like Orthodox Reform is another group all of the jurisdictions will have to deal with if our bishops hide immorality.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2007, 01:08:36 PM »

See, I'm wondering how much the intent is to cover-up and how much it is to be pastoral... For example, the Chancellor's office (Bishop SAVAS) did send the information about the Katinas suspension to the paper to be published, but the Archbishop's office called and stopped the publication, for reasons unknown. 

One of the things I found telling was that Bishop SAVAS told the Synod that he wouldn't disclose all the information about the suits to the Synod, because some of the members leak information to the press.  Considering that much of the information that his office deals with is considered private (for legal reasons), and that while he and his coworkers have signed non-disclosure agreements as part of their working in the Chancellor's office the synod has not signed such agreements, it makes sense that he wouldn't tell them the information, lest he break the law in doing so, and lest the synod members leak information to the press that is damaging to the people involved, be they perpetrators or victims.

What really drives me up a wall is how some members of the synod use the press to pit one against another; folks like the Archbishop, Bishop SAVAS, and Metropolitan ALEXIOS normally get caught in the crossfire for not playing that game.

---------------------
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2007, 02:15:09 PM »

the true Body of Christ.     

Maybe you were writing in the heat of the moment, but I am always leery of people or a group who think of themselves as the "true Body of Christ."

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2007, 03:10:24 PM »

Maybe you were writing in the heat of the moment, but I am always leery of people or a group who think of themselves as the "true Body of Christ."

So you're leery of the Orthodox Church?  The same Orthodox Church you're part of?

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2007, 03:17:23 PM »

Venaimin:

No - I was referring to Cowboy's post where he stated that he and a slect group of laity are the "true" body of Christ in contrast to the OCA bishop's. Furthermore, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, stating that he probably wrote it in the heat of the moment. Cowboy, as a cradle Orthodox, probably has strong ties to his parish and it is understandable if he is heated.

It was just a comment and it was more in reference to Christians of all stripes some of whom believe they alone hold the truth and are the true church - - to the extent of being elitist or exclusivist.

I was once told by a priest that the truth should humble you, not make you arrogant. I know that the Orthodox church is the true body of Christ, but I do not go around claiming it or putting it in other people's faces.

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2007, 03:50:16 PM »

Venaimin:

No - I was referring to Cowboy's post where he stated that he and a slect group of laity are the "true" body of Christ in contrast to the OCA bishop's. Furthermore, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, stating that he probably wrote it in the heat of the moment. Cowboy, as a cradle Orthodox, probably has strong ties to his parish and it is understandable if he is heated.

It was just a comment and it was more in reference to Christians of all stripes some of whom believe they alone hold the truth and are the true church - - to the extent of being elitist or exclusivist.

I was once told by a priest that the truth should humble you, not make you arrogant. I know that the Orthodox church is the true body of Christ, but I do not go around claiming it or putting it in other people's faces.

I know you were referring to Cowboy's post, but I think I read his differently than you did.  I thought the point he was making was that it's not the bishops who are the Body of Christ, but all of us, laity, priests, and bishops.  I read it as emphasizing that bishops are a portion of the body, not the sum total of it.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2007, 04:19:07 PM »

Venaimin:

I see you take on it. Maybe I misunderstood it or maybe I just pushed it through my own jaded understanding. I have been around too long and seen too much  Grin

Cowboy

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2007, 05:05:24 PM »

Aserb,

Veniamin captured my meaning EXACTLY. Sorry for the confusion.

Cowboy
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2007, 09:41:49 AM »

Since a few days' postings have been lost, I figured I'd get in my moderation message before these various OCA debates get too fired up again.

Some folks here on the site have been put off by the unsubstantiated allegations that a few have put out here, including some of the posts which were lost.  So for future sake, let's follow the dignified and Christian way (especially for lent!) and only discuss what we know and/or can prove here; let's avoid innuendo, rumor, and unsubstantiated allegations.

Thank you very much.  Let me emphasize - this is not to stifle discussion about the serious, legitimate, and pressing issues of our Church.

Cleveland - GM
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 09:42:10 AM by cleveland » Logged

---------------------
Cowboy

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2007, 10:29:02 AM »

Good Morning Cleveland,

Has the ENTIRE thread--"What Should the OCA Do Now?"  been lost? That was the thread that everyone was posting to most recently.

Cowboy
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2007, 10:43:10 AM »

It appears that it was lost as, iirc, it began during the period that has now been wiped out.

---------------------
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2007, 11:08:06 AM »

Maybe it was providnetial that some of the posts were lost as the allegations were getting pretty seemy.  Shocked

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2007, 12:03:19 PM »

All things are blessings from the Lord: na 'nai eulogemeno.

As Cleveland has reminded us, let's continue the banter but avoid insinuation or gossip.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Cowboy

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2007, 01:30:55 PM »

For those of you who remember yesterday's exchanges regarding the recent actions of the OCA's +Dmitri, Metropolitan Herman just officially responed to him on the official OCA website. The letter is copied below:

SYOSSET, NY [OCA Communications] — In a letter dated March 30, 2007, His Beatitude, Metropolitan Herman, responded to a recent letter and posting by His Eminence, Archbishop Dmitri of Dallas and the South.

The text of Metropolitan Herman's letter reads as follows.

"Your Eminence and Concelebrant in the Lord:

"I received your letter dated March 22 and reviewed your posting on the Diocese of the South website dated March 28 and I must confess that I am confused by your mischaracterization of the events that took place at our most recent Holy Synod meeting and disappointed that you chose to permit the March 28 correspondence to be posted before you consulted with your brother Bishops. However, when I read the thinly veiled threats to sue the Church, the members of the Holy Synod and/or myself, it became clear to me that persons close to you must have 'assisted' you in preparing the letter since I am confident that you, who have given your life in service to Christ’s Church, would never consider such an option. Nevertheless, I must still clarify the confusion that has been caused, perhaps inadvertently, by the letter and the posting. While it is not my practice to put personal correspondence on our website, I am compelled in this instance to do so since your posting of March 28 has caused considerable turmoil throughout the Church.

"On March 20, the Holy Synod heard a presentation by Archbishop Job and Bishop Benjamin of the work of the Special Investigative Committee regarding allegations of financial improprieties committed by Fr. Robert S. Kondratick while he was Chancellor of the OCA. This presentation was accompanied by a written report which consisted of a detailed summary of the evidence to support the allegations that was uncovered by our law firm and accounting firm. The investigation was not 'fueled by fear and intimidation' as you allege, but was rather the result of nearly one year of deliberative investigative work. As you pointed out, the evidence presented was 'overwhelming.'

"Fr. Kondratick then presented himself to the Synod, allegedly to answer questions about the allegations concerning his misconduct. Contrary to the implication in your letter, neither I nor the Holy Synod requested his attendance at the meeting. Rather, as is clearly documented, it was Fr. Kondratick who asked to be permitted to address the Holy Synod to answer questions about the allegations against him. We consented only in deference to your request to permit him to do so even though he had ample opportunity to cooperate with the investigators yet either refused or failed to provide any credible evidence to explain his actions. After hearing his presentation, his answers to specific questions presented by members of the Synod, and after significant deliberation in executive session, it was concluded that his limited responses were neither credible nor adequate to explain his actions. The Holy Synod unanimously supported the immediate suspension of Fr. Kondratick. This action was not a 'synodal suspension' as you state, it was a recommendation for his Bishop to take corrective action.

"Our final session was held on March 22. At that time, you persuasively requested that I rescind Fr. Kondratick’s letter of transfer to the Diocese of the South. This request was based on your assertion that the actions complained of did not take place during the time that he was a priest in your diocese. Therefore, I agreed to your request and rescinded his transfer. Fr. Kondratick was notified in writing of his change in status.

These actions were taken at your request and with my approval and were witnessed by the Holy Synod. Thus, they are appropriate, legitimate and valid. Let me be clear on this point Your Eminence, Fr. Robert S. Kondratick is no longer under your omophorion; he was reassigned to Stavropeghial Status and he shall be permitted to serve in Venice until I send him further instructions.

"Your Eminence, let me respectfully suggest that that with Holy Week upon us that we focus our attention on Christ, the author and finisher of our faith, and speak no more of this matter until after the feast of Pascha.

"With brotherly love in Christ,

"+ HERMAN
Archbishop of Washington and New York
Metropolitan of All America and Canada"

Copies of Metropolitan Herman's letter were sent to all of the members of the Holy Synod of Bishops.

cholmes

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2007, 01:46:03 PM »

Well that certainly was unexpected.   Shocked

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2010, 10:37:31 AM »

I vote for other. I still believe that administration will be cleaned up and OCA will continue on healthier, bigger and stronger. It will be not easy it all, of course. Let us hope for the best. During the times of persecution, there were things much worse.

I just found this post very interesting in hindsight for its foresight. It may be even more interesting, depending on how this week turns out.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2010, 12:27:23 PM »

I just found this post very interesting in hindsight for its foresight. It may be even more interesting, depending on how this week turns out.

Totally unrelated to the larger topic, but I couldn't help but smile at the irony of you highlighting a poster's ability to make prognostications/intimations about ecclesiastical goings-on. At this point, it's getting hard to remember how many melodramatic ones you've made before Chambesy, and, now, in the process leading up to the EA. As ozgeorge might say: good on ya for not losing your spunk (if that's the right word for continually touching a hot stove).  It does keep things interesting, though! Wink

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2010, 01:02:54 PM »

Totally unrelated to the larger topic, but I couldn't help but smile at the irony of you highlighting a poster's ability to make prognostications/intimations about ecclesiastical goings-on. At this point, it's getting hard to remember how many melodramatic ones you've made before Chambesy, and, now, in the process leading up to the EA. As ozgeorge might say: good on ya for not losing your spunk (if that's the right word for continually touching a hot stove).  It does keep things interesting, though! Wink

How much "melodrama" is involved depends entirely on what happens next week.  I'm sitting on some speculations based on hearsay right now, waiting to see if it is information.  If so, things will be interesting.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2010, 06:11:14 PM »

What was this whole scandal about?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: