OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 04:13:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OC.net Northwest retreat  (Read 2682 times) Average Rating: 0
authio
Elder

« on: March 19, 2007, 06:05:22 PM »

Recently, Matthew777, Zebu, and I went on a journey to the All-Merciful Savior Monastery on Vashon Island, Washington.  By the good fortune of encountering each other in OC.net, we had an opportunity to extend the love, hard work, and endless discussions that characterize the people of God in this forum.  Zebu and I met last summer through OC.net, and meeting Matthew777 to journey with him and Zebu gives me great confidence in the friendships and abillities of this group.  This is a story of our brief trip to Vashon.

Matthew777 came up late Friday night to join me at a stay at my apartment.  When he arrived, fortune carried us to my friend's apartment, where we began to spend several hours with my friends.  Sometime during the night, Zebu came and went, and by the time we decided to head back to my apartment and sleep, it was already deep into the night.  By the time we slept, some people were waking up to do their early Saturday morning work.  We woke a few hours later, called Zebu to wake him, and began to pack our things to begin our trip.

None of us have a car so we had to take the bus.  To get to Vashon Island, we needed to take a bus to the ferry, and timing those buses in Seattle can be very trying.  No matter what trouble we had, we eventually arrived at the ferry early that morning, feeling the strain of exhaustion from lack of sleep while at the same time the excitement of our trip.

The ferry ride was gorgeous.  The Puget Sound provided a great sense of peace from the fast pace of city life.  We took breakfast together, and prepared for the travels that lay ahead of us.

When we disembarked from the ferry, we waited for a bus.  At this point, sleepiness began to set in, and we persevered through it.  We took the bus towards the monastery, only to find ourselves several miles and a bay between ourselves and the monastery.  At this point we found some wonderful coffee and contemplated our next move.  Then we began the slow walk that would try us for the next few hours.

We never asked for anyone to pick us up, and so a brisk walk turned into a prolonged hike through the hills and valleys of beautiful Vashon Island.   After a few hours, we made it.

The brotherhood of the monastery gave us lunch and a fine cabin to stay in.  After we settled our things and our stomachs, we set out on clearing the remnants of December storm damage on their trails.  After a few hours of clearing, it was time for Vespers.

This Church is beautiful.  Most of it is donated from the Vashon community, and has the finest wood, paint, finishes, lamps, icon collections, and feel for such a small house of the Lord.  Vespers really set a rhythm to our memory of the day, inserting "again and again in peace let us pray to the Lord" throughout our recollection of the experience of the day.

The families that came were so friendly, and committed, to the parish community attached to the monastery.  We took a light supper together with them, and then finally retreated to sleeeeep.

We woke late the next day and had a short walk to the Church from our cabin.  After the Liturgy, we exchanged forgiveness, which was a first for several present.  One could tell that it was a learning process  for the whole congregation on how to truly exchange a holy kiss, as the Apostle exhorts.  The parishioners afterward joined together for a fine lunch, the last one as a parish community before Lent.  We were definitely welcomed, and caught a ride back to Seattle.

After we crossed the ferry, Matthew777's family picked him up from the dock.  His father and brother greeted us with great respect, and there was a subtle joy in Matthew's countenance when he finally saw them.  Zebu and I returned to our Seattle homes, and felt the weariness of our travels.

It was well worth the trouble, and I hope that OC.net Northwest will be able to again go on a retreat.  I hope, too, that the rest of you on OC.net who live around here would send a message to us saying hello!

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Justinian

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 06:38:18 PM »

Recently, Matthew777, Zebu, and I went on a journey to the All-Merciful Savior Monastery on Vashon Island, Washington.  By the good fortune of encountering each other in OC.net, we had an opportunity to extend the love, hard work, and endless discussions that characterize the people of God in this forum.  Zebu and I met last summer through OC.net, and meeting Matthew777 to journey with him and Zebu gives me great confidence in the friendships and abillities of this group.  This is a story of our brief trip to Vashon.

Matthew777 came up late Friday night to join me at a stay at my apartment.  When he arrived, fortune carried us to my friend's apartment, where we began to spend several hours with my friends.  Sometime during the night, Zebu came and went, and by the time we decided to head back to my apartment and sleep, it was already deep into the night.  By the time we slept, some people were waking up to do their early Saturday morning work.  We woke a few hours later, called Zebu to wake him, and began to pack our things to begin our trip.

None of us have a car so we had to take the bus.  To get to Vashon Island, we needed to take a bus to the ferry, and timing those buses in Seattle can be very trying.  No matter what trouble we had, we eventually arrived at the ferry early that morning, feeling the strain of exhaustion from lack of sleep while at the same time the excitement of our trip.

The ferry ride was gorgeous.  The Puget Sound provided a great sense of peace from the fast pace of city life.  We took breakfast together, and prepared for the travels that lay ahead of us.

When we disembarked from the ferry, we waited for a bus.  At this point, sleepiness began to set in, and we persevered through it.  We took the bus towards the monastery, only to find ourselves several miles and a bay between ourselves and the monastery.  At this point we found some wonderful coffee and contemplated our next move.  Then we began the slow walk that would try us for the next few hours.

We never asked for anyone to pick us up, and so a brisk walk turned into a prolonged hike through the hills and valleys of beautiful Vashon Island.   After a few hours, we made it.

The brotherhood of the monastery gave us lunch and a fine cabin to stay in.  After we settled our things and our stomachs, we set out on clearing the remnants of December storm damage on their trails.  After a few hours of clearing, it was time for Vespers.

This Church is beautiful.  Most of it is donated from the Vashon community, and has the finest wood, paint, finishes, lamps, icon collections, and feel for such a small house of the Lord.  Vespers really set a rhythm to our memory of the day, inserting "again and again in peace let us pray to the Lord" throughout our recollection of the experience of the day.

The families that came were so friendly, and committed, to the parish community attached to the monastery.  We took a light supper together with them, and then finally retreated to sleeeeep.

We woke late the next day and had a short walk to the Church from our cabin.  After the Liturgy, we exchanged forgiveness, which was a first for several present.  One could tell that it was a learning process  for the whole congregation on how to truly exchange a holy kiss, as the Apostle exhorts.  The parishioners afterward joined together for a fine lunch, the last one as a parish community before Lent.  We were definitely welcomed, and caught a ride back to Seattle.

After we crossed the ferry, Matthew777's family picked him up from the dock.  His father and brother greeted us with great respect, and there was a subtle joy in Matthew's countenance when he finally saw them.  Zebu and I returned to our Seattle homes, and felt the weariness of our travels.

It was well worth the trouble, and I hope that OC.net Northwest will be able to again go on a retreat.  I hope, too, that the rest of you on OC.net who live around here would send a message to us saying hello!

You know......I never have met any of you yet, and have never seen a picture, but I can tell who is who on that photograph. From left to right: Matthew, You, Zebu. Am I right?

How is the contruction coming along on Vashon? Are the monks living on the actual monastery grounds or are they still living inside a farm house?

I would love to attend you guy's next little shin dig, but how about this time, you guys don't show up 15 minutes late. Wink jk jk

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 06:57:08 PM »

Great!

Btw, can you certify that M777 is not insane?   Wink
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 08:10:44 PM »

Btw, can you certify that M777 is not insane?   Wink

How do you prove a negative condition?  Wink

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 07:29:41 AM »

I would have liked to go too. Thanks for not inviting me Sad

OK, so I live in TX, but still sounds like a wonderful trip and experience you three had. I'm a little bit jealous. We have a couple members here in the central Texas area (Austin/San Antonio). Maybe we should try this. Well, not to Vashon Island, but out to the monastery here.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 12:32:36 AM »

I'm waiting for some of the Texans on this board to visit this monastery and post pictures:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,6974.0.html

I know little about Texas.  Is this near where you are?

Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 11:45:08 PM »

I don't check in all the time so I miss a lot of threads, including that one. It is good to know of another monastery in Texas. This one is three and a half hours from where I live in Austin. I still have yet to make it to the one an hour from here. Sad
authio
Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 03:38:12 PM »

How do you prove a negative condition?  Wink

There's an OCA priest out here that always preaches against the insanity of this world, and I think Matthew, Zebu, and I are all working to move away from that.   Tongue

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
authio
Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 03:40:24 PM »

You know......I never have met any of you yet, and have never seen a picture, but I can tell who is who on that photograph. From left to right: Matthew, You, Zebu. Am I right?

How is the contruction coming along on Vashon? Are the monks living on the actual monastery grounds or are they still living inside a farm house?

I would love to attend you guy's next little shin dig, but how about this time, you guys don't show up 15 minutes late. Wink jk jk

Well, you're right about who is who.

The monks live on the monastery grounds in the few completed buildings that are there.  I'm not sure how long they've been doing that, but that's how it presently is.

And perhaps next time the two organizers of an encounter could exchange phone numbers?  hmm?

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 06:27:37 PM »

I don't check in all the time so I miss a lot of threads, including that one. It is good to know of another monastery in Texas. This one is three and a half hours from where I live in Austin. I still have yet to make it to the one an hour from here. Sad

Oh, you have to make time for Holy Archangels!  I've managed to make it up there two or three times and it's been wonderful every time.  You have no idea what you're missing out on!

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 12:03:46 AM »

Just a quick question.

Do we have a member here who attends St. Spiridon's Cathedral in Seattle??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
authio
Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 12:19:05 AM »

I attend St Spiridon Cathedral.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 12:46:38 AM »

For you Seattle-ites,
There will be a concert of Orthodox (Church Slavonic) Sacred music at Seattle Town Hall on April 29 @ 7:30 PM.  It will be performed by the St. John (of SF & Shanghai) Men's Chorale (most of us) sponsored by the Russian Church Abroad.
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 01:18:11 AM »

For you Seattle-ites,
There will be a concert of Orthodox (Church Slavonic) Sacred music at Seattle Town Hall on April 29 @ 7:30 PM.  It will be performed by the St. John (of SF & Shanghai) Men's Chorale (most of us) sponsored by the Russian Church Abroad.
SWEET! I'll be there!

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 04:38:11 PM »

Did Zebu or anyone else here end up coming?  If so, no one told me they were on OC.Net (since I was one of the singers).
authio
Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 12:34:37 AM »

I did not, but at least three parishoners from St Spiridon were there.

Entirely different question: will St Nicholas drop the "cathedral" title at the end of the month when the reunification service happens in Moscow?

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Justinian

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 01:43:36 AM »

Entirely different question: will St Nicholas drop the "cathedral" title at the end of the month when the reunification service happens in Moscow?

Noooooo!
Why would we do that? We are still a Cathedral.

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 12:18:34 PM »

Well, we were really NOT sucking.  So you guys so missed out.  If someone posts a pic, I'll people guess who I am.
authio
Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 01:15:59 PM »

Noooooo!
Why would we do that? We are still a Cathedral.

*Ahem*
Cathedral means "first church" or has the bishop's seat and I do believe 1895 came before Communism and 1936.
So I do believe that makes St Spiridon the Cathedral of Seattle since St Nicholas (nor any other Seattle parish) holds a bishop.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Tags: Monastery 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: