Author Topic: Why I am an Episcopalian  (Read 11383 times)

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
Re:Why I am an Episcopalian
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2003, 07:43:49 PM »
My apologies.

I had intended to write more this weekend, but I have acquired a "Corneal Abrasion" on my right eyeball.  I.e. somehow I scratched it.  Do no do this if you can help it.  It hurts like billy-o and with the eye covered with a patch I can barely focus on the screen to type this.  

I hope that it will heal quickly.  It could be anywhere from a couple of days to 2 weeks, from info I've gotten.

Yours

Ebor
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline David

• OC.net guru
  • Retired GM
    • Homepage
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2003, 10:32:37 PM »
Ebor (M),

Take time to heal.  We will all keep you in our prayers and wait patiently until you can devote your attention to the telling of your story.  I hope all is well with you.  

David
"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2003, 10:17:23 AM »
Thank you, David.

I've been to the family doctor and the eye doctor since I wrote last.  The scrape is righi over the pupil so, along with hurting, it's where one looks out.  It's like looking through a slightly frosted window or one that has some grease on it.   It's pretty distracting to try and use both eyes.  

The prognosis is good. I'm using the eye drops 'religiously'.  With care corneas heal in a few days.  I just am impatient, I guess.  I can't read much or use the computer or drive...etc.  Just finding a moving cursor with one eye is hard.

Ebor
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Offline the slave

• intolerant of intolerance
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2003, 10:21:50 AM »
Prayers for your recovery Ebor.

These things are not nice and cannot be hurried. Just try and relax and obey orders :D
"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2003, 10:31:40 AM »
Thank you. :)  I don't think my laughter was totally hollow.  Your good humour and your prayers are a great help.

Ebor

time to stop looking at the computer now, once I find the cursor again.

Hypo-Ortho

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2003, 12:30:53 PM »
Thank you. :)  I don't think my laughter was totally hollow.  Your good humour and your prayers are a great help.

Ebor

time to stop looking at the computer now, once I find the cursor again.

You're in my prayers and thoughts for a quick recovery, Ebor.  As someone famous once said, "I can feel your pain."   :P  But in all sincerity, I went through the same thing once, so I can *REALLY* relate.  You'll get through this okay, I know!

Hypo-Ortho

Offline Brigid of Kildare

• Elder
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2003, 04:17:01 PM »
I want to add my good wishes too Ebor. I scratched the cornea of my left eye some years ago when a piece of the hedge I was cutting fought back and it's not an experience to be recommended. Please get well soon and continue your story,

Brigid

Bríd Naomhtha, Mhuire na nGaeil, Guí Orainn

Offline Fotina02

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2003, 03:12:55 AM »
Are you asking the right questions in seeking for the Church?  Or maybe asking and not listening?

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2003, 04:41:02 PM »
Ebor -

Yes, I saw those links and found them interesting and surprising. I know I am hardheaded, but I tend to think that if there was viniculture in early medieval England it was probably pretty anemic - a little like trying to grow Southern Magnolias in Pennsylvania: it can be done, but the results are disappointing.

*shrug* Believe what you like. You asked for some documentation.  This is a theory that I'm working on in spare time and at intervals.  It occurred to me sometime ago and I am looking for primary sources to test my hypothesis. I do not say that it *is* why, only theorizing that it *might* be.  

And why would the conservation of wine be applied only to lay people, if wine was in such short supply? Shouldn't clerics have participated in the conservation effort, too?

Hypothesizing:  To have Eucharist one needs bread and wine.  Wine is in short supply. Only use a small amount.  If there is a small amount then not many people can partake.  Who then?

Conjecture:  If the priest is conducting the mass and represents Jesus, then he is the one to take the wine.  Also, in many places, when there is a small amount of some food or drink item it is given to the head of a family and/or guest.  

This is a theory.  I mentioned it as possible thoughts.

Ebor
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 04:44:26 PM by Ebor »

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2003, 04:46:41 PM »
Thank all of you for your encouraging words about my scaped cornea.  It seems to be healing nicely.  I have an ointment for it now and another eye doctor check up in a couple of weeks.  It was a bad one and large, but did not puncture the eye.  I can now drive again and don't need the dark glasses much at all.

Ebor

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2003, 04:49:40 PM »
I have been wondering if I should continue this thread.  I regret not posting for the past weeks, but I couldn't stay on long and write with only one eye.  (It's amazing what you find out binocular vision can do, when you don't have it.)  

Ebor

Hypo-Ortho

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2003, 04:58:27 PM »
I have been wondering if I should continue this thread.  I regret not posting for the past weeks, but I couldn't stay on long and write with only one eye.  (It's amazing what you find out binocular vision can do, when you don't have it.)  

Ebor

Ebor, if you can put up with my dyslexia, I'll be more than happy to accomodate your one-eyed posting.   ;)  Please continue this thread.

Hypo-Ortho

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2003, 05:12:43 PM »
Thanks, Hypo-Ortho.  I appreciate your courtesy.   :)
I fear that eventually something I write will be taken as an attack, no matter how carefully I write since it will disagree with someone else's views.  Sigh.  That has never been my intent. and I suppose sufficient unto the day is the arguments thereof...

Yours.

Eborl

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2003, 05:32:59 PM »
Ebor, I'm glad to hear your eye is healing well.  When you are ready, I'm sure there are a lot of us who would like to hear you continue with your story.
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
Re:Why I Am Also An Episcopalian
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2003, 11:50:26 AM »
What's the big deal about August 2nd?

Offline the slave

• High Elder
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2003, 11:59:00 AM »
OC Summerfest ??
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 11:59:40 AM by the slave »
"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2003, 11:59:10 AM »
The 2nd of August is the OC.net Summerfest picnic in Maryland and meeting various Forum members in RL/as "Liveware"/ face to face. :)  See the link at the top of the page.

Ebor

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2003, 12:25:35 PM »
Thanks.  Since I'm on the west coast, it's not that feasible for me.

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2003, 04:44:45 PM »
Well, I had another eye check yesterday and the surface of the eye has healed up totally.  There's still some swelling, but that's common.  Eyes don't forgive "insults" quickly.  So I still am using hte ointment at night, but the prognosis is good.  So I can go back to posting more here, as much as RL will allow.  Now to finish my next intallment before I post it.

Thanks for all the encouragement and concern.

Ebor
« Last Edit: July 27, 2003, 04:45:27 PM by Ebor »

Offline the slave

• High Elder
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2003, 04:55:18 PM »
Hooray :D

Look forward to the next installment - just don't overdo things now.
- St. John Maximovitch

Hypo-Ortho

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2003, 08:20:40 PM »
So glad to know that you're doing well, Ebor!   :D

Hypo-Ortho

Offline Brigid of Kildare

• Elder
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2003, 02:05:35 PM »
Great news Ebor, both about your eye and that you will be continuing your story.

Brigid
Bríd Naomhtha, Mhuire na nGaeil, Guí Orainn