OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 08:13:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Pope, A King, Some Cluniacs and Many Mozarabs  (Read 1085 times) Average Rating: 0
authio
Elder

« on: March 13, 2007, 08:55:55 PM »

I hope some of you are interested, and I also hope this is not entirely self-gratifying.

I'm currently doing original research on the implications of the liturgical transition of the Spanish Church in the eleventh century to the Roman rite.  The question is: what does this say about the Spanish tradition of monarchy during the reconquista?

The Spanish church was an autonomous, autochthonous Latin church previous to the eleventh century.  Upon the beginning of the age of the Cluniac reformers, Spain's church became imbued with Cluniac monastics and, later, bishops.  In 1065, the Spanish bishops received apostolic blessing from Pope Alexander II to continue in their use of the Toledan, or Mozarabic, liturgy, codified in the seventh century by St. Isidoro of Sevilla.  In 1071, the king of Aragón, Sancho I Ramirez, advocated the switch, and upon the entrance of Cluniac monks to the royal monastery of San Juan de la Peña, the transition in Aragón was set.  Then, in 1073, Pope Gregory VII urged the promulgation of the Roman liturgy across the peninsula.  In 1076, Navarre became united to Aragón after the Navarese king died, and the Roman rite accordingly spread there.

And in 1077, this is where my argument starts.  Gregory sends a letter patent to Alfonso VI of León-Castile, the hierarchs of his realm, and the monastics, expositing Roman suzerainity over Spain and urging them to change to the Roman rite.  A few months later,  Alfonso took the title of imperator totus hispanae while at the same times apocryphal accounts describe his push for the Roman rite.  By 1079, Gregory was sure of Alfonso's intentions and sent him a portion of the relics of St. Peter.  In 1080, Alfonso convened the Council of Burgos.  Although no documents are extant, it is clear that the Roman rite was nigh compulsory for parishes in the Christian kingdoms of Spain from that point forward.

But in 1085, Toledo fell to the northern Christians, where they encountered the Latin Mozarabs for the first time in centuries.....

want more detail?  want to read more of my work?  leave me a comment or a question!

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 09:36:59 PM »

Sure!  Sounds very interesting.
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 08:15:22 PM »

I'd like to see it too.

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 10:40:25 PM »

Yes, please...I am always interested in different liturgical rites and traditions, and history of course.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
authio
Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 10:53:13 PM »

This is part of a paper to be presented at the Phi Alpha Theta (History Honors Society), West Coast Conference, 2007 in Lincoln City, Oregon in April.

This is getting pushed into a weekend project, but I will post more of it as it becomes available.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Tags: mozarabic liturgy  king alfonso vi  pope gregory vii  pope alexander ii 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: