OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 05:38:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christ is Risen in Fiddler on the Roof!  (Read 978 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: March 13, 2007, 08:37:57 AM »

There was nothing on TV tonight, so I picked out a DVD from my collection to watch, and it was Fiddler on the Roof, and I saw a "blooper" I've never noticed before.
In the segment before the opening credits when Tevye is explaining the importance of tradition, and the choir sings about the role of the Mamma in the family, at the point where they sing: "Who must raise the family and run the home / so Pappa's free to read the Holy Book?", the scene cuts to the Synagogue. However, if you look at the red curtain in the Synagogue which screens off the Ark where the Torah scrolls should be kept, the letters "XB" can be seen on it, the abreviation for the Russian "Христос Воскресе" ("Christ is Risen") which often appears on a Russian Orthodox Iconostasis. Later in the film, when the Jews are evicted, the Rabbi goes to retreve the Torah scrolls from the ark, and the Curtain now has a Magen David on it. It seems the prop used in the scene before the opening credits was an Orthodox Christian Altar Screen, later replaced when someone picked up the error, however, the editors accidently left a scene which showed the curtain with "XB" on it.
If you have a copy of Fiddler, check it out!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 01:50:29 AM »

Didn't one of the Jewish daughters in this film marry a Russian boy in a scene in an Orthodox Church, caused a family crisis?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 08:15:11 AM »

Didn't one of the Jewish daughters in this film marry a Russian boy in a scene in an Orthodox Church, caused a family crisis?

I remember the scene with the mother walking into the Church... I think the hymn "Today salvation has come unto all the world" was going off in my head!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: