OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 06:17:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sainthood Sought For Gallitzin  (Read 1277 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« on: March 10, 2007, 03:51:58 PM »

Sainthood sought for Gallitzin

"Tomorrow in Loretto's Basilica of St. Michael the Archangel, Frank and Betty Seymour will present Bishop Joseph Adamec with the petition for sainthood for Father Demetrius Gallitzin, an 18th century Russian prince who converted to Catholicism and became a pioneering missionary in Western Pennsylvania..."

Guess this caught my attention as it's about my home county (Cambria, PA). I'm sure many people here have read about (or at least heard of) another Christian convert who worked in Pennsylvania--Alexis Toth--though in that case he converted from Catholic to Orthodoxy. This seemed like an interesting "other side of the coin".  Fwiw, most people (about 67%) in Cambria county are still Roman Catholic.
Ung-Certez

Vind'ber Selo

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 02:39:09 PM »

Wasn't the Prince's Mother German and Catholic?

Ung-Certez
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 09:29:59 PM »

Fr. Demetrius' mother was a German countess and was raised Catholic, but both his parents were non-religious until his mother had a conversion experience in 1786 and Fr. Demetrius joined her in 1787.  Interesting side note, Catherine the Great was his godmother. So while nominally Orthodox he is not a conversion in the same sense as St. Alexis.  Although he did share in troubles with trustees, as St. Alexis did, and my Greatx4 Grandfather assisted him.

"One of his first challenges as a newly ordained priest was to counter rampant trusteeism, the practice of placing a parish in the hands of a board of parishioners, or trustees, many of whom were not even Catholic. These groups controlled the parish, separated themselves from other parishioners, and operated the parish as a profit making organization, with the proceeds frequently going to themselves. Father Gallitzin rejected this aberrant practice as foreign to Catholicism, and properly insisted on his rights and responsibilities as pastor.

As Father Gallitzin traveled to his assignments he sometimes encountered the severe anti-Catholicism still rampant in the new country of the United States. He faced threats of personal physical violence, even from dissident Catholics unhappy with the determination of his ministry. On one occasion an angry mob of malcontents launched a “murderous attack” upon him but he was rescued by a “mountain of a man,” a passerby named John Weakland. Despite the opposition, Gallitzin was undeterred in his work."

This occasion is commerated in stained glass at St. Jospeh's Church:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~pacambri/cems/WCaHarts/p000d.html

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 09:47:37 PM »

On one occasion an angry mob of malcontents launched a “murderous attack” upon him but he was rescued by a “mountain of a man,” a passerby named John Weakland. Despite the opposition, Gallitzin was undeterred in his work."

This occasion is commerated in stained glass at St. Jospeh's Church:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~pacambri/cems/WCaHarts/p000d.html

Thanks for this, it is a beautiful piece, and a heartening story. I hope that one day John Weakland is beatified for his example of Christian manly courage and chivalry! It would be good to have such examples of manliness in a world which equates masculinity with heartless acts of cruelty to aniimals and people.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 09:53:58 PM »

When they exhumed his body to transfer it to St. Jospeh's cemetery, it was found that his right arm, with which he wrenched an oak fence post from the ground to defend Fr. Demetrius, was incorrupt.  They looked into starting his cause once but not much interest was shown by the Diocese.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 06:48:34 PM »

Deacon Lance, he's talking about Weakland's from Loretto, Chest Springs Wink
Now you know who I am (well, maybe).  My great-whatever grandfather also built the orignal casket for Fr. Gallitizan. 
Your distant cousin,
username!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 06:51:12 PM by username! » Logged

Tags: catholic  convert  russia  pennsylvania  gallitzin 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: