OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 01:27:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Priest's blessing  (Read 1059 times) Average Rating: 0
BasilCan

« on: April 12, 2007, 09:45:45 AM »

Christ is Risen!

Would someone be able to tell me what a priest says (or should say) when he blesses you outside the church? Let me explain. I occasionally see the priest of the parish I currently attend around town. When I see him, I cup my hand and ask for his blessing. He blesses me and mumbles something in Greek and then I kiss his hand. What is he saying in his "mumbled Greek" or what normally do priests say when they bless you?

Basil
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 03:11:01 PM »

From my very slight research, it doesn't seem like they say anything, but make the sign of the cross on your hand. However, he is probably just saying, "Lord, bless your servant", or some other common phrase.

I've never had any experience, as our priest just wears khakis and a button down shirt when out of church, so we usually just shake hands. Plus, there's only about 5-10 devout people who kiss his hand when receiving the antidoron.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
BasilCan

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 09:00:10 PM »

So, I guess he may be saying "Come by my brother's restaurant for lunch sometime"

Come on - there has got to be some seminarians who can tell me what a priest does/should say we he blesses you outside the liturgy.

Basil
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 06:21:13 AM »

He's saying "Where's the cash?"  Grin

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 02:07:20 PM »

Come on - there has got to be some seminarians who can tell me what a priest does/should say we he blesses you outside the liturgy.

Basil

Typically, if someone asks a priest for a blessing, the priest will say "O Kyrios" or "Tou Kyriou" which means "The Lord" or "Of the Lord." In both cases, the point is that the Lord blesses us, or that blessings come from the Lord.

If your priest is a bit more formal or one who avoids shorthand, he might say the whole thing: "O Kyrios evlogei" or "O Kyrios va sas evlogei,"   i.e. "The Lord blesses" or "May the Lord bless you."

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 12:50:03 AM »

In the serbian church they say "blessed is our God always now and forever and to the ages of ages amen" while doing the cross over the person.  I've seen other "slavic" priests do similar/same things. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 08:42:28 AM »

Our Antiochian Priest who is a convert , trained in a Greek Orthodox Church and the Antiochian house of Studies uses the Serbian blessing noted above.  My ROCOR  pastors used the same in English.

Thomas
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 08:42:52 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: