OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 04:46:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Studying the Letters of St. Severus  (Read 2542 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: March 02, 2007, 01:54:20 AM »

Hi guys,

I intend to leave this thread for any open question on the letters of St. Severus

So I was reading through the letters which can be read here:
http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/#Severus_of_Antioch

and I have two questions:

1.  Has anyone done a study on the authenticity of some of these letters.  For example, I stop by a few letters addressed by St. Severus to St. Dioscorus, and I have to say, there seems to be a question of authenticity there.  The date of these letter was well after the departure of St. Dioscorus.

2.  This is a question of content, and I hope I am not misreading.  In a letter to Hippocrates the seemingly haughty and racist Alexandrine scholastic, St. Severus writes:

For the holy Cyril also, after he had written a derisive book against Theodore and Diodorus, the teachers of the impiety of Nestorius (and he contends against them and says, «You have surpassed the open-mouthedness of the heathen, you have shown the impieties of Jewish pride to be nothing»), sent a message by letter to Proclus of saintly memory bishop of Constantinople not to remove the name of such men from the sacred diptychs, because those of the East clung to the memory of this man.

Does this mean that while St. Cyril may personally anathematize Diodore and Theodore, he allowed them to be celebrated as saints in some other churches, or could this letter be brought to question in authenticity for some scholarly reason?

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 02:30:40 AM »

1.  Has anyone done a study on the authenticity of some of these letters.  For example, I stop by a few letters addressed by St. Severus to St. Dioscorus, and I have to say, there seems to be a question of authenticity there.  The date of these letter was well after the departure of St. Dioscorus.

The letter is dated to the year 516-7 A.D. The Patriarch of Alexandria at this time was St. Dioscoros II; it is to this Dioscoros that the letter is addressed, not Dioscoros I. St. Dioscoros I is addressed by St. Severus in a previous letter dated 513-4 A.D. as, "Dioscorus of saintly memory".

Does this mean that while St. Cyril may personally anathematize Diodore and Theodore, he allowed them to be celebrated as saints in some other churches, or could this letter be brought to question in authenticity for some scholarly reason?

lol You can't just go looking for "scholarly" reasons to doubt something just because it prima facie irks you.

Obviously the context and purpose of this letter need to be considered first, and these are things I personally won't have time to properly investigate right now. Having read some of the proceeding letters very briefly, it looks like St. Severus is concerned with the matter of various cities and congregations of his day wishing to join the non-Chalcedonian Communion. He is thus considering a pastoral concern, which is more or less similar to the one we have considered with regard to the prospect of the re-establishment of inter-communion between our Church and the EO Church.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 02:34:19 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 03:17:07 AM »

lol You can't just go looking for "scholarly" reasons to doubt something just because it prima facie irks you.

hehe...I know...it was worth a try  Embarrassed

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 08:08:04 PM »

There is a Serbian bishop I know who is planning on doing his disertation on Severus and all of his works. 

Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of resources?  Books, articles, links, etc. 

Anything you could give me would be really helpful.  Thanks a lot in advance! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 11:38:26 PM »

Aside from the link provided above by Mina, there is this book:

http://books.lulu.com/content/132545

It is from the Oriental Orthodox Library:

http://www.orthodox-library.com/catalogue.htm

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 01:24:36 AM »

http://www.cecs.acu.edu.au/severusresearch.htm

This website contains a huge amount of resources.

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 07:33:07 AM »

Thank you all!  Very VERY helpful! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 07:44:30 AM »

There is a Serbian bishop I know who is planning on doing his disertation on Severus and all of his works.

Nice. What point of view is he seeking to advance?

Anything you could give me would be really helpful.  Thanks

If your Bishop wishes to consult any scholars, direct him to the contact information of Professor Youssef Youhanna or Pauline Allen as located at the website linked to by Mina. Professor Youhanna is a Coptic Orthodox member of the Melbourne Diocese, and he's very approachable. If your Bishop cannot read French or German, it's probably advisable that he contact some of these scholars, since lots of Severian research has been performed in these languages (as you can see the from the Bibliography provided at Mina's link).

P.S. A good introductory article to St. Severus' Christology was authored by Peter Farrington some years back and can be read here: http://www.quodlibet.net/farrington-severus.shtml
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 07:48:22 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 11:31:19 AM »

Nice. What point of view is he seeking to advance?

Your guess is as good as mine.  I was told by another bishop who is friends with the guy in question.  Although I know the guy, i'm not on "best friend" status with him  Wink 

I think it was going to be a compelation type of work.  The request from my bishop, for this other bishop in Serbia, is ANYTHING I COULD FIND on St. Severus.  SO I think he is going to try to reconstruct the whole thing, and do something with it in Serbian. 

I'm going to suggest those scholars to my sources, but i'm not sure that this Serbian bishop speaks any other languages...so that might be a problem.  But hey, doesn't hurt to ask.   

Thanks a lot for the link and the info! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 06:37:51 PM »

It would be great if one day they can translate some of his other works into English.  I'm particularly interested in reading the "La polémique antijulianiste" series.

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 06:54:25 PM »

If you could find a book in German I would DEFINITELY consider it. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Tags: St. Severus  Miaphysitism St. Dioscoros Chalcedon  Authenticity Christology saints Oriental Orthodox saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: