OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 12:14:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antiochians Changing Creed?  (Read 4086 times) Average Rating: 0
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« on: February 28, 2007, 11:25:07 PM »

I heard today from a friend that the AOC is changing the wording of the creed from:

"... and was made man ..." to "... and became man..."

Anything to this?  ANy of you theologians or seminarians want to chime in on this?

What does anyone think about this?

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 12:07:58 AM »

I'm no seminarian, nor a theologian of any kind, but it seems that the first version, "...was made man," implies Christ was made, i.e. created, which He was not. Hence, "...and became man..." would be a bit more accurate, in this respect.

Donna

hmmmm...
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 12:29:54 AM »

Well, the word in the Greek is ενανθρωπήσαντα which is fairly easy to break down: en-anthro-pisanta.  The beginning would be in-man-, or in-human-, but its the last word that gets tricky (where I would rely on pensateomnia if he's around): is it a derivative of ποιω/ποιησε?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 01:12:13 AM »

lol Can you tell who's the seminarian between us? Wink

Donna

hmmmm...
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 01:37:24 AM »

I heard today from a friend that the AOC is changing the wording of the creed from:

"... and was made man ..." to "... and became man..."

Anything to this?  ANy of you theologians or seminarians want to chime in on this?

What does anyone think about this?

Both my Jordanville prayer books say "...and became man..."  so what's the big deal?
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 02:48:46 AM »

Well, from an English perspective I would say that "Became" is a stronger emphasis than "made."   Became it became a part of Him, whereas I do no think "was made falls under that full emphasis."  Also, was made being in the passive seems to imply that someone he made Him a man.  An arguble emphasis one could deduce by the Incarnation fair enough.  However, one could also imply that it brings in a bit more of doubt as not having full divinity as "became" might.  In a way similar to what Donna Rose said. 
That said, I think the difference is really not that big of a deal and all OCA and ROCOR churches I've been to have used it.  Personally, if I was being strict about it (as someone without training in Greek or much theology) I'd probably choose the new way just as a surer way.  Maybe if the other non-Slavic Churches also use the latter version, perhaps, they're merely trying to keep the Creed more uniform across Orthodoxy.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 06:26:29 AM »

I';ve heard both used interchangably. They're not changing the Creed. They're changing the wording of a TRANSLATION of the Creed, both versions of which may be imperfect, but one may be closer. Going by the interesting wordings the Antiochians use in general, this is probably a step up.

Qui cantat, bis orat
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 10:28:18 AM »

I think it would be nice if we could just come up with a common English translation (and not just for the creed).
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 10:38:43 AM »

I agree with Welkodox. It would be another step closer to unity and more welcoming or understandable to newcomers.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 11:26:07 AM »

I've wondered by SCOBA (at least) hasn't formed a multi-jurisdictional committee to put forth a single English translation of, at the very least, the Divine Liturgy.  For all their talk of unity, this seems like a no-brainer. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 11:36:15 AM »

I've wondered by SCOBA (at least) hasn't formed a multi-jurisdictional committee to put forth a single English translation of, at the very least, the Divine Liturgy.  For all their talk of unity, this seems like a no-brainer. 

One was formed about 15 years ago and they produced two separate translations, one using thee/thou and the other using you/your. There was universal agreement amongst the jurisdictions that they all hated it for some reason or another so they never went into use.

Joseph
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 11:42:14 AM »

Well that sounds like it was a complete waste of time, money and talent!  How can an internal committee put forth something that apparently everyone hated?

Even the ICEL hasn't reached that point yet! Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 01:09:18 PM »

Schultz:

Talk is cheap  Wink

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 01:12:09 PM »

One was formed about 15 years ago and they produced two separate translations, one using thee/thou and the other using you/your. There was universal agreement amongst the jurisdictions that they all hated it for some reason or another so they never went into use.

This is "The Official Translation of the Confession of Faith adopted by the Holy Eparchial Synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America":

http://www.goarch.org/en/chapel/liturgical_texts/creed.asp

The Nicene Creed

I believe in one God, Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all ages.

Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten not created, of one essence with the Father through Whom all things were made.

Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary and became man.

He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate. He suffered and was buried.

And He rose on the third day, according to the Scriptures.

He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

And He will come again with glory to judge the living and dead. His kingdom shall have no end.

And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Creator of life, Who proceeds from the Father, Who together with the Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified, Who spoke through the prophets.

In one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.

I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

I look for the resurrection of the dead and the life of the age to come. Amen.

"He became man" is what we use (or, are supposed to use) in the GOA.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 03:30:10 PM »

ICEL = Tongue

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
SakranMM
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 07:08:59 PM »

Is there authority behind this "changing" of the creed, or is this a seminarian rumor?  What's the official scoop.  I've seen nothing from any official Antiochian source as of yet.

In Christ,

Rdr. Michael

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 07:45:20 PM »

Neither have I. I just got wind of it from a friend of mine who is a member of an AOC parish.

Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 09:45:17 PM »

I think it would be nice if we could just come up with a common English translation (and not just for the creed).

AMEN
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 10:48:36 PM »

Absolutely! So much needed.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 10:53:12 PM »

UOC uses "became man". Also, I have heard that Fr. Archimandrite Ephraim Lash from Manchester, UK has been defined by the Ecumenical Patriarchate as the lead expert for English liturgical texts. The web site, were Fr. Ephraim seems to be a major contributor is here: http://www.anastasis.org.uk/
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 11:47:54 AM »

The original Arabic (in the Orthodox version of the creed) uses one intransitive verb in the active voice.  The passive 'was made man' sounds less accurate to me than the proposed change.  Other churches underscore this by using the exact phrase 'and became a man' in Arabic.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 11:50:18 AM »

ICEL = Tongue

james

Well, yeah! Smiley

But my point was that there actually are some people who like the ICEL translations for some God awful reason.

Apaprently this SCOBA translation was universally hated.

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2007, 12:00:31 PM »

Apaprently this SCOBA translation was universally hated.
Every jurisdiction found something wrong with the translation. There are not even universal translations that are being used within each jurisdiction.

Joseph
AMM
Archon

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 01:59:47 PM »

Some more info on why it was DOA.

http://www.touchstonemag.com/archives/article.php?id=09-04-002-e
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2007, 04:12:45 PM »

Thanks for the link, welkodox.  I think I would stick with the Greek myself too if I had to celebrate liturgy with that text!  But, then again, God is not limited by texts, though we are. 

Since so many are brining up other languages as a point of comparison, may I suggest that though the Greek creed uses the participle enanthropesanta , in the Latin creed the participle became a finite verb in factus est which is the perfect active indicative form of the verbfio, fieri, factus sum.  It means to come into being, to become.  Coincidentally, in the Vulgate translation of Genesis, the sentence "Let there be light" is rendered as "Fiat lux", which is the jussive subjunctive form of the same verb.  It's interesting, at least to me, because this word in Latin suggests coming into being from nothing.  And Christ was not clothed in flesh before his condescension so I think the subtltety of the incarnation is rendered nicely with word "to become" though the English is not so filled with metaphor as the Latin.  Ah, the dangers of translation!  Maybe we should all just speak Greek.  Cheesy Let the assaults begin!

I'm now going to begin my Lenten hiatus of non-posting.  God keep you all during the Great Fast!

Scamandrius

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Ung-Certez

Vind'ber Selo

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2007, 01:27:04 PM »

Cheesy

Maybe they hired a floating Roman Catholic-turned Orthodox-turned indepent litugist/musican? That seems popular these days. Wink

Ung-Certez
AMM
Archon

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2007, 01:44:52 PM »

Cheesy

Maybe they hired a floating Roman Catholic-turned Orthodox-turned indepent litugist/musican? That seems popular these days. Wink

Ung-Certez

Somehow I can't see the Antiochians going for that given their language preferences.  Smiley

It is interesting to see their one time uber traditionalist is now all ga ga over gender neutral and modernized liturgies though.

[welcome btw]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 01:50:20 PM by welkodox » Logged
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2007, 02:06:29 PM »

It is interesting to see their one time uber traditionalist is now all ga ga over gender neutral and modernized liturgies though.

Why pray tell may that be hmmmmmmmm....  Wink

Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2007, 05:31:11 PM »

I think we have been so long divided as independant Archdiocese/ Dioces in the nation, that we cannot agree on a single translation, and whenever somone offers up interpretation, they have to go through everybodys administration,  and so it gets tied up in legislation,  and causes further segregation when somone show defenestration, the thing is dropped in retaliation, and is never taken up again for reexamination.

Which means the whole process was simply flatulation.

And that's the situation.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2007, 06:30:43 PM »

I don't know if I can help... I don't know Greek, but I think it's a matter of translation.
In Romanian the creed is like this:

"Si întru unul Domn, Iisus Hristos, .... Care pentru noi oamenii... S-a întrupat... şi S-a facut om."
I've posted the dots so the meaning can be understood.
The "S" is reflexive. It means that the action was done by Jesus and the object of the action is also Jesus.
The rough translation is:
"And in one Lord, Jesus Christ,.... who  incarnated himself ... and made himself man."
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 06:38:14 PM by ma2000 » Logged

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2007, 08:57:40 AM »

I think we have been so long divided as independant Archdiocese/ Dioces in the nation, that we cannot agree on a single translation

I think there are two basic camps, those who favor sacral English interspersed with archaisms, and those who prefer more up to date English.  You also have a minority in the second camp that favors some of the things that are regarded highly by more liberal leaning liturgical scholars.  I think this issue is actually one while it may be aided by jurisdicational fragmentation, I don't think that is the cause of it.  The OCA has two allowable translations, one sacral and one more modern.  While I can see the value of a single style of English, I can also see that this would mean forcing people to use something they don't want to.  Doing that I don't think has a good track record for getting the desired results.

What can be even more confusing is when both styles are used in one service. 
authio
Elder

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2007, 12:45:25 PM »

We use both the "sacral" and the "modern," at least in the Pacific Northwest Deanery of the OCA.  However, we only use the "modern" at the dismissal hymn to the Theotokos:
"More honorable than the cherubim and more glorious beyond compare than the seraphim, without defilement you gave birth to God the Word: true Theotokoks we magnify you."

likewise the closing prayer to the Theotokos after an activity:
"It is truly meet to bless you, O Theotokos, most blessed and blameless, and Mother of our God.  More honorable...(See above)"

Besides that, we use the "sacral" translation.  Does the OCA do this anywhere else?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 12:46:48 PM by authiodionitist » Logged

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Tags: Antiochians  Creed 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: