OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 07:01:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diocese of San Diego files Chapter 11  (Read 2178 times) Average Rating: 0
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« on: February 28, 2007, 11:01:59 AM »

SAN DIEGO - The Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection a few hours before it was to go to trial Wednesday in the first of more than 140 lawsuits accusing priests of sexual abuse.

The bankruptcy filing, put in at five minutes to midnight, automatically halted the court proceedings.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070228/ap_on_re_us/church_abuse_bankruptcy_12
cholmes

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 11:16:37 AM »

I think this is a harbinger of things to come for the RC Church in America.  And based on their despicable behavior in protecting abusive priests, I can't say I feel bad for them. 

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 02:51:24 PM »

I think this is a harbinger of things to come for the RC Church in America.  And based on their despicable behavior in protecting abusive priests, I can't say I feel bad for them. 
Despicable and abominable the RC may have been in protecting priests who abuse children, I feel we should lament this, if only because the great work the diocese does in charitable work for the poor, the homeless, the sick, those in her hospitals, etc. 

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 03:16:51 PM »

Great news! Shut 'em all down.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 03:21:47 PM »

Great news! Shut 'em all down.
Wow. Completely and totally uncharitable. I am sorry that some of our hierarchy has behaved poorly concerning this matter. But there is no need for the call of the end me religion and the Catholic Church. When secularists such as yourself say such things, you lose all intellectual credibility!!!!!! Angry Angry Angry

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 03:42:54 PM »

Wow.  It took Tom over 4 hours.  I've been waiting all day, my man! Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 06:12:22 PM »

Wow.  It took Tom over 4 hours.  I've been waiting all day, my man! Wink

Sorry! Don't check in that often anymore  Wink
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 06:14:19 PM »

..you lose all intellectual credibility!!!!!! Angry Angry Angry

I am sorry. You must be confusing me with someone else. Who around here has EVER thought that I had even a smidgen of "intellectual credibility"?  Quoting Mr. Austin Powers "That's not my bag, baby!" Grin
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 06:15:47 PM by TomS » Logged
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 11:34:33 PM »

Sad... I also heard about charity work of Roman Catholic diocese of San Diego.
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 06:34:32 AM »

What is sad is that they declared Ch11 in order to stall the lawsuits, which certainly WOULD bankrupt them just with the proceedings, nevermind the settlements. For the lawsuits, however, they are quite fully responsible, so the sorrow over the loss of the ability to give charity can be directed at the source; the poor will pay for a great evil perpetrated by richer men, once again. If they were not being sued over covering up child abuse, they would be able to continue other work. Their work in the past among children, however, was sorely lacking.

One can only hope that the Orthodox churches in the area will help pick up the slack.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 06:35:33 AM by choirfiend » Logged

Qui cantat, bis orat
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 05:38:20 PM »

What really angers me is the collections for the poorer parishes in the diocese...if there were no law suits the monies would be available.

Many suffer for the few...sad any way you look at it.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 10:48:11 PM »

One can only hope that the Orthodox churches in the area will help pick up the slack.

Do not put too much stock in your hope. The number of Catholics in the San Diego dioese (~1 million) equals about 2/3 of the entire Orthodox population in the United States. Those are awfully big shoes to fill.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 10:52:46 PM by lubeltri » Logged
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 12:10:01 AM »

That's true.  It's much more likely they would go Protestant.
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 12:33:20 AM »

Reply with quoteQuote
What really angers me is the collections for the poorer parishes in the diocese...if there were no law suits the monies would be available.

Many suffer for the few...sad any way you look at it.

james

Very Sad indeed....I can't help but think of the good priest that are really making a difference and suddenly the cards all come crashing down on them on the part of a few perverts and pc policies that won't toss these bums out. Whenever I think about the situation in the RC, for some reason I have a picture of Christ storming the temple and turning over tables. Where is the righteous anger of Godly men in the RC to do the same? In today's culture, priests are now looked down upon because no one cares to do enough and the priesthood has become sissified & feminized.. Roll Eyes What a sad situation for faithful Roman Catholics that many of their dioceses have to face bankruptcy. Now, if I were an RC priest and came across one of these child molesting pervert priest, I would put them through a wall, but hey, that's just me.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 08:00:25 AM »

... based on their despicable behavior in protecting abusive priests, I can't say I feel bad for them. 

I can't help but think of the good priests that are really making a difference and suddenly the cards all come crashing down on them on the part of a few perverts and pc policies that won't toss these bums out.

What they said.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: