OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 10:42:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not a recipie, but a question about cake  (Read 3292 times) Average Rating: 0
aurelia
High Elder

« on: February 27, 2007, 03:55:11 PM »

Here's the thing.  My daughter's birthday is March 25 (lucky child) However I would like to know how I am supposed to do a birthday cake and follow the fast (which honestly I'm not doing too well with anyway, considering Mr meat and potatoes here...) with no eggs or oil.  There is a girl or two at church that she wants to invite, and one I know of does follow the fast pretty strictly with her family.

Any suggestions (besides waiting to celebrate til after Easter)Huh??
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 04:36:11 PM »

Funny you should ask this...my birthday was last Friday, and my godmother sent my mom a recipe for a lenten cake to make, in case my mom was going to make me a cake (I live in a non-Orthodox household, but my mom is very supportive of me during the fast). We wound up not having the time to make the cake for last Friday, but I plan on giving it a go as soon as I have a bit of time. Here it is:

Lenten Chocolate Cake

3 cups flour
    2 tsps. Soda
    7 tbsps. Cocoa
    1 tsp. salt
    2 cups sugar
    3 tbsps. Vinegar
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 cups cold water
    powdered sugar (optional)

Measure flour, soda, cocoa, salt, and sugar into a large mixing bowl.  Add vinegar, vanilla, oil, and water and mix well.  Pour batter into greased 9 x 13 inch pan.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  Let cake sit for 1 hour and then sprinkle powdered sugar on the top or use a non-dairy vanilla frosting... I think Duncan Hines has a couple.

The only thing is that this recipe calls for vegetable oil...depending on how strictly you and your party guests are observing the fast, this may pose a problem. Perhaps ask your priest if for that one day oil might be something you can cook with? Also, my godmother noted to me after sending this to me that if you use raspberry vinegar instead of regular, it adds a nice lil berry taste to the cake. I haven't tried baking this yet, but it seems easy enough. Maybe do a test run a few weeks before the party to make sure it comes out good? If you do, let me know how it tastes! Smiley

In Christ,
Donna 

hmmmm...
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 04:57:06 PM »

The only thing is that this recipe calls for vegetable oil...depending on how strictly you and your party guests are observing the fast, this may pose a problem.

March 25 is a Sunday and Wine & Oil are allowed on weekends.  This (recipe) should be a non-issue if you are on the new or old calendar.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 04:59:54 PM »

Thanks to both of you! 

First, I will put that recipie in the sticky in family forum if it isnt there already,
and second, I didnt even think to look what day it was. LOL!  Still it is good to have a cake recipie for Lent.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 05:03:24 PM »

March 25 is a Sunday and Wine & Oil are allowed on weekends.  This (recipe) should be a non-issue if you are on the new or old calendar.

Who said?  This was my question to Anastasios about a week ago and maybe I misconstrued his response but I think both he and I disagree with this. 

I'm always so very confused during Great Lent. Huh

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 05:12:49 PM »

Who said?  This was my question to Anastasios about a week ago and maybe I misconstrued his response but I think both he and I disagree with this. 

I'm always so very confused during Great Lent. Huh

Are you calendar-referencing challenged?  I look on my Outlook calendar for March 25, 2007 and it is Sunday.  On Sat & Sun througout Great Lent (Holy Week not considered part of Great Lent actually, but its own beast) Wine & Oil are allowed.  This coming March 25 is new calendar Annunciation, so Fish is allowed as well.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 05:23:02 PM »

Doh! Of course I can read a calendar!

Every Priest I have ever asked (all SOC) have told me the same thing.  No oil, no exceptions.

I was once told (maybe by S1389) that the rules in the SOC are so strict because they need to compensate for the fact that nobody (or very few) were fasting.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 05:42:12 PM »

Also, the Duncan Hines cake mix brand is totally vegan.  All you have to do is mix the cake mix with about a can of coke(maybe a bit more) and pour it into a pan and bake as normal.  Then you can frost it with the Duncan Hines frostings, all of which are vegan except for the Cream Cheese one.  It tastes like a normal cake. 

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 06:10:24 PM »

Also, the Duncan Hines cake mix brand is totally vegan.  All you have to do is mix the cake mix with about a can of coke(maybe a bit more) and pour it into a pan and bake as normal.  Then you can frost it with the Duncan Hines frostings, all of which are vegan except for the Cream Cheese one.  It tastes like a normal cake. 

Cooking with a can of coke?  Weird
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 06:13:47 PM »

Wow, I didn't know this about the Duncan Hines cake mixes -- thanks for the info! Also, do you mean a can of coke, as in coca cola? I have never heard of adding soda to cake mix...and this really works? Huh

Also, thanks for everyone's response re: the vegetable oil issue -- I didn't even look at a calendar before I posted. Makes sense that if it's a Sunday, and one of the 12 major feasts no less, that oil would be allowed. Never hurts to ask your priest though. Smiley

Donna

hmmmm...
authio
Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 06:28:22 PM »

I thought that the "oil" reference was to olive oil alone?

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 06:30:17 PM »

Here's the thing.  My daughter's birthday is March 25 (lucky child) However I would like to know how I am supposed to do a birthday cake and follow the fast (which honestly I'm not doing too well with anyway, considering Mr meat and potatoes here...) with no eggs or oil.  There is a girl or two at church that she wants to invite, and one I know of does follow the fast pretty strictly with her family.

Any suggestions (besides waiting to celebrate til after Easter)Huh??

The above recipe is great for the fast if you're having cake on a weekend, or on March 25th.

I believe that the fasting rules for March 25th have been kinda expounded, but maybe in a confusing way.

IIRC, Regardless of when Mar 25th (Annunciation) falls, you can wine, oil, and fish on that day. 

One caveat: If Mar 25th falls on Holy Friday or Holy Saturday (which at the moment is only possible for those on the Old Calendar), its commemoration is moved to Pascha, thus making the date itself devoid of the commemoration and making Mar 26th or 27th the feastday for that year.  If you happen to have her birthday and you're Old Calendar and Annunciation falls on one of those days, celebrate it on Pascha.

As for the Weekends question: because Saturday and Sunday are only semi-lenten (colors in the church are to be bright, "no kneeling" and whatnot, and one is not to do the strictest fast - no eating period - on Saturdays and Sundays except for Holy Saturday) the fast is lessened on those days: wine and oil are permitted, unless directed otherwise by your spiritual father.  Of course, this variance in the fasting routine allows one to make a more scrumptuous meal on weekends, which fits along with the idea that Sundays are still joyful days.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 06:51:39 PM »

Not meaning to throw a clinker in here, but some EO fasting rules that I have seen discussed have said no "olive oil" (which makes sense as a clue that the rules are coming from a Mediterranean milieu and that was the kind of oil around) so people have used canola or corn oil or such like.  Then there's the soy/almond/rice milk equivalent rather then using dairy and from what I recall apple sauce can be used in some cases for baking.  So I wasn't sure how using oil in a cake would be a difficulty since I've never seen a cake that used olive oil (though there could be of course.)

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
authio
Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 11:22:36 PM »

The above recipe is great for the fast if you're having cake on a weekend, or on March 25th.

I believe that the fasting rules for March 25th have been kinda expounded, but maybe in a confusing way.

IIRC, Regardless of when Mar 25th (Annunciation) falls, you can wine, oil, and fish on that day. 

One caveat: If Mar 25th falls on Holy Friday or Holy Saturday (which at the moment is only possible for those on the Old Calendar), its commemoration is moved to Pascha, thus making the date itself devoid of the commemoration and making Mar 26th or 27th the feastday for that year.  If you happen to have her birthday and you're Old Calendar and Annunciation falls on one of those days, celebrate it on Pascha.

As for the Weekends question: because Saturday and Sunday are only semi-lenten (colors in the church are to be bright, "no kneeling" and whatnot, and one is not to do the strictest fast - no eating period - on Saturdays and Sundays except for Holy Saturday) the fast is lessened on those days: wine and oil are permitted, unless directed otherwise by your spiritual father.  Of course, this variance in the fasting routine allows one to make a more scrumptuous meal on weekends, which fits along with the idea that Sundays are still joyful days.

How do you keep track of all this stuff, Cleveland?

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
turtlemom

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

A cartoon of me with Emmy, my mobility service dog

turtlemom
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 04:50:03 PM »

There is always the 'Dump Cake' recipe:
lightly grease oblong pan
dump cake mix in and spread sort of evenly
cut up a stick of margarine and lay pieces out on the mix
use a can of your favorite fruit pie filling and spread on top of it all
Bake in oven at 350 until done - about 30 min or so. Grin

Love in Christ
turtlemom

With Love in Christ,
Dr. Elizabeth, the sinner
and Perennial Student
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 04:54:15 PM »

Turtlemom,

Welcome to the site! This first post of yours sounds tasty!

How do you keep track of all this stuff, Cleveland?

Are you kiddin'? Cleveland lives for this stuff!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 05:50:11 PM »

There is always the 'Dump Cake' recipe:
lightly grease oblong pan
dump cake mix in and spread sort of evenly
cut up a stick of margarine and lay pieces out on the mix
use a can of your favorite fruit pie filling and spread on top of it all
Bake in oven at 350 until done - about 30 min or so. Grin

Love in Christ
turtlemom

Works, too. My wife makes this, topped with Cool Whip (after baking).

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 12:09:18 PM »

And here I thought cool whip was just a midwestern phenomenon.  Grin
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 12:58:31 PM »

Hardly...you can find it in almost any grocery store out west.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 08:26:36 AM »

hehe, I know, I just meant as part of everyday cuisine...LOL! (thinking of all my grandma's recipies that involve cool whip)
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 09:34:22 AM »

Pittsburgh...Gateway to the West...in conastoga days.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags: fasting recipe cake Lent Food 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: