OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 05:51:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feasting Recipes  (Read 45245 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2007, 01:04:52 AM »

Here's an amazing Indonesian dish (West Sumatra to be exact) for all y'all who like Southeast Asian food!

Rendang Sapi (wrendong sahpee)

2 lbs top round beef
8 cups coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon tumeric powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon fennel (ground)
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder

Spice Paste
5 -8 shallots, peeled and sliced
10 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
2 inches ginger root, peeled and sliced (or you can use already gound stuff in a jar- but not the powder)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Prepare spice paste by grinding all ingredients finely.  I always use a pestle and mortar(sp?).
Cut the beef into 1/4-thick slices roughly 1 inch square.  Put the beef, ground spice past, and all other ingredients into a wok (or large enough pan) and slowly bring to a boil, stiring constantly to prevent the coconut milk from separating.  After mixture boils for a minute or so, reduce heat to medium-low and cover with a lid.  Check and stir from time to time.  When the meat is very tender and the sauce has almost completely evaporated, remove lid and bring temp back up to medium and fry the beef in the oil that's from the coconut milk until a rich reddish brown.  Depending how spicy y'all like it, add your favorite chili sauce.  I use the Indonesian sauce called Sambal Oelek that you can find in almost any Asian store.  If y'all wanna serve with rice, I recommend basmati- ain't nothin' like it!

Enjoy!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2007, 10:38:32 AM »

Hashbrown Casserole
10-12 servings

2  lbs frozen hash browns 
1/2  cup margarine, melted 
1 (10 1/4  ounce) can cream of chicken soup 
1  pint sour cream 
1/2  cup onions, peeled and chopped 
2  cups cheddar cheese, grated 
1  teaspoon salt 
1/4  teaspoon pepper 

Preheat oven to 350F and spray an 11 x 14 baking dish with cooking spray. Mix the above ingredients together, place in prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until brown on top. Note: if using a smaller pan, you may want to stir the casserole half way through cooking.

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2008, 02:24:07 AM »

Mah' mool (Syrian Pascha cookie)

You will need a mah' mool mold. I recommend this one from prosphora.org  http://www.prosphora.org/stamps.html

Maamoul Mold (from the website)

Maamoul are Middle Eastern festal cookies, usually associated with Pascha.  There are the flat-topped date maamoul (left), the oval pistachio maamoul (middle) and the domed walnut maamoul (right).  Each of these has a distinct Christian design, something you won't find on the modern wooden ones, which are often carved by moslems who prefer simple geometric patterns.  Unlike the wooden ones, this mold will not crack or absorb oils from the dough.  The names of each pattern is engraved on the side, so you need not worry about confusing them.

Ingredients for dough:
5 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 lb. unsalted butter
2 tsp. Brandy or whiskey
1 tsp. Mahleb or Mahlebi is the Greek name for it (purchase this ingredient in a middle eastern grocer and make sure you get it in powdered or ground fine form)

Ingredients for filling:
2 cups of walnuts (ground fine), 2 cups of pistachios (ground fine) or 1 lb. dates (pitted and chopped up in a Cuisinart)
1/4 cup sugar (only for walnut and pistachio fillings)
few drops of Orange Flower water

powdered sugar to be used after cookies are baked

Cream butter then add sugar, eggs, and brandy. Mix powdered Mahleb in with the flour. Then add flour mixture into wet
ingredients a little at a time.

Prepare filling as seen in ingredient list.

Roll a ball of dough in your hand and make a thumb print. Insert 1 teaspoon of filling in the well and close dough around filling. You might need to flour hands before you start. Roll the ball lightly in flour then press ball of dough into the mold.
Knock out cookie onto a cutting board.

Place cookies on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly brown on the bottom. Remove form pan and let cool.

When cookies are cool sift powdered sugar on top.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 03:04:55 AM by Tamara » Logged
dove

OC.net

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2008, 02:57:54 PM »

Miniature Scottish Eggs   

One can quail eggs, drained (available at the Asian market)
one tube pork sausage, defrosted if previously frozen
bread crumbs

The quail eggs come in a can, already boiled and peeled. They taste like regular hard boiled eggs, but are tiny. I thought it might be a way to make the least healthy recipe I know (besides syrnaya pascha) a little less dangerous. These make a really great breakfast for a fast-free day.

Here's how to make them.

Wrap each egg in sausage.
Roll  the sausage covered egg in bread crumbs.
Fry, turning fairly often to retain the egg shape, until sausage is cooked.

Good hot or cold.

You can make these with leftover paschal eggs after the fast.

Enjoy!

In Christ,
Matushka Ann Lardas

NULL
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2008, 08:29:40 PM »

^ Ooh, that sounds good!  And a great idea to use quail eggs... chicken eggs are just way too much for a traditional scotch egg.  Instant heart attack, that is.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2008, 04:13:20 PM »

Probably the best Pascal bread is the Italian Colomba Pasquale, meaning "Peace Dove".

For you in the Bay Area (i.e. Tamara), an Italian deli called A.G. Ferrari's carries this wonderful item.  There are locations throughout the Bay Area, including the South Bay (ahem...Tamara...) in Belmont, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale and Los Altos.  You can find them here.  Try other local Italian bakeries as well and some other grocery stores that have import/gourmet items.  While I have seen TJ's (Trader Joe's) carry Panettone, I have't seen them carry Colomba Pasquale which is a far superior bread.

Since Western Easter is so long before Pascha this year, I suggest getting many Pascha food items that are not highly perishable NOW!  This think is so loaded with sugar that it keeps a while (and is wrapped).  Enjoy!
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2008, 05:02:57 PM »

Thanks Elisha,

You are a pal! I just bought some candy today and I need to get some food coloring for eggs. But I will be sure to stop at AJ's to buy the bread. The Belmont store is a 5 minute drive.

Smiley Tamara

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2008, 05:33:45 PM »

No problem.  I told Fr. James to get one last year, but he forgot.  After all, I would think one of Italian descent, being a "Corazza" that he would be all over it.  He definitely was interested when I mentioned it.  There is also an Italian sweet cheesy spread.  Even though it is meant for Christmas and Panettone, I put made it for Pascha.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2008, 02:12:23 AM »

I picked up two (our choir director asked me to get one) from Emporio Rulli's - $26 Shocked Shocked Shocked!!!  It has all the ingredients imported from Italy and is made fresh in Larkspur - it had better be worth it.  I also bought a cioccolato one from A.G. Ferrari's  Grin.  I now am stocked with 3 at home.
Galina-Volga

Faith: Eastern Othodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Kosovo is the heart of Serbiya

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2008, 11:00:46 AM »

http://www.say7.info/cook/recipe/293-Zalivnyie-yayca.html

Would like to make those jello-eggs on Pascha.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2008, 02:19:17 PM »

Those eggs are awfully clever, Galina!

Does anyone have a good kulich recipe? In particular the "tsarskoe" one, if you know what I mean? Thanks!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2008, 08:21:45 AM »

No problem.  I told Fr. James to get one last year, but he forgot.  After all, I would think one of Italian descent, being a "Corazza" that he would be all over it.  He definitely was interested when I mentioned it.  There is also an Italian sweet cheesy spread.  Even though it is meant for Christmas and Panettone, I put made it for Pascha.

Elisha,

If you can get a panettone, it makes a great Pascha Bread similar in look and taste to Russian Kulich.  With a liitle white frosting and a cake decorator tube it works well as a subsitute that few can tell the difference---helpful if you are a working couple who do not have time to bake,single, or the only member of the church in your family. Simply make an Orthodox Russian style three  arm Cross with white icing and put the IC XB on the bread in icing. It adapts well.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2008, 11:05:13 AM »

Elisha,

If you can get a panettone, it makes a great Pascha Bread similar in look and taste to Russian Kulich.  With a liitle white frosting and a cake decorator tube it works well as a subsitute that few can tell the difference---helpful if you are a working couple who do not have time to bake,single, or the only member of the church in your family. Simply make an Orthodox Russian style three  arm Cross with white icing and put the IC XB on the bread in icing. It adapts well.

Thomas

Thomas,

Your reading comprehension skills seemed to have diminished.  Read the 5 prior posts.  I am well stocked with Colomba Pasquale, which is vastly superior to Panettone, kulich and the Greek Easter bread (well, all other Easter breads).
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2008, 12:50:49 PM »

Sorry, we don't have that here.  I am lucky to find Panettone---I usually have to breakdown and pay a baker to make Pascha type breads for me.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2008, 02:09:08 PM »

Thomas,

Your reading comprehension skills seemed to have diminished.  Read the 5 prior posts.  I am well stocked with Colomba Pasquale, which is vastly superior to Panettone, kulich and the Greek Easter bread (well, all other Easter breads).

Mmmmmmmmm, agreed!  The best are ones with chopped hazelnuts on top, instead of almonds though.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2008, 08:57:32 AM »

The last weekend of lent has snuck up on us already, and I will have to do my usual rush and hurry to bake kulich.  Kulich is just not something to quickly throw together.  Has anyone out there already finished their baking?  It's so much better when you do it early in Lent and just freeze them.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2008, 09:09:08 AM »

The last weekend of lent has snuck up on us already, and I will have to do my usual rush and hurry to bake kulich.  Kulich is just not something to quickly throw together.  Has anyone out there already finished their baking?  It's so much better when you do it early in Lent and just freeze them.

Not doing mine until Thursday.  I don't know how well some of mine would hold up in the freezer, though.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2008, 09:44:16 AM »

A guy that bakes is an admirable thing.  I've waited till Holy Thursday or Holy Friday and just been too stressed out.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2008, 09:51:42 AM »

A guy that bakes is an admirable thing.  I've waited till Holy Thursday or Holy Friday and just been too stressed out.

That'll be early for me this year.  That's what I normally do on Holy Saturday.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2008, 02:39:46 PM »

It's so much better when you do it early in Lent and just freeze them.

Wish I'd thought of that!

I'm making mahmool this year as well (thanks tamara!).
Baking starts tomorrow (Holy Wednesday here). Holy Thursday is always egg dying day. ("Kokkini Pempti" or "Red Thursday" as we call it in Greek).
Tsoureki is Holy Saturday's job.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2008, 04:31:14 PM »

I've got a question for any bakers out there.  I made a batch of Kulich on Saturday using bread flour instead of all-purpose.  I bake a lot of bread and the bread flour is the one to use.  However, I'm not sure it's ok for a sweet, eggy bread.  The first rise took 3 hours and the 2nd rise took 1 1/2 hours.  I've never had to rise it that long and I'm wondering if I'm courting a good case of food poisoning with the eggs at warm temps for that long.  I sampled a piece that broke off when I unmoulded one loaf since I thought I would rather get sick than making all my friends and family miserable.  No ill effects.  Are the loaves safe to use?  I was tempted to chuck all the dough but figured the 350 degree baking temp would kill the bad bugs. 

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2008, 05:04:25 PM »

Wish I'd thought of that!

I'm making mahmool this year as well (thanks tamara!).
Baking starts tomorrow (Holy Wednesday here). Holy Thursday is always egg dying day. ("Kokkini Pempti" or "Red Thursday" as we call it in Greek).
Tsoureki is Holy Saturday's job.

You are welcome George. I will be making the mahmool today...my friends at church asked me to make them for our church picnic because our bishop will be spending Pascha with our parish. If you have any questions just let me know. I should add, lightly sift powdered sugar on to cookie, othewise, the beautiful design will be obscured.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 06:11:50 PM by Tamara » Logged
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2008, 07:28:43 PM »

I've got a question for any bakers out there.  I made a batch of Kulich on Saturday using bread flour instead of all-purpose.  I bake a lot of bread and the bread flour is the one to use.  However, I'm not sure it's ok for a sweet, eggy bread.  The first rise took 3 hours and the 2nd rise took 1 1/2 hours.  I've never had to rise it that long and I'm wondering if I'm courting a good case of food poisoning with the eggs at warm temps for that long.  I sampled a piece that broke off when I unmoulded one loaf since I thought I would rather get sick than making all my friends and family miserable.  No ill effects.  Are the loaves safe to use?  I was tempted to chuck all the dough but figured the 350 degree baking temp would kill the bad bugs. 

Yay, I get to use my knowledge passed on from Alton Brown!  Bread flour has more protein in it than all-purpose does, hence the longer rise time.  As long as the inside of your dish reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit, that will kill any bacteria present in the eggs.  I'd just whip out the old candy thermometer and stick it into the middle of the Kulich to make sure the inner temperature is 160 or above.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2008, 08:05:06 PM »

I will be making the mahmool today...

Take a photo, and I'll take a photo of mine and we can post them here!
We might even start an OCnet "Feast and Fast" Recipe book!

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2008, 01:42:54 PM »

Yay, I get to use my knowledge passed on from Alton Brown!  Bread flour has more protein in it than all-purpose does, hence the longer rise time.  As long as the inside of your dish reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit, that will kill any bacteria present in the eggs.  I'd just whip out the old candy thermometer and stick it into the middle of the Kulich to make sure the inner temperature is 160 or above.

Thanks EofK.  I've learned a lot of good stuff from Alton Brown, though he does get to be a little annoying sometimes.  Something about people dressing up like food and rubbing themselves with cooking oil is a little weird. 

Since I didn't get sick from my sample, I think the loaves I've got are ok, but I'm going to make a new batch, add a little more yeast, and use a thermometer to check the internal temp.  I wonder if the extra eggs have something to do with it too, because my regular loaves don't take this long either (maybe 3 1/2 hours total).  Overall I think bread flour makes a better kulich with a finer texture. 

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2008, 01:45:08 PM »

Yeah, Alton's a little weird sometimes.  I get a kick out of the nerdy humour, though.  Your kulich sounds yum!

RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2008, 02:41:12 PM »

The super-easy way to make a carmel sauce for (baked) custard. I made this as a teen for the feasting, and heard a delighted "Oooh, Flan!"

Butter baking dish. Press about 1/2 inch of dark brown sugar in the bottom. Prepare the basic Baked Custard recipe (heavy on the eggs) out of "JOY of COOKING". Pour over the brown sugar and bake as normal. 

Invert on a largish plate as this will want to flatten a bit, but it has a perfect carmel sauce.  really looks like the flan in pictures, but is really easy.

I'll type in the recipe if anyone wants it, but I kinda figure this is a common cook-book.

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2008, 04:41:49 PM »

Your kulich sounds yum!

Well, since we're internet pals I'll share my super secret, old family recipe for kulich.  It's the Kulich recipe from the late 70's Better Homes & Gardens Heritage Cookbook with the histories and food traditions of early America through the immigrant era (with several ethnic groups, including Russians, each getting a chapter w/ recipes), and into the modern era.  The modern food stuff doesn't get much fancier than jello salads, chicken a'la king and quiche.

I've used the kulich recipe for 15 years now with just a couple of changes (I add lemon zest and don't add candied fruits except golden raisins).  I've also made the uncooked Paskha recipe every year and serve that with my other Paskha recipe that uses yellow and white cheddar cheese.  My mouth is watering right now just thinking about huge hunks of Paskha spread on slices of Kulich.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2008, 04:58:20 PM »

Ooh, sounds yummy.  I'll have to give it a try!

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2008, 01:22:47 AM »

Take a photo, and I'll take a photo of mine and we can post them here!
We might even start an OCnet "Feast and Fast" Recipe book!

I will try to do this...I have to make a second batch of cookies tomorrow for my sister and brother-in-law's Greek Lamb roast on Sunday. My younger son has offered to help his techno-clueless mom.  Cheesy
Galina-Volga

« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2008, 06:35:36 AM »

Greek lamb sound excellent!  Kiss  Kiss  Kiss We are going to have it on Paschal trapeza (dinner) in our church.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2008, 09:14:10 AM »

Greek lamb sound excellent!  Kiss  Kiss  Kiss We are going to have it on Paschal trapeza (dinner) in our church.

It is delicious. My brother-in-law buys a whole lamb and roasts it on a homemade spit in his backyard. They invite family, neighbors and friends from church. Most of the folks are either of Greek, Armenian or middle eastern ancestry so the food everyone brings is mostly from that region. Last year I brought a Russian Cheese Paska and no one had ever seen one before. They loved it! They spread the cheese dessert on my sister's homemade Greek Easter bread. It was so yummy. But this year, the khouria is making a cheese paska for the event. We also all bring red Easter eggs so we can have a giant egg fight. But fortunately for us, this year we will have a priest with us to bless all of the eggs. This yearly event has been a great way to introduce non-Orthodox neighbors and friends to Orthodoxy.
RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2008, 09:46:06 AM »

1. How do you substitute for Baker's cheese in the assorted Pascha recipes? That sort of cheese is simply not availble around here.

2. I didn't see the recipe for the Pascha that uses White Chedder. Could someone post it?

Thanks

One more...

What would you make if you had more eggs than you could imagine? (my hens are giving 8 eggs a day!)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 10:02:27 AM by RLNM » Logged

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2008, 02:09:37 PM »

1. How do you substitute for Baker's cheese in the assorted Pascha recipes? That sort of cheese is simply not availble around here.

2. I didn't see the recipe for the Pascha that uses White Chedder. Could someone post it?

One more...
What would you make if you had more eggs than you could imagine? (my hens are giving 8 eggs a day!)

1.   Baker's cheese?  I've seen it called Farmer's cheese, but I suspect it's the same thing.  I always substitute large curd cottage cheese and it tastes perfectly fine.  The easiest thing to do is to put the cottage cheese in a fine mesh colander and rinse it well with cold water and drain it well.  Then I take a fine mesh strainer (or I've even used the mesh grease spatter guards you put over pans) and press the cottage cheese through the strainer.  It comes out very finely sieved and ready to mix.  Another tip, never mix your paskha with an electric mixer.  The heat from the appliance isn't good for the ingredients.  Just mix by hand.

2.    The Paskha with white cheddar cheese was a recipe that was given to me by a former matushka of our parish.  The recipe was originally given to her by a parishioner somewhere up north.  It is very unusual but delicious.  Here it is, and if you like it, just remember one of the nicest matuschki ever. 

MATUSCHKA SUSAN'S CHEESE PASKHA

1 ½ lb. large curd cottage cheese, rinsed and drained
(or substitute 1 lb. cottage cheese and ½ lb. cream cheese)
1 lb. mild white cheddar cheese, finely grated by hand (you can also do half-and-half white cheddar and mild yellow cheddar - pre shredded cheese is easy to use)
1 lb. unsalted butter, softened
5 hard boiled egg yolks
2 ½ cups sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 lb. finely ground almonds
4 feet fine cheesecloth, washed & hung to dry

Rub the drained cottage cheese (and cream cheese if used) and egg yolks through a very fine mesh sieve.  Thorougly mix all ingredients by hand (do not use a mixer or blender, too hot and will melt the ingredients slightly).   Line a wooden or plastic pascha mold or a new plastic flowerpot with a double layer of  cheesecloth (one layer in one direction and one layer in the other).  Press the cheese mixture into the mold, and drape the tail ends of the cheesecloth over the top of the cheese.  Put a saucer on top of the cheesecloth and a heavy can of soup or something like that.  Place a dish under the mold to catch the drips.  Pour off any collected liquid several times (although this is a pretty dry paskha mixture and has little excess liquid). Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours before unmolding.  Decorate with candies, dried fruit or nuts as desired.

3.   For all the extra Pascha eggs, I make a baked egg dish.  It's hard boiled egg halves filled with a mix of the boiled yolks, mushrooms, onions, parsley, thyme, tomato paste and paprika all sauteed in a ton of butter.  You pour a thyme flavored bechamel sauce over the top and put about a pound of cheddar cheese on top.  A real heart clogger this recipe.  Space is running out so PM me if you'd like the recipe.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 02:10:22 PM by TinaG » Logged

RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2008, 02:24:09 PM »

I think I see myself doing a bit of cooking in the next few days! Grin

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2008, 02:55:34 PM »

What we (my parish) are doing (from the bulletin):

MEAT: There will be a lamb on the spit and a Hawaiian style pig roasted in a pit. If you prefer another meat, bring it with you and we will have the BBQ lit and ready to grill. There will be people who will do the cooking for you, or do-it-yourself if you want (but they are all very good grill masters.) We will provide condiments for hamburgers and hot dogs.

SIDE DISH, APPETIZERS: While the BBQ is warming up, we like to start the feast with drinks and appetizers. (Last year, we finally had enough deviled eggs! Way to go!) This year, I hope will have enough again. (HINT HINT) (Check with me, I may have some pre-boiled eggs to offer.)
I would like to get an idea of what people are bringing, so feel free to catch me at one of the many services or e-mail me at (removed) as to what you will be sharing. We like chips and dip, (maybe even Nacho Cheese Doritos,) cheese and crackers, finger foods, green salads, pasta salads, potato salads, warm side dishes... what ever fits the feast!

DRINKS: I will make strawberry lemonade, but we need beer, sodas, beer, wine, more beer, and more wine. Did I mention beer? (We need to keep those grillers happy!) Do you want me to make Sangria again? I will if people request it.

DESSERT: There will be Pascha Cheese, ice cream, and candy, but feel free to bring more sweet stuff! (Pie goes nicely with ice cream...)

ACTIVITIES: Be apart of all of them or none of them. The kids will hunt for Pascha eggs, and we may have a few relay-type races involving eggs, and potato sacks. Perhaps a tug-o-war may happen or an Ultimate Frisbee game. If there is interest, we can set up the Volleyball net. There is a cleaned up horseshoe pit, too. We can also just sit around (because we are too stuffed to move) and hang out with each other. (You may want to bring a comfortable camp or beach chair that has a back on it. )
Who knows what more activities there will be!
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2008, 05:27:35 PM »

Dear Moderators,

I tried to post photos of my cookies but it didn't work so please delete when you have time.

thank you, Tamara
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 07:25:43 PM by Tamara » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2008, 12:57:43 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Tamara,
The Mahmoul were absolutely delicious! They've all gone! They are going to be an annual event henceforth.
Here are some snapshots.

I used the semolina recipe which I made the night before and added the flower waters the next day:

Here they are, ready for the oven:

The first batch after baking, cooling & dusting with icing sugar:

And here is my Paschal table all ready for our return from the Liturgy.
Tsoureki is in the middle front, dyed eggs in the middle back, and Mahmoul on the sides.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2008, 01:58:27 PM »

Unfortunately, it's starting to rain here in southern Missouri but as far as I know the BBQ is still on.  Here's my potato salad:

Potato Salad
6 medium to large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 large red onion, diced
3 hard-boiled eggs, diced
1 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp yellow mustard
2 Tbsp dried dill seasoning
pinch of salt

Boil potatoes until they are soft enough to cut with a fork but still firm.  (You don't want these disintegrating when you mix in everything else or you'll have mashed potato salad.)  Combine onion, egg, mayo, mustard, dill, and salt in a large bowl.  Drain potatoes and gently rinse with cold water.  Make sure all the water is drained out, then gently fold into the bowl with onion mixture.  Can be served immediately or chilled in the refrigerator for 1 hour.  (I prefer chilled.)  Should keep refrigerated for 3-4 days.

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2008, 09:08:53 PM »

Xristos Anesti!

Hi George,

Here are my mahmool. I made ninety of them last week and they are all gone! If you liked the farina version you should
also try the flour version too. The cookies are very tender.

Galina-Volga

« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2008, 01:10:54 PM »

To Tamara and OzGeorge.

Guys, recepy please!  Wink I will wait.
Galina-Volga

« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2008, 01:12:17 PM »

Another question. Where can I find the cookie shape like yours?
Galina-Volga

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2008, 01:14:24 PM »

I apologize! The recepy is above.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 01:14:58 PM by Galina-Volga » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2008, 01:24:38 PM »

Xristos Anesti!

Hi George,

Here are my mahmool. I made ninety of them last week and they are all gone! If you liked the farina version you should

Tamara, those are very pretty.  I hope they were tasty too.  How was your Colomba Pasquale?
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2008, 03:06:46 PM »

I apologize! The recepy is above.
I'm glad you found it! This is the recipe I used.

Another question. Where can I find the cookie shape like yours?
I got mine from the website where the recipe came from. He makes the cookie molds out of resin when you order them, so it can take to 4-8 weeks before you receive it, so don't leave it to the last minute!

Xristos Anesti!

Hi George,

Are these the semolina recipe or the flour recipe?

Tags: Feast recipe Food 
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: