OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 01:23:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feasting Recipes  (Read 44797 times) Average Rating: 0
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« on: February 27, 2007, 12:00:23 PM »

Unfortunately I don't have any recipes at my office, otherwise I'd be including one here, but...

otherwise feel free to provide your favorite non-fasting recipe in this thread!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 03:35:38 PM »

Did you all want to stipulate ethnic type recipies or just whatever floats your gravy boat? *mmmm...gravy....*

I just plain like food, so I say whatever you like.   Grin

Just for clarification, since I was so unclear....

Give us your favorite recipes, and don't worry about ethnicity! If you like it, odds are somebody else will, and happy tastebuds know no boundaries!

+Fr Chris
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 03:40:28 PM by FrChris » Logged
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 03:44:53 PM »

OK, for all you seminary and college students, or those with little funding and lots of mouths to feed:

Bachelor Dinner

You need:
hamburger (whatever you need to feed however many people you have)
Beef ramen (NOT roast beef flavor unless you like it.  I just use plain beef flavor), about 1 pack per person unless you want to pig out on noodles, then get more.
toppings....shredded cheese, salsa, hot sauce, whatever you want to use.

I usually (for 3 adult size and 4 smaller beings) use 2 lbs of hamburger and 7 to 8 packs of ramen

Prep:

Pot of water on to cook noodles...bring to boil
Meanwhile brown the hamburger, drain fat off.  Add 1 pack of the beef ramen flavor per pound of meat.  Save rest of the flavor packs for later...you will see. Add a bit of water and let simmer.
Cook your ramen, drain
Put cooked meat on top, the sprinkle with beef flavor to taste.  Or you can sprinkle the noodles first, then add the meat.  this is really all up to you. Top with whatever. eat.  I said eat!

Costs next to nothing, everyone likes it! We eat it a lot.  In fact I'm hungry now.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 07:08:04 PM »

For those who like it hot, here's the recipe for my famous Habanero Chili:

You need:

1 to 2 lbs. ground beef
2 16 oz.cans black beans
2 16 oz. cans pinto beans
2 16 oz. cans chili beans
1 32 oz. can stewed tomatoes
1 large onion
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
5 jalapeno peppers
5 serrano peppers
2 dried New Mexico peppers
3 habanero peppers
Any other peppers you come across and feel like trying
Garlic powder
Irish whiskey

Brown the meat, drain, and combine in a large pot with the beans and tomatoes.  Chop the bell peppers into large pieces and add.  Dice the onion, add.  Slice the spicy peppers, except the habaneros; dice the habaneros very finely.  Add all the peppers and garlic powder.  Add a generous splash of Jameson.  Bring the pot to a low boil, then reduce heat, stirring occasionally.  Cook for at least four to five hours.

The peppers vary most times that I cook this, depending on what's available in the grocery store.  The one down the street from my place has a really good variety, so it changes depending on what I feel like throwing in.  Dried peppers are okay, but fresh are better.  Add more of the seeds from slicing the peppers if you want it spicier.  Without the meat, it's great for Lent.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 01:04:41 PM »

My 14 year old son (whom some here know as The Evil Genius) has let me know that what he is craving more than anything else this fast is his newly discovered Favorite Sandwich. When he divulged his recipe for it to me, I was just flabbergasted:

Twinkie and Slim Jim Sandwich

You need:

1 Twinkie (for the sandwich's usual open-faced arrangement)
3-5 Slim Jims (the jerky-like "meat" product)

Turn Twinkie upside down so the flat side (where the cream filling in inserted) is facing up. Split Slim Jims lengthwise, and if possible squeeze any juice out to be absorbed by the doughy mass of the Twinkie.

Add mustard, hot sauce, and paprika to taste.

Immediately prior to eating, squish the Twinkie dough so that the cream is almost ready to leak out. Bite into the sandwich and enjoy (if such a thing is actually possible by a human being).

For extra indulgence (like say, coming home from Pascha services) you can use 2 Twinkies. However, this means that the sandwich would have to be turned sideways to fit into most human mouths, even after the 'squishing' process.

My son Nick came up with this sandwich after he read something that indicated Twinkies and Slim Jims are the foods most likely to survive a nuclear disaster. He figured he should try to prepare for the upcoming nuclear/biological/chemical apocalypse now, rather than wait!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 01:07:21 PM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 02:53:55 PM »

My 14 year old son (whom some here know as The Evil Genius) has let me know that what he is craving more than anything else this fast is his newly discovered Favorite Sandwich. When he divulged his recipe for it to me, I was just flabbergasted:

Twinkie and Slim Jim Sandwich

Oooh gag.  The only drink that I think would be appropriate to wash this down with would be a big, cold Mountain Dew.   I can't figure it.  Kids won't touch strange vegetables but will gladly eat anything with the gross factor in it.  Has anyone actually seen your son eat this concoction? That's gotta be worth a picture in the family photo album.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 10:34:56 AM »

Here is a favorite recipe in our family given to us by our God parents when we first came into the Orthodox Church .  They brought us this as a casserole to eat for bright week. Its like a Greek Lasagna only better/  It makes a wonderful presentation when served.

Pastitsio – Greek Meat and Macaroni Pie

INGREDIENTS
1 lb thick macaroni or Ziti style pasta
1 lb ground meat (beef,lamb , or pork wall work nicely)
3 eggs
¼ cup grated kefalo or Parmesan cheese
¼ cup olive oil / butter
1 medium sized onion
1 large/ 1lb can of diced tomatoes or tomato paste
1 portion béchamel sauce (Your favorite recipe)
salt
pepper

DIRECTIONS:
1.Partially cook the macaroni in salted water and drain well.
2.Put in a baking dish and pour half of the butter/olive oil over the macaroni.
3. Beat the egg whites and mix in the macaroni. Keep the yolks. They will be used to make the bechamel sauce. Sprinkle with half of the cheese.
4. With the remaining butter /olive oil brown the minced meat and the onion.
5. ATo the browned meat add the diced tomatoes or the tomato paste, salt, pepper and simmer until liquid is absorbed.
 6.Remove from the heat and add the remaining grated cheese. Stir all well.
7. Prepare the béchamel sauce..[If you don't have a recipe, you may find it in most beginners basic cook book Fannie Farmer;s, Good Housekeeping , Betty Crocker, etc]
8.Butter a baking dish. Lay half of the macaroni in the pan. Spread evenly with the meat mixture. Lay the rest of the macaroni on top. 9.Pour the bechamel sauce over them and sprinkle with grated cheese and some melted butter.
10.Bake in a moderate oven (375F) until bechamel gets brown (40 - 45 minutes).

« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 10:35:35 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 10:39:25 AM »

Here is another "Ethnic" dish that a Lbanese friend gave me several Pascha's ago. It is really good and lot easier to make than it looks.

Kibbe Saniyeh (in pan):

Ingredients:

Bulgar Mixture:
 1 1/4 lb. ground beef
 1 1/4 cup #2 bulghur
1 onion (grated)
1 tsp.
salt
black pepper
cinnamon
 paprika

Directions for Bulgar Mixture:
1. Wash and drain bulghur, let sit for 35 minutes.
2. Mix above ingredients together.
3. Work with hands and rub together until bulghur is soft. Set aside.

Kibbe Filling Mixture:
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion (chopped)
salt and pepper
cinnamon
paprika
clarified butter

Directions for Kibbe Filling mixture:
1) Brown pine nuts in clarified butter. Remove pine nuts.
2) Brown ground beef, add onion and spices. Sauté until onion is soft and beef is cooked

To assemble full dish:
1) Grease edged pan with 2 tbs. oil.
2) Spread 1/2 bulghur mixture in bottom.
3) Add Kibbe filling mixture, spread evenly.
4) Cover with remaining bulghur mixture. Cut through in blocks. Edge along sides.
5)Bake 35 - 40 minutes @ 375.
6)Brush with melted butter when taken from oven.

This is nice with a yogurt-cucumber sauce.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 10:47:39 AM »

Here is a recipe for the Red dyed Pascha Eggs that helped my family greatly when we tried our hands at dyeing "Orthodox Easter Eggs" for our first Pascha 18 years ago.

Red Pascha Eggs
You may want to ask why Red Eggs? Why the Coloring of the pascha eggs"?
 There are several traditions surrounding this coloring of the Pascha Eggs.
1) The red eggs symbolize the resurrection Jesus Christ, red for his blood and egg for life.                                             
2) Another, that shortly after the resurrection, Mary Magdalene traveled to Rome and presented the Emperor with a red egg while exclaiming "Christ is risen"
3) A Pious tradition is that the cracking of eggs symbolizes the shattering of Hades by the victorious Christ.

Ingredients:
•   Uncooked eggs
•   Water
•   3/4 cup Vinegar
•   Red food dye or coloring (Greek Powder Red Food Dye is best but you can also use  lots of American Red Food Coloring and still achieve a nice color by following the instructions below- the secret is to boil the dye into the eggs rather than dunking the eggs as we do in the US)
•   Vegetable oil
•   A few cotton balls

Directions:
1)Carefully wash and dry each egg brought to room temperature [this is an important step, cold eggs have a greater tendency to crack during the cooking process.]
2)Set a large pot of water to boil. Add a red dye or food coloring (water should look beet red]and 3/4 cup of vinegar to the water, and boil for a few minutes.
3)Slowly lower the eggs into the pot, and when the water comes to a boil, lower the heat.
4) Let eggs simmer for 15 min., then remove them carefully from the pot.
5)If you plan to cook more eggs, add an additional 2 tbs. vinegar to the water. And follow the same process.
6) Wipe cooked eggs with an oil-soaked cotton ball, then wipe each egg with a clean dry  cloth leaving a nice shine to the egg.     

Thomas                                                                                                                         

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 03:36:12 PM »

Here is a recipe for the Red dyed Pascha Eggs that helped my family greatly when we tried our hands at dyeing "Orthodox Easter Eggs" for our first Pascha 18 years ago.

Red Pascha Eggs

I do have a suggestion that I've gotten from several older ladies when I saw how deep blood red their Pascha eggs were compared to the pinkish-red (easter-eggish)color of mine, no matter how much red food color I used:   The secret is to us brown eggs, not white.  Once dyed and rubbed with a couple of drops of vegetable oil, they look beautiful.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 12:43:26 AM »

Greek Molded Honey Cheesecake

The antecedent of this Greek dish, introduced into Russia during the days of the Byzantine Empire, was translated into Pashka, a molded cheese embellished with candied furits still being served in Russian homes at Easter. Neither of these dishes, despite their names, are cheesecakes in the current sense of the word.

Yield: 12 servings

1 1/2 pounds Ricotta Cheese
2 Tablespoons Honey
1 Tablespoon sweet wine or Cream Sherry
1/4 cup Grated almonds (see note)

Combine the cheese, honey and wine, beating until well blended. Butter a 1-quart decorative
mold and dust with some of the grated almonds. Add the rest of the almonds to the cheese mixture,
blending thoroughly. Press the cheese into the mold firmly and evenly. Run a spatual across the cheese
to smooth the surface. Cover and chill for 24 hours. To serve, dip the mold into hot water for a few seconds,
then invert on a serving plate. Surround with fresh strawberries, peaches, or apricots. Cut into wedges and serve
with a portion of fruit.

Note: chop almonds, place in work bowl of a food processor, and process until a fine dry, meal is formed (1 to 2 minutes).

Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 03:49:36 PM »

Grin
This looks good and  really simple by comparison to some of the Paschka recipes I have seen. I think I'll try it this year Wink

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 04:02:25 PM »

Hi Thomas,

It is very simply. It is not real sweet...I prefer it that way. We served it with baked pears that honey drizzled on top before baking. It was perfect combination.

This year I am going to give Paschka a whirl. I just purchased 5 lbs. of baker's Cheese (Russian style) and I borrowed my friend's Paschka mold. We are going to serve it with homemade Greek Easter bread at my brother-in-law's lamb roast on Sunday. Smiley
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 04:44:59 PM »

The most interesting Paskha recipe that I've seen is one I got from a former priest's wife, who in turn got it from a parishioner somewhere up North.  It uses the normal uncooked paskha ingredients, but adds mild white cheddar,  colby or monterrey jack cheese or a combination of each.  It's drier and more firm and just the greatest thing since (or on) sliced bread.  I actually make this version before any others.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 04:50:37 PM »

Hi Thomas,

It is very simply. It is not real sweet...I prefer it that way. We served it with baked pears that honey drizzled on top before baking. It was perfect combination.

This year I am going to give Paschka a whirl. I just purchased 5 lbs. of baker's Cheese (Russian style) and I borrowed my friend's Paschka mold. We are going to serve it with homemade Greek Easter bread at my brother-in-law's lamb roast on Sunday. Smiley

Excellent.

Our former choir director made me a tiny paschka and Greek Easter bread a few years ago.  I figured out later that the bread was NOT kulich.  Greek Easter Bread > kulich.

I bought a Columba Pasquale I'm going to bring some of it to our picnic along with giving the below recipe a whirl (even if it is meant for X-mastime and Pannettone/Pandoro).  I can compare it to the multiple Paschas I will be snagging from various people for comparison.

http://www.cookingwithpatty.com/recipes/desserts/MascarponeCream.php

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 04:52:26 PM »

The most interesting Paskha recipe that I've seen is one I got from a former priest's wife, who in turn got it from a parishioner somewhere up North.  It uses the normal uncooked paskha ingredients, but adds mild white cheddar,  colby or monterrey jack cheese or a combination of each.  It's drier and more firm and just the greatest thing since (or on) sliced bread.  I actually make this version before any others.

Sounds strange, but I haven't tried it to make that judgement.

I think we need a poll on whether or not firmer or creamier is better.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 05:13:45 PM »

Elisha,

I don't know what the difference is between Kulich and Greek Easter bread. Maybe I will try to make the Kulich next year. One thing at a time  Wink plus, I have to make the prosphora this year for the Pascha midnight Liturgy and my dad wants me to make wara anab (lamb dolma) too!

Here is the Pascha Cheese Recipe I will be using. This recipe is from a Carpatho-Russian American choir director at an OCA parish down here in the south bay.

Pascha Cheese

5lbs. Baker's Cheese
1 1/2 pints heavy cream (whipped)
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 2/3 lbs. butter, softened
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla (she also adds one vanilla bean)

Cream butter and sugar thoroughtly. Add cheese and then blend well. Add vanilla. If using vanilla bean, scrape out center of bean and add to mixture. Fold in whipped cream.

Line Pascha mold with several layers of moistened cheesecloth, allowing some cloth to drape over edges. Fill mold with cheese mixture. Fold cloth over cheese mixture. Place lid or dish on top and set a can of fruit or other "weight" on top to slowly press out excess moisture and mold the Pascha. Place the Pascha container onto a deep dish to collect the fluid and store in fridge overnight. Unmold onto a serving platter. The Pascha may be stored in fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for longer storage.

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 05:16:11 PM »

Wow! I have collected some varied Pascha recipes but none of them have those cheeses in the recipe. Is finshed product sweet?
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 05:46:07 PM »

Wow! I have collected some varied Pascha recipes but none of them have those cheeses in the recipe. Is finshed product sweet?

Well, it is once you've added a pound of confectioner's sugar!!  It's totally addictive.  The cheese gives it a pretty pale yellow color.  It really puts back all the weight I loose for Great Lent.   I'll post the recipe tonight when I get home from Bridegroom services.  My kulich recipe and a sour cream based Paskha recipe I got years ago from an old Time Life cookbook called American Heritage cookbook or something like that.  It has chapters on American food history, the major ethnic groups in America, their immigration stories, and a selection of recipes. 

Actually this year I've gotten so busy with work, my kid's baseball practices and my kung fu, I may cheat and buy some brioche or challah to substitute for kulich.  I know that sounds horrible, but I am not going to kill myself.  I get so stressed out at the last minute and just run out of time.   My mistake was not starting my baking 4 weeks ago and freezing the kulich and finikia.  Good thing about Pascha though, it will come again next year and I'll be better prepared.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 06:31:32 PM »

Elisha,

I don't know what the difference is between Kulich and Greek Easter bread. Maybe I will try to make the Kulich next year. One thing at a time  Wink plus, I have to make the prosphora this year for the Pascha midnight Liturgy and my dad wants me to make wara anab (lamb dolma) too!

Greek Easter Bread is braided, soft, moist and slightly sweet, while kulic is made to be more like a tower and is a lot drier.
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 08:06:08 PM »

Tamara (and anyone else who can offer the following information),

So, I am relatively new to Orthodoxy as well as the ethnic traditions (cooking and otherwise) that often go with it, this year being my second Pascha as a member of the Church. The Greek Molded Honey Cheesecake actually sounds like something I have the capability to make, and there is a party on Bright Week that a family in my parish is having at their home and I would love to be able to bring something with me when I go. My question, though, is this: my parish is very Slavic, and I hear the women talking about Paskha bread all the time, and I know there will be several kinds at the party. If I make this recipe, what do I go in calling it? Is it in fact Paskha, or shall I just say it's Greek Molded Honey Cheesecake? I know this sounds like an obvious question, but I don't want to embarrass myself by bringing something about which I know next to nothing, in terms of the traditional significance. Can you tell me a little more about it?

Anybody who knows about Paskha bread, as well as the various Greek versions of the same, and specifically what the posted recipe for Greek Molded Honey Cheesecake would fall under, can chime in. Smiley

Thanks in advance!

Donna

hmmmm...
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 09:29:42 PM »

Tamara (and anyone else who can offer the following information),

So, I am relatively new to Orthodoxy as well as the ethnic traditions (cooking and otherwise) that often go with it, this year being my second Pascha as a member of the Church. The Greek Molded Honey Cheesecake actually sounds like something I have the capability to make, and there is a party on Bright Week that a family in my parish is having at their home and I would love to be able to bring something with me when I go. My question, though, is this: my parish is very Slavic, and I hear the women talking about Paskha bread all the time, and I know there will be several kinds at the party. If I make this recipe, what do I go in calling it? Is it in fact Paskha, or shall I just say it's Greek Molded Honey Cheesecake? I know this sounds like an obvious question, but I don't want to embarrass myself by bringing something about which I know next to nothing, in terms of the traditional significance. Can you tell me a little more about it?

Anybody who knows about Paskha bread, as well as the various Greek versions of the same, and specifically what the posted recipe for Greek Molded Honey Cheesecake would fall under, can chime in. Smiley

Thanks in advance!

Donna

I would just call it a Greek Molded Honey Cheesecake not a Greek version of Pascha. Because if there are many Slavic folks in your church I don't know if you want to tell them Russian Pascha is an evolution of this Greek dessert. They might think you are under the spell of another Mr. Portakalos who believes everything of value in the world is derived from the Greeks!  Cheesy Also, this dessert will not look like a Russian Cheese Pascha.
My sister's father-in-law is Greek and he loves to go on and tell our boys about how the Greeks are the source of everything! He once told them a story about how Christopher Columbus is in fact a Byzantine Greek prince from Chios named Christophoros Columbus. LOL!!!

Anyway, here is a picture of Greek Easter Bread. It is as Elisha described it. Moist, slightly sweet, braided bread with red eggs
placed around it.

This is a picture of Kulich. I can't remember what it tastes like but I think I ate many years ago. Elisha said it is much drier than the Greek bread.
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 09:38:43 PM »

Wonderful, thanks for the explanation! What you described was exactly what I was worried about -- I don't want to call it a Greek version of Paskha and then have to explain where that idea came from! I'll just say it's a Greek recipe and leave it at that -- assuming I can find the time on Pascha Sunday to prepare it so it can set in the fridge for 24 hours before the party! Smiley

Donna

hmmmm...
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 10:03:12 AM »

Too busy to make pascha Breads?  Take one loaf of  Kings Hawaian Bread, make a hollow the size of one egg place a dyed red egg in the hollow.  This will make a sweet pascha bread that has the red egg that you will not be embarrased about and tastes very good. It looks good and tastes mildly sweet like Greek Tsoureki Bread.We have also used this bread decorated with a little frosting in place of  Vasilopita at New Years when my wife and I have been really busy. Single Guys wanting to take something to the Feast or for the Agape picnic this works great. Again this is a substitute if you are too busy to bake or unable to bake.  It will never fully take the pace of traditional Greek or Russian Pascha breads,

1 egg represents the one triune God, two eggs christ as God-Man and three eggs in the loaf represent the Persons of the Holy trinity.

Thomas
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 10:43:21 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 12:05:37 PM »

Just as a follow-up for that Russian Cheese Pascha recipe posted....

It is delicious...everyone loved it. But it makes two big paschas....not one! I took one to my brother-in-law's house
and luckily there were 60 people there wasn't much left. Yesterday I cut up the other one and made two smaller
paschas. I then carefully wrapped them up and put them in the freezer. I will take them to coffee hour over the next
few weeks and share them with my friends at church.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 03:06:46 AM »

Grape leaves (Wara anab) Syrian recipe

Fresh grape leaves (100 approximately)
or two 24 oz. glass jars of grape leaves

3 lbs of lamb de-boned (ask the butcher to package small lamb bones, you will need them)
salt and pepper to taste
juice of two lemons
2 1/2 cups of rice

If using fresh leaves soak in hot water for 15 minutes to soften. Remove from water and spin in a salad spinner. If using canned leaves rinse in fresh water to remove excess salt. Then spin carefully in a salad spinner.

Stuffing: After cutting off excess fat grind the lamb. Add the rice and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.

In a large pot place the small cut-up lamb bones. I then place a vegetable steamer on top of bones. To begin stuffing grape leaves, cut off long stems. Place one tablespoon of stuffing across each leaf in a long thin line. Fold end of leaf over meat, then fold edges of the leaf toward the inside. Roll the leaf to the end fairly tightly. Arrange rolled leaves on top of the vegetable steamer. When you are done rolling leaves, press stuffed leaves down with an inverted plate to keep the leaves in place so they will not unroll while cooking. Add water till it reaches the plate. Add the juice of the lemons to the water. Cover pot and bring to boil. Then reduce heat to a simmer and let cook for 45 minutes.
After 45 minutes taste one to make sure the rice is cooked all the way through. When grape leaves are done cooking I remove and place grape leaves in corning ware dishes. I then reserve enough of the juice from the pot in a separate glass container. If you have leftover grape leaves you can add this juice to them when warming them up.  Otherwise, they will taste dry.
monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007, 01:02:02 PM »

CHRIST IS RISEN!

If you are interested in a simple recipe for Pascha Cheese...actually I'd call it a lazy man's recipe.  I got it from a priest, who in turn got it from a Bishop.  It doesn't beat the real recipe, but in a pinch its darn close.

But for some reason, as I try to cut and paste it here, most of the recipe doesn't show.  I'll try to post it separately.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 01:08:20 PM by monkvasyl » Logged

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 01:08:56 PM »

This is a picture of Kulich. I can't remember what it tastes like but I think I ate many years ago. Elisha said it is much drier than the Greek bread.

Definitely.  The Colomba Pasquale I bought at the Italian deli (Pascal Dove - Italian Easter Bread) is vastly superior to kulich.  I have a small kulich in my freezer anyway to eat up with some Crema di Mascarpone to put on it.  Yum.
monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 01:10:11 PM »

CHRIST IS RISEN!

I hope it goes throught, this time...

SYRNA PASCHA

Boil 12 eggs, Sieve yolks (no whites needed)
Cream butter, 8oz (unsalted), Add softened Philly Cream cheese, 8oz
Add Ricotta (whole milk) cheese, 1 1/2 cups
Add yolks, Add 1/2 cup of sugar, and 1/2 to 3/4 tsp of vanilla (to taste)
Mix as you add each ingredient and finally place in a bowl, with holes, in the bottom, lined with cheese cloth.
Place a heavy weigh on top to help it drain.  Place in fridge for a  couple of days.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 01:16:27 PM by monkvasyl » Logged

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2007, 08:34:11 PM »

I've heard of that.  Would you please share your recipe?

CHILI HOT CHOCOLATE

2 cups milk (soy milk gives a nice malted flavour)
1/2 a split vanilla bean
1 red chili, split and seeds removed
1 cinnamon stick
50g (about 1.5oz) grated dark chocolate

Warm the milk, vanilla bean, chili and cinnamon over a low heat without boiling. Add grated chocolate and stir until melted. Strain into mugs. Serves 2.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2007, 06:14:59 AM »

Russians also have a wonderful non-alcoholic summer beverage called "kvas." It is made of bread, it has a rich dark brown color, it is served ice-cold, and it tastes divine! (A disclaimer: I am a Ukrainian - which is different from Russian, - and I am NOT a brown-noser regarding things Russian, but this one, uhhhhhhh.... Smiley Smiley Smiley

KVAS

500g (about 1 pound) stale black bread or stale pumpernickel bread
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon sugar (extra)
2 tablespoons raisins
2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves or 1 tablespoon dried mint leaves
2 tablespoons dry yeast
6 litres (a little less than 6 quarts) water
1/2 cup luke warm water extra

Preheat oven to 95 degrees Celcius (200 degrees Fahrenheit)  Cube the bread and then spread on a cookie sheet and place in oven for 1 hour.
Boil 6 litres of water and drop in the bread.
Remove from heat, cover with a towel, and allow to sit at room temperature for 8
hours.
Strain through cheesecloth or a fine sieve and press the juice from the bread.
Sprinkle the yeast and a teaspoon of sugar in 1/2 cup of lukewarm water and stir to dissolve the yeast completely. Set aside in a warm place covered 10-15 minutes or until mixture becomes frothy, then add to the liquid.
Add the mint leaves, and remaining sugar, stir well, then re-cover with the
towel and set aside for 8-12 hours more at room temperature.

Again strain the mixture through a fine seive. Pour into a wide mouthed container, add the raisins, cover the top with plastic wrap, secure with a rubber band, and place in cool (not cold), spot for 4-5 days or until the raisins are floating and the sediment has sunk to the bottom.

Pour off the clear amber liquid and rebottle in a clean jug or bottles. Refrigerate until ready to use. Kvas is both a beverage and can be used as a soup stock.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 08:32:18 AM »

Sicilian shells
(with apologies to actual Sicilians)

8 oz. pasta shells
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt
8 oz. mozzerella cheese
5-6 mushrooms
3 oz. leaf spinach
12-15 Kalamata olives
24 oz. marinara sauce
Fresh Paramesan cheese

1. Boil the pasta shells in water, with a dash of olive oil and salt (These add flavour and prevent the water over-boiling).
2. Chop up the vegetables, and mix them into the mozzerella. By now the shells should be boiled.
3. Remove the shells from the water, drain, and place open side up into a large Pyrex baking pan. Wait a minute for the shells to cool, then stuff them with the cheese/vegetable mixture.
4. Pour the marinara over all of the shells, then grate the paramesan cheese over the top.
5. Bake at 375 degrees about 45 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2007, 08:57:34 AM »

This thread is killing me...the fast has so long to go!

Last night while I was preparing haluski I couldn't get Veniamin's chili recipe out of my mind.  Embarrassed

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2007, 12:59:32 PM »

This thread is killing me...the fast has so long to go!

Last night while I was preparing haluski I couldn't get Veniamin's chili recipe out of my mind.  Embarrassed

Halushki is SOOOOOO Ukrainian... kinda like "whisky" without "e" is Scotch. Smiley

Love never fails.
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2007, 09:31:17 PM »

Thanks for mentioning halushki.
I stopped at the green grocer on the way home from work today and picked up a head of cabbage and then off to the Hungarian store for dried Hungarian dumplings - Halushki!
Ahh, comfort food!

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 06:07:11 AM »

Amazingly (considering how much I like food!), this is the first time I've looked at this thread. I couldn't help but notice all the talk of Russian Pashka and Greek Easter bread and note that, once again, Romania is somewhere in the middle. Does anyone here (other than the Romanians, of course), know Romanian Pasca? I make it every year, but I'll need to consult a recipe to get the proportions right.

To give a rough description, though, it's a very rich, eggy yeast dough (rather like panettone but minus the fruit), made into a flat, round almost flan-like base and trimmed with a plaited edge. In the middle you put a mixture of (most commonly but there are other variants), branza de vaca (a pretty soft, crumbly, white cow's cheese used for sweets in Romania - the best substitute I've found in Britain is Ricotta, though you need to drain it or it's too wet), a handful of raisins, some flour, eggs, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest, finish it off with a cross of plaited dough and a washing of egg yolk and then bake the whole thing in the oven. It's wonderful.

I'll also try to get a recipe for Cozonac (which I make at Christmas - it's a similar dough to the Pasca and the version I make - because I like it best - is made in a square, covered with a paste of walnuts, icing sugar and milk and rolled up like a Swiss role before baking) and mici otherwise known as mititei, which are small 'sausages' of mince meat, herbs, spices and a lot of garlic, cooked over charcoal - the best thing about summer in Romania. I might even throw in my wife's recipe for piftele (chiftele as they are called by non-Moldovans, I believe) assuming she lets me.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2007, 08:22:22 PM »

kinda like "whisky" without "e" is Scotch. Smiley

There's whisky that's not Scotch? Oh, you must mean this "bourbon" drink. Actually, that's in the same family as water.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 10:18:12 PM »

There's whisky that's not Scotch? Oh, you must mean this "bourbon" drink. Actually, that's in the same family as water.
Fret not, my friend. There is no whisky that is not Scotch (even if our spell-checker does complain about a missing "e".

Wonder if any Irish come here?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2007, 08:32:08 AM »

I hate Scotch (nasty) give me a good Irish one anytime---family history ya know.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2007, 10:31:43 AM »

I hate Scotch (nasty) give me a good Irish one anytime---family history ya know.

Thomas

Grin
Knew there some Irish here...

Expanding the alcoholic beverage theme a bit, my wife informed me last night that I have prepared no wine for the feast. She even went as far as to gather all the items necessary (primary and secondary fermenters, cleaning brushes and solutions, Brix tester, air-locks, yeasts, various other additives like yeast nutrients, tannic acid, etc, pursuant to my completing the request. How I'm going to produce something potable in so short a time I've no idea. This morning she even requested the varieties - cranberry/raisin and blueberry. It's going to be a long day...
Too bad vinavera grapes are so expensive. REAL wine...yum.

Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2007, 01:57:09 PM »

Does celebrating the Feast on the Old calendar give you enough time---I don't know if you have time to make it in time for the new calendar.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2007, 02:13:59 PM »

Civil July 12th? No way.
It will barely be ready for first porting in secondary fermentation. Best I can do is point at the fermenters and say, "See, honey, still working. Must go to store and buy a couple of bottles of 'Russian River Chardonnay' and 'make do' "...(hehe)

Anyway, I've run into a snag today...water. Can't use this dreadful chlorinated municipal stuff. On the farm I just used our own spring water. Must go buy distilled now.

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2007, 12:15:21 AM »

Found this recipe in Sunset magazine and made the cookies on Sunday. My sons, nephews and husband almost ate the whole batch in one sitting. Very spicy for the fall days coming ahead. I think I might make them at Christmas too.

Ginger Chocolate Cookies

3/4 cup unsalted butter
2 cups flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 T ground ginger
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp each cinnamon and ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (I used semi-sweet chocolate chips)

1/3 cup granulated sugar to roll cookie dough balls in before baking

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a large baking sheet. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until thoroughly combined. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, beat 3/4 cup butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add molasses, egg, and vanilla; beat to combine.

3. Mix in dry ingredients gently but thoroughly, scraping down sides of the bowl as necessary. (Batter will be thick) Stir in chopped chocolate (or chocolate chips) until well combined.

4. Form batter into 2-tbsp. balls, roll each ball in granulated sugar, and place 12 balls on buttered baking sheet. (If batter is too sticky, dampen your hands with water when forming balls.) Dip the bottom of a cup or glass in water and use it to flatten balls to a thickness of about 1/4 inch, rewetting glass as necessary to prevent sticking.

5. Bake cookies 5 minutes, turn pan 180 degrees, and bake until just set, about 5 minutes more. Cool on pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks. Repeat forming and baking with remaining balls of dough. Makes 36 cookies.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 12:20:51 AM by Tamara » Logged
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2007, 12:40:04 AM »

Ginger Chocolate Cinnamon Shake

WARNING!  THIS IS ONLY TO BE CONSUMED ONCE A YEAR! 

1 pint Chocolate cookie dough Ice Cream

1/2 cup cold milk

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

3-4 ginerbread cookies

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

chocolate for shaving.

Combine ingredients in a blender.  Set to crush, then to blend.  Pour.  Whip cream the top and shave chocolate (preferably dark chocolate.)  Eat!

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2007, 07:25:37 AM »

^ Yay! I have an excuse to use my new Korintje Cinnamon. It's edible incense.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2007, 01:04:52 AM »

Here's an amazing Indonesian dish (West Sumatra to be exact) for all y'all who like Southeast Asian food!

Rendang Sapi (wrendong sahpee)

2 lbs top round beef
8 cups coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon tumeric powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon fennel (ground)
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder

Spice Paste
5 -8 shallots, peeled and sliced
10 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
2 inches ginger root, peeled and sliced (or you can use already gound stuff in a jar- but not the powder)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Prepare spice paste by grinding all ingredients finely.  I always use a pestle and mortar(sp?).
Cut the beef into 1/4-thick slices roughly 1 inch square.  Put the beef, ground spice past, and all other ingredients into a wok (or large enough pan) and slowly bring to a boil, stiring constantly to prevent the coconut milk from separating.  After mixture boils for a minute or so, reduce heat to medium-low and cover with a lid.  Check and stir from time to time.  When the meat is very tender and the sauce has almost completely evaporated, remove lid and bring temp back up to medium and fry the beef in the oil that's from the coconut milk until a rich reddish brown.  Depending how spicy y'all like it, add your favorite chili sauce.  I use the Indonesian sauce called Sambal Oelek that you can find in almost any Asian store.  If y'all wanna serve with rice, I recommend basmati- ain't nothin' like it!

Enjoy!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2007, 10:38:32 AM »

Hashbrown Casserole
10-12 servings

2  lbs frozen hash browns 
1/2  cup margarine, melted 
1 (10 1/4  ounce) can cream of chicken soup 
1  pint sour cream 
1/2  cup onions, peeled and chopped 
2  cups cheddar cheese, grated 
1  teaspoon salt 
1/4  teaspoon pepper 

Preheat oven to 350F and spray an 11 x 14 baking dish with cooking spray. Mix the above ingredients together, place in prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until brown on top. Note: if using a smaller pan, you may want to stir the casserole half way through cooking.

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2008, 02:24:07 AM »

Mah' mool (Syrian Pascha cookie)

You will need a mah' mool mold. I recommend this one from prosphora.org  http://www.prosphora.org/stamps.html

Maamoul Mold (from the website)

Maamoul are Middle Eastern festal cookies, usually associated with Pascha.  There are the flat-topped date maamoul (left), the oval pistachio maamoul (middle) and the domed walnut maamoul (right).  Each of these has a distinct Christian design, something you won't find on the modern wooden ones, which are often carved by moslems who prefer simple geometric patterns.  Unlike the wooden ones, this mold will not crack or absorb oils from the dough.  The names of each pattern is engraved on the side, so you need not worry about confusing them.

Ingredients for dough:
5 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 lb. unsalted butter
2 tsp. Brandy or whiskey
1 tsp. Mahleb or Mahlebi is the Greek name for it (purchase this ingredient in a middle eastern grocer and make sure you get it in powdered or ground fine form)

Ingredients for filling:
2 cups of walnuts (ground fine), 2 cups of pistachios (ground fine) or 1 lb. dates (pitted and chopped up in a Cuisinart)
1/4 cup sugar (only for walnut and pistachio fillings)
few drops of Orange Flower water

powdered sugar to be used after cookies are baked

Cream butter then add sugar, eggs, and brandy. Mix powdered Mahleb in with the flour. Then add flour mixture into wet
ingredients a little at a time.

Prepare filling as seen in ingredient list.

Roll a ball of dough in your hand and make a thumb print. Insert 1 teaspoon of filling in the well and close dough around filling. You might need to flour hands before you start. Roll the ball lightly in flour then press ball of dough into the mold.
Knock out cookie onto a cutting board.

Place cookies on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly brown on the bottom. Remove form pan and let cool.

When cookies are cool sift powdered sugar on top.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 03:04:55 AM by Tamara » Logged
dove

OC.net

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2008, 02:57:54 PM »

Miniature Scottish Eggs   

One can quail eggs, drained (available at the Asian market)
one tube pork sausage, defrosted if previously frozen
bread crumbs

The quail eggs come in a can, already boiled and peeled. They taste like regular hard boiled eggs, but are tiny. I thought it might be a way to make the least healthy recipe I know (besides syrnaya pascha) a little less dangerous. These make a really great breakfast for a fast-free day.

Here's how to make them.

Wrap each egg in sausage.
Roll  the sausage covered egg in bread crumbs.
Fry, turning fairly often to retain the egg shape, until sausage is cooked.

Good hot or cold.

You can make these with leftover paschal eggs after the fast.

Enjoy!

In Christ,
Matushka Ann Lardas

NULL
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2008, 08:29:40 PM »

^ Ooh, that sounds good!  And a great idea to use quail eggs... chicken eggs are just way too much for a traditional scotch egg.  Instant heart attack, that is.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2008, 04:13:20 PM »

Probably the best Pascal bread is the Italian Colomba Pasquale, meaning "Peace Dove".

For you in the Bay Area (i.e. Tamara), an Italian deli called A.G. Ferrari's carries this wonderful item.  There are locations throughout the Bay Area, including the South Bay (ahem...Tamara...) in Belmont, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale and Los Altos.  You can find them here.  Try other local Italian bakeries as well and some other grocery stores that have import/gourmet items.  While I have seen TJ's (Trader Joe's) carry Panettone, I have't seen them carry Colomba Pasquale which is a far superior bread.

Since Western Easter is so long before Pascha this year, I suggest getting many Pascha food items that are not highly perishable NOW!  This think is so loaded with sugar that it keeps a while (and is wrapped).  Enjoy!
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2008, 05:02:57 PM »

Thanks Elisha,

You are a pal! I just bought some candy today and I need to get some food coloring for eggs. But I will be sure to stop at AJ's to buy the bread. The Belmont store is a 5 minute drive.

Smiley Tamara

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2008, 05:33:45 PM »

No problem.  I told Fr. James to get one last year, but he forgot.  After all, I would think one of Italian descent, being a "Corazza" that he would be all over it.  He definitely was interested when I mentioned it.  There is also an Italian sweet cheesy spread.  Even though it is meant for Christmas and Panettone, I put made it for Pascha.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2008, 02:12:23 AM »

I picked up two (our choir director asked me to get one) from Emporio Rulli's - $26 Shocked Shocked Shocked!!!  It has all the ingredients imported from Italy and is made fresh in Larkspur - it had better be worth it.  I also bought a cioccolato one from A.G. Ferrari's  Grin.  I now am stocked with 3 at home.
Galina-Volga

Faith: Eastern Othodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Kosovo is the heart of Serbiya

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2008, 11:00:46 AM »

http://www.say7.info/cook/recipe/293-Zalivnyie-yayca.html

Would like to make those jello-eggs on Pascha.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2008, 02:19:17 PM »

Those eggs are awfully clever, Galina!

Does anyone have a good kulich recipe? In particular the "tsarskoe" one, if you know what I mean? Thanks!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2008, 08:21:45 AM »

No problem.  I told Fr. James to get one last year, but he forgot.  After all, I would think one of Italian descent, being a "Corazza" that he would be all over it.  He definitely was interested when I mentioned it.  There is also an Italian sweet cheesy spread.  Even though it is meant for Christmas and Panettone, I put made it for Pascha.

Elisha,

If you can get a panettone, it makes a great Pascha Bread similar in look and taste to Russian Kulich.  With a liitle white frosting and a cake decorator tube it works well as a subsitute that few can tell the difference---helpful if you are a working couple who do not have time to bake,single, or the only member of the church in your family. Simply make an Orthodox Russian style three  arm Cross with white icing and put the IC XB on the bread in icing. It adapts well.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2008, 11:05:13 AM »

Elisha,

If you can get a panettone, it makes a great Pascha Bread similar in look and taste to Russian Kulich.  With a liitle white frosting and a cake decorator tube it works well as a subsitute that few can tell the difference---helpful if you are a working couple who do not have time to bake,single, or the only member of the church in your family. Simply make an Orthodox Russian style three  arm Cross with white icing and put the IC XB on the bread in icing. It adapts well.

Thomas

Thomas,

Your reading comprehension skills seemed to have diminished.  Read the 5 prior posts.  I am well stocked with Colomba Pasquale, which is vastly superior to Panettone, kulich and the Greek Easter bread (well, all other Easter breads).
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2008, 12:50:49 PM »

Sorry, we don't have that here.  I am lucky to find Panettone---I usually have to breakdown and pay a baker to make Pascha type breads for me.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2008, 02:09:08 PM »

Thomas,

Your reading comprehension skills seemed to have diminished.  Read the 5 prior posts.  I am well stocked with Colomba Pasquale, which is vastly superior to Panettone, kulich and the Greek Easter bread (well, all other Easter breads).

Mmmmmmmmm, agreed!  The best are ones with chopped hazelnuts on top, instead of almonds though.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2008, 08:57:32 AM »

The last weekend of lent has snuck up on us already, and I will have to do my usual rush and hurry to bake kulich.  Kulich is just not something to quickly throw together.  Has anyone out there already finished their baking?  It's so much better when you do it early in Lent and just freeze them.

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2008, 09:09:08 AM »

The last weekend of lent has snuck up on us already, and I will have to do my usual rush and hurry to bake kulich.  Kulich is just not something to quickly throw together.  Has anyone out there already finished their baking?  It's so much better when you do it early in Lent and just freeze them.

Not doing mine until Thursday.  I don't know how well some of mine would hold up in the freezer, though.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2008, 09:44:16 AM »

A guy that bakes is an admirable thing.  I've waited till Holy Thursday or Holy Friday and just been too stressed out.

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2008, 09:51:42 AM »

A guy that bakes is an admirable thing.  I've waited till Holy Thursday or Holy Friday and just been too stressed out.

That'll be early for me this year.  That's what I normally do on Holy Saturday.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2008, 02:39:46 PM »

It's so much better when you do it early in Lent and just freeze them.

Wish I'd thought of that!

I'm making mahmool this year as well (thanks tamara!).
Baking starts tomorrow (Holy Wednesday here). Holy Thursday is always egg dying day. ("Kokkini Pempti" or "Red Thursday" as we call it in Greek).
Tsoureki is Holy Saturday's job.

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2008, 04:31:14 PM »

I've got a question for any bakers out there.  I made a batch of Kulich on Saturday using bread flour instead of all-purpose.  I bake a lot of bread and the bread flour is the one to use.  However, I'm not sure it's ok for a sweet, eggy bread.  The first rise took 3 hours and the 2nd rise took 1 1/2 hours.  I've never had to rise it that long and I'm wondering if I'm courting a good case of food poisoning with the eggs at warm temps for that long.  I sampled a piece that broke off when I unmoulded one loaf since I thought I would rather get sick than making all my friends and family miserable.  No ill effects.  Are the loaves safe to use?  I was tempted to chuck all the dough but figured the 350 degree baking temp would kill the bad bugs. 

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2008, 05:04:25 PM »

Wish I'd thought of that!

I'm making mahmool this year as well (thanks tamara!).
Baking starts tomorrow (Holy Wednesday here). Holy Thursday is always egg dying day. ("Kokkini Pempti" or "Red Thursday" as we call it in Greek).
Tsoureki is Holy Saturday's job.

You are welcome George. I will be making the mahmool today...my friends at church asked me to make them for our church picnic because our bishop will be spending Pascha with our parish. If you have any questions just let me know. I should add, lightly sift powdered sugar on to cookie, othewise, the beautiful design will be obscured.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 06:11:50 PM by Tamara » Logged
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2008, 07:28:43 PM »

I've got a question for any bakers out there.  I made a batch of Kulich on Saturday using bread flour instead of all-purpose.  I bake a lot of bread and the bread flour is the one to use.  However, I'm not sure it's ok for a sweet, eggy bread.  The first rise took 3 hours and the 2nd rise took 1 1/2 hours.  I've never had to rise it that long and I'm wondering if I'm courting a good case of food poisoning with the eggs at warm temps for that long.  I sampled a piece that broke off when I unmoulded one loaf since I thought I would rather get sick than making all my friends and family miserable.  No ill effects.  Are the loaves safe to use?  I was tempted to chuck all the dough but figured the 350 degree baking temp would kill the bad bugs. 

Yay, I get to use my knowledge passed on from Alton Brown!  Bread flour has more protein in it than all-purpose does, hence the longer rise time.  As long as the inside of your dish reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit, that will kill any bacteria present in the eggs.  I'd just whip out the old candy thermometer and stick it into the middle of the Kulich to make sure the inner temperature is 160 or above.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2008, 08:05:06 PM »

I will be making the mahmool today...

Take a photo, and I'll take a photo of mine and we can post them here!
We might even start an OCnet "Feast and Fast" Recipe book!

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2008, 01:42:54 PM »

Yay, I get to use my knowledge passed on from Alton Brown!  Bread flour has more protein in it than all-purpose does, hence the longer rise time.  As long as the inside of your dish reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit, that will kill any bacteria present in the eggs.  I'd just whip out the old candy thermometer and stick it into the middle of the Kulich to make sure the inner temperature is 160 or above.

Thanks EofK.  I've learned a lot of good stuff from Alton Brown, though he does get to be a little annoying sometimes.  Something about people dressing up like food and rubbing themselves with cooking oil is a little weird. 

Since I didn't get sick from my sample, I think the loaves I've got are ok, but I'm going to make a new batch, add a little more yeast, and use a thermometer to check the internal temp.  I wonder if the extra eggs have something to do with it too, because my regular loaves don't take this long either (maybe 3 1/2 hours total).  Overall I think bread flour makes a better kulich with a finer texture. 

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2008, 01:45:08 PM »

Yeah, Alton's a little weird sometimes.  I get a kick out of the nerdy humour, though.  Your kulich sounds yum!

RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2008, 02:41:12 PM »

The super-easy way to make a carmel sauce for (baked) custard. I made this as a teen for the feasting, and heard a delighted "Oooh, Flan!"

Butter baking dish. Press about 1/2 inch of dark brown sugar in the bottom. Prepare the basic Baked Custard recipe (heavy on the eggs) out of "JOY of COOKING". Pour over the brown sugar and bake as normal. 

Invert on a largish plate as this will want to flatten a bit, but it has a perfect carmel sauce.  really looks like the flan in pictures, but is really easy.

I'll type in the recipe if anyone wants it, but I kinda figure this is a common cook-book.

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2008, 04:41:49 PM »

Your kulich sounds yum!

Well, since we're internet pals I'll share my super secret, old family recipe for kulich.  It's the Kulich recipe from the late 70's Better Homes & Gardens Heritage Cookbook with the histories and food traditions of early America through the immigrant era (with several ethnic groups, including Russians, each getting a chapter w/ recipes), and into the modern era.  The modern food stuff doesn't get much fancier than jello salads, chicken a'la king and quiche.

I've used the kulich recipe for 15 years now with just a couple of changes (I add lemon zest and don't add candied fruits except golden raisins).  I've also made the uncooked Paskha recipe every year and serve that with my other Paskha recipe that uses yellow and white cheddar cheese.  My mouth is watering right now just thinking about huge hunks of Paskha spread on slices of Kulich.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2008, 04:58:20 PM »

Ooh, sounds yummy.  I'll have to give it a try!

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2008, 01:22:47 AM »

Take a photo, and I'll take a photo of mine and we can post them here!
We might even start an OCnet "Feast and Fast" Recipe book!

I will try to do this...I have to make a second batch of cookies tomorrow for my sister and brother-in-law's Greek Lamb roast on Sunday. My younger son has offered to help his techno-clueless mom.  Cheesy
Galina-Volga

« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2008, 06:35:36 AM »

Greek lamb sound excellent!  Kiss  Kiss  Kiss We are going to have it on Paschal trapeza (dinner) in our church.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2008, 09:14:10 AM »

Greek lamb sound excellent!  Kiss  Kiss  Kiss We are going to have it on Paschal trapeza (dinner) in our church.

It is delicious. My brother-in-law buys a whole lamb and roasts it on a homemade spit in his backyard. They invite family, neighbors and friends from church. Most of the folks are either of Greek, Armenian or middle eastern ancestry so the food everyone brings is mostly from that region. Last year I brought a Russian Cheese Paska and no one had ever seen one before. They loved it! They spread the cheese dessert on my sister's homemade Greek Easter bread. It was so yummy. But this year, the khouria is making a cheese paska for the event. We also all bring red Easter eggs so we can have a giant egg fight. But fortunately for us, this year we will have a priest with us to bless all of the eggs. This yearly event has been a great way to introduce non-Orthodox neighbors and friends to Orthodoxy.
RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2008, 09:46:06 AM »

1. How do you substitute for Baker's cheese in the assorted Pascha recipes? That sort of cheese is simply not availble around here.

2. I didn't see the recipe for the Pascha that uses White Chedder. Could someone post it?

Thanks

One more...

What would you make if you had more eggs than you could imagine? (my hens are giving 8 eggs a day!)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 10:02:27 AM by RLNM » Logged

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2008, 02:09:37 PM »

1. How do you substitute for Baker's cheese in the assorted Pascha recipes? That sort of cheese is simply not availble around here.

2. I didn't see the recipe for the Pascha that uses White Chedder. Could someone post it?

One more...
What would you make if you had more eggs than you could imagine? (my hens are giving 8 eggs a day!)

1.   Baker's cheese?  I've seen it called Farmer's cheese, but I suspect it's the same thing.  I always substitute large curd cottage cheese and it tastes perfectly fine.  The easiest thing to do is to put the cottage cheese in a fine mesh colander and rinse it well with cold water and drain it well.  Then I take a fine mesh strainer (or I've even used the mesh grease spatter guards you put over pans) and press the cottage cheese through the strainer.  It comes out very finely sieved and ready to mix.  Another tip, never mix your paskha with an electric mixer.  The heat from the appliance isn't good for the ingredients.  Just mix by hand.

2.    The Paskha with white cheddar cheese was a recipe that was given to me by a former matushka of our parish.  The recipe was originally given to her by a parishioner somewhere up north.  It is very unusual but delicious.  Here it is, and if you like it, just remember one of the nicest matuschki ever. 

MATUSCHKA SUSAN'S CHEESE PASKHA

1 ½ lb. large curd cottage cheese, rinsed and drained
(or substitute 1 lb. cottage cheese and ½ lb. cream cheese)
1 lb. mild white cheddar cheese, finely grated by hand (you can also do half-and-half white cheddar and mild yellow cheddar - pre shredded cheese is easy to use)
1 lb. unsalted butter, softened
5 hard boiled egg yolks
2 ½ cups sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 lb. finely ground almonds
4 feet fine cheesecloth, washed & hung to dry

Rub the drained cottage cheese (and cream cheese if used) and egg yolks through a very fine mesh sieve.  Thorougly mix all ingredients by hand (do not use a mixer or blender, too hot and will melt the ingredients slightly).   Line a wooden or plastic pascha mold or a new plastic flowerpot with a double layer of  cheesecloth (one layer in one direction and one layer in the other).  Press the cheese mixture into the mold, and drape the tail ends of the cheesecloth over the top of the cheese.  Put a saucer on top of the cheesecloth and a heavy can of soup or something like that.  Place a dish under the mold to catch the drips.  Pour off any collected liquid several times (although this is a pretty dry paskha mixture and has little excess liquid). Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours before unmolding.  Decorate with candies, dried fruit or nuts as desired.

3.   For all the extra Pascha eggs, I make a baked egg dish.  It's hard boiled egg halves filled with a mix of the boiled yolks, mushrooms, onions, parsley, thyme, tomato paste and paprika all sauteed in a ton of butter.  You pour a thyme flavored bechamel sauce over the top and put about a pound of cheddar cheese on top.  A real heart clogger this recipe.  Space is running out so PM me if you'd like the recipe.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 02:10:22 PM by TinaG » Logged

RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2008, 02:24:09 PM »

I think I see myself doing a bit of cooking in the next few days! Grin

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2008, 02:55:34 PM »

What we (my parish) are doing (from the bulletin):

MEAT: There will be a lamb on the spit and a Hawaiian style pig roasted in a pit. If you prefer another meat, bring it with you and we will have the BBQ lit and ready to grill. There will be people who will do the cooking for you, or do-it-yourself if you want (but they are all very good grill masters.) We will provide condiments for hamburgers and hot dogs.

SIDE DISH, APPETIZERS: While the BBQ is warming up, we like to start the feast with drinks and appetizers. (Last year, we finally had enough deviled eggs! Way to go!) This year, I hope will have enough again. (HINT HINT) (Check with me, I may have some pre-boiled eggs to offer.)
I would like to get an idea of what people are bringing, so feel free to catch me at one of the many services or e-mail me at (removed) as to what you will be sharing. We like chips and dip, (maybe even Nacho Cheese Doritos,) cheese and crackers, finger foods, green salads, pasta salads, potato salads, warm side dishes... what ever fits the feast!

DRINKS: I will make strawberry lemonade, but we need beer, sodas, beer, wine, more beer, and more wine. Did I mention beer? (We need to keep those grillers happy!) Do you want me to make Sangria again? I will if people request it.

DESSERT: There will be Pascha Cheese, ice cream, and candy, but feel free to bring more sweet stuff! (Pie goes nicely with ice cream...)

ACTIVITIES: Be apart of all of them or none of them. The kids will hunt for Pascha eggs, and we may have a few relay-type races involving eggs, and potato sacks. Perhaps a tug-o-war may happen or an Ultimate Frisbee game. If there is interest, we can set up the Volleyball net. There is a cleaned up horseshoe pit, too. We can also just sit around (because we are too stuffed to move) and hang out with each other. (You may want to bring a comfortable camp or beach chair that has a back on it. )
Who knows what more activities there will be!
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2008, 05:27:35 PM »

Dear Moderators,

I tried to post photos of my cookies but it didn't work so please delete when you have time.

thank you, Tamara
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 07:25:43 PM by Tamara » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2008, 12:57:43 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Tamara,
The Mahmoul were absolutely delicious! They've all gone! They are going to be an annual event henceforth.
Here are some snapshots.

I used the semolina recipe which I made the night before and added the flower waters the next day:

Here they are, ready for the oven:

The first batch after baking, cooling & dusting with icing sugar:

And here is my Paschal table all ready for our return from the Liturgy.
Tsoureki is in the middle front, dyed eggs in the middle back, and Mahmoul on the sides.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2008, 01:58:27 PM »

Unfortunately, it's starting to rain here in southern Missouri but as far as I know the BBQ is still on.  Here's my potato salad:

Potato Salad
6 medium to large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 large red onion, diced
3 hard-boiled eggs, diced
1 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp yellow mustard
2 Tbsp dried dill seasoning
pinch of salt

Boil potatoes until they are soft enough to cut with a fork but still firm.  (You don't want these disintegrating when you mix in everything else or you'll have mashed potato salad.)  Combine onion, egg, mayo, mustard, dill, and salt in a large bowl.  Drain potatoes and gently rinse with cold water.  Make sure all the water is drained out, then gently fold into the bowl with onion mixture.  Can be served immediately or chilled in the refrigerator for 1 hour.  (I prefer chilled.)  Should keep refrigerated for 3-4 days.

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2008, 09:08:53 PM »

Xristos Anesti!

Hi George,

Here are my mahmool. I made ninety of them last week and they are all gone! If you liked the farina version you should
also try the flour version too. The cookies are very tender.

Galina-Volga

« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2008, 01:10:54 PM »

To Tamara and OzGeorge.

Guys, recepy please!  Wink I will wait.
Galina-Volga

« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2008, 01:12:17 PM »

Another question. Where can I find the cookie shape like yours?
Galina-Volga

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2008, 01:14:24 PM »

I apologize! The recepy is above.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 01:14:58 PM by Galina-Volga » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2008, 01:24:38 PM »

Xristos Anesti!

Hi George,

Here are my mahmool. I made ninety of them last week and they are all gone! If you liked the farina version you should

Tamara, those are very pretty.  I hope they were tasty too.  How was your Colomba Pasquale?
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2008, 03:06:46 PM »

I apologize! The recepy is above.
I'm glad you found it! This is the recipe I used.

Another question. Where can I find the cookie shape like yours?
I got mine from the website where the recipe came from. He makes the cookie molds out of resin when you order them, so it can take to 4-8 weeks before you receive it, so don't leave it to the last minute!

Xristos Anesti!

Hi George,

Are these the semolina recipe or the flour recipe?

RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2008, 03:17:50 PM »

TinaG,
I wanted to let you know... I tried the Pascha recipe. I had trouble with the pressing part- discovered that threadbare towels just won't substitute for cheesecloth. But, regardless, it was still delicious! My entire family are now big fans. (this was their first time having Pascha)

I haven't had the chance to fix the eggs yet. I will make it soon. In my home, it is better to spread the feasting over time, rather than trying to make everything in the same weekend. If I make it all at the same time, something (or two) gets left to mold. Yuk! So, a little at a time- much less waste.  Smiley

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2008, 04:22:27 PM »

I am really glad you and your family liked the recipe.  It's not traditional at all, but it is soooo good.  I brought some up to work just to get it out of the house.  I eat it till I'm sick.

There is no subsitute for cheesecloth.  I also don't have a real pascha mold, so I just use the large cottage cheese containers as my mold.  They're sort of the right shape and I just use a sharp knife to poke drain holes from the inside out (don't poke outside in or the liquid can't drain properly). 

Tamara
Archon

« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2008, 04:39:27 PM »

Tamara, those are very pretty.  I hope they were tasty too.  How was your Colomba Pasquale?

Thanks Elisha. I never had a chance to buy it that day, I think a small family crisis kept me from finishing my shopping. Sad
How was your's?

Are these the semolina recipe or the flour recipe?
I used the flour recipe that I posted earlier on this thread. It's my mother's recipe and it is the best.  Smiley

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 04:39:45 PM by Tamara » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2008, 06:06:06 PM »

Thanks Elisha. I never had a chance to buy it that day, I think a small family crisis kept me from finishing my shopping. Sad
How was your's?

You, like so missed out.  A.G. Ferrari's even came out with a chocolate version this year which went over well with the women I shared it with.  Next year, If I'm smart, I should be able to pick up a lot of hot women with it if I try and target the right groups.  Get both though (the regular and Chocolate) - they're both better than any kulich or greek bread you'll have.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2008, 02:35:20 PM »

Dyeing deep red eggs for Pascha without using toxic dyes

The recipe I used was:

2 dozen brown eggs (bring to room temperature and boil in two separate pots so they won't crack, then let eggs come to room temperature again before dyeing)
1 (1 oz.) bottle of red food coloring
1/2 cup of white vinegar (intensifies the color)
8 cups of boiling water (but I let the water cool down before placing the eggs in it so they wouldn't crack)

I also used the trick Galina mentions of oiling the egg. I waited until the eggs were completely dry then I used a soft oily cloth (canola oil) and gently rubbed each egg. I wiped each egg so it wouldn't be oily but it still had a sheen. The oil gives the egg a deeper more lustrous red color. See photo below.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 02:39:44 PM by Tamara » Logged
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2008, 08:42:12 AM »

Tamara,

A Greek sister in our parish several years ago suggested the edition of 5 drops of blue to the dye, they came out deep red like using the Greek Dye but at a much lower cost using American Food dye. I used it this year with great result.

Thomas
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 02:35:22 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Galina-Volga

« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2008, 09:53:56 AM »

Tamara, the eggs look very beautiful. The special contrast of the green plate and red color of eggs makes them more attractive. Mine were reddish-brown (because of the onion shell). It was funny with collecting of the onion shell. I started to do it around the beginning of the lent. Then (a week before Pascha) I realized that it's still not enough so I went to Wal-Mart and bought 2 big red onions and in addition to them I put a lot of onion shell in the plastic bag. Still wondering what the cashier-desk woman thought about me.  laugh
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2008, 01:08:30 AM »

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for the tip. I will try it next year.

Dear Galina,

Thank you. My elderly friend from Jerusalem uses onion skins too. She takes leaves of various plants and wraps them around the egg before dying them so there will be a white pattern of the leaves on the egg when she is finished. They are very beautiful. Do the red onion skins still create a brown colored dye?

Tamara
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 01:20:24 AM by Tamara » Logged
Galina-Volga

« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2008, 08:42:41 AM »

Tamara I mixed yellow and red onion skins. It creates deep reddish-brown color but in order to get that shade it takes me to dye eggs around 40 to 45 minutes. I think it sounds very interesting with the white leaves pattern. Does she tie the leaves to the eggs with the thread?
Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2008, 05:13:17 PM »

Pho Ga (this is one of those rough estimate recipes)

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken
2-8 anise star seeds
1-6 Serrano chilies sliced very thickly
2 bunches cilantro
1 good chunk of ginger peeled (no shorter than the palm of your hand)
1 onion peeled and halved
Rice noodles (the thinner the better)
Nappa Cabbage
Garlic
Green onions
Mongolian Fire oil
Braggs liquid amino's or soy sauce
Chicken soup stock (powdered) or base

Find a very large pot and place whole chicken into it (it doesn't matter if you take out the guts or not, obviously no paper though)

Fill pot up with water until it covers the chicken by 2-4 inches. Add half to 3/4 amount of stock in proportion to water. (so if you had 10 cups of water only add 5-7 cups worth of chicken stock/broth.

Throw in halved onion, one bunch of cilantro very roughly chopped, Serrano chilies, ginger, and as much garlic as you desire (more the better in my opinion)

Simmer until the meat is falling off the carcass. (On a high heat this could be an hour, on low heat there is more flavor and it takes 2 hours of simmering).

Take chicken out of pot and strain all the above stuff out of the broth.

Sample the broth to see if it is either too spicy or too watery. Add broth accordingly.

Strip chicken off the carcass in long strips and add the meat into the strained broth. (no skin)

You can skim oil off the top of the soup if you like at this point

After 10 minutes of simmering add rice noodles. Then roughly chop the Napa cabbage and add it. Simmer another 5m minutes.

Chop the remaining cilantro bunch and green onions.

Serve in bowls with cilantro and green onions sprinkled on top and a splash of soy or Braggs for salt. And if you want an eye watering experience add a good dose of fire oil.

Advice; if you are going to cook the inital chicken mixture for less than 1.5 hours use more chilies, if you are going to cook it for a long time add fewer chilies.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 05:21:21 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2008, 05:23:20 PM »

And the above recipe needs at least 2 hours of work on it. Stripping the chicken takes a long time. And a whole chicken is necessary to achieve the best flavor, boneless skinless chicken won't work.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2008, 05:35:52 PM »

Quinault, that recipe sounds sooo delicious! Thanks for posting! I hope to try it sometime soon!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2008, 12:24:06 AM »

Something simple, but so good...  Frico.

300g Fresco Montasio (young) [sliced]
150g Semi-stagionato Montasio (aged, but not too hard) [crumbled]
200g of Potatoes [Boiled and mashed]
Olive oil

First coat the bottom of a frying pan with a thin layer of olive oil.  Take half of your Fresco Montasio cheese slices and cover the bottom of the pan.  Crumble half of the Semi-stagionato Montasio cheese over the cheese slices.  Evenly spread all your mashed potatoes over the cheese.  Crumble the rest of the Semi-stagionato Montasio over the mashed potatoes evenly.  Now cover everything with the remaining slices of Fresco Montasio cheese.  Turn the burner up to high and cook the Frico until it is golden brown on both sides.  It should puff up a bit and come together during cooking, but still be nice and crispy.  Drain the oil and serve.   Smiley  Grana Padano cheese would work too, or Asiago.

Of course, you can change it however you like.  Make it more potato-y, cheesier, crispier, softer, etc.  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 12:25:34 AM by Friul » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2008, 12:31:35 AM »

Mmmm, my two favorite things:  Cheese and potatoes!  Thanks, this sounds delicious!

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2008, 09:26:47 PM »

It does sound scrumptious, Friul! Likely not something I should be eating right now, but at any rate, something to dream of!

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2008, 01:40:36 AM »

Sinful French Toast

This is my favourite quick comfort food!

1 large thick slice of day old bread
4 tbsp caster sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup strawberries or raspberries (frozen or fresh)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp olive oil

Beat egg, milk & vanilla extract together in a shallow dish big enough to soak the bread in.
Soak bread in mixture, turning it over.

Thaw berries in microwave (if frozen) and mix with 2 tbsp sugar then puree well in blender.

Melt butter in oilive oil in a frypan over a medium heat, then fry soaked bread until golden on both sides.

Dust both sides of the French Toast with the remaining sugar, then pour the berry puree over it and enjoy!

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2008, 02:07:08 AM »

What is "caster sugar?" Nevermind, I googled it. It is a super fine sugar.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:08:17 AM by Quinault » Logged
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2009, 01:44:31 PM »

Here's a recipe that I modified this weekend:

Asparagus Risotto

Ingredients:
½ lb. fresh asparagus, cut into 1½ inch pieces (about 2 cups)
1 cup chopped onion
2-3 cups chicken broth (start with 2 and add more if needed to soften rice)
1 cup white wine (try St. James Wineries Seyval, but any semi-dry white wine will do)
1 Tbsp. butter
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups uncooked white rice (NOT instant rice)
2 garlic cloves, pressed or chopped
½ cup grated fresh parmesan
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper

Directions:
Melt butter in 12 inch skillet over medium high heat.  Add rice and stir to coat.  Add wine and stir, then add chicken broth and stir.  Reduce heat to low and cover.  Cook 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  When rice is softened but still firm, add soup, asparagus, parmesan, onion, and garlic and increase heat to medium.  Cook another 5-10 minutes, stirring often until rice is soft.  Turn off heat, then add lemon zest, basil, parsley, and pepper.  Stir and serve.  Makes 4-6 servings.

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2012, 06:30:41 PM »

Let's see - on a major feast day a medium size parish will have variety bread,cheese,assorted meats,potatoes,finger foods,and desserts...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:31:24 PM by WPM » Logged
Luckster
Double Dipper

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2013, 06:23:59 PM »

Redneck Turtle Burger

Step One: Mold hamburger meat into patties.
Step Two: Season the beef.
Step Three: Take a shot of cheap whiskey, our chef chose Bushmills.
Step Four: Continue to season the beef patties.
Step Five: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Step Six: Fold the bacon over the seasoned beef patty in a basket weave pattern.
Step Seven: Secure the bacon with toothpicks.
Step Eight: Insert five hot dog ends into the patty. They will serve as the turtle’s head and legs.
Step Nine: Make several small slits at the tip of each “leg” to serve as “fingers.”
Step Ten: Cut a triangle-shaped piece of hot dog and insert it into the patty as a tail.
Step Eleven: Pose awkwardly with your raw meat turtle burger.
Step Twelve: Place the turtle on an oven rack and then place on aluminum pan. Cover turtle loosely with foil dome and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
Step Thirteen: Remove turtle from oven, let cool briefly and remove toothpicks. Enjoy.
Congratulations, you have successfully made a Redneck turtle burger, the most epic meal you will ever cook. Now go grab another shot of whiskey and dig in.

Gayle

Faith: Orthodox christan

« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2013, 11:00:23 PM »

WOW! you all make me hungry,by the way I am irsh,french,english and American native,..from Kansas!!!!!!!
Amatorus
Lost Recluse
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2014, 01:43:51 AM »

Red Pascha Eggs
You may want to ask why Red Eggs? Why the Coloring of the pascha eggs"?
 There are several traditions surrounding this coloring of the Pascha Eggs.
1) The red eggs symbolize the resurrection Jesus Christ, red for his blood and egg for life.                                             
2) Another, that shortly after the resurrection, Mary Magdalene traveled to Rome and presented the Emperor with a red egg while exclaiming "Christ is risen"
3) A Pious tradition is that the cracking of eggs symbolizes the shattering of Hades by the victorious Christ.

Ingredients:
•   Uncooked eggs
•   Water
•   3/4 cup Vinegar
•   Red food dye or coloring (Greek Powder Red Food Dye is best but you can also use  lots of American Red Food Coloring and still achieve a nice color by following the instructions below- the secret is to boil the dye into the eggs rather than dunking the eggs as we do in the US)
•   Vegetable oil
•   A few cotton balls

Directions:
1)Carefully wash and dry each egg brought to room temperature [this is an important step, cold eggs have a greater tendency to crack during the cooking process.]
2)Set a large pot of water to boil. Add a red dye or food coloring (water should look beet red]and 3/4 cup of vinegar to the water, and boil for a few minutes.
3)Slowly lower the eggs into the pot, and when the water comes to a boil, lower the heat.
4) Let eggs simmer for 15 min., then remove them carefully from the pot.
5)If you plan to cook more eggs, add an additional 2 tbs. vinegar to the water. And follow the same process.
6) Wipe cooked eggs with an oil-soaked cotton ball, then wipe each egg with a clean dry  cloth leaving a nice shine to the egg.     

Thomas                                                                                                                         

Did Mary Magdalene really do that?! Tiberius was emperor at the time. Can I get a source? Also I have a recipe for a special baked spaghetti-like dish I need to find.

"He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." - 1 John 4:18
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2014, 01:14:57 AM »

Did Mary Magdalene really do that?! Tiberius was emperor at the time. Can I get a source?

http://www.denver.goarch.org/parishes/Grand_Junction/mary_magdalene/

The problem with asking "Did x really do y?" is that it can be applied to anybody. 

Amatorus
Lost Recluse
Elder

« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2014, 02:16:38 AM »

Did Mary Magdalene really do that?! Tiberius was emperor at the time. Can I get a source?

http://www.denver.goarch.org/parishes/Grand_Junction/mary_magdalene/

The problem with asking "Did x really do y?" is that it can be applied to anybody. 

Very interesting, although I don't like the negative portrayal of Pontius Pilate here. Sure, it was a bad time to be neutral to say the least, but if you consider that he was being assigned to an unstable newly-unconquered province the Romans saw as a backwater, and the bribed crowd could easily start a riot, the tension of morality vs. stability got the best of him. But that's OT.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2014, 02:21:14 AM »

Very interesting, although I don't like the negative portrayal of Pontius Pilate here. Sure, it was a bad time to be neutral to say the least, but if you consider that he was being assigned to an unstable newly-unconquered province the Romans saw as a backwater, and the bribed crowd could easily start a riot, the tension of morality vs. stability got the best of him. But that's OT.

?

Amatorus
Lost Recluse
Elder

« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2014, 03:51:42 AM »

?

Off Topic. Tongue not Old Testament, err...

Tags: Feast recipe Food 
Pages: 1 2 3 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: