Author Topic: Orthodox reading suggestions  (Read 2116 times)

Offline matthew1979

Orthodox reading suggestions
« on: February 26, 2007, 10:22:43 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am posting to see if anyone out there can provide me with suggested readings at the introductory/intermediate level about the teachings of the Orthodox Church. I am an Orthodox Christian who does not know nearly enough about the teachings of our Church.

I am especially interested in books (or articles, etc) that will allow me to:
- understand the differences between the teachings of the Orthodox Church and those of the RC church.
- learn to rebut Evangelical/Pentecostal/Charismatic teachings from the Orthodox viewpoint; I feel an urgent need to arm myself with knowledge in the face of these groups luring my Orthodox contemporaries away from our Church
- understand our Church's position and teaching on contemporary topics such as Evolution/Creation, the war in Iraq/war on terror, etc.

Thank you for your guidance.

Offline Justinian

Re: Orthodox reading suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 01:01:08 PM »
For Evolution/Creation, I have found these two articles to be quite informative: http://fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/evolution_kuraev.htm
"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot

Offline drewmeister2

• Elder
  • Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 05:30:07 PM »
I am reading "Kindling the Divine Spark" by St. Theophan the Recluse, which is about keeping zeal for your faith. 
Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV

Offline Mandy

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 03:31:20 PM »
I am coming from Protestantism to the Orthodox faith and one of the most helpful books for me has been "The Way-What every protestant should know about the Orthodox Church" by Clark Carlton. He also wrote "The Truth- What every Roman catholic should know about the Orthodox Church"  I haven't read this one though.

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 06:45:59 PM »
There's always the old standby, "The Orthodox Church" by Timothy Ware. (Now known as Bishop Kallistos Ware. The book was published before he was ordained Bishop.)

For those unfamiliar with it, Bishop Ware does a great job of telling the history of the Orthodox Church and what we believe. Although the book isn't written to be an apologetics work, by understanding the history and beliefs of the Church, you're obviously in a better position to defend them.
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 10:25:56 PM »
Canonical iconography and liturgical texts (especially those for the vigil services of feasts - many are available in English and online). These represent the consensus patrum, the universal teachings of the Orthodox Church. Open your ears to what is read, said and sung in as many Orthodox services as you can. If your church serves in a language other than English, get hold of translations. The richness of Orthodox liturgical tradition and iconography is almost too much to take in. A lifetime would not be enough.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?