OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 09:03:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 10 Reasons to convert to Orthodoxy  (Read 4540 times) Average Rating: 0
trifecta
Fairly newly illumined

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 21, 2007, 08:10:49 AM »

Greetings.

I have chosen the name Trifecta because if I convert to Orthodoxy I will have run the trifecta of Christianity.  I grew up Roman Catholic, became a Protestant in college, and now am considering conversion to Orthodoxy.   I am not officially a Catechumen yet, but I have attended classes. I am in dialogue with some people about why I am considering Orthodoxy.

If a Christian were to ask you why they should convert to Orthodoxy, what would you tell them?

Here is what I have so far--in no particular order:

1) no theological liberalism - no one in Orthodoxy denies the divinity of Christ or the resurrection or adds crazy things like worshipping other gods.

2) beauty in worship - The use of the five senses in worship shows God's magnificant work in creating us.  This includes, of course, icons and incense.

3) cloud of witnesses - the church building reminds us of those faithful who have preceded us and (in some way) look over us.

4) Apostolic faith - The faith is passed to us going back to the apostles.  It has history, and its continuance is not dependent on the whim of an inspiring preacher or leader.

5) Developed theology but with a place for mystery - Most theological issues have been discussed during the 2000 year history of the church so strange doctrine is not likely to find its way in.  At the same time, the church acknowledges the mystery of God and our inability to understand Him entirely.

6) Lack of emphasis on the individual - Reflecting an Eastern perspective, the focus on the Orthodox isn't on how the church can help me (as in many Protestant churches). 

7) Emphasis on history and preservation of the faith - Certain groups, especially more charismatic and Pentecostals, claim that God is revealing new things to them.  Their lack of appreciation of history usually leads to arrogance.

Cool Humbleness before God.  Above all else, this is emphasized, and is perhaps the most important aspect of a Christian.  I think too much focus on how well we know scripture or how many good works we perform takes away from this attitude. 

9) Emphasis on the Trinity - Rarely do Protestants talk about the Spirit and the idea of God communing with Himself (there must be a theological term for this, but I don't know it).  I am reminded of the Trinity in each Orthodox service.

What am I missing?  Anyone care to submit their own list.  I don't want to miss anything.

born Catholic, became a Protestant, now and hereafter an Orthodox Christian
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 08:40:46 AM »

Welcome Trifecta and may God grant you many years.

10) Respect for Tradition

and

11) Cool Ethnic Festivals  Cool

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 09:42:12 AM »

Welcome Trifecta to the Convert Issues Forum. May God grant you many years!

You summed up well the reason I was attracted to the Holy Orthodox Church. I hope that you will continue along this path into entering the catechumenate.

In Christ,
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 10:39:42 AM »

I've done a lot of the Top 10 list items with people I've casually talked about Orthodoxy with and you seem to have hit all the biggies.  Lately I've just been asking people I'm engaging with, where they think the Bible and their basic Christian beliefs come from.  I encourage them to read a history of the 7 Ecumenical Councils and find out about who and when these things were actually codified. 

When it actually comes down to it though, there are no Top 10 reasons that you weigh up in your decision for conversion.  You are just going to know this is the place for you.  There is a peace that comes from the Holy Spirit which just says 'yes, God is leading me here and this is the right decision'.  I went through all these reasons 15 years ago and I know intellectually they are the truth, but conversion is more a gut thing than that.  Since then my life as an Orthodox Christian hasn't always been without struggles, but I've never regretted it.  It's been the single most gratifying and purposeful thing I've ever done in my life, and I wish you many  blessings you in your journey.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 11:40:29 AM »

Welcome and many years!  What a great name... it gave me quite a chuckle.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
KATHXOYMENOC

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 12:37:39 PM »

Welcome and many years!  What a great name... it gave me quite a chuckle.

How about triathlon?  Wink

KYPIOCIHCOYCXPICTOC
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 02:08:49 PM »

I could think of a lot of reasons why I made the choice I made.

Number one on my list however is the Eucharist.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 04:59:25 AM »

All self-supporting reasons and listing and enlightenment thinking aside there is only one simple reason,
The Orthodox Church is the Church Christ founded, it teaches and upholds the Deposit of Faith and Sacred tradition.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 01:12:38 PM »

1) no theological liberalism - no one in Orthodoxy denies the divinity of Christ or the resurrection or adds crazy things like worshipping other gods.

No theological liberalism? Really? I met an Russian Orthodox man the other day who was gay and he, along with his spiritual father, believe that homosexuality is not against Eastern Orthodoxy. My point is simply this: every church has to deal with liberal or heretical members.
Many Blessings in Christ

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 01:16:38 PM »

That's not theological liberalism in the church.  That's two clueless people.
Sarah

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 01:25:46 PM »

Papist, being homosexual and being a sexually active homosexual are two different things.  Could the Russian Orthodox man and his spiritual father have meant the former and not the latter?
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 05:32:15 PM »

All self-supporting reasons and listing and enlightenment thinking aside there is only one simple reason,

"enlightenment thinking"?!?  Could you please explain what is meant by that phrase?  Thank you.

The Orthodox Church is the Church Christ founded, it teaches and upholds the Deposit of Faith and Sacred tradition.

It would seem to be that that is  a reason that would only be accepted of one was already convinced as to it being true.  The RC says the same thing about their Church. 

I am neither because, meaning no disrespect, I do not find that "reason" convincing.  So just telling that to a person does not guarantee that it will be accepted.

With respect,

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 11:38:55 PM »

Welcome, Trifesta! Welcome home. Congratulations with your decision. You provided an excellent summary of reasons.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 02:48:43 AM »

Upon a moment of reflection I have come to this conclusion.  Listing 10 reasons why the Orthodox are better than the Protestants and Catholics is playing "my God is better than your God."  A list of reasons why to join without comparing us to Roman Catholics or Protestants would be more proper. 

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 03:05:36 AM »

"enlightenment thinking"?!?  Could you please explain what is meant by that phrase?  Thank you.

It would seem to be that that is  a reason that would only be accepted of one was already convinced as to it being true.  The RC says the same thing about their Church. 

I am neither because, meaning no disrespect, I do not find that "reason" convincing.  So just telling that to a person does not guarantee that it will be accepted.

With respect,

Ebor

Refer up to my post about not playing "my God is better than your God."  There is a proper way to discuss the Orthodox Church's position without putting down the person you are talking to.  I see this all too much, where someone will say "your view is wrong, all you X think like that.  We don't think like that because we believe X, so you're wrong and going to hell."   It should be more of a humble conversation.  Informational and non-argumentative.  There was an incident I was aware of that consisted of some newly Christmated Orthodox going and arguing with Protestants.  This is not how to spread the faith, it is a sin.  Therefore before we would set out to talk about the faith we should be instructed by people who know how to, without demonstrating pride (my way of worship is better than yours).  Let us remember also the sin of taking the Lord's name in vain doesn't mean just cursing, it also means misrepresenting and assuming and arguing at a childish level in the capacity of fighting/arguing why Orthodoxy is better than Catholicism or protestantism.  It is a fine line to walk and not as easy as one might think. 
And another refute, the Roman Catholic church is apostolic, keep that in mind.   
The Orthodox and Roman Catholics have more in common than meets the eye, remember the Roman Catholic Church is the Church of Rome, it isn't as if they appeared out of the blue.  We are all aware of the differences, but quite often the similiarities are not spoken of.  So you refute my statement by saying the Catholics could claim to be the original church of Christ as well, so my thought was not effective.  The fact is the Church of Rome has been around just as long as the Eastern churches.  Yes, I realize we all are not at the point were we can all sit at the same table and break bread, but despite the obvious differences we do all share the apostolic tradition.  I may also note that one thing that still shocks me is the anti-Catholicism that DOES exist among some converts.  I was raised Catholic, I suffered at the hands of protestants that did things ranging from telling me I was going to hell (I went to Catholic high school), to putting tracts in my mailbox, to not being allowed to date girls because their parents hated catholics.  Even my bus driver that took us to Catholic High School openly hated Catholics.  I would remind those that have anti-Catholic tendencies to please check them at the door when you join Orthodoxy.  It is offensive and uncharitable.  I am not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, just making a general observation from different experiences.

trifecta
Fairly newly illumined

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 08:14:49 AM »

Welcome Trifecta and may God grant you many years.

Thank you especially to those who wish me many years.  I have been to enough Orthodox
services to hear that phrase.  First time it was specifically applied to me.

I feel I should respond to some of the discussion here. 

When it actually comes down to it though, there are no Top 10 reasons that you weigh up in your decision for conversion.  You are just going to know this is the place for you.  There is a peace that comes from the Holy Spirit which just says 'yes, God is leading me here and this is the right decision'.  I went through all these reasons 15 years ago and I know intellectually they are the truth, but conversion is more a gut thing than that. 

Thank you for your thoughts.  I have heard many, like you, say they never regretted their decision to enter the church.  This is encouraging and is good testimony.  In reference to the quote above, I feel drawn to the Orthodox Church, I wasn't really seeking it.  For me, however, I feel the need to step back and as John said (1 John 4) test the spirits.  When I converted to a Protestant church, I also feel I was being led.  Now, I feel I stepped into it too quickly without enough research.    I appreciate some Orthodox friends telling me to take my time.  The search for truth is, for me, not very fuzzy-wuzzy.  I don't expect a perfect church.  Therefore, I must compare the churches that exist.   

To Username!,  I did not join the Protestant church out of anger with Roman Catholicism (as some evangelicals do).  I am not anti-Catholic.   If my writing style offends you, I apologize.  My Internet writing tends to be as my first posting--somewhat provocative.  So, feel free to put me on "ignore." 

born Catholic, became a Protestant, now and hereafter an Orthodox Christian
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 12:28:12 PM »

Papist, being homosexual and being a sexually active homosexual are two different things.  Could the Russian Orthodox man and his spiritual father have meant the former and not the latter?

He was active. He is a man in his fifties who is often sexually active with men in their twenties.  Sad Too bad there is not a vomit emoticon.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 12:31:40 PM »

With respect,

Ebor
GOOD POINT!!! I can say that the Catholic Church is the true Church all day long and that does not make it true. You can say that the Eastern Orthodox Church is the true Church all day long and that does not make it true. Which Church is the true Church is determined by which one Christ founded and to know which one it is, one needs reasons.

Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 12:50:28 AM »

Maybe Orthodox people would see more eye to eye with Catholics if they were still traditional. Often times nowadawys with this crazy 'Vatican II' stuff happening, Catholicism seems indistinguishable from certain types of protestantism. I mean if an Orthodox person walked into a catholic church which had some sort of statuary/iconography, incense, chant, and proper vestments, the service would look very Orthodox but in a western setting....in my catholic high school, our nun sister Ursula would wear colorful Hawaiian short sleeved shirts and we finally identified that she was a nun by her tiny wooden cross; at Mass the choir would sing "Open a Circle" and "You Know You Can do it- Whatever it is!" and teachers both men and women would casually hand out communion- see what I mean? Something is very rotten in this state of Denmark...and I don't say that passing judgement, only out of concern.
jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 01:34:06 AM »

Username, 
I do agree that there are a number of converts to Orthodoxy (who were former RCs) that complain about the the Roman Catholic Church.  I also grew up RC and attended Catholic highschool and I am very grateful to my parents for sending me and my siblings there (six kids, ouch...expensive). I just wish that the curriculum on Church History was more thorough because maybe I would have discovered the EasternOrthodox Church sooner. 
My sister is very active in her RC parish and has repeatedly invited me to visit her church.  Out of kindness I attended once (I hope that she will visit my GOA church someday).  But I must say that I was shocked at how much the RC has changed.  There was literally no images and maybe only one small statue in the church...it was soooo sterile looking.  At least when I was growing up the church I attended (granted it was quite Old World) had plenty of paintings and candles and statues and lots of incense.  What happened?? My sister says that it's only the old people" who want it back the way it used to be, ha.  But this was only minor compared to how much the Mass has "evolved?!"
  My sister says that the new Pope Benedict has been so kind and giving towards the EO Church in hopes that the 2 Churches can re-unite.  She asked me why we are so stubborn and unyielding.  Apparantly to her (and many others) their doctrine of the Immaculate Conception and Papal Infallibility should not be a "deal killer".  Yikes.
Lord have mercy,    Juliana :'(
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 03:09:09 AM »

Thank you especially to those who wish me many years.  I have been to enough Orthodox
services to hear that phrase.  First time it was specifically applied to me.

I feel I should respond to some of the discussion here. 

Thank you for your thoughts.  I have heard many, like you, say they never regretted their decision to enter the church.  This is encouraging and is good testimony.  In reference to the quote above, I feel drawn to the Orthodox Church, I wasn't really seeking it.  For me, however, I feel the need to step back and as John said (1 John 4) test the spirits.  When I converted to a Protestant church, I also feel I was being led.  Now, I feel I stepped into it too quickly without enough research.    I appreciate some Orthodox friends telling me to take my time.  The search for truth is, for me, not very fuzzy-wuzzy.  I don't expect a perfect church.  Therefore, I must compare the churches that exist.   

To Username!,  I did not join the Protestant church out of anger with Roman Catholicism (as some evangelicals do).  I am not anti-Catholic.   If my writing style offends you, I apologize.  My Internet writing tends to be as my first posting--somewhat provocative.  So, feel free to put me on "ignore." 

No no I wasn't pointing that point towards you!  I would never put you on ignore nor anyone else. 

To Trifecta and her spiritual journey towards Orthodoxy, Mnohaya Blahaya Lita!
Vo stravejy vo spasenejy Mnohaya Blahaya Lita. 

What books did your priest recommend reading?  Not saying one part of the Liturgical year is better than another, but I think starting your journey during Lent is going to be a rewarding one.  Especially when Holy Week and Pascha roll around, you'll get to see and learn SO much. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 03:10:20 AM by username! » Logged

Thomas
Archon

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 11:10:01 AM »

Dear Friends,

Just a reminder that discussions about the Liturgy or Roman Catholicism  both have their own forums. Please feel free to post there for those discussions.  The purpose of this forum is:

" to provide a a place on the OC.Net where inquirers, catechumen, and newly converted could ask their questions about the Orthodox Faith in a safe and supportive forum without retribution or recrimination. Many of those posting in this area are ignorant of Orthodox teachings and are using this forum to understand what are the basic teachings and practices of the Orthodox churches. Due to the simplicity of many of their requests and responses, direct and simple answers with sources if possible are most helpful."

Trifecta's  topic is appropriate to this forum as a discussion of why one would join the Orthodox Church.

In Christ,
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 11:10:33 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Cuban

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Diocese of Venezuela, Mexico, Central America and Caribbean Islands

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 03:54:53 PM »

When it actually comes down to it though, there are no Top 10 reasons that you weigh up in your decision for conversion.  You are just going to know this is the place for you.  There is a peace that comes from the Holy Spirit which just says 'yes, God is leading me here and this is the right decision'.  

This is exactly my same point. And my own experience.

My journey was like that: first, atheist - second, occultist -third, protestant - fourth, Roman catholic, and in the end, just coming back with Mother.

I feel just like that, like being with a mum. is not "top ten  reasons", because Theology is made primarily with the heart, where the divine uncreated energies of the Pantodynamos make the Divinization. I can say as a testimony that in just two weeks that I have as a convert, God has sanctified my body in a way that could never been made neither within Protestantism nor in Roman Church.

I am just a newbie, a rooky. I don´t even understand the Liturgy. But I feel that the Pneuma Agion of the Holy fathers is working inside me, "pneumatizing" everything (soma, pneuma, psychí), and the experience is wonderful.

Is a lack of fear and an experience of holy unification with the ONE who is AGNOSTWS in essence, and AGAPH in energy.

May all of us experience this power, which is the secret, I think of Orthodoxy, whith her Cosmology of the Glorious Body being renovated day by day within us.

AGIOS; AGIOS, AGIOS,
O KURIOS THEOS O PANTOKRATOR
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 09:53:59 PM »

Username, 
I do agree that there are a number of converts to Orthodoxy (who were former RCs) that complain about the the Roman Catholic Church.  I also grew up RC and attended Catholic highschool and I am very grateful to my parents for sending me and my siblings there (six kids, ouch...expensive). I just wish that the curriculum on Church History was more thorough because maybe I would have discovered the EasternOrthodox Church sooner. 
My sister is very active in her RC parish and has repeatedly invited me to visit her church.  Out of kindness I attended once (I hope that she will visit my GOA church someday).  But I must say that I was shocked at how much the RC has changed.  There was literally no images and maybe only one small statue in the church...it was soooo sterile looking.  At least when I was growing up the church I attended (granted it was quite Old World) had plenty of paintings and candles and statues and lots of incense.  What happened?? My sister says that it's only the old people" who want it back the way it used to be, ha.  But this was only minor compared to how much the Mass has "evolved?!"
  My sister says that the new Pope Benedict has been so kind and giving towards the EO Church in hopes that the 2 Churches can re-unite.  She asked me why we are so stubborn and unyielding.  Apparantly to her (and many others) their doctrine of the Immaculate Conception and Papal Infallibility should not be a "deal killer".  Yikes.
Lord have mercy,    Juliana :'(

Amen!  Grin

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2007, 01:16:17 AM »

And another refute, the Roman Catholic church is apostolic, keep that in mind.   
The Orthodox and Roman Catholics have more in common than meets the eye, remember the Roman Catholic Church is the Church of Rome.

Nice post. It's also the apostolic origin of the Orthodox churches that earns my love and respect for them as true churches with true sacraments.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2007, 01:31:50 AM »

Username, 

It's the onslaught of a disastrous iconoclasm. Thankfully, I can say that it was by no means complete and has been checked in more recent years, with the beginnings of a reversal in progress---but the struggles will continue for probably several more generations.

Of course, the East had its bout with iconoclasm quite a while ago. What a disaster that was, but the East recovered.

Regarding what your friend said, she's mistaken in believing only "old people" want the images and traditional liturgical and devotional practices. It's actually younger people, the "John Paul II generation," that desire this more. And not just among the laity---younger clergy as well. The traditional Latin masses (and reverent Novus Ordo masses) tend to be filled with large families. I've seen it from personal experience. Traditional orders and traditional dioceses are flourishing. And the liturgical conditions in the booming developing world are markedly better than those seen in your average suburban American parish (thanks to liberal gray-haired American bishops).

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2007, 01:46:14 AM »

Regarding what your friend said, she's mistaken in believing only "old people" want the images and traditional liturgical and devotional practices. It's actually younger people, the "John Paul II generation," that desire this more. And not just among the laity---younger clergy as well. The traditional Latin masses (and reverent Novus Ordo masses) tend to be filled with large families. I've seen it from personal experience. Traditional orders and traditional dioceses are flourishing. And the liturgical conditions in the booming developing world are markedly better than those seen in your average suburban American parish (thanks to liberal gray-haired American bishops).

Well, my choir director was RC for the first half of his life.  He's said a few times, that a few of us men in the choir should hire ourselves our to a local Catholic cathedral (for at least $500) on Good Friday...but not this year of course. 
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2007, 01:56:40 AM »

It's quite sad---all the incredible sacred music the Catholic Church has produced over the centuries, some of the most beautiful music ever to reach the ear and enrich the soul, and many people don't hear it at mass, for which it was composed---they hear it on CD. The iconoclasm extended far beyond Church art and architecture.

If you and your fellow men can do some Gregorian chant or sacred polyphony, definitely advertise your services with the cathedral. I'm planning to join a schola here in Boston soon (once I free up available time).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 01:57:41 AM by lubeltri » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: