OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 05:21:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bible Teaching...  (Read 2281 times) Average Rating: 0
Sick Canary

I'm a llama!

« on: October 21, 2002, 10:59:17 AM »

What are the best Orthodox bible teaching resources you have found?  

Thanks in advance,

The Sick Canary

NULL
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2002, 11:41:21 AM »

[What are the best Orthodox bible teaching resources you have found? ]

To begin with you should get yourself a copy of 'The Orthodox Study Bile - New Testament and Psalms.'

Also check out the following site -

http://aggreen.net/bible/biblstdy.html

Orthodoc

« Last Edit: October 21, 2002, 11:53:48 AM by Orthodoc » Logged

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2002, 11:49:14 AM »

What do you think is the best way to study the old testament?

Bobby
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2002, 12:13:28 PM »

[What do you think is the best way to study the old testament?]

The same group of Orthodox Catholic schoars and theologias that gave us the Orthodox Study Bile containg the New Testament & the books of Psalms is currently working on the 'Old Testament'.  It will probably be out within the next two years.

In the mean time, I would suggest you contact either (or both)  St Vlad's or St Tikhon's and inquire about correspondence courses available on the 'Old Testament'.

Orthodoc

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2002, 01:06:00 PM »

The best way to learn the Old Testament is to actually read it! :-)

Tarazi's books are a good intoduction to the themes but they are HEAVILY into the critical method which a) helps people understand the way the bible came into being and helps us answer sceptics that show us inconsistencies in the Scriptures but which b) is totally theoretical and c) can be faith-destroying if not studied at the same time with the narrative and homiletic approaches.

Plus, Vol 1 of Tarazi's book is out of print as it is now being revised.  You might be able to get it at light and life, but I wouldn't suggest it since it is being completely re-written.  Better to get it through interlibrary loan.

In Christ,

anastasios
(studying at St. Vladimir's)

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Sick Canary

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2002, 03:23:21 PM »

What do you think is the best way to study the old testament?

Bobby

I have two ideas about the best way to study the Old Testament.  The first I call the "need to know basis" approach.  The second I call the "holy bard" approach.

The first would take the Divine services of the Orthodox Church and the scriptures of the new testament.  Identify every place where the OT is referenced by the New and the by the Services.  Try to have the basic idea of each of those stories and references so that you know why the NT references teh OT and how the OT is fulfilled by it.   (One little example, when we see the Pentecost icon for instance you also see Mt. Sinai and the two tablets coming down with Moses.  Giving of the Law being the first Pentecost day for the Jews-birth of Israel as a nation-Pentecost being birth of the Church)  So sinai is "need to know basis" for Pentecost.  Similarly, Exodus 12 is Need to know basis for the last supper as the NT refers to the Lord as "Our Passover"  Sometimes teh NT implies a reference (as in Pentecost but the Church picks it up in the vespers readings for the feast) and sometimes it makes it explicitly.

The second approach is the Holy Bard approach.  This is get oneself trained to the point where you can sit down and tell me the story of the OT in one sitting.  How long is your version?  20 minutes 1hour, 3 hours?  If one really has the skeletal structure of the OT in place, all the appropriate stories will hang off of it much better.  Tell the story of Abraham.  Tell the story of Joseph.  Tell the story of Elijah etc.  Get out a tape recorder and actually try to force yourself to tell the story.  It quickly reveals how little we know.

NULL
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2002, 11:12:26 PM »

In the mean time, I would suggest you contact either (or both)  St Vlad's or St Tikhon's and inquire about correspondence courses available on the 'Old Testament'.

Orthodoc

I'd like more information on this.  I didn't know either of these seminaries offered correspondence courses.  I'd be interested in finding out more about these.  Anyone got any leads?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2002, 11:39:04 PM »

DIdn't know it either.

I do know that the Antiochians have a correspondence course for previous clergy->priests. From what I hear though, it is quite the course load.

Bobby
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2002, 10:22:19 AM »

[I'd like more information on this.  I didn't know either of these seminaries offered correspondence courses.  I'd be interested in finding out more about these.  Anyone got any leads?]

Perhaps Anastasios can get the info from St Vlad's for you.  As far as far as St Tikhon's is concerned, I would suggest that you contact them (web site provided) and ask about their new computerized distant learning program.You can access the following St Tikhon's site -

http://www.stots.edu/

Distance Learning and Extension Studies

St Tikhon's Distance Learning and Extension Studies Program is designed for motivated and self-starting adult learners who wish to enroll in an Orthodox program of directed pre-theological or theological studies on a postsecondary undergraduate or graduate level, for academic credit or for personal spiritual enrichment

ProgramsComputer-Based Distance Learning

Responding to the need to provide theological education outreach to non-traditional students, St TikhonÆs Seminary has launched a major new initiative for the extended learning community. When fully implemented, St TikhonÆs new Distance Learning program will permit students who cannot enroll in a traditional residential theological learning program to productively participate in a comprehensive distance learning program via the Internet.Asynchronous computer-based instruction is designed to augment existing residential course offerings, while ensuring that the academic, personal, spiritual and professional formative outcomes remain the same as with our traditional residential programs of study.á Academic credit is offered to eligible participants. Extension Studies for Clergy And LaityThrough its courses in Extension Studies, the Seminary reaches beyond traditional Seminary education, offering participants an opportunity to become part of an active theological learning and teaching community, and to explore how religious faith relates to concerns of daily living.á Continuing education units are offered to eligible participants (10 hours = 1 CEU).    

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2002, 10:36:10 AM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Holy Trinity Theological Orthodox School has one of these programs as well. Their entry program starts with the Sacred History of the Old Testament. Their website is http://www.holytrinitymission.org. God Bless!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2002, 12:42:45 PM »

What are the best Orthodox bible teaching resources you have found?]

You might also want to consider a book called 'The Law of God' for Study at Home and School.  The first English edition was published by Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY where it can be obtained.  The book is a little expensive but will worth the price.  I have it, and highly recommend it.  

The book is divided into five parts.  Part III deals with THE SACRED HISTORY OF THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENTS - Introduction to the Sacred History of the Old and New Testament which gives the Orthodox Catholic account of the stories contained.

In addition to Part III, the book has -

Part I - Bascic Concepts (of Orthodoxy)
Part II - Prayers
Part IV - Christian Faith and Life
Par V - The Divine Services of the Orthodox Church

It can also be obtained  on line from Light N Life Publishing -

www.light-n-life.com

Law of God: For Study At Home and School by Seraphim Slobodskoy$ 59.95HardboundItem No: LAWO100

Now for the first time in English, one of the most complete Orthodox catechisms ever compiled. Designed to nurture souls in a true Orthodox Christian spirit. Gives children and adults an intellectual foundation of support for their faith. The compilation is based on twenty-three Russian works. Translated from the Russian. Illustrated (B&W).
635 pages.        

theodore

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2002, 01:04:12 PM »

DIdn't know it either.

I do know that the Antiochians have a correspondence course for previous clergy->priests. From what I hear though, it is quite the course load.

Bobby

Check out the following link from the Antiochian Web site.  The St. Stephens course is not limited to clergy, (I know women who have taken it).  http://www.antiochian.org/Education/ahs_top.htm

Theodore
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 12:32:19 AM »

Nevermind

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
Tags: Bible 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: