OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 01:45:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When English Services Become a Neccessity  (Read 2536 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: February 14, 2007, 10:46:34 AM »

Nektarios would be proud of me!
At a meeting of the Blue Mountains Greek Community Association last night, the discussion came up again about establishing an Orthodox Parish here in the Blue Mountains, as we only have a Monastery, and therefore cannot have our Christenings, Baptisms, Funerals, etc up here.
The main problem is that there are not enough Greek families to support a Greek Orthodox Church.
Then I piped up, and said: "What if it was an English Speaking Parish? Couldn't we then get support from Orthodox Residents of the Blue Mountains who are not Greek?" I could hardly believe that I was saying it! I must have been speaking in tongues! Wink
The proposal was passed, and today we submitted an ad in the local paper requesting expressions of interest, and posted one on The Orthodox Billabong.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 10:55:17 AM »

Nektarios would be proud of me!
At a meeting of the Blue Mountains Greek Community Association last night, the discussion came up again about establishing an Orthodox Parish here in the Blue Mountains, as we only have a Monastery, and therefore cannot have our Christenings, Baptisms, Funerals, etc up here.
The main problem is that there are not enough Greek families to support a Greek Orthodox Church.
Then I piped up, and said: "What if it was an English Speaking Parish? Couldn't we then get support from Orthodox Residents of the Blue Mountains who are not Greek?" I could hardly believe that I was saying it! I must have been speaking in tongues! Wink
The proposal was passed, and today we submitted an ad in the local paper requesting expressions of interest, and posted one on The Orthodox Billabong.

Bravo, good sir.

Hopefully you guys do keep what I consider to be the true hallmarks of real Greek culture: hospitality to all, utter devotion to faith and family, and great cooking!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 11:33:23 AM »

Wonderful news indeed!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 12:06:18 PM »

Congratulations, ozgeorge. May it be blessed.

Just FYI: There are currently two Greek Orthodox Missions in the Metropolis of Detroit. Both are Pan-Orthodox in character and English-speaking. Perhaps you could talk to them about how they balance such things with their strong relationship with and sponsorship by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese.

One of the missions doesn't have a permanent priest yet (nor a Web site), but here's an article about their Greek Festival that includes some info about the Church: http://www.gtherald.com/herald/2005/jul/27greek.htm

The other mission also includes a restaurant/bookstore ministry:

Parish Web site:
http://www.stjohn.tn.goarch.org/

Restaurant/Bookstore:
http://www.alektorbooks.com/

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 12:28:37 PM »

Cool.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 02:08:16 PM »

From the site "Expressions of interest are being sought from those who would be interested in establishing an Orthodox Mission to provide English Liturgies to Residents and Visitors to the Blue Mountains of NSW"

Pictures of mountains are Not Safe for Work in Australia now?  Shocked
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 02:31:11 PM »

From the site "Expressions of interest are being sought from those who would be interested in establishing an Orthodox Mission to provide English Liturgies to Residents and Visitors to the Blue Mountains of NSW"

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"New South Wales"

(since I don't think the other NSW I know could apply at all "Naval Special Warfare" Or Naval Surface Weapons) Ah, how things get new meanings attached.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 02:33:33 PM »

Best Wishes on getting the services, George!

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 03:17:20 PM »

"What if it was an English Speaking Parish? Couldn't we then get support from Orthodox Residents of the Blue Mountains who are not Greek?" I could hardly believe that I was saying it! I must have been speaking in tongues! Wink
Sounds like the work of the Holy Spirit to me.

Joseph
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 05:10:39 PM »

May God Bless the work of His Church.

We all know that His Church is not just for Greek but is for all who believe and seek His love and eternal salvation. The Greek Church understands this of course. I believe that the Greek Church is big enough and blessed enough to embrace all nations, langauges and peoples within her. As is the whole Orthodox Church.

Language and culture is not going to get any of us to heaven. But Christ assured us that the efforts we make that turns a person to Him and His salvation will absolve a multitude of sins.

I would rather pray in the liturgy in English every Sunday in the hopes that someone (a stranger) will  enter the Church and hears the true worship of God for the first time and hear it in a language he can understand and at once believes and becomes baptised, a new child of God than have the same person enter the Church and hear the liturgy (the true ancient worship of Gods people) but can not understand what he is hearing and leaves the Church to not return.

The latter to me is a diservice to God and His Church on earth.

I would rather sacrifice my whole culture and langauge; even fall out of use from my nation to be adopted and used by another nation if this would increase the work of the Church and save souls for Christ.

What won't we Give for our Lord?

It is better serve God than to embrace and protect heritage and culture.

If I was given a clear choice to take heaven and etrenity over heritage and culture I would take heaven and eternity any day.

Seems fitting that the Church starts with Pentacost where the Holy Spirit comes upon the Church in all languages. Not just Greek and Geeze (Ethiopic) or Russian or Slavic. ALL languages. It seems that the bible establishes a multi-lingual Church which is not imprisoned within the confines of the Ethiopian or Greek for example or other nationalistic languages and cultures.

This is what is wrong with Islam (for starters).

I was so happy to hear this happened.

May God keep us all for Himself. And may we all be worthy of such.

PS:
The first liturgy chanted in America in the Ethiopian Church was ALL English (with some Geeze in key points to connect the all English speaking converts to the sound of the langauge). There were virtually NO Ethiopian nationals (except mission clergy) in the USA when the Church first arrived. It was a mission to America. The mission arrived in 1949. The Church was formally established in 1959.

Most of the records, photos, papers and extensive archives are held by the Arthur Schoemberg Center for African Culture in New York City, Howard University in Washington DC, and Florida A and M. There are some extensive private collections of artifacts and papers held in private collections around the country.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 07:55:03 PM »

Just FYI: There are currently two Greek Orthodox Missions in the Metropolis of Detroit. Both are Pan-Orthodox in character and English-speaking.
Thanks for the info pensateomnia!
I'll take them to the next meeting. You know what Greeks are like- an idea is more acceptable if it's been done before!

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 08:07:25 PM »

LOL Cheesy
That's actually a photograph of "The Three Sisters" in Katoomba. It's an Aboriginal Sacred Site. Their names are "Meehni", "Wimlah", and "Gunnedoo" based on the Aboriginal Dreamtime Legend about their origin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Sisters_(Australia)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:07:50 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 01:40:37 AM »

Excellent news, George! May Jesus bless the new beginning! You initiated a wonderful project. Great!
Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 02:54:18 PM »

Good stuff George!

As your situation highlights, opening up to vernacularization isn't simply idealism, but is downright practical.  Your community's situation is definately a strong example of one form of this practicality.

I mean, why should "the Russians" alone have the representation of many of their "diaspora" dependent/legacy communities as being "semi inculturated"?  Why can't someone be under obedience to the Holy Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarch, and also such?  Down with the image of being "Greek embassies", and more with being "synodally tied to the See of Constantinople, descending from the Hellenic Christian tradition".
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 01:02:52 PM »

LOL Cheesy
That's actually a photograph of "The Three Sisters" in Katoomba. It's an Aboriginal Sacred Site. Their names are "Meehni", "Wimlah", and "Gunnedoo" based on the Aboriginal Dreamtime Legend about their origin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Sisters_(Australia)

Beautiful country you have there.

Ebor

cholmes

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 12:31:11 AM »

ozgeorge, how close are the Blue Mountains to Sutton Forest?  I have relatives there.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: