OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 05:50:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Presentation of the Lord to the Temple  (Read 4330 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: February 13, 2007, 09:22:40 PM »

Tomorrow, Feb. 14, is Presentation Day in the Armenian Church.  Actually, it starts tonight so I am going to church in a little while.  It's a nice service.

surajiype

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 01:09:46 AM »

Salpy,

In the West Syrian and Indian traditions the presentation of the Lord is celebrated
on the 2nd of Feb, again a very good service. It is i think a fixed feast
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 01:59:18 AM »

Happy Presentation Day!

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 02:34:01 AM »

Blessed feast to you, Salpy! Grin
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 10:18:16 PM »

Tomorrow, Feb. 14, is Presentation Day in the Armenian Church.  Actually, it starts tonight so I am going to church in a little while.  It's a nice service.

Blessed feast my brother!

I love this celebration. It brings so much Orthodoxy forward.

I thought we all were the same date?

Ethiopia and Egypt are together on the Feb. 16.

No matter.

I am happy for you that God has allowed you and your family to once again share in this wonderful spirit filled time; sadly only found in the Orthodox Church today.

Selaam

Fr Dcn Amde Tsion

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 11:35:11 PM »

I am happy for you that God has allowed you and your family to once again share in this wonderful spirit filled time; sadly only found in the Orthodox Church today.

Fr Dcn Amde Tsion

Is that true, that only the Orthodox celebrate it?  I just assumed the Catholics--and possibly the Anglicans--would have it too.

Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 12:55:23 PM »

Is that true, that only the Orthodox celebrate it?  I just assumed the Catholics--and possibly the Anglicans--would have it too.

I do not know any RC that would even know that the day was upon them.

Too many RC people have no connection with this day even if it is celebrated in some quiet way or remembered in the RC Church calendar. Anglican and so on are the same.

Seems to me that the western Christians are not well acquainted with the church holidays that have not digressed into the 'fanfare' of shopping, revelry, decorations and eating and so.

Christ entrance into the temple is very Holy, spiritual albeit very festive holy-day.

I guess nobody has found away to characterize this holiday into a more 'secular' activity that people can enjoy (and thus follow). Like Easter with peter cotton tail, jelly beans and Easter bonnets and looking for colored eggs and Christmas with trees, lights, flying reindeer, talking snowmen etc. Or "Valentines day" which is a real crowd pleaser (the "adult" holiday). The 34Th Street NYC flagship Victoria Secret store was packed last evening. I wonder why?

Of course not to be confused with the actual 'St. Valentine' who has nothing to do with cupids pagan arrow, red "heart" shaped pagan images and the lewd overtones of the whole brouhaha people call "Valentines day".

Have you any idea what the "heart shape" we are used to seeing is actually a shape of?  It is too lewd for this forum I assure you. You may be interested in researching it. When I found out the meaning I was shocked. Mattered not to me what it means now. I removed all these images from my home and life. I sold a "heart" shaped ring and necklace set I bought my wife and replaced it with something else.

That is just mt way of dealing with things.

I am basically trying to show that the various "churches" may observe the day but the "faithful" of these "churches" are completely unaware.

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 01:37:03 PM »

RCs call the feast "Candlemas" (due to the old practice of blessing candles on this day) where the RCC celebrates both the presentation of our Lord and the purification of His mother Mary.  It is most definitely a feast that is almost forgotten among American Catholics.  In my RC upbringing, I don't remember celebrating it in church other than it being a part of the daily service if I happened to be serving early morning Mass that day before school.  I can't remember if we even blessed candles if it happened to fall on a Sunday.

EDIT:  Of course, I go and write the above and Shawn over at the New Liturgical Movement posts these pictures of an outdoor procession from a Fraternity of St. Peter Seminary's Candlemas celebration earlier this month:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:53:12 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ebpusey

Faith: Anglican Catholic

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 05:34:38 PM »

Anglicans also celebrate this wonderful feast on the second of February.  Many of the "High Church" variety also have Candlemas processions as seen above.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 05:41:30 PM »

RCs call the feast "Candlemas" (due to the old practice of blessing candles on this day) where the RCC celebrates both the presentation of our Lord and the purification of His mother Mary.  It is most definitely a feast that is almost forgotten among American Catholics.  In my RC upbringing, I don't remember celebrating it in church other than it being a part of the daily service if I happened to be serving early morning Mass that day before school.  I can't remember if we even blessed candles if it happened to fall on a Sunday.

EDIT:  Of course, I go and write the above and Shawn over at the New Liturgical Movement posts these pictures of an outdoor procession from a Fraternity of St. Peter Seminary's Candlemas celebration earlier this month:

I used to attend a traditionalist RC parish and every year there was an amazing, but humble outdoor procession (not a huge parish), blessing of beewax candles, and everything. 

I was hoping to go to the Liturgy this morning, but alas, midterms next week have me bogged down.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Amdetsion
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 07:53:46 PM »

WOW

I am happy to see the pictures.

Very beautiful!!!

I appreciate the information. I did not know that there was a different name used by the RCC for this celebration.

I meant no harm in my post regarding RCC and Anglicans. I am always trying to convince my RC co-workers and so on to become closer to the church and follow more than the 'fun' stuff of which as I stated and you well know has too much secularism attached to it.

The pictures shows how beautiful and Holy our faith really is.

There is no clutter of decorations and folly in these pictures; just acts of Holy supplication and observance of God alone. This is what the world needs today.

I would like to attend a service to see this myself with Gods will.

Thanks much..

Fr Dcn Amde Tsion

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 07:56:06 PM »

Happy Presentation Day again!

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 08:00:59 PM »

A blessed Dyarnuntarach to our Armenian members!

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 08:03:33 PM »

Blessed feast day!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 08:07:22 PM »

I'm impressed!   Smiley

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 07:31:32 PM »

Happy Presentation Day again!

I love this feast day.   Smiley

« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:48:18 PM by Salpy » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 08:21:06 PM »

Happy Feast!  Where you been?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 08:36:23 PM »

Where you been?

Still gone.  It's a resurrected thread.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 08:40:56 PM »

I miss him too.  I hope he's OK.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 08:49:36 PM »

I miss him too.  I hope he's OK.

I was worried about this as well, so I just called the number of the parish that he has listed in his profile. Fr. Michael answered, and he said that Αριστοκλής is ok. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:49:57 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
geovar

Jurisdiction: Indian Orthodox Church

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 10:39:28 AM »

Dyarnuntarach - Thanks for teaching me a new word . With the Feast. In the Indian Church the feast is celebrated on February 2 . A good read for reflection that I found was by Tenny Thomas at his blog

http://thomastheconfessor.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 10:40:29 AM by geovar » Logged
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 11:43:03 AM »

Thank you for the link, and welcome to the forum!   Smiley

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 02:36:06 AM »

Happy Dyarnuntarach again, everyone.   Smiley

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 12:03:03 AM »

Here's a video in Armenian about the holy day, showing the Old Country customs associated with it.  Early in the video there are young girls in traditional costumes making food.  Toward the end of the video you see the bonfire that people traditionally burn on that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKQHTx1qnaA&feature=endscreen
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:03:19 AM by Salpy » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 12:52:31 AM »

Here's a video in Armenian about the holy day, showing the Old Country customs associated with it.  Early in the video there are young girls in traditional costumes making food.  Toward the end of the video you see the bonfire that people traditionally burn on that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKQHTx1qnaA&feature=endscreen
I wonder if it is connected with the fire jumping on Nowruz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQiBnM0JuYE

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 01:09:07 AM »

Probably.  As you know, both Persians and Armenians were Zoroastrians back in the old pagan days.  Fire was important and I've heard it said that the bonfires and the custom of jumping over them (considered good luck) is a pagan tradition that was kept.  In the Armenian tradition it is considered especially good luck for newly married couples to jump over the bonfire.

Of course the Church "baptized" it with Christian meaning.  The bonfire came to be done on Presentation Day and it is lit with a candle from the altar after an evening prayer service in the church.  I think the fire is supposed to represent the Holy Spirit now.

It's kind of like people splashing each other with water on Transfiguration Day.  In the old pagan days, the water was associated with a pagan holiday called Vartavar.  After Armenia became a Christian nation, no one wanted to stop celebrating Vartavar, so the Church took the customs associated with it and made them a part of the Transfiguration Day celebrations.  To this day, people like to douse each other with water on that day, and Transfiguration Day is often referred to as Vartavar, even though that's a pagan holiday and not the proper Christian term for it.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »

Fr Dcn Amde Tsion

You are correct. It is a common feast, although it's become en vogue in Western churches to transfer the feast from the day to the Sunday nearest. Kind of sad, I think.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 04:03:38 PM »

February 3, IIRC, is also the feast of St. Blaise, the martyr bishop (who was, I think, an Armenian). In the ancient Orthodox West (and still today in traditional liturgical churches), it was common to bless throats with the candles blessed on Candlemass, since St. Blaise was the patron of throats--a good one to have for the winter cold season.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 07:40:39 PM »

February 3, IIRC, is also the feast of St. Blaise, the martyr bishop (who was, I think, an Armenian). In the ancient Orthodox West (and still today in traditional liturgical churches), it was common to bless throats with the candles blessed on Candlemass, since St. Blaise was the patron of throats--a good one to have for the winter cold season.
Thats what we did on St. Blaise's day. Pretty neat Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 03:15:36 AM »

Happy Presentation Day!   Smiley

Tags: Presentation of the Lord Candlemas 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: