Author Topic: Can miaphysitism a do dyophysitism be reconciled?  (Read 735 times)

Offline Deacon Lance

• Archon
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
Can miaphysitism a do dyophysitism be reconciled?
« on: February 27, 2015, 09:50:33 PM »
Can we agree that while using different terms/theological schools we really believe the same thing?  If so what do we do with the anathemas of the past?
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • OC.net guru
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Can miaphysitism a do dyophysitism be reconciled?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 11:06:44 PM »
I believe they can be.  Specifically by saying that Cyril and the Miaphysites are referring to the hypostasis of Christ, and that in recognizing the distinction but not separation of the humanity and divinity of Christ they are in fact confessing the same faith but with different terminology. 

Reconciling the Assyrian Church of the East is harder but Mar Dinkha IV on his accession repudiated the worst parts of it, and I admire him for it.  But I believe there are hardliners, particularly in the breakaway Ancient Church of the East.  But in my proposed Grand Solution, I think we can reunite with the Assyrians by rehabilitating the person, but not the horrible Christology, of Theodore of Mopsuestia, on the grounds of his great virtue, his obedience to the church in his lifetime, and his friendship with John Chrysostom.   The anathema would be redirected at Diodore and Theodoret who taught him and expounded upon him respectively, and who were more responsible for leading Nestorius astray IMO.  So if we throw the Assyrians the bone of Theodore no longer being anathematized in his person, but merely being declared in error on Christological matters. This should be enough I think to make them forget about Nestorius and join in with the church.  I could be wrong.  A engineered schism though by which those still loyal to Nestorius would be assigned to the Ancient Church of the East with reconciliation to be attempted at a later date might work.

As for the Oriental and Eastern Orthodox, I believe that the compatibility of their faith is witnessed by the similarity in worship, and the fact that both communions use icons, and indeed the Orientals have never embraced iconoclasm to the extent it was embraced in Constantinople; there was a minor outbreak IIRC in Eastern Armenia which the Catholicos quickly moved to suppress, in the sixth century.  If you read the Armenian liturgy furthermore it is almost identical to the Byzantine one. The Coptic and Syriac Rites are a little different, but still recognizably of common origin.  In particular the service of Holy Unction used by the Copts and the Byzantines is strikingly similiar; I believe both preserve portions of an ancient unified rite that is one of the oldest in the church, but in their present, mildly differentiated forms, are equally exquisite.

There was an outbreak of crypto Nestorianism following Chalcedon, largely in the Western Empire.  The Fifth Ecumenical Council was designed to correct this, and reconcile the Oriental Orthodox, but politics made such a reconciliation impossible at that time.  The post-Chalcedonian misinterpretation of Chalcedon as a license to re-embrace Nestorianism though is attested by the Three Chapters Controversy, which IMO in turn validates the concerns of the Oriental Orthodox.   But there was a need to make clear after the scandal caused by Eutyches,,who villainously deceived Pope Dioscorus, the distinction but not the separation of the humanity and divinity.  To separate them is to Nestoranize; to assert their distinction in unity is Orthodox.  Both Orientals and Easterns confess that the two parties confess one Christ, fully human and divine, without confusion, division or separation.  The Assyrians also essentially confess this; there's almost no trace of the grotesque duo hypostatic Christology in their liturgy.  The only problem is they're convinced Cyril was evil and Nestorius was a confessor, and this ignores some of the evil things Nestorius did as Patriarch before going off on the whole Christotokos thing that brought him down.   There is also their hesitancy to say "Theotokos" but I do believe appeal to unity due to the HORRORS, the profound and terrible evil of the wicked men of ISIL, who kill Antiochians, Syriac Orthodox, Assyrians, Chaldeans, Melkites and Syriac Catholics, and indeed Copts, without distinctions, is enough to cause them to be willing to unite in holy communion, but if we threw them a bone like rehabilitating Theodore of Mopsuestia, who was close friends with John Chrysostom, I think that would grease the wheels a bit to make it happen.

By the way, IMO the failure of Pope Leo I to prevent the Nestorian and Chalcedonian schisms is a convincing indictment of Papal Infallibility, which Deacon Lance, lamentably separates you from the Orthodox.  If Leo were infallible he could have stopped these schisms; the manner in which his Tome appears to contradict  Cyril, though doubtless accidental, did fuel the flames of the schism.

By the way, in an attempt to comply with the forum rules regarding discussion of Chalcedon, I have omitted referring to anyone as Saint or Mar/Mor or I believe as a heretic in this thread even in cases where I think we all agree as to their sainthood (e.g. John Chrysostom).  Salpy or any other mods who read this, if I have misread the rules and failed to properly comply with the requirements regarding the veneration of saints and the avoidance of polemics in discussions of Chalcedon, I want to apologize in advance, and beg you to PM me my error so I can edit the post to make it right Id the mistake was serious enough.

I love the Eastern Orthodox, the Oriental Orthodox and the Assyrians.  I also love the Catholocs and the continuing conservative Anglicans and Old Catholics, and the dogmatically orthodox Episcopi Vagantes.  I wish we could all be in communion. 

I have fantasizes about abducting all the patriarchs to a secret underground base on the island of Niihau in Hawaii, which I would lease from Mr. Robinson for this purpose, and replacing them with robotic duplicates, who would then convene an ecumenical council.  Voice actors would converse daily with the captive patriarchs and then impersonate them by providing the voice for the robots.  Then after a couple of years of luxurious island living, the abducted Patriarchs would be released back into the world and their robotic duplicates confined to the scrap heap, and being the holy men that they are, could then judge if the restoration of communion was working and if it wasn't, suppress it.  I would then submit myself to them and allow them to terminate my life if they felt I deserved it.  A high risk strategy.  Unfortunately I'm not a James Bond villain, so I suspect we will have to work things out the old fashioned way as Christians.   :P

Note the preceding paragraph is a joke and I would. In fact sacrifice my life to prevent anyone from committing sacrilege by laying hands on any Patriarch of an autocephalous church, even one who I disagree with like Pope Francis.

Online Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Semi-Evangelical
  • Jurisdiction: Might become Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 01:06:25 AM »
I'm pretty sure Diodore is also a Saint to the Assyrians, though.

It seems to me that "one nature with the attributes of both God and man," is essentially a tertium quid or else "uniting with confusion.

I would also be afraid that if union were to happen, all of Athos would go into schism. I'm far from a "monks are the only true leaders of the Church" type but if so many holy people are united in their conviction that miaphysitism can not be reconciled, I don't know if I can contradict them.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 01:10:37 AM by Volnutt »
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Offline wgw

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 06:42:07 AM »
Well I think the reconciliation of miaphysitism would be both/and to avoid an Athonite schism.  In other words, the Oriental Orthodox would affirm Chalcedon on the basis of the Fifth Ecumenical Council with the understanding that the one nature of spoken of by Cyril is the single hypostasis of Christ, Nestorianism is believing in two hypostases, and there was a linguistics confusion due to the ambiguity of the word physis.  But the unifying element is the single hypostasis,,and the distinction is is subhypostatic.  As long as physis is agreed upon not to refer to the hypostasis or singular, fundamental nature but rather to the subhypostatic primary attributes it should work.   Thus the main Athonite objection, which centers around rejection of the councils, would be ignored.  An exchange program between Athonite monks and St. Anthony's monastery could further pacify things, as in this manner, having effectively destroyed the Chalcedonian schism by showing that the word physis was not being used to refer to the same thing, thus enabling the Oriental Orthodox to agree with it, any difference of faith would be gone.

There remains one liturgical sticking point, that being the Theopaschite Clause in the Trisagion.  But this form of the Trisagion was from what I understand anathematized because the Byzamtines thought that the Oriental Orthodox has gone beyond Monophysitism (which they never believed) into Sabellianism by auggesting the Trinity was crucified, but in fact, the Theopaschite Trisagion is not Trinitarian but Christological, like the Russian Old Orthodox way of making the sign of the cross.  And if we can let the Edinovertsy make a Christological sign of the cross, then surely we can let the Oriental Orthodox sing a Christological Trisagion.

By the way, I am not happy about the way the monks of Esphigmonou have been treated.  I suggest that one thing the OO could do right now to help bridge the gap is offer the Esphigmonou monks, if they are evicted, a free gift in the form of one of the underutilized monasteries in the OO region.  I recall seeing a photograph of a beautiful abandoned monastery in Armenia that would make a safe home for the Esphigmonou monks. And such a Christian gesture might go along way to selling the other Athonites.

For my part though I'm most interested in the restoration of communion between the immediate neighboring churches such as Alexandria, Jerusalem and Antioch, and for that matter, Georgia, with the Oriental Orthodox.  In this manner tensions with ROCOR and Athos could be avoided, because the Ecumenical Patriarch could simply retain the status quo, as could Moscow.  The benefits of communion are most relevant in the Middle East where all the Orthodox are fighting an uphill battle for survival.  Elsewhere it really doesn't matter as much if say, Romania and Ethiopia aren't in communion.   It would be nice if they were, but creating more schisms is undesirable.  That said I honestly believe most Eastern Orthodox are for reconciliation and those opposed are a vocal Minority, albeit a Minority that should not be ignored nor persecuted.

As an aside, I would not be opposed to making Mount Athos an entirely sovereign nation and an autocephalous church, similiar to the church of Sinai but completely independent.  Nor would I support it; the Athonite monks act as a counterweight to left wing bishops in the Ecumenical Patriarchate.  But the awful situation at Esphigmonou suggests the need for some change.

Online Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 06:54:37 AM »
Interesting proposals. Thanks.

I agree, regarding Esphigmenou.
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Offline wgw

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 07:01:21 AM »
By the way sorry for the typo.  My iPad Air thinks it has an o where there should be an e.  It also,wants to capitalize United every time Imtype it; I guess it thinks I'm talking about the airline ("Come Fly the Friendly Skies") or the British football club from Manchester.   Blah, soccer/football is not for me.  Airlines though. Well,,I'm,an aviation buff. But my iPad doesn't capitalize delta, twa, continental, northwest or any of my other favorite airlines (of,course only AA, United and Delta are left among the US network carriers).  My iPad also wants to capitalize Union which is equally annoying.

Online Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 07:25:19 AM »
No problem. Didn't even notice.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "In those days I will pour out my Spirit..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 02:14:31 PM »
I would also be afraid that if union were to happen, all of Athos would go into schism. I'm far from a "monks are the only true leaders of the Church" type but if so many holy people are united in their conviction that miaphysitism can not be reconciled, I don't know if I can contradict them.

Is their universal acceptance of the Third Ecumenical Council equally convincing to you? 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Online Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 07:05:39 PM »

Is their universal acceptance of the Third Ecumenical Council equally convincing to you?

Of course it is. If you're talking about that other thread, I was just talking out of my hat because I'm so depressed with the whole Marian thing.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "In those days I will pour out my Spirit..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 07:30:07 PM »

Of course it is. If you're talking about that other thread, I was just talking out of my hat because I'm so depressed with the whole Marian thing.

Depressed?  What on earth for?
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Online Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 07:38:12 PM »

Depressed?  What on earth for?

Depressed that I'm having to chose between sentiments that are very difficult for me to reconcile with my conscience and all the points where I'm convinced of Orthodoxy.

I've come to a point in my life where it's pretty much "Orthodoxy (maybe Catholicism) or atheism" and the later was a pretty dry road for me. Theological points that for most are rather abstract have always been intensely personal for me, I guess it's just how I'm wired.

Offline wgw

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 08:20:50 PM »
Being depressed isn't going to help you find God.  Try saying the Jesus Prayer, reading the Psalter or the Sayings of the Desert Fathers, or maybe read the Life of St. Anthony.  Yes, the schisms between the four ancient apostolic churches (the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox, the Roman Catholics and the Assyrian Church of the East, which has its own mini schism inside) are frustrating and depressing in the extreme.  But I don't think its the case of Pick the Wrong One and Go to...   I personally will on the basis of our Lords Assurance that the gates of Hell would not prevail against His church entirely reject any ecclesiological interpretation that involves mass damnation of the majority of Christians.  Now that's just me.  I also believe with the same vigor that the Orthodox, Eastern and Oriental, have preserved the ancient faith in its fullness and are best equipped to offer spiritual nourishment.

I could never be an atheist because I love the liturgy so much.  I couldn't be a Baha'i, a Muslim or a Mormon either because their worship is boring.  The ancient liturgy you find in the Eastern churches or in a Catholic Latin mass or some high church Anglican parishes is where one can meet God.  But of all of these the Orthodox liturgies have the most intensity, and offer the most freedom to encounter God.  This is why you must make haste to an Orthodox parish so you can encounter the Divine Liturgy.  It is there, in the Liturgy, where our faith is.  Lex orandi, lex credendi.  The law of prayer is the law of belief.  And my conviction in a glorious reconciliation of the four ancient apostolic churches is rooted in the similarity of our liturgy and worship practices.

Lastly, though this is off topic, I firmly believe in God; I used to wonder, and occasionally struggle with doubt, but three things sold me: witnessing and indeed even experiencing absolute evil, not just people doing bad things with good intentions, but pure evil, and one only needs to look at ISIS, which just killed 21 Copts and is probably making ready to slaughter in the most dramatic and horrible way the 150 Syriacs they just captured, to see that pure evil exists.  And if pure evil exists, then so does pure good, which is God.  Secondly, encountering God in the liturgy convinced me of His existence.  Finally, thirdly, experiencing miracles connected to the liturgy and to prayer, not very many, and nothing spectacular, but enough to convince me personally that God exists.  My only concern is repenring of my sins, not falling into prelest or delusion, and trying to do a better job serving him, and in Lent this is the time with our glorious Fast we clean ourselves up and wash away the dirt of sin so that we can celebrate the Pascha.   Make haste to Church, my brother, and there I promise you you will in the Divine Liturgy if you enter the temple with fear and humility, find the love of God.

Online Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 10:13:28 PM »
We think similarly on a lot of those points. Thanks, I'll keep trying :)

I'll go to Divine Liturgy tomorrow if I don't chicken out again (my mom is rather anti-Catholic and I don't want to upset her when she asks where I'm going, that's the primary reason I've been so hesitant).

Offline wgw

• OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 10:36:01 PM »
Well since you're not going to a Catholic Church she has nothing to,worry about.

Online Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 10:37:57 PM »
Well since you're not going to a Catholic Church she has nothing to,worry about.

It has the same things she hates about Catholicism- confession and veneration of saints. I'll try to smooth things over. I'm probably just dreading confrontation like the beta male I am.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:01:45 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 11:05:18 PM »
Miaphysitism is approved in the third and fifth ecumenical councils. What makes you think the monks of Athos wouldn't accept it?

Offline wgw

• OC.net guru
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 11:35:59 PM »
Where does the fifth ecumenical council explicitly approve of miaphysitism?

Also, there still is the problem of the Christological Trisagion attributed to Peter Fullo, but I believe it to be easily resolvable, as mentioned above.

But this is just my view as a layman.  One of the priests of the British Orthodox Church which is,under,Coptic jurisdiction wrote a book entitled Orthodox Christology, which I have, which outlines the Miaphysite stance and the current status of,reconciliation efforts in great detail.

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 09:48:26 AM »
Where does the fifth ecumenical council explicitly approve of miaphysitism?

In the 8th anathema, it expounds the orthodox understanding of the formula "mia physis". A similar passage can be found later in St. John Damascene's Exact Exposition of the Orthodox Faith. The whole purpose of the council was to 'reconcile' miaphysitism and diophysitism. Also, the council of Chalcedon implicitly approves the "mia physis" formula since it claims St. Cyril for itself.

Offline Cavaradossi

• 法網恢恢,疏而不漏
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 09:54:16 AM »
Miaphysitism is approved in the third and fifth ecumenical councils. What makes you think the monks of Athos wouldn't accept it?

The corresponding rejection of "in two natures".
Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 11:37:40 AM »
People in real life don't even consider those Christological terms - after all it is just opinions posted on the Internetz.

Offline wgw

• OC.net guru
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 02:33:39 PM »
So on that basis it seems to me there should be no obstacles to an immediate restoration of communion.  I read somewhere that in the early 19th century the Copts and Greek Orthodox of Alexandria tried to merge into a single church but the Ottoman Khedive of Whypt rejected it.  I'm not sure how accurate that was, but one can now clearly grasp a workable thrology of full reconciliation.  This is what Fr. Romanides was doubtless talking about after the first highly successful dialogue between Eastern and Oriental Orthodox.  Things with understand slowed down at the next meeting with the idea of reconciliation on the basis of the first three councils only. 

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 03:12:18 PM »

Well, that ball is in the OO court. I haven't seen any categorical rejections of "in two natures" from the current leadership of any of their churches. The position of the 5th ecumenical council is that both formulas are orthodox if rightly understood.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 06:57:07 PM »

Well, that ball is in the OO court. I haven't seen any categorical rejections of "in two natures" from the current leadership of any of their churches. The position of the 5th ecumenical council is that both formulas are orthodox if rightly understood.

Arguably, the ball is in the EO court, since so many EO's seem to feel that "of two natures" is unacceptable despite what was said in Constantinople II.  Also, there are many EO's who insist that the OO's have to accept all seven (or eight or nine) of their councils before there can be a reestablishment of Communion, which, of course, the OO's don't feel should be necessary, and for a number of reasons would be objectionable.

We need to find some other way.   :)

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Partisan Pro-Chalcedonian Fanatic
  • Protokentarchos
  • St. John the Merciful
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 07:45:16 PM »

Arguably, the ball is in the EO court, since so many EO's seem to feel that "of two natures" is unacceptable despite what was said in Constantinople II.  Also, there are many EO's who insist that the OO's have to accept all seven (or eight or nine) of their councils before there can be a reestablishment of Communion, which, of course, the OO's don't feel should be necessary, and for a number of reasons would be objectionable.

We need to find some other way.   :)

I think all that's necessary is that the OO accept the orthodoxy of said councils. I wouldn't think they have to accept them in all dogmatic particulars. Accepting the orthodoxy of those councils isn't the same as accepting the councils themselves.

Otherwise, there is no other way. You cannot expect the EO to get rid of the ecumenical councils from 451-787. After said orthodoxy is recognized, the ecumenical councils of 451-787 should be seen as regional councils within the Byzantine realm in the same way the Council of Carthage (393) or Jerusalem (1672) are.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 07:48:19 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (4/6/2015)

Glory to Jesus Christ!

قدوس لله قدوس القوي قدوس الذي لا يموت ارحمنا

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 08:06:03 PM »
I've never heard any OO say that they would want the EO's to get rid of their fourth through seventh (or eighth or ninth) councils.  We just don't want to have to accept them.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 10:43:30 PM »
Are there things in Counsels 5-7 that OO find objectionable?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:43:50 PM by TheTrisagion »
Will we all have to prove our Orthodoxy by adopting St Nicholas avatars now?

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 11:21:14 PM »
Mostly the anathemas against OO saints.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 11:22:53 PM by Salpy »

Online Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 11:29:52 PM »
People in real life don't even consider those Christological terms - after all it is just opinions posted on the Internetz.

It's not just on the internet. Millions of people say anathemas and creedal formulas based on these events every year and ever week. This issues all took place long before the internet.

And for your information, I was thinking and reading about Christology long before I joined the internet.

Offline CharalambisMakarios

• Faith: Protestant Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Considering Orthodoxy
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 02:16:11 PM »
I wish you the best in finding your way, Volnutt. As someone in a similar position, I feel your pain. As for the forum topic, I think the proposals offered thus far seem reasonable.

Online Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 06:44:15 PM »