Author Topic: Canonization of Genocide Martyrs to take place before April 24  (Read 276 times)

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
Canonization of Genocide Martyrs to take place before April 24
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:33:14 PM »
The canonization of innocent victims of the Armenian Genocide as saints by the Armenian Apostolic Church is in its final stage. This is what Head of the Conceptual Issues Office of the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin, Bishop Bagrat Galstanyan said in an interview with “ArmenPress”. “The committee created for canonization has prepared very well for that. We have reached the final stage in which we’re preparing the icons. We have received a proposal to write the canon of a psalm and create pix. The committee will be holding a meeting and will clarify the process. The goal is to have declared the saints by April 24, 2015 and not just perform a Requiem Mass for our martyrs, but also plead,” His Holiness said.

http://en.hayernaysor.am/հայոց-ցեղասպանության-անմեղ-զոհերը-սր/

Offline Severian

• Aspiring Allopathic Ankle Orthodontist
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth
    • St. Jacob Baradeus' Orthodox Christian Fellowship
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodoxy
Re: Canonization of Genocide Martyrs to take place before April 24
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 11:09:06 PM »
May they pray for us all. This canonization was long overdue.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:09:33 PM by Severian »
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

Remember the 21 new martyrs in your prayers.

Lord, protect Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq.

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • Elder
  • The above icon is St. Athansius. I am in need of fellowship and prayers.
    • The Least of Pilgrims Liturgical Blog
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Chrismated, in a canonical jurisdiction
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:11:24 PM »
Out of curiosity why did it take this long?  Was there a concern that the Armenian Minority still in Turkey would suffer, or were Soviet and NATO politics involving the schism between the two Catholicoi involved?
William Inge KCVO, the Dean of St. Paul's in London from 1911-1934, when asked if he was a liturgiologist replied, “No. Nor do I collect postage stamps."

Please forgive any offense my posts cause; none is intended. Let us bless the Lord ar all times.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 11:21:03 PM »
I think it's a couple of things.

First, it has been a few centuries since any saints have been canonized in the Armenian Church, and the Church had to come up with a procedure for it that would work in today's world.

Also, the Armenian Church was decimated during the Genocide.  The clergy who survived were either scattered in diaspora, or living under Soviet rule.  In fact, the Holy See of the Armenian Church was located in what became the Soviet Union, and that didn't end until about twenty years ago.  It takes longer than you think to rebuild a Church under these conditions--Genocide and seven decades of Communism. 

I'm just glad the canonization is happening.  Better late than never.   :)

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • Elder
  • The above icon is St. Athansius. I am in need of fellowship and prayers.
    • The Least of Pilgrims Liturgical Blog
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Chrismated, in a canonical jurisdiction
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 01:26:34 AM »
Yes I have studied the history of the Armenian Church after the horrible genocide in which the evil Ottoman Empire, the last caliphate until this current ISIS nightmare, tried to kill all of you, and the Syriacs/Assyrians and the Pontic Greeks for that matter.  And the Christian population of Turkey is only a fraction of what it was, a tiny fraction.  Then your homeland fell under Soviet rule, and the horrible schism between the two Catholicoi, of Etchmiadzin and Cilicia, erupted, with the murder of the archbishop in New York.  So I do understand.  Growing up the closest friends of our family were and are Armenians.

In a sense near-extermination and genocide survival has become the uniting attribute of the northern Oriental Orthodox communion.  But that's why the Christian witness is so strong, and this canonization is superb because it points out the Armenians were killed not because they were Armenian but because they were Christians.
William Inge KCVO, the Dean of St. Paul's in London from 1911-1934, when asked if he was a liturgiologist replied, “No. Nor do I collect postage stamps."

Please forgive any offense my posts cause; none is intended. Let us bless the Lord ar all times.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 09:44:21 PM »
A discussion exploring whether the Genocide Martyrs should be canonized was split off and moved:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,63788.0.html