Author Topic: Coptic monks lie down in front of bulldozers to protect ancient monastery site  (Read 231 times)

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
To protect a precious archaeological area that stretches around a church dating back to the fourth century AD, a group of Coptic monks from the Monastery of Saint Macarius have staged a resistance to a road-building project, going so far as to lie down in front of approaching bulldozers.

The Egyptian government is moving forward on a project to build a road connecting the city of Fayoum to an oasis area, passing through the territory around the ancient Coptic Monastery of St. Macarius, home to dozens of monks. The project also threatens the water supply of the monastery and some cultivated areas belonging to it.

Read more here:

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/02/27/coptic-monks-lie-down-in-front-of-bulldozers-to-protect-ancient-christian-site/

Offline Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
  • Faith: Might become Orthodox
I'm not sure how I feel about this. They're certainly more courageus men than I'll ever be. But public transit is very important and I'm sure the Egyptian government has cleared the site with archaeologists...
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Offline Alxandra

• ☦ ICXCNIKA ☦
  • Elder
    • Blog
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
God willing, I hope they do not destroy the ancient site.
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
God willing, I hope they do not destroy the ancient site.

Me too. I hope some way around can be worked out.
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
I'm not sure how I feel about this. They're certainly more courageus men than I'll ever be. But public transit is very important and I'm sure the Egyptian government has cleared the site with archaeologists...

So the monks' beliefs only count if verified  by an archaeologist?
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Lord have mercy.

St. Mark, pray for us.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company

So the monks' beliefs only count if verified  by an archaeologist?

I didn't say that. A nation needs highways, though. Sometimes there has to be some give and take.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The Purple Demon is gonna get you if you don't watch out!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
It's my understanding that the monks had offered an alternate route up which was ignored.
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
It's my understanding that the monks had offered an alternate route up which was ignored.

Ah. I guess I'm not surprised...

Offline Stavro

• OC.net guru
There has been a mutual agreement between the Church, represented by her highest officials, and the government to accept the construction of the vital highway while protecting the ancient monastic sites. 

At least this is what appears from the videos below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bdzd2Vcvk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3dd_ZyxmGk

The "monks" in Wadi EL Rayan who have been leading the opposition to this road appear to be disposed from monasticism.

I think there is an over reaction because of previous stupid governmental actions motivated by religious discrimination during Saddat's and Mubarak's administrations. This time around it was not the case.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)