OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 12:16:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Podcasts  (Read 1910 times) Average Rating: 0
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« on: February 13, 2007, 09:37:42 AM »

I have recently delved into the world of Orthodox Podcasts.  I am relatively new to this world, but have been enjoying it thoroughly.  I wanted to give a list of the podcasts I have been listening to, should anyone else be interested.

1.  Ancient Voices

2.  Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church

3.  Orthodox Word

4.  Our Life in Christ - Archive

5.  St. Sava Orthodox Church

Each is a bit different and each is good in its own way.  Today I was listening to "Our life in Christ" and their discussion on Sola Scripture.  Yesterday was the Filioque.

However, in listening to these podcasts (I do it on my commute which is about 1 hour each way), I realized how poor my pronunciation is of "terms of art".  I was raised in the Serbian Orthodox Church and I have NEVER heard Liturgy in English or even a Sermon in English (unitl I started listening to the podcasts).

I have never had ANY type of formal Orthodox study (like seminary or even Sunday school).  As a result, when I here certain words (like Filioque), the pronunciation baffles me.

When I would read on my own, I always assumed Filioque was pronounced "Filly-Oak", however as was suprised to find out it was "Filly-Oak-Way".  Is that correct?  I'm still puzzled.

Next was the word Pascha. (Serbs use Uz Krs or Veli Dan).  I had assumed it was pronounced "Pasha" and was surprised to hear "Paska".  I'm sure there are hundreds of other examples I could find.

Maybe some of you "in the know", could share any other worthwhile podcasts along with the proper pronunciation of the more difficult words for us schmucks!

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 09:51:08 AM »

Here another one from my ipod:

St. Catherine's Church.

I think it would be a good idea if people let each other know of any other Orthodox podcasts on this thread.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 12:27:02 PM »

George,

Thanks for the link and yes I agree that we should add other links.  That is what I wanted this thread to be about (along with some help for my brutal pronunciation of most Orthodox terms of art.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 04:34:35 PM »

www.ancientfaithradio.com

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 01:44:01 AM »

I was raised in the Serbian Orthodox Church and I have NEVER heard Liturgy in English or even a Sermon in English (unitl I started listening to the podcasts).

I have never had ANY type of formal Orthodox study (like seminary or even Sunday school).  As a result, when I here certain words (like Filioque), the pronunciation baffles me.

Wow, our parish's liturgy has about 45% english and I thought there wasn't enough english...so I guess I should be thankful we got english at all. Does your priest not know how to speak English very well? Perhaps he could say some litanies in english and half in serbian to please everyone.

Back to the original post, you could also try www.receive.org I think they have the podcast thing going on to.

SouthSerb, well in english it can be Paska, but since the word is of (Hebrew) and then Greek origin, its pronounced in Greek Pascha (as in khoro or KHaralambos).

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 09:17:15 AM »

Timos,

Actually my current priest speak English (quite well), it is the congregation that is the problem.  It is probably 80% new immigrants who do not speak English.  I would say of the remaining 20%, most oppose the use of English. 

We have (as far as I know) only three families where English is their first language and three families where Romanian is their first language. 

I'm not sure if this is a SOC thing, but it has been like this in every Church I've ever belonged to.  Maybe Cizinec (who is not Serbian but goes to a SOC) could tell us about his Church.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 05:21:58 PM »

^ I listen to that too. I'm not so interested in the dry theological talks as the music.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 01:25:21 PM »

Just finished listening to the four part series about Sola Scriptura on "Our Life in Christ Podcast".  I really thought it was fantastic. 

Does anyone know anything about the guys who do the radio show.  http://ourlifeinchrist.com/

Steven Robinson & Bill Gould???  A perfect example of how two guys present their points, but stay very respectful and intelligent.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 01:50:40 PM »

However, in listening to these podcasts (I do it on my commute which is about 1 hour each way), I realized how poor my pronunciation is of "terms of art".  I was raised in the Serbian Orthodox Church and I have NEVER heard Liturgy in English or even a Sermon in English (unitl I started listening to the podcasts).

I suppose the usge of English in the Serbian Church is different depending on where you are. I was at the Cathedral in Alhambra, CA on Sunday. The Liturgy was 95% in English (with Bishop Maxim celebrating). The Church in Moraga, CA is about 75% English on a normal Sunday. The Cathedral in San Francisco uses only about 10% English, although they have just recieved a new priest from Los Angeles who may introduce some changes.

I would appreciate hearing about other people's experience with this.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 01:51:36 PM by Brigidsboy » Logged

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 03:17:40 PM »

I suppose the usge of English in the Serbian Church is different depending on where you are. I was at the Cathedral in Alhambra, CA on Sunday. The Liturgy was 95% in English (with Bishop Maxim celebrating). The Church in Moraga, CA is about 75% English on a normal Sunday. The Cathedral in San Francisco uses only about 10% English, although they have just recieved a new priest from Los Angeles who may introduce some changes.

I would appreciate hearing about other people's experience with this.

I have an OCA Church less than five minutes from my house and have always contemplated going one Sunday to hear the Liturgy in English.  I'm sure they would not mind, but I felt a bit awkward (kind of like an intruder). Maybe I'll give them a call.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 11:16:57 PM »

I have an OCA Church less than five minutes from my house and have always contemplated going one Sunday to hear the Liturgy in English.  I'm sure they would not mind, but I felt a bit awkward (kind of like an intruder). Maybe I'll give them a call.

Why would you ( a Serb) feel uncomfortable in visiting an OCA (slavic rooted) Church? Is there "beef" between Russia and Serbia? Besides from what I'm told, many OCA'ers are not even ethnically Russian or are 3rd + generation. IMO, I'm Orthodox and its my God-given priviledge to recieve Orthodox sacraments in ANY Orthodox parish church (in good standing). Not to change the subject but as an aside...there is an Serbian parish like 3 minutes away from my home greek parish and I've always loved to visit it, but I was always worried that we'd be singled out as definitely not Serbian since we look (and are) Mediteranean unlike the taaaaaal Serbs with the straight, light hair Smiley
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 10:35:15 AM »

No, no beef at all.  I just thought people might think that I should "be in my home parish" instead of "visiting" theirs.  Probably a silly thought.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Tags: Orthodox Podcasts 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: