OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:16:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This explains why college students are so stupid....  (Read 1431 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: February 10, 2007, 08:11:36 PM »

No sleep means no new brain cells

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6347043.stm

Missing out on sleep may cause the brain to stop producing new cells, a study has suggested.

The work on rats, by a team from Princeton University found a lack of sleep affected the hippocampus, a brain region involved in forming memories.

The research in Proceedings of the National Academy of Science showed a stress hormone causes the effect.

A UK expert said it would be interesting to see if too little rather than no sleep had the same consequence.

Deficits

The researchers compared animals who were deprived of sleep for 72 hours with others who were not.

They found those who missed out on rest had higher levels of the stress hormone corticosterone.

They also produced significantly fewer new brain cells in a particular region of the hippocampus.

When the animals' corticosterone levels were kept at a constant level, the reduction in cell proliferation was abolished.

The results suggest that elevated stress hormone levels resulting from sleep deprivation could explain the reduction in cell production in the adult brain.

Sleep patterns were restored to normal within a week.

However levels of nerve cell production (neurogenesis) were not restored for two weeks, and the brain appears to boost its efforts in order to counteract the shortage.

Writing in PNAS, the researchers led by Dr Elizabeth Gould, said that although the role of nerve cell production in adults remained unknown, "the suppression of adult neurogenesis may underlie some of the cognitive deficits associated with prolonged sleep deprivation."

People who experience a lack of sleep experience concentration problems and other difficulties.

Sleep expert Dr Neil Stanley, based at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, said the study's findings could not be directly translated to humans because people did not go without sleep for 72 hours, unless they were in extreme circumstances.

But he added: "It is an interesting finding. It would be interesting to see if partial sleep deprivation - getting a little bit less sleep every night that you need - had the same effect."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
drewmeister2
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 08:33:05 PM »

Yeah, this is a problem in college.  I am shocked how late some people go to bed around here.  Too many people here seem to never be able to just relax, its always go go go for them.  It obviously isn't healthy lol.

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 12:25:33 AM »

Yeah, this is a problem in college.  I am shocked how late some people go to bed around here.  Too many people here seem to never be able to just relax, its always go go go for them.  It obviously isn't healthy lol.

I had a friend my freshman year who would (on many weeks) literally sleep an hour or two on weeknights, then go to bed on Fri evening and wake up Sunday afternoon.  Go figure, the guy was Pre-Med and Engineering - way to wreck your health learning to practice medicine.

The irony of my posting that is I am still in college (grad school), and have many nights without enough sleep (although my case is far from extreme - I complain about "only" 5 or 6 hours instead of my healthy 7 / 7.5 / 8.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ROCORthodox
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 12:18:19 AM »

Curious.. how much sleep do monastics usually get?  I have read anti-monastic criticism that alledges they are "sleep deprived".
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 02:38:22 AM »

On the other hand, many college students also can get way too much sleep.  I know myself, who works evenings and nights part time (ESL) I'll end up staying late, especially studying for classes the next nights and get maybe five, six hours of sleep.  Then, in between all these, I get to sleep in, usually with ten hours of sleep.  It turns into a vicious cycle of the body not getting used to a good sleep patern.  Also clearly from the inchoherincy in this post, I am currently lacking sleep.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 01:30:22 PM »

I need my sleep.  St Arsenios said that a monk only needs 3 hours and if he is a figher 1 hour.  St John Shanghaiski hardly slept and never lying down.  He had the strange habit of sleeping during a conversation. I don't think he would tell a college student who needs his sleep to do this.

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Tags: Research  Rats 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: