OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 06:19:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10K/1K !  (Read 1760 times) Average Rating: 0
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« on: April 30, 2003, 08:04:10 PM »

I was hoping to catch the turnover but I missed it ... OC.net has 10000+ posts and 1000+ topics !  There also is a huge jump in usage in the last month (even with all the prayer during Lent  Wink ) .  I think that this is potentially great news, and I would like to thank the owners, producers, coders, moderators, key grips and all who make this place run !
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 08:06:40 PM »

Wow! Cool! Cool

It has seemed to me that the site has really been growing lately. It certainly seems more active than it used to be.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 08:14:15 PM »

You're welcome, friends, but it's you who post that make things interesting.

Linus, you are our #1 poster it seems with 6.12 posts a day average (I have like 2 posts a day).

We have now 3000 posts this month, double and almost triple what we average other months. Plus, 220+ new topics this month, up 60-100 over other months.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 08:36:14 PM »

Linus, you are our #1 poster it seems with 6.12 posts a day average (I have like 2 posts a day).

anastasios

Oops! Embarrassed

Having the highest average number of posts per day puts me in mind of that verse from Proverbs:

"When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but he who restrains his lips is prudent" (Proverbs 10:19).

But I like this site a lot, so it is hard for me to be prudent, I guess. Grin
« Last Edit: April 30, 2003, 08:41:14 PM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 08:42:54 PM »

Speaking of "owners, producers", etc., how IS this site financed?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Oblio
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2003, 08:57:09 PM »

Someone hasn't been tithing ...  Shocked

Grin
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2003, 09:24:06 PM »

Speaking of "owners, producers", etc., how IS this site financed?

Actually that is an issue.  Up until now, we have never surpassed our bandwidth limit of 3 gigabytes. In non technical terms, if your website is a dam, you get charged for the amount of water that goes over it.  We have a limit of 3 gigs, but averages around 2 gigs to 2.3 gigs.  This month we went to 3.5 gigs which is over. Our provider promised not to charge us this month but says we will have to upgrade to a better plan if it happens again.

Basically, the Administrators of this site, Bobby, Mor Ephrem, and I each pay 1/3 of the amount to keep the site running each month.  As it stands, it is very reasonable.  It will still be reasonable after the increase for us, but it will not be reasonable when we get to the point where we have 4000-5000 posts a month (where I want to be by next year).

If that comes, we will create ways to pay for the site by partnering: we will continue to bear the brunt of the costs but will ask for donations, for you to shop in our store, which is linked to the main page, and we are setting up a referral service.

We're not soliciting donations now, though, as I said it is still reasonable for the three of us to pay for it out of pocket and will be unless the current trend of mega posting continues (which I hope and pray it does!!)

Thanks for asking!

anastasios

PS--Aristocles, I will be putting up more chapters of Trebizond soon.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2003, 09:32:04 PM by anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2003, 09:33:42 PM »

Thank you , Anastasios, for the answer above and the Trebizond heads-up.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2003, 09:40:09 PM »

anastasios

Oops! Embarrassed

Having the highest average number of posts per day puts me in mind of that verse from Proverbs:

"When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but he who restrains his lips is prudent" (Proverbs 10:19).

But I like this site a lot, so it is hard for me to be prudent, I guess. Grin

Linus, I was only pointing that out to congratulate you and to encourage you to keep posting!!! I like what you are doing!  Cool

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2003, 09:48:24 PM »

Linus, I was only pointing that out to congratulate you and to encourage you to keep posting!!! I like what you are doing!  

anastasios

Oh, I know that!

I was just having a laugh at myself.

Thanks for your compliments. I appreciate them. Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2003, 10:53:34 PM »

"Every day in every way we're getting better and better..."

It's good to see the site growing.  Also good to see is that it isn't always the same handful of posters(not that we don't appreciate you), and that new members are becoming vocal.  I share Anastasios' enthusiasm and hope that a year from now we will not only have more members/topics/posts but that we can provide more non-forum content, which is in the works.  Also in the works is a completely new look for OC.net, after which I'm going to try to maintain as great a marketing blitz as can be had on our nonexistant adverstising budget. Smiley  

I think that OC.net can grow to be the definitive source for online Orthodox discussion and commentary, as we grow hopefully more of the luminaries of the Church will support this ministry.  It is also good to see growth in "Orthodox-niche" boards such as ROCORCafe and the Orthodox Youth Forum.

I began this post with a rock song quote so I might as well end with one:

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades."  Cool

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: