OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 07:17:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What language(s) can you speak/write in (does not need to be fluent)?
English - 152 (31.9%)
Greek - 43 (9%)
A Slavic Language - 46 (9.6%)
Romanian - 9 (1.9%)
Spanish/Spanish Derivitive - 45 (9.4%)
Romance (Italian, French, etc) - 53 (11.1%)
German/Germanic - 37 (7.8%)
Swahili/African - 3 (0.6%)
Arabic - 19 (4%)
Coptic - 6 (1.3%)
Klingon/Binary/Other Artificial Language - 15 (3.1%)
Not listed.  Boo! - 49 (10.3%)
Total Voters: 165

Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What languages do we speak on OC.net?  (Read 36849 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: February 07, 2007, 05:38:56 PM »

What languages do we all speak?  Vote for what you speak/write in passably (not necessarily fluently).  May vote for as many languages/categories as you speak.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 06:09:58 PM »

You could have included spanish in the Romance language category and you left out a big one, Latin...which though is the basis for Romance languages, is not actually counted amongst them.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 07:10:29 PM »

Of course I could have.... But I wanted the SPanish breakout because of the sheer volume of people that would speak it.....

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 08:07:36 PM »

नमस्ते, मेरा नाम आनास्तासियोस है। मैं हिंदी कुछ कुछ बोल सकता हुँ।

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 08:13:45 PM »

नमस्ते, मेरा नाम आनास्तासियोस है। मैं हिंदी कुछ कुछ बोल सकता हुँ।

Hindi? I dont see this conversation going too far on here...but good luck with it. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 06:50:56 AM »

Hindi? I dont see this conversation going too far on here...but good luck with it. Wink

01001110 01101111 01110111 00100000 01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101100 00100000 01101111 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01101111 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 00100000 01101000 01100001 01101110 01100100 00101100 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101110 00100000 01100111 01101111 00100000 01110001 01110101 01101001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01100110 01100001 01110010 00100001

---------------------
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 12:08:45 PM »

2B204972696E69206E656D2065686D6F742CDADA5468697320697320686967686C7920616D7573696E672E

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 12:09:01 PM »

Now then, Sindarin and Quenya are hardly "artificial" languages.... unless it is meant that there is the work of an "artisan of words" in the making.

Smiley

Ebor (though I'm certainly not fluent, alas.)

And what about Japanese? is that for the last choice "boo"?

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 12:10:18 PM »

And what about Old English/Anglo Saxon?  Or Middle English? 

Not the same as Modern English by a long chalk.

Ebor  Wink

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 12:57:10 PM »

Ebor  Wink

Old English, at least, would go under 'Germanic'

dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 02:23:38 PM »

And Anglo-Norman?  Where do we put that? Smiley

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 02:25:26 PM »

Cleveland,
Do you think we should take out English, as most of us are fluent in English and it does skew the results.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 02:32:24 PM »

Cleveland,
Do you think we should take out English, as most of us are fluent in English and it does skew the results.

Well, if you take out English, then that means I don't get to vote or participate in this poll!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 02:52:16 PM »

Old English, at least, would go under 'Germanic'

Related, it is, but "not the same".   

Ebor (Anglo-Saxon separatism!!)

Grin

Cowboy

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 02:58:43 PM »

Someone should change the calculation equation on this poll. Right now the number of responses for each category are divided by the total number of responses. They should be divided by the total number of respondents. Otherwise it looks like less than 30% are fluent in English.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 03:49:38 PM »

Cleveland,

It may skew the percentages (which I really wasn't interested in), but it does serve as a "baseline," and also gives a good idea as to the makeup of our non-local population.

---------------------
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 05:02:03 AM »

It may skew the percentages (which I really wasn't interested in), but it does serve as a "baseline," and also gives a good idea as to the makeup of our non-local population.

I was under the impression we were talking about non-native languages and so I didn't vote English although I am, clearly, relatively proficient in it.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
czzham
...at work in the sonic Monastery...

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

...in pursuit of Divine Mystery...

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 07:42:27 AM »

guess I'm not a "World City-Zen"! no unity for me, just the American English I was born & raised with, although I also speak, read & understand several others... por les Euros des mois, eta pravda, faccia bella. 7 x 7 don't equal Arabic eleven... do we have that many wheels? (I know, bad pun, no Paddy 'O' Fence in-tended...).

Non-liturgical lyrics are wasted space between solos.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 08:46:58 AM »

I was under the impression we were talking about non-native languages and so I didn't vote English although I am, clearly, relatively proficient in it.

James

Oh, I guess I should have been more clear or specific.  No worries- if you're the statistical outlier, that's okay!

---------------------
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 09:47:06 AM »

So really, how many people here can speak Klingon?  Inquiring minds want to know. Wink

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 12:29:19 AM »

So really, how many people here can speak Klingon?  Inquiring minds want to know. Wink

In that list of "artificial" languages is probably included Elvish, Vulcan, etc.  I bet there is at least one person who speaks Elvish, but as for Klingon - I know GiC probably wishes he could, and I know FrChris and I have theories that he already learned a few words (ka-PLAH!).

---------------------
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2007, 02:14:32 AM »

I am gifted with the ability to hear all languages fluently.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 08:18:46 AM »

^
LOL!

Also, though I can speak only English and Spanish, I can understand related languages. I once worked with a guy who spoke French but not Spanish. I spoke Spanish to him and he French to me, and we never once had a misunderstanding. Also, when I was in Germany last summer, I had little trouble understanding the Berliners (Nein, ich nein bin ein Berliner...bad joke), even when they did not understand English (most of them did). Just some observations.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Despina
Nacho Average Greek Girl!!

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

;)

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 10:33:18 AM »

I speak English & Canadian very well Wink. I can read Greek very well, write it okay, and speak it...poorly. But I can understand it well. I know quite a bit of Serbian as well, if I hear people speak it, I know it's Serbian and not Croatian or Bulgarian.

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 05:24:22 PM »

Also, though I can speak only English and Spanish, I can understand related languages... (Nein, ich nein bin ein Berliner...bad joke)

So can I, at least in writing, which is why my English and some Russian, Spanish and Latin go pretty far.

Is the Berliner joke about ein Berliner, 'jelly doughnut'? Some say the story about JFK - that his quotation in German really translates as 'I am a jelly doughnut' - is false and 'Ich bin ein Berliner' means 'I am a Berliner' like he meant. (According to the story, in German 'I am a Berliner' is 'Ich bin Berliner'.)

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
Despina
Nacho Average Greek Girl!!

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

;)

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 06:56:26 PM »

Einai ola Ellinika gia mena.

Friar Tuck

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2007, 07:16:05 PM »

English, French, Italian, Greek, and Latin.

Friar Tuck
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2007, 09:43:44 AM »

The two languages that I call my "equally first" are Ukrainian and Russian. Ukrainian was the only language of my retired grandfather who spent as much time and effort to raise me as my parents did (if not more), and Russian was the language of my parents. The first children's books that I read were, again, in Ukrainian and in Russian. Growing up in Kyiv, the capital of the Soviet Ukraine, a city that was terribly Russified, I heard and used mostly Russian; but then I married a girl from Volyn', a part of Ukraine that retained its "Ukrainianness" better, and I switched entirely to Ukrainian at home.

English is the language I learned at school; it is the language I currently use in my everyday work and communication with Americans. The other two foreign languages I have "some idea about" (can read and understand with the help of a dictionary, albeit cannot speak fluently myself) are French and Spanish.

Certainly, being a Slav, I can recognize many words written or spoken in Polish, Czech, Slovakian, Bulgarian, etc.

Love never fails.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2007, 12:34:20 AM »

I'm somewhat fluent in a number of languages:  C#, C++, C, Java, Binary, Perl, PHP, etc. Grin

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who know binary and those who don't. Cheesy
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 01:25:08 AM »

Ebor  Wink

Ditto Modern Standard Arabic and vernacular dialects, the former functioning as once did katharevousa in Greece (shame that it's gone).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 01:28:05 AM by SamB » Logged
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 02:07:16 AM »

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who know binary and those who don't. Cheesy

Grin

I can add Romanian, French , English and most of PeterTheAleut's favorite languages Smiley
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 02:08:47 AM by ma2000 » Logged

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 02:10:33 AM »

Grin

I can add Romanian, French , English and most of PeterTheAleut's favorite languages Smiley
Another computer geek like me, eh? Wink
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 04:40:33 AM »

89 101 115 33 Tongue

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 06:24:39 AM »

Grin

With me it's swap German for French and add some very poor Czech, but other than that as for you (i.e. I'm also a computer geek to use PeterTheAleut's phrase). I'd have to leave a few off his list but add PL-SQL, T-SQL, WQL and probably a few others that don't immediately spring to mind.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Sophie

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 09:09:14 AM »

Greek, English, Spanish, French,  and some Italian. Smiley I would love to learn Farsi or Arabic, and I am in the process of learning the alphabet but I guess it is going to take a loooong time! Tongue

"Thoughts are like airplanes flying in the air. If you ignore them, there is no problem. If you pay attention to them, you create an airport inside your head and permit them to land!" (Priestmonk Christodoulos Aggeloglou, Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain Mount Athos, Greece, 1998,pp. 29-30, 48)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 07:42:57 PM »

Greek, English, Spanish, French,  and some Italian. Smiley I would love to learn Farsi or Arabic, and I am in the process of learning the alphabet but I guess it is going to take a loooong time! Tongue

Doesn't knowing Spanish help one learn Italian and vice-versa?  (I don't know either, but was considering learning the latter one).

---------------------
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 08:32:11 PM »

Doesn't knowing Spanish help one learn Italian and vice-versa?  (I don't know either, but was considering learning the latter one).

Written, not so much, but orally, yes.  Of the two, Italian is the best to learn (yes, I do have a bias  Tongue), since lexical similarities are higher between Italian and other Romance Languages (French, Romanian), compared to Spanish.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2007, 09:21:39 AM »

Written, not so much, but orally, yes.  Of the two, Italian is the best to learn (yes, I do have a bias  Tongue), since lexical similarities are higher between Italian and other Romance Languages (French, Romanian), compared to Spanish.

Oh, I'd say it's the opposite. Speaking Spanish, I find it very easy to read Portuguese, Italian, or Romanian, even if I can't pronounce the words. Italian I can understand spoken better than any other Romance language; I think Spanish and Italian are the closest in that group.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2007, 09:26:41 AM »

For me, any Romance language other than French is useful in understanding/learning others.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2007, 02:28:05 AM »

For me, any Romance language other than French is useful in understanding/learning others.

I agree. I did two years of Spanish at school and certainly can't speak it yet at university I found that my Romanian allowed me to read Spanish psychology papers without much difficulty (only needed a dictionary accasionally), I have no problem understanding Italian, Portuguese is reasonably ok to read but impossible to understand spoken. French is most definitely the odd one out. I can't get on with the language at all (and I did two years of that at school, too). I must say though, that whilst Romanians have no difficulty at all understanding Italian, I'm told that the reverse doesn't apply so much. Apparently certain phonetic changes plus loan words from languages like Slavonic make it difficult for the Italians whereas usually even if a loan word is the norm Romanian has an archaic equivalent derived from Latin as well. The grammar of Romanian is also way more complicated than Italian.

James

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2007, 02:47:41 AM »

I must say though, that whilst Romanians have no difficulty at all understanding Italian, I'm told that the reverse doesn't apply so much. Apparently certain phonetic changes plus loan words from languages like Slavonic make it difficult for the Italians whereas usually even if a loan word is the norm Romanian has an archaic equivalent derived from Latin as well. The grammar of Romanian is also way more complicated than Italian.

Like you said, for an Italian, the main issues are certain phonetic sound changes (lack of a 'qu' sound and others) and Slavic loan words.  I learned Friulian though, so it has helped.  It has influences from all over in it, so Slavic loan words are less scary.   Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Sophie

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2007, 03:42:17 AM »

Before I began to speak Spanish fluently I spoke better Italian than I do now. I do understand it but the similarities with Spanish make it difficult to distinguish between the two when I try to speak it and not say the words in Spanish, or use Spanish words with italian endings! Same goes for French. Spanish has ruined my life! lol  Cheesy Tongue

"Thoughts are like airplanes flying in the air. If you ignore them, there is no problem. If you pay attention to them, you create an airport inside your head and permit them to land!" (Priestmonk Christodoulos Aggeloglou, Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain Mount Athos, Greece, 1998,pp. 29-30, 48)
Reader KevinAndrew

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2007, 09:02:21 PM »

Between Farsi/Persian and Arabic, Persian is a heck of alot easier to learn. The grammar's simple.

For me, English (mother tongue), French, Persian / Farsi, and two years of modern Standard Arabic (I'm at intermediate level with that).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:15:11 PM by Reader KevinAndrew » Logged
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2007, 09:05:44 PM »

Glaswiegen!

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2007, 08:54:50 PM »

Hello,

My primary language is English. I can speak semi-fluent Italian (I am intending on becoming completely proficient in this language). I can also understand ecclesiastical Latin.

I am also proficient in binary, hex, ASCII, and UNICODE, C/C++, shell scripting languages, etc.. (yup, computer geek here)

I have a dappling of many other languages, but none enough to say I can know them even passably - usually just a couple of phrases or an understanding of the alphabet/pronunciation. In this list is included Croatian (my best language in this class), French, Greek, Syriac, Arabic, Hebrew, etc.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Tags: foreign languages 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: