Poll

What language(s) can you speak/write in (does not need to be fluent)?

English
187 (31.9%)
Greek
49 (8.4%)
A Slavic Language
51 (8.7%)
Romanian
11 (1.9%)
Spanish/Spanish Derivitive
56 (9.6%)
Romance (Italian, French, etc)
66 (11.3%)
German/Germanic
49 (8.4%)
Swahili/African
4 (0.7%)
Arabic
24 (4.1%)
Coptic
7 (1.2%)
Klingon/Binary/Other Artificial Language
20 (3.4%)
Not listed.  Boo!
62 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Author Topic: What languages do we speak on OC.net?  (Read 91738 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: What languages do we speak on OC.net?
« Reply #225 on: May 17, 2018, 02:27:39 AM »
Huh. Interesting. I wonder if using it too much cuts down on your ability to recognize subtle ironies, though lol.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #226 on: May 17, 2018, 10:39:52 AM »
I speak Piglatin.  ::)

Very clever.  :P

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #227 on: May 19, 2018, 03:12:06 PM »
What do you think of this, Rapha?
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #228 on: May 19, 2018, 03:48:33 PM »
What do you think of this, Rapha?
Bad list. Vorstellung is so simple. Bref and on can be very easily translated, it just won't be an 100% dynamic translation. Hellhörig is very singular, but it doesn't hold a complex concept, so it can be paraphrased. Pan(i) is just classic T-V distinction, which is usually ignored in translating to English. It's funny to know, however, that tertulia (in Portuguese, tertúlia) is such an exclusive Iberian concept.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #229 on: May 19, 2018, 04:02:12 PM »
Yeah, I would just render Pan(i) as "sir/ma'am" or "m'lord/lady."

The confusion over Vorstellung makes me think of other German etymologies like "verstehen" or "es gibt" (I feel like Heidegger's Existentialism could only really have been concocted by a German speaker lol), but those aren't really translation issues per se.

Nunch'i would probably best be rendered as "reading the room" or "empathizing" or something.

A santiguadora sounds to me like the Medieval British idea of the Bedesman (with a bit of influence from generalized "witch woman" practices). But I guess that wouldn't be any clearer to the average reader.

What bothers me most about the article is that these words are from Man Booker nominees, but maybe they were just throwing something out there half-heartedly when they were busy doing a million other things at the same time. I don't know.

So what would be your picks for really hard to translate words?

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #230 on: May 19, 2018, 04:22:59 PM »
Yeah, I would just render Pan(i) as "sir/ma'am" or "m'lord/lady."
Sometimes it's just "you". T-V distinction is an interesting thing in Portuguese. Europeans and Africans have a very simply T-V distinction in singular ("tu"/"você"), but none in plural (only "você"), but some dialects in northern Portugal preserved it for plural ("vós"/"você"). Many Brazilian dialects loss "tu", and the ones that kept it, kept it as an extremely informal pronoun (not just a T pronoun, but below that). Therefore, as soon as formal Brazilian Portuguese started to deviate from formal European Portuguese as a standard, we snipped "tu" from formal language. Eventually we started needing a V pronoun for very formal situations and started using "o senhor/a senhora/os senhores/as senhoras". This sounds ridiculously formal outside Brazil, but now we have a singular and plural V pronoun, but with usage less restrict than V pronouns in most languages.

For that matter, many Brazilian dialects (including that of Rio) have a threeway distinction. We alternate between "tu" and "você" (or most usually the contraction "cê") among close family and friends (or when we want to be really rude), we use "você" (with less frequency for "cê") consistently with people we don't know, and "o/a(s) senhor(e/a)(s)" for bosses, elders, politicians, judges, etc.

The confusion over Vorstellung makes me think of other German etymologies like "verstehen" or "es gibt" (I feel like Heidegger's Existentialism could only really have been concocted by a German speaker lol), but those aren't really translation issues per se.
Yeah, Heidegger is particularly crafty for that matter.

A santiguadora sounds to me like the Medieval British idea of the Bedesman (with a bit of influence from generalized "witch woman" practices). But I guess that wouldn't be any clearer to the average reader.
I would translate it to Portuguese as benzedeira, which is a similar office. They're still pretty strong in some regions, and Roman Catholic hierarchy often not only tolerates, but enforces their job. They're more like mystic healers than witches, though, some being pious Roman Catholics. My ex, who was born in the outskirts of a 3k-people town, was delivered by a benzedeira.

"Saudade" is often described as an extremely difficult concept to convey outside Portuguese language, but its overall meaning can usually be conveyed by "missing/longing/nostalgia". I like "cafuné", which means fondling the top of the head. "Endomingado" isn't such a common word, but I like how it may mean either "dressed up as for Sunday mass" or "depressed because it's Sunday".

From the top of my head, I recall tingo, a Rapa Nui verb meaning borrowing stuff until nothing is left. There's a book about untranslatable word with this title. There's some African language with a word for someone who always forgives two faults, but never three, and also a word in some Eskimo-Aleut language meaning constantly looking at the door to see if there are any guests. But I can't recall either.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #231 on: May 19, 2018, 06:37:05 PM »
I speak Piglatin.  ::)
Ichwhay ialectday orfay ordsway atthay artstay ithway owelsvay?
Ethay owelsvay uffixsay, Ayhay orhay/orway Ayway?
Erethay isway/ishay away/ahay Igpay Atinlay eadthray erehay.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #232 on: July 23, 2018, 09:51:27 AM »
Starting my journey into learning Spanish!

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #233 on: July 23, 2018, 09:55:56 AM »
Buena suerte ("good luck").

It's quite easy language.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #234 on: July 23, 2018, 12:51:05 PM »
Llámame si quieras charlar, amo practicar mi español. Call me if you want to chat, I love practicing my Spanish.

I find the language extremely easy too, but since it's just bastardised Portuguese, it's easier for us.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Such times are rare, such times are fleeting
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #235 on: July 23, 2018, 02:30:11 PM »
Buena suerte ("good luck").

It's quite easy language.

I found it easy as well, but I already had several years of French and Latin before then, so hardly a typical case.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #236 on: July 23, 2018, 02:34:57 PM »
Ye Olde English
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 02:35:38 PM by WPM »
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #237 on: July 23, 2018, 02:51:38 PM »
I can offer Bavarian, a German dialect which can be so strong as to be unintelligible by standard German speakers. Unfortunately, most of the youth no longer can speak it properly.
Schaud ned guad aus...

Sanctus Deus, Sanctus fortis, Sanctus immortalis, miserere nobis.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #238 on: July 23, 2018, 03:00:07 PM »
Llámame si quieras charlar, amo practicar mi español. Call me if you want to chat, I love practicing my Spanish.

I find the language extremely easy too, but since it's just bastardised Portuguese, it's easier for us.

Lol! and thanks. :)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #239 on: July 23, 2018, 03:07:00 PM »
I can offer Bavarian, a German dialect which can be so strong as to be unintelligible by standard German speakers. Unfortunately, most of the youth no longer can speak it properly.
Schaud ned guad aus...
I love Austro-Bavarian, it's my favourite German dialect! Very sad to hear from you that it has disappeared among youth.  :( Are you aware if it's the same situation on Austria or the Bavarian countryside...? I'm even sadder by the loss of Low German, which is so unique and has such a long tradition.

I can only offer fake Bavarian, like barely pronouncing "b/d/g", or putting a lot of "a" on words.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #240 on: July 23, 2018, 03:11:21 PM »

"Saudade" is often described as an extremely difficult concept to convey outside Portuguese language, but its overall meaning can usually be conveyed by "missing/longing/nostalgia". I like "cafuné", which means fondling the top of the head. "Endomingado" isn't such a common word, but I like how it may mean either "dressed up as for Sunday mass" or "depressed because it's Sunday".

I think Saudade can also be easily translated as wistful.....'having or showing a feeling of vague or regretful longing'

for me a better 'untranslatable' thing is dar um jeito.....which has way more subtleties than the dictionary allows for....
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
« Reply #241 on: July 23, 2018, 03:27:12 PM »
Schaud ned guad aus...
I love Austro-Bavarian, it's my favourite German dialect! Very sad to hear from you that it has disappeared among youth.  :( Are you aware if it's the same situation on Austria or the Bavarian countryside...? I'm even sadder by the loss of Low German, which is so unique and has such a long tradition.

I can only offer fake Bavarian, like barely pronouncing "b/d/g", or putting a lot of "a" on words.
It is somewhat better in Austria and rural Bavaria, still very much in decline.
I can speak it really well, I think, but when I talk to my grandfather, I realize how much I have been influenced by English and standard German.
I'd love to hear you speak fake Bavarian :D

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #242 on: July 23, 2018, 03:58:07 PM »
for me a better 'untranslatable' thing is dar um jeito.....which has way more subtleties than the dictionary allows for....
Never thought about that, but indeed.

Wia keat's, freind? (how are you, friend? in fake Bavarian)

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #243 on: July 23, 2018, 04:01:45 PM »
Ye Olde English

Hū gǣþ hit mid þē?
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
« Reply #244 on: July 23, 2018, 04:22:52 PM »
Never thought about that, but indeed.

Wia keat's, freind? (how are you, friend? in fake Bavarian)

Rapha, you made my day! Awesome!