Poll

What language(s) can you speak/write in (does not need to be fluent)?

English
187 (31.9%)
Greek
49 (8.4%)
A Slavic Language
51 (8.7%)
Romanian
11 (1.9%)
Spanish/Spanish Derivitive
56 (9.6%)
Romance (Italian, French, etc)
66 (11.3%)
German/Germanic
49 (8.4%)
Swahili/African
4 (0.7%)
Arabic
24 (4.1%)
Coptic
7 (1.2%)
Klingon/Binary/Other Artificial Language
20 (3.4%)
Not listed.  Boo!
62 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Author Topic: What languages do we speak on OC.net?  (Read 93601 times)

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder
  • GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
    • The Orthodox Church in Japan (belongs to church)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: J A P A N
Re: What languages do we speak on OC.net?
« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2015, 04:10:22 AM »
I speak fluently only in Japanese.
I have been taking English course since last month.
My target is to be able make arguments and good discussions in this forum especially with  Peter the Aleut and Sam G.  ;)
主や、爾の民を救い、爾の業に福を降し、吾が國に幸いを與へ、爾の十字架にて爾の住所を守り給え -TROPARION OF HOLY CROSS-

Offline Tommelomsky

• High Elder
« Reply #181 on: October 09, 2015, 01:21:14 PM »
Norwegian (my native tongue) and english fluently.
I can speak and being understood in danish and swedish too. I understand both languages perfectly
(it is amazing what TV can do for kids).

Hope to learn russian and church slavonic (if God wills it).
I will not be posting or participating here anymore.
They claim this is an Orthodox Christian forum.
Well, it is not!

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2017, 10:11:26 PM »
Native Portuguese, very fluent English and Spanish. I can read and write German and French fluently, but my hearing is average and my speaking isn't that great. I've learned Greek, Galician, Latin and Esperanto to variable degrees and have gapped yet useful skills on all of them. I'm currently trying to get formal education in Spanish without having to go through unnecessarily expensive courses and to improve my German and Greek.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline MariaJLM

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
« Reply #183 on: December 13, 2017, 02:20:14 PM »
I can speak English. Boring, I know, lol. However, I can read about five others: German, Italian, Romanian, Ukrainian, and Russian. Out of the five German is probably the one I'm most comfortable with, followed by Ukrainian as it's common in my parish(we do bilingual services). I'm a singer in my parish too so that helps me pick up the language and how it sounds.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Re: What languages does OC.net speak?
« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2017, 02:30:33 PM »
Serbian (the closest language to my heart) and of course Croatian, Bosnian etc. ;)
Polish (this one I'm most fluent in)
English
Spanish (bilingual section in High School)
Some Ukrainian
I understand quite well Russian, but unfortunately I don't speak it (I hope one day...)

I would love to study Arabic (I know writting and reading, some basic grammar and words) at the Warsaw University.
Now I'm learning Church Slavonic.
I used to study Hindi and German, but as for the first one, I know only how to read and write it and very basic things, as for the second one - I remember only a few sentences.

An update after 5 years:
I'm finishing the last (5th) year of Arabic studies at university, so I know MSA + some basics of Egyptian dialect;
I know some Farsi (Persian) - I was studying it for 2 years, but I need some practice and it's impossible here in Poland;
I can read Greek koine and Latin and understand something:
for 3 months I've been learning Romanian.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2017, 03:03:21 PM »
I know some Farsi (Persian) - I was studying it for 2 years, but I need some practice and it's impossible here in Poland;
Have you ever looked into language exchange websites like italki or My Language Exchange? Livemocha was the thing when I first tried to learn languages by myself, but I think it's paid now.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2017, 03:14:39 PM »
Have you ever looked into language exchange websites like italki or My Language Exchange? Livemocha was the thing when I first tried to learn languages by myself, but I think it's paid now.

No, but mabye I should :) ; anyway, practice means also talking and it's something different via computer or phone (frankly speaking, I don't have and even don't with to have computer camera, and I hate speaking via phone in every language :P) than in person.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #187 on: December 13, 2017, 03:23:52 PM »
Yeah, it's not the same as learning Arabic in France, Spanish in Brazil or any language in New York (language learner's paradise), but to me it helps a lot. I hate talking on the phone, but I've found it necessary to hit Skype sometimes to improve skills.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:24:08 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #188 on: December 13, 2017, 04:18:43 PM »
I was born speaking Arabic,  but that's almost all gone.   English is my home language.   I can speak very bad Arabic and French,  it would probably take me a good year of practice in each to get anywhere near where I was.   The sane is true with classic Greek.

At my height in Arabic I was probably as good at speaking it as a slow witted 5 year old (I've never been able to read Arabic).  My French was probably as good as an eight year old (I can still read French to a degree, and I'll still read an English and French text side by side of something was originally in French), and in muy prime I could comfortably slow  read large sections of Koine Greek and Classic Greek (Again,  on occasion I'll use the Greek text next to the English if I can, but my skills aren't as good as my French).   Again,  my comprehending  these languages are mostly gone now and would take practice. Use it or loose it,  and within the past decade my need for use in any of it has sadly diminished.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:24:17 PM by William T »

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2017, 05:34:11 PM »
Speak?  English, more or less.   :angel:  I could probably still read a little Spanish, but trying to speak it anymore would probably be offensive.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #190 on: May 13, 2018, 12:08:10 AM »
In addition to obviously being an English speaker, I know some French from college.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #191 on: May 13, 2018, 12:38:11 AM »
English
Pennsylvanian
.... that's it  :'(
Wait, you're Pennsylvanian "Dutch"?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #192 on: May 13, 2018, 12:42:29 AM »
Nah, it's just English

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #193 on: May 13, 2018, 12:48:27 AM »
Two semesters of German. Give me a while and I can fake my way through a text, but it won't be pretty.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2018, 11:55:01 AM »
Speak?  English, more or less.   :angel:  I could probably still read a little Spanish, but trying to speak it anymore would probably be offensive.

You sound like Snob.
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

WELS/ELCA/LCMS Church Pastor's Word

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #195 on: May 13, 2018, 12:29:54 PM »

You sound like Snob.

So English is not your native language?  8)

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
« Reply #196 on: May 13, 2018, 09:41:43 PM »

You sound like Snob.

So English is not your native language?  8)

Did you not try to pull this off a long time ago? The language is English.
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

WELS/ELCA/LCMS Church Pastor's Word

Offline Anthony1986

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Diocese of Korsun
« Reply #197 on: May 14, 2018, 10:39:00 AM »
My native language is Mandarin Chinese. I speak English fluently.

I also speak Taiwanese. In addition, I can speak Cantonese.

My Spanish level is intermediate.
O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #198 on: May 14, 2018, 10:45:11 AM »
My native languages are portuguese and spanish, Im still learning english.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2018, 12:46:53 PM »

Wow! Tell me: Chinese people usually know more than one "dialect"?

Offline Anthony1986

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Diocese of Korsun
« Reply #200 on: May 14, 2018, 02:58:31 PM »

Wow! Tell me: Chinese people usually know more than one "dialect"?

;D Well I am Taiwanese. I am from Taiwan. Most of people in Taiwan speak Mandarin and Taiwanese. Mandarin is more useful than Taiwanese. Just like Spanish is more useful than Catalan.

I watch lots of TV shows from Hong Kong and have many Cantonese friends so I can speak Cantonese.

Most of Chinese people I met from Northern China only speak Mandarin. However, people from Southern China generally speak more than one "dialect".

O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #201 on: May 14, 2018, 03:10:56 PM »
My mom was Chinese-Malaysian. Her native dialect was Hokkien but she could speak Mandarin and Cantonese. Nowadays all the kids over there are speaking Mandarin more and more and Hokkien might die out.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #202 on: May 14, 2018, 03:35:30 PM »
The death of a language always makes me sad.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #203 on: May 14, 2018, 03:48:11 PM »
Hokkien has tens of millions of speakers, so it's hard to imagine it dying out... Anyway, number of speakers and vividity of a language aren't always correlated. There are many Native American or African languages with less than a thousand speakers, but with a good age balance and widespread monolingualism (the extremely fascinating Pirahã is an example), these won't die out at all. But then compare those with Italian, French and German "dialects" with hundreds of thousands or even millions of speakers, but most of them old, practically all bilingual with their respective roof languages, and general society not even recognising their language as an autonomous one!

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if in a hundred years some of these ancient European languages had less speakers than, say, Pirahã. Maybe the same is true to some Chinese "dialects". An example of this possibly happening is how the Pomeranian language is rapidly dying out in Europe due to bilingualism, dialect-shaming and other social factors, while isolate communities of descendants of ancient migrations in Brazil preserve it lively. I've stayed in a Pomeranian-Brazilian household, they didn't speak it (curiously, they used it to quote elders when telling stories) and didn't even teach it to their younger child since they're urban, but people back in their hometown one hour away still spoke it as a daily language).

I put dialect between quotation marks because many will be doubtlessly regarded as autonomous languages in analytical definitions. Low Saxon, for instance, is considered to be a Dutch dialect in the Netherlands and a German dialect in Germany, but it's actually closer to English than either to Dutch or German! As goes the Jewish saying, a language is a dialect without an army or a fleet.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:59:39 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #204 on: May 14, 2018, 04:00:08 PM »
As goes the Jewish saying, a language is a dialect with an army and a fleet.
Fixed.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #205 on: May 14, 2018, 04:04:41 PM »
Oh, I'm sure Hokkien will still be spoken in many places; I imagine in Fujian and Taiwan it will be alright.  The problem is that Hokkien itself has localized dialects, some of which don't seem to have much future. In Malaysia, there are different Hokkien pockets with their own distinguishing characteristics, and they seem to be dying out. Of course Hokkien phrases will continue as they are used in Manglish, but overall the kids are learning Mandarin in school and their parents are speaking this to them mostly at home; even older people conversing amongst themselves use more and more Mandarin. There is a facebook page devoted to preserving Penang Hokkien and you can tell they are fighting an uphill battle.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #206 on: May 14, 2018, 04:07:37 PM »
How do they use their particular variety so distinctively in written media? Latin transcription? Otherwise, won't it look almost the same like Mandarin?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #207 on: May 14, 2018, 04:10:58 PM »
So, how much linguistic relativity do you think the existence of Pirahã proves? I'm guessing Daniel Everett takes it way too far. But the idea of being part of a culture that sees no need for counting past two or having actual words for colors is still pretty mind-blowing to me, though.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #208 on: May 14, 2018, 04:15:17 PM »
They usually use Chinese characters but it wouldn't necessarily be written the same as in Mandarin. A lot of similar phrases are said using different words/ characters. For instance, the standard Mandarin "How are you?" is Ni hao ma 你好吗 but in Hokkien you'll more likely say Li ho bo and written 你好無, which is more like "Are you good or not?" But a lot of this would depend on context and who you're talking to. And yes, I do see some of my cousins using Latin text too and sprinkling a lot of random English words too.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #209 on: May 14, 2018, 04:21:21 PM »
So, how much linguistic relativity do you think the existence of Pirahã proves? I'm guessing Daniel Everett takes it way too far. But the idea of being part of a culture that sees no need for counting past two or having actual words for colors is still pretty mind-blowing to me, though.
A lot, IMHO. I'm all for soft linguistic relativity, but the hard line that our language limits our learning is way off there to me. For a silly example, I didn't bother about the difference between deep blue and cyan before shuffling through some Russian-learning material, but after I learned they have mutually excludent words for each of these (I mean, in English and other languages you can call a cyan thing "blue" if you're not a painter or anything, but in Russian, something is either cyan - sinyj - or blue - goluboj), I learned a new concept quickly without being a Russian speaker. You probably could teach a Pirahã how to count or how to paint.

They usually use Chinese characters but it wouldn't necessarily be written the same as in Mandarin. A lot of similar phrases are said using different words/ characters. For instance, the standard Mandarin "How are you?" is Ni hao ma 你好吗 but in Hokkien you'll more likely say Li ho bo and written 你好無, which is more like "Are you good or not?" But a lot of this would depend on context and who you're talking to. And yes, I do see some of my cousins using Latin text too and sprinkling a lot of random English words too.
Oh, interesting. Sometimes some Arabic dialects are written in Latin text too, to make the distinctions more obvious. Some Lebanese and Egyptians considered make this an official thing in the past. Worked well for Malta.  :P

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #210 on: May 14, 2018, 04:31:32 PM »
When people are asking each other, "What's the Hokkien word for 'X'" they'll typically give the Chinese character and then spell it out with Latin letters. There are a couple of systems for writing out various Chinese languages in Latin script, Pinyin being the dominant one now for Mandarin. There is also a modern Chinese alphabetic system called Bopomofo which can be used to transliterate Mandarin and other dialects but it doesn't seem to be replacing the standard characters any time soon.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:31:53 PM by Iconodule »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #211 on: May 14, 2018, 04:38:21 PM »
What are the advantages of Bopomofo over Pinyin? I mean, Wade-Giles needed replacing, but Pinyin has since been adopted by the ISO. Is it just a Taiwanese political thing?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:39:02 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #212 on: May 14, 2018, 04:43:10 PM »
A lot, IMHO. I'm all for soft linguistic relativity, but the hard line that our language limits our learning is way off there to me. For a silly example, I didn't bother about the difference between deep blue and cyan before shuffling through some Russian-learning material, but after I learned they have mutually excludent words for each of these (I mean, in English and other languages you can call a cyan thing "blue" if you're not a painter or anything, but in Russian, something is either cyan - sinyj - or blue - goluboj), I learned a new concept quickly without being a Russian speaker. You probably could teach a Pirahã how to count or how to paint.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of it is "we don't really care to learn this" and thus it's hard for them, not "we can't learn this." It seems like the older folks mostly just treated Everett's counting classes as a place to socialize whereas the kids actually picked it up a little.

Now that there's Portuguese-speaking schools for them, I wonder how much the language will change. Or maybe it will just pick up a bunch of loan words.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #213 on: May 14, 2018, 04:43:49 PM »
I don't know the Bopomofo system myself but I'm told that it represents the sounds with more nuance and accuracy than Pinyin.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #214 on: May 14, 2018, 04:51:59 PM »
Hokkien has tens of millions of speakers, so it's hard to imagine it dying out... Anyway, number of speakers and vividity of a language aren't always correlated. There are many Native American or African languages with less than a thousand speakers, but with a good age balance and widespread monolingualism (the extremely fascinating Pirahã is an example), these won't die out at all. But then compare those with Italian, French and German "dialects" with hundreds of thousands or even millions of speakers, but most of them old, practically all bilingual with their respective roof languages, and general society not even recognising their language as an autonomous one!

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if in a hundred years some of these ancient European languages had less speakers than, say, Pirahã. Maybe the same is true to some Chinese "dialects". An example of this possibly happening is how the Pomeranian language is rapidly dying out in Europe due to bilingualism, dialect-shaming and other social factors, while isolate communities of descendants of ancient migrations in Brazil preserve it lively. I've stayed in a Pomeranian-Brazilian household, they didn't speak it (curiously, they used it to quote elders when telling stories) and didn't even teach it to their younger child since they're urban, but people back in their hometown one hour away still spoke it as a daily language).

I put dialect between quotation marks because many will be doubtlessly regarded as autonomous languages in analytical definitions. Low Saxon, for instance, is considered to be a Dutch dialect in the Netherlands and a German dialect in Germany, but it's actually closer to English than either to Dutch or German! As goes the Jewish saying, a language is a dialect without an army or a fleet.

Tfw Google image searching "Low Saxon" leads to a really cool chart comparing the names of the days of the week in various languages... then I click on it and end up at a Neo-Nazi blog...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:53:13 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #215 on: May 14, 2018, 04:52:50 PM »
I don't know the Bopomofo system myself but I'm told that it represents the sounds with more nuance and accuracy than Pinyin.

Oh, cool.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #216 on: May 15, 2018, 03:34:53 PM »
What are the advantages of Bopomofo over Pinyin? I mean, Wade-Giles needed replacing, but Pinyin has since been adopted by the ISO. Is it just a Taiwanese political thing?
Taiwan has always used pinyin, but they used a particular variant until they changed it to the same one as mainland China a few years ago. I have no idea of Chinese, but I've been working in a project to standardise Portuguese Wikipedia transliteration, so I had to learn something about pinyin.

Now that there's Portuguese-speaking schools for them, I wonder how much the language will change. Or maybe it will just pick up a bunch of loan words.
Men there always spoke some Portuguese. They weren't totally isolated anyway: their language has many loans (including, weirdly enough, the whole set of personal pronouns) from the Northern General Language (a Tupi-based creole with influence from many Amazonic languages and Portuguese; now a modern and stable version called Nheengatu is the major language of one medium-sized city, but that's basically it). But, who knows, maybe they eventually get their numbers from Portuguese too?

Tfw Google image searching "Low Saxon" leads to a really cool chart comparing the names of the days of the week in various languages... then I click on it and end up at a Neo-Nazi blog...
LOL! It actually sounds much more like Dutch and German than like English, but the sound laws governing Low Saxon are much nearer to English (specially for consonants), and, in the Middle Ages, Old English, Old Low Saxon and Old Frisian were just one cluster of similar dialects. They use he/se/et for he/she/it, for instance, but an English speaker would have never picked them up in a first contact because it's pronounced so German-like.

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #217 on: May 16, 2018, 01:58:28 PM »
Men there always spoke some Portuguese. They weren't totally isolated anyway: their language has many loans (including, weirdly enough, the whole set of personal pronouns) from the Northern General Language (a Tupi-based creole with influence from many Amazonic languages and Portuguese; now a modern and stable version called Nheengatu is the major language of one medium-sized city, but that's basically it). But, who knows, maybe they eventually get their numbers from Portuguese too?

I was thinking about Daniel Everett's departure from evangelical christianity (and religion), he faced a culture that lacked enough vocabulary to explain the basic doctrines of his evangelical faith. I wonder if evangelicalism' dependence on intelectual comprehension of a set of doctrines played a role there; maybe a more sacramental christianity, guided towards a set of daily practices (fasting, confession, prayer...) would be more efficient in evangelizing the pirahã.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #218 on: May 16, 2018, 02:07:01 PM »

I was thinking about Daniel Everett's departure from evangelical christianity (and religion), he faced a culture that lacked enough vocabulary to explain the basic doctrines of his evangelical faith. I wonder if evangelicalism' dependence on intelectual comprehension of a set of doctrines played a role there; maybe a more sacramental christianity, guided towards a set of daily practices (fasting, confession, prayer...) would be more efficient in evangelizing the pirahã.

So, would a hypothetical Orthodox evangelist tell them, "Don't worry about theology, just do these things?" I guess I'd have to read what Everett actually said about them. From what little I understand, the Pirahã don't even really understand the concept of "God" beyond animism.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #219 on: May 16, 2018, 02:26:18 PM »
That's really a good point. Also, I really doubt translating the Gospel would be impossible. Of course many words wouldn't exist and no one would write an Orthodox Study Bible in Pirahã, but Biblical storytelling is definitely just as possible as it is possible for them to tell stories about each other. The translator would just need to get as creative as fluent, I guess.

So, would a hypothetical Orthodox evangelist tell them, "Don't worry about theology, just do these things?" I guess I'd have to read what Everett actually said about them. From what little I understand, the Pirahã don't even really understand the concept of "God" beyond animism.
So he should have taught them about God in simple terms and associated with what they already knew as animism for comparison. The Tupians and Guaranis didn't have a clear idea of God either, they couldn't relate to the creator deity Nhanderuvuçú since he was an impersonal energy rather than an animistic entity, so missionaries translated God as Tupã, who was a powerful and more personalish god manifested by thunder, and thus greatly feared and respected by the natives.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #220 on: May 16, 2018, 03:34:09 PM »
Sounds a bit like the Etah (I might be misremembering the name, that class was about five years ago) of the Yup'ik. I should really read up on what the Orthodox missionaries did. Of course, some Yup'ik just syncretize now, the personal Christian God somehow coexists with an impersonal force.

So, did the Tupian and Gurani converts conclude that Nhanderuvuçú was just some kind of aspect of Tupã, or something like or did they just deny the existence of Nhanderuvuçú altogether?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 03:34:42 PM by Volnutt »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #221 on: May 16, 2018, 10:23:48 PM »
If they were converted beyond mere syncretism, I suspect they started ignoring Nhanderuvuçú. He's barely mentioned in primary sources.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2018, 12:11:40 AM »
I feel like the question is a bit more germane here than just put into the Random thread, but does anybody know which Ethiopic languages use the temherte slaqî and how long it's been around?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:11:53 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2018, 12:27:39 AM »
I speak Piglatin.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:28:44 AM by Jackson02 »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2018, 01:03:53 AM »
I feel like the question is a bit more germane here than just put into the Random thread, but does anybody know which Ethiopic languages use the temherte slaqî and how long it's been around?
I have no idea about Ethiopic languages, but by analogy I bet all might use it. I say this because Amharic is a roof language and I believe there's not regulation or even much tradition for other Ethiopian languages (besides, obviously, Somali). Galician, which is standardised, has a minor punctuation conflict (I say minor because Galicians have a lot of orthography-warring, but this is a subject too long for parentheses) as some insist to use Castillian punctuation (that is, inverted exclamation and interrogation points), which the Royal Galician Academy forbids, but Castillian is a roof language, so...

A random curiosity: Portuguese doesn't use inverted exclamation/interrogation, but one particular author, the great jurist Pontes de Miranda, insisted on using them because he believed they make reading easier and more intuitive. I agree with him, but since I'm not a great jurist, I'd probably look like either a gringo or an idiot if I wrote that way.

P.S.: Just found that on Wikipedia references:

Quote from: Asteraye Tsigie; Berhanu Beyene; Daniel Aberra; Daniel Yacob (1999). "A Roadmap to the Extension of the Ethiopic Writing System Standard Under Unicode and ISO-10646". 15th International Unicode Conference. p. 6
Graphically indistinguishable from U+00A1 (R) Temherte Slaq differs in semantic use in Ethiopia. Temherte Slaq will come at the end of a sentence (vs at the beginning in Spanish use) and is used to indicate an unreal phrase, often sarcastical in editorial cartoons. Temherte Slaq is also important in childrenís literature and in poetic use. Debate is needed among Ethiopian scholars to determine if inverted exclamation mark is acceptable.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:07:43 AM by RaphaCam »