OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 08:14:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wikileaks.org  (Read 1186 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: February 06, 2007, 10:30:34 PM »

Wikileaks is developing an uncensorable Wikipedia for untraceable mass document leaking and analysis. Our primary interests are oppressive regimes in Asia, the former Soviet bloc, Sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East, but we also expect to be of assistance to those in the west who wish to reveal unethical behavior in their own governments and corporations. We aim for maximum political impact; this means our interface is identical to Wikipedia and usable by non-technical people. We have received over 1.2 million documents so far from dissident communities and anonymous sources.

We believe that transparency in government activities leads to reduced corruption, better government and stronger democracies. Many governments would benefit from increased scrutiny by the world community, as well as their own people. We believe this scrutiny requires information. Historically that information has been costly - in terms of human life and human rights. Wikileaks will facilitate safety in the ethical leaking movement.

Wikileaks opens leaked documents up to a much more exacting scrutiny than any media organization or intelligence agency could provide. Wikileaks will provide a forum for the entire global community to examine any document for credibility, plausibility, veracity and falsifiability. They will be able to interpret documents and explain their relevance to the public. If a document comes from the Chinese government, the entire Chinese dissident community can freely scrutinize and discuss it; if a document arrives from Iran, the entire Farsi community can analyze it and put it in context.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 10:37:07 PM »

Excellent ideal, though I hope the site also destroys IP information to ensure anonymity, even incase of a subpoena. Yeah, if someone were to post classified or controversal information it would be prudent to use a service like Tor, but those who are not knowledgeable of such things should still be protected to ensure maximum participation and impact. True freedom is only to be found in the context of anonymity.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 10:40:28 PM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 10:45:11 PM »

I am all for transparancy in government activities!!  The general public should be aware and scrutinize what is going on in the world political arena. Unfortunately, most mega companies  (or persons) that can sway or wield any power could care less about the general public!

Juliana Tongue
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 10:47:46 PM »

Well, ensuring the free flow of information is the foundation of freedom and the most essential element in the undermining of despotism.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 10:50:43 PM »

Yeah, but what good is the free flow of information if you can't do squat to change anything!  Sometimes ignorance is bliss.  Of course I would rather know the truth and suffer, ha.

Juliana
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 10:54:44 PM »

Well, this probably isn't the form to discuss it...but that's where the right to keep and bear arms comes in Grin

But even apart from that, public opinion is essential for any government to maintain power, be it a democracy or autocracy. Look what happened in france once the monarchy lost public support...for a more recent example, look what happened to communist Russia once the people lost confidence in their government. To erode popular support is to erode the basis of any government, ignorance may be bliss but knowledge truly is power.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 11:23:33 PM »

this probably isn't the form to discuss it...but that's where the right to keep and bear arms comes in
You're right...It isn't the forum to discuss it..

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 08:42:31 AM »

You're right...It isn't the forum to discuss it..

Which is why I had no intent of discussing...only pontificating about fundamental human rights Wink

Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 07:37:29 PM »

Well, don't get your hopes up for any juicy American secrets. They were founded by Chinese dissentists, and the point is to expose injustices within African, Far Eastern, South American, and Former Eastern Bloc countries.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 07:40:24 PM »

Hopefully the State Secrets of a number of countries will find their ways onto this site; anything that advances the free flow of information is inherently good...be it in China, America, or Sub-Saharan Africa.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: