OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 09:21:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Anastasios learn modern Greek  (Read 3440 times)
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: March 15, 2007, 10:37:23 PM »

Hello everyone.  I am finally spending some time learning modern Greek formally.  I figured I'd make a thread where I can post questions I have from my textbook and other things.  The textbook I use is Greek Today and it's pretty good but sometimes they have the habit of not translating idioms so when I look up the words individually they make sense but together they do not.

The first such instance is:

(a taxi driver discussing how the rate is calculated): Ένα λεπτό να πάρω κι αυτόν τον κύριο.

Thanks for your help.

In Christ,

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 05:06:30 AM »

Ένα λεπτό         ÃŽÂ½ÃŽÂ± πάρω          κι    αυτόν τον κύριο.
One minute    for me to take    and   this gentleman.

"Just a minute, I will also take this gentleman (to his destination)."

If you asked the taxi driver how much the fare is, he is telling you that he will be taking another passenger, therefore you will be splitting the fare with him, which will be cheaper for you.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 06:53:53 AM »

Hmm...if we put the context of discussion of fares aside, could it not also mean something close to 'one minute so that I/so I may take also this gentleman over to his destination'?  Nα has eluded me in its meanings more than once, and in this case the word sounds similar in meaning to 'la/ta' as we would say in Arabic; the context of cabs taking more than one passenger (serveeses, as we call them) -- something we have ourselves -- the things that might be said in such situations, as well as the syntax and general manner of expression in the Greek above resembling the Arabic vernacular make it seem that this may also be meant.  Can someone confirm that?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 07:02:00 AM by SamB » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 09:29:06 AM »

Hmm...if we put the context of discussion of fares aside, could it not also mean something close to 'one minute so that I/so I may take also this gentleman over to his destination'?  Nα has eluded me in its meanings more than once, and in this case the word sounds similar in meaning to 'la/ta' as we would say in Arabic; the context of cabs taking more than one passenger (serveeses, as we call them) -- something we have ourselves -- the things that might be said in such situations, as well as the syntax and general manner of expression in the Greek above resembling the Arabic vernacular make it seem that this may also be meant.  Can someone confirm that?
"Nα" differs in meaning depending on the context. It can mean "in order that..." or "so that..." (which is the meaning in this case). It can also mean "May it..." or "let it..." as in the case when monastics reply to an instruction to do something with: "να είναι ευλογημένο" ("Let it be blessed".)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 09:30:14 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 10:20:01 AM »

... he is telling you that he will be taking another passenger, therefore you will be splitting the fare with him, which will be cheaper for you.

Well, at least it is SUPPOSED to be chaeaper. This IS Greece, ya know!
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 10:43:58 AM »

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I LOVE the new pic, Tom! Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 12:29:13 PM »

"Nα" differs in meaning depending on the context. It can mean "in order that..." or "so that..." (which is the meaning in this case).

I thought as much (so then, it is the same as the Arabic word I mentioned).  So would the sentence as a whole mean what I suggested before?

Also, can Nα with a conjugated verb following function as an infinitive in English would when for example taking the role of a direct object?  To illustrate, 'I want to eat': Thelo na trowo, is it?
Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 04:55:55 PM »

Να is a participle (we call it molecule-μόριο, in modern greek grammar) that usually suggests the subjunctive mood (Να+indicative mood=subjunctive mood)
Quote from: SamB
Also, can Nα with a conjugated verb following function as an infinitive in English would when for example taking the role of a direct object?  To illustrate, 'I want to eat': Thelo na trowo, is it?

Pretty much, yes (in ancient Greek "Thelw na faw-Θέλω να φάω", would have been "Thelw fagein-Θέλω Φαγείν" or "Thelw Esthiein-Θέλω Eσθίειν, which is a more poetic expression. This verb-εσθίω-plus the negative participle ne-νη, forms the word νη+εσθίω=νηστεία (fast) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: