Author Topic: Metropolitan Kallistos of Diokleia - Honourary Doctorate  (Read 376 times)

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
Metropolitan Kallistos of Diokleia - Honourary Doctorate
« on: June 21, 2015, 12:46:40 PM »
Metropolitan of Diokleia Kallistos Ware, addresses the academic staff and students of the School of Theology of the Aristotelian Uni of Thessalonika on the occasion of him accepting an honourary doctorate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVgJzZCjiqE

I'm used of listening to him speaking in English, he speaks Greek rarely, I must say his Greek is astonishing.
Ἦχος Βαρύς

Ὁπλιτικῆς φάλαγγος οἰκεῖον μέλος
ὁ τοῦ βάρους σὺ κλῆσιν εἰληφῶς φέρεις.
Ἧχον τὸν ἁπλοῦν τὸν βάρους ἐπώνυμον
ὁ τοὺς λογισμοὺς ἐν βοαῖς μισῶν φιλεῖ.
Ἀνδρῶν δὲ ἄσμα δευτερότριτε βρέμεις.
Ὧν ποικίλος δὲ τοὺς ἁπλούς ἔχεις φίλους.

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church
Re: Metropolitan Kallistos of Diokleia - Honourary Doctorate
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 12:55:36 PM »
That man has fallen in to arrogant love of his own voice and accent. Too bad he is teaching heterodox theology. Those who recognize Latin Church as some sister Church are heterodox.
You pushed away the severe storm!
You made us believe comrade Kim Jong Il!
We are unable to live without you
Our country is unable to survive without you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yne-IsHzne4

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 02:35:54 PM »
That man has fallen in to arrogant love of his own voice and accent. Too bad he is teaching heterodox theology. Those who recognize Latin Church as some sister Church are heterodox.

I would agree with that assessment.

I'm used of listening to him speaking in English, he speaks Greek rarely, I must say his Greek is astonishing.

Were these remarks prepared for him by another?  I didnt know he was a Greek speaker.
Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Offline IreneOlinyk

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 02:40:08 PM »
How can you say that?  He is a respected scholar and a hierarch of the EP?  How is his thoelogy differnt from that of the Patriarch of Constantinople?

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 02:45:20 PM »
How can you say that?  He is a respected scholar and a hierarch of the EP?  How is his thoelogy differnt from that of the Patriarch of Constantinople?

Who said Patriarch is better than him?

Saint Photius is respected scholar, metropolitan Kalitos is respected ecumenist.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 02:45:54 PM by Pravoslavac »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • The Most Blessed Tikhon: Last Among Equals
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 04:01:36 PM »

On what basis?
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
  • Φέρ' ὕδωρ φέρ' οἶνον, ὦ παῖ!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 04:04:29 PM »

On what basis?

As an Oxford don Met. Kallistos has a bit of an affected RP accent. Nothing out of the ordinary for his environments. I rather like it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 04:09:52 PM by Cyrillic »
At nunc desertis cessant sacraria lucis:
aurum omnes victa iam pietate colunt.
-Propertius, Elegies III.XIII:47-48

νίκας τοῖς Βασιλεῦσι κατὰ βαρβάρων δωρούμενος

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 04:29:27 PM »

On what basis?

Ive heard too many speeches where it appears that Met. Kallistos speaks only to speak so he can hear himself. An opinion.
Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Offline Sam G

• Minister of Silly Walks
  • High Elder
  • My walk has become rather sillier lately....
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Old Rite
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 04:39:23 PM »

On what basis?

Ive heard too many speeches where it appears that Met. Kallistos speaks only to speak so he can hear himself. An opinion.

So what? People pay him to speak. It's not like he forces open the doors and rushes the stage of those conferences. Thousands, if not millions of people have been introduced to the Church because of the work he's done.
This user doesn't post here enough.

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 04:50:21 PM »

On what basis?

So what? People pay him to speak. It's not like he forces open the doors and rushes the stage of those conferences. Thousands, if not millions of people have been introduced to the Church because of the work he's done.

Folks like him will be the reason when schism appears in the Orthodox Church. I don't plan to be in communion with Rome or to compromise with any other heterodox. He is raping Orthodox Church teaching on the dignity of the Orthodox Church. He thinks we are stupid to believe Vatican can convert, the only one who can convert is him and other ecumenists.

Offline Sam G

• High Elder
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 04:51:04 PM »

On what basis?

Folks like him will be the reason when schism appears in the Orthodox Church. I don't plan to be in communion with Rome or to compromise with any other heterodox. He is raping Orthodox Church teaching on the dignity of the Orthodox Church. He thinks we are stupid to believe Vatican can convert, the only one who can convert is him and other ecumenists.

Proof.

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 04:55:27 PM »

On what basis?

Proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWBeOBOFAUA

This is repulsing.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 04:57:09 PM by Pravoslavac »

Offline Sam G

• High Elder
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »

On what basis?

Proof.

This is repulsing.

Strange, I didn't here Metropolitan Kallistos denounce the Orthodox faith during that video. My speakers must not be working properly.

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 05:10:13 PM »

Were these remarks prepared for him by another?  I didnt know he was a Greek speaker.
Me neither, I know he was a monk in Patmos for a number of years, therefore he must have learnt the language at least in conversational level; the language he uses in his address though, is formal and not the usual vernacular demotic, which I did not expect.
I too have a few objections to some of his theses, yet he has introduced so many people of the Anglosphere to Holy Orthodoxy; I'm in no position to judge him as I've done nothing comparable to this achievement. I wish him many years.   
Ἦχος Βαρύς

Ὁπλιτικῆς φάλαγγος οἰκεῖον μέλος
ὁ τοῦ βάρους σὺ κλῆσιν εἰληφῶς φέρεις.
Ἧχον τὸν ἁπλοῦν τὸν βάρους ἐπώνυμον
ὁ τοὺς λογισμοὺς ἐν βοαῖς μισῶν φιλεῖ.
Ἀνδρῶν δὲ ἄσμα δευτερότριτε βρέμεις.
Ὧν ποικίλος δὲ τοὺς ἁπλούς ἔχεις φίλους.

Offline Tikhon29605

• High Elder
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 05:23:49 PM »
His Greek is beautiful!  If I recall correctly not only did His Eminence learn Classical and Koine Greek in college, when he became Orthodox he spent quite a bit of time at the Monastery of St. John on the island of Patmos and also learned Demotik Greek there as well.  May God grant him many, many more years!

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
  If I recall correctly not only did His Eminence learn Classical and Koine Greek in college, when he became Orthodox he spent quite a bit of time at the Monastery of St. John on the island of Patmos and also learned Demotik Greek there as well.  May God grant him many, many more years!

Met. Ware is a classicist by education, but I suppose Apostolos meant katharevousa when he said formal.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:25:21 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 05:26:28 PM »
Bp. Ware's lectures were among the first things I listened to, when I was first getting interested in Orthodoxy.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • The Most Blessed Tikhon: Last Among Equals
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 05:42:44 PM »

On what basis?

Interesting.  I, too, have heard many speeches, both online and in person, and I never got that impression. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 06:51:39 PM »

On what basis?

Proof.

This is repulsing.

Strange, I didn't here Metropolitan Kallistos denounce the Orthodox faith during that video. My speakers must not be working properly.

He is there with his delegation to bring Orthodox and Catholic Church closer.

Let me ask you, would Orthodox Church defeat Aries heresy if it acted like this?

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 06:54:02 PM »

Pravoslavac is one of those anti-western Serbs. Not strangling the Pope with his own intestines if you get the chance probably equals apostasy to him.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 06:54:32 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Sam G

• High Elder
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 07:03:59 PM »

Let me ask you, would Orthodox Church defeat Aries Arian heresy if it acted like this?

St. Basil the Great describing relations with those who denied the Divinity of the Holy Spirit:
For I am convinced that by longer association together and by mutual experience without strife, even if there should be need of some addition being made for clarification, the Lord who works all things together unto good to such as love him will give it.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• Elder
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 07:09:58 PM »

Pravoslavac is one of those anti-western Serbs. Not strangling the Pope with his own intestines if you get the chance probably equals apostasy to him.

Thank you that explains a lot.  I dare say then I should not expect a logical unemotional reply from him.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:12:39 PM by Arachne »

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • Archon
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 07:16:20 PM »
I myself love the voice of Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, it soothes and comforts me.  Whatever His Eminence affirms as Orthodox, I will accept as Orthodox, and I agree with nearly all he has written (differing only on the matter of the height and configuration of a Byzantine Rite iconostasis).  May God grant him many years!  :D :D

And indeed on that sad day when he does leave us, I will be among the first in line to advocate his glorification.  8)

In fact I am reminded a bit of the excessive zeal Roman Catholics had for relics of mewly deceased ascetics whose canonization was certain...I feel if I lived 500 years ago I would want dibs on His Eminence's most beautiful head.  :P   (I jest of course, I am referring to the famous "translation (or perhaps, abduction)" of the head of St. Catharine of Sienna by residents of her hometown).

Fortunately in the Orthodox Church we prefer to leave the incorrupt remains of our saints intact in their resplendant beauty, amd this is for the best.  But I really do love Meteopolitan Kallistos; no other academic or scholar helped me as much during the painful time of my life in which Orthodox worship allowed God to become my strength and my comfort, and the writings and lectures of His Eminence taught me how to fully enter into and experience the heavenly refuge for the soul that God has provoded us in the Apostolic faith.  I hope to meet him or see him in this life.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:21:44 PM by wgw »
Antisemitism, racism and prejudicial nationalism should have no place in Orthodoxy.  For to paraphrase  St. Paul, there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither male nor female, slave or freeman, in the Christian Church.

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 07:18:29 PM »

Cyrillic is one of those Holland guys who hate the Serbs because of CNN. Trust me, i have no empathy for the Serbian Nation. I never ever mentioned my nation in this debate. Serbian Nation has nothing to do with the holy that forbid hanging out with heterodox. God forbid to pray with them.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:20:44 PM by Pravoslavac »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2015, 07:18:45 PM »
I like the Bishop's voice too. :)

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • Archon
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 07:19:24 PM »

Let me ask you, would Orthodox Church defeat Aries Arian heresy if it acted like this?

St. Basil the Great describing relations with those who denied the Divinity of the Holy Spirit:
For I am convinced that by longer association together and by mutual experience without strife, even if there should be need of some addition being made for clarification, the Lord who works all things together unto good to such as love him will give it.

Sam, that is a very profitable and interesting quote on how we should relate with our fellow Christians whomare either heterodox but not anathema, or who are seeking ecumenical reconciliation with us.  Do you have the source?

I like the Bishop's voice too. :)

That makes two more of us to join His Eminence's fan club.  I love the way he beautifully pronounces a Greek theological term and then explains it in perfect Oxford RP English.   Slow, steady, and relaxed, not hurried or self-effacing like the old "BBC Accent," which was really a degenerate form of Received Pronunciation, like the difference between an anonymous American TV reporter, and the voice of, say, Gregory Peck or Robert Stack.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:28:31 PM by wgw »
Antisemitism, racism and prejudicial nationalism should have no place in Orthodoxy.  For to paraphrase  St. Paul, there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither male nor female, slave or freeman, in the Christian Church.

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 07:33:04 PM »
I like the bishops voice and accent too, but i don't like his heterodox ecumenist approach towards Rome.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 11:00:56 PM »
This is the Greek Language forum. Why is nobody discussing Metropolitan Kallistos's use of Greek in his speech?
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαυμά!
  • OC.net guru
  • Πρώτο ο Θεός
  • Jurisdiction: GOA - Direct Archdiocesan District
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 11:07:46 PM »
This is the Greek Language forum. Why is nobody discussing Metropolitan Kallistos's use of Greek in his speech?
Multiple people have brought it up.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2015, 11:09:11 PM »
Yet nobody's discussing it.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαυμά!
  • OC.net guru
  • Πρώτο ο Θεός
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2015, 11:10:27 PM »
You're keeping up the trend.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαυμά!
  • OC.net guru
  • Πρώτο ο Θεός
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2015, 11:15:39 PM »
I'm not sure I would characterize his Greek as "beautiful." He is definitely very capable in speaking the language, but there is a certain lack of rythm and obvious accent present. Greek consonants aren't as "hard" as Westerners like to make them, either. No faulting him, though, all of that is common, and his knowledge of the language far exceeds mine! You can tell he's a classicist, though!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2015, 11:26:43 PM »
You're keeping up the trend.
No, I'm trying to get people to discuss it. I neither speak nor understand Greek, so it will need to be someone else.