OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 01:14:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Romans 6:5 "Likeness"  (Read 352 times)
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: June 26, 2014, 02:19:40 AM »

"For if we have been united together in the likeness of His Death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His Resurrection,"-Romans 6:5.

I was taught that the Mystery of Baptism is not merely done "in the likeness" of Christ's Death and Resurrection but is truly a real, ontological participation in Christ's real Death and Resurrection.

The phrase "likeness" seems to suggest as the Protestants say that it's merely a symbol and not a true participation in these real events of Christ's life, which is why I assumed Baptism was considered a Mystery.

That being said, what exactly did St. Paul mean by the phrase "likeness" in the original Greek? What does it mean in the context of this passage, and is "likeness" an accurate translation or does the Greek word--which I believe is "homoiōmati" carry a different meaning?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 02:42:00 AM »

homo means same.

Anyway, I think you are reading too much into a single passage.

"When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.” -Martin Luther King Jr.
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

(N.B. Ebullient not educated)

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 02:44:52 AM »

The root is ὁμός, "one and the same," but I'm sure you could find that yourself. It's a common enough word that a list of usages seems as long as your arm, but "in the likeness" strikes me as a perfectly good translation. It's interesting that the word is hardly found outside Romans.

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: