OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 11:06:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Got It!  (Read 1087 times) Average Rating: 0
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« on: January 31, 2007, 04:18:34 PM »

You know  Sad  There's been a lot of discussion on this board about Orthodox Unity and cradles versus converts and heavier and weightier political matters within the church. I think that I stumbled upon a way to foster unity that may be the beginning of a grass roots movement.    Let's have fun together.  Orthodox can be fun people. We have ethnic festivals and summer picnics, pig / lamb roasts, camp for the kids and winter retreats and spring break for the college age and hufli's and polka parties.  Instead of partying within our jurisdictions lets party across jurisdictions.  What if the hierarchs got together to announce a joint picnic say with OCA and AOC or a joint polka party with ACROD and SOC (boy the slivo would flow).. After we get together for fun ti would be hard not to get to like one another and sit down and talk about weightier matters.  Any thoughts or am I just barking up the wrong bottle of slivovitz?

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 07:38:44 PM »

Well, if there is one constant throughout all the Orthodox Cultures it is a love of drinking and partying...the trick is getting everyone in one place long enough to start the party. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 08:30:21 PM »

Well, as long as the Serbians aren't included. They are mean drunks.  Cheesy
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 09:20:31 PM »

I became convinced that if you really want Orthodox unity, advocate the government to stop bringing immigrants for about 200 years.  Then grassroot levels would slowly force jurisdictions to unity due to second and third generation open-minded Orthodox.  Finally, you will have nothing but English speaking Orthodox, and then you can open immigration, where immigrants are finally forced to adapt to an American Orthodox Church.  Smiley

(I am the son of immigrants, but I get quite bitter about it; I'll never be able to be a good priest...lol).

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 09:48:54 PM »

Aserb,
I think it's a great idea.  However, let's leave the hierarchy out of it.  I think that sometimes the biggest impediment to Orthodox unity in this country is the bishops themselves!
Let's Party!!! 

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 02:11:46 PM »

Carpatho R

I agree.

Did I get a reply form TomS. Is he back !!!!!!!!1  Shocked

Notice how few replies my thread got so far. I think people on this site would rather debate the minute details of the canons and rag on each other. Living the Orthodox faith is important and many people lose sight of that. That includes fasting and feasting  Wink

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 02:22:45 PM »

A good idea, and Lord knows where there's an open bottle and food, I'm all over it.  I do think there would be a couple of problems though with planning and/or implementing such a thing.

One is that, at least in our area, I get the distinct impression that the priest's don't maintain close ties across jurisdictional lines.

The other is that such a thing would take time and effort on the part of lay people to make happen, and often trying to orchestrate that can be like pulling teeth.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 02:36:09 PM »

Man, I can attest to the fact that this works.

We had a marriage of two young folks in our parish several months back, and the groom was a son of converts and the bride a cradle, so everybody came out.

Ah-mazing.  Hopak abounded, as did the liquor and food (ah...the food...).

We all smile at each other a little more warmly after that night (that, and we probably all have dirt on each other based on how we (must have) acted!).

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 02:44:03 PM »

Just a comment....the Father was telling me yesterday that he celebrated a wedding with the SOC Father in Edmonton last year.  So it does happen.

Great idea, but wouldn't everyone be too drunk to accomplish any dialogue?? Or maybe too drunk to fight about their differences?? Lol.

Postolowka

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: